Mormons' Interest in Judaism-Questions

Guest stephanders57

Guest stephanders57

I am quite curious to know why Mormons are dedicated to learning about Judaism and studying Hebrew. As a person of Jewish faith, I am fascinated with Mormonism and would like to learn more about the relationship between both faiths. I do not wish to convert because of my loyalty to my heritage but wish to broaden my knowledge.

Thank you

I am quite curious to know why Mormons are dedicated to learning about Judaism and studying Hebrew. As a person of Jewish faith, I am fascinated with Mormonism and would like to learn more about the relationship between both faiths. I do not wish to convert because of my loyalty to my heritage but wish to broaden my knowledge.

Thank you

There are many reasons. The Hebrew approach to God is unique and beautiful. Egyptians, Sumerians and all other ancient religions that I am aware of, view the creation of the earth as something the gods did to increase their own power or status. People were created to serve and in most cases DIE for their gods.

In the Hebrew religious tradition, however, we have a God that creates the earth and all things, for the benefit of the people, not Himself. We have a God that seeks to bring people joy(1), a God that seeks to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man"(2).

We also have a God that teaches us to serve one another(3), and charity is not focused on some implacable, unreachable god, but on our own fellow man, sponsored and cherished by a kindly and loving God.

Add to that the prophets, the commandments, the covenants, that Jesus was a Jew, well, it sure makes sense to me. And as a Christian, Tiferet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as a type of Christ, is really impressive!

HiJolly

(1) 2 Ne. 2: 25

25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.

(2) Moses 6: 59

59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory;

(3) Mosiah 2: 17

17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

Jesus was a Jew. We believe the Old Testament to be the word of God and that is as important to us as the New Testament.

I don't believe this, myself. Jesus was born of Jewish heritage, but how can Christ be anything but Christian? And the Jews followed strict obedience to many laws, and Christ, having fulfilled them Himself, had moved beyond them.

I'm interested in Judaic beliefs and Hebrew, and especially early Judaic beliefs, because I believe they had much of the early Gospel. There's much to be learned there, even if we believe many of the Laws have been fulfilled... There's reasons for them, and perhaps other insights into the nature of the universe.

Thank you

It's an interesting notion to be loyal to the faith of our fathers.

there is a great talk given by one of our general authorities in the most recent conference on this very same subject.

Faith of Our Father

it's a wonderful talk based around the fact that almost all members of the LDS church are converts and that the denomination of our fathers may be different from our own. but the faith is still the same, the faith we had in god is sstill the same if not stronger.

though he puts it in better words than i could ever hope to do.

A Christian is one who follows the TEACHINGS of Christ. I think He did that pretty well, and led by example.

You can't be Jew and Christian, that doesn't work.

They were BORN Jews or from Jewish lineage, but that doesn't...

Okay, so I don't believe Jesus was a Jew, that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe then you don't call Him a Christian. Fine... Then He's neither. He's Messiah. ;)

Edit: Also, He's Mormon.

A Christian is one who follows the TEACHINGS of Christ. I think He did that pretty well, and led by example.

You can't be Jew and Christian, that doesn't work.

They were BORN Jews or from Jewish lineage, but that doesn't...

Okay, so I don't believe Jesus was a Jew, that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe then you don't call Him a Christian. Fine... Then He's neither. He's Messiah. ;)

Edit: Also, He's Mormon.

Jesus was Jewish, both genetically (remember, the matriarchal bloodline is the one that counts) and religiously. There's no question about it, VOL. Read your NT and see.

HiJolly

My vote:

"Jewish" is both an adherent to the Jewish faith, and also a member of the Jewish culture/descended from Jewish parents. Jesus sort of doesn't fit the first definition, but He certainly fit the second. You would be insulting his mother to deny him that association. A member of my ward is Jewish.

'Christian' and 'Mormon' (Or member of CoJCoLDS) are people who follow Christ - it's an identification of the faith we belong to - it has nothing to do with who your parents were. It makes little sense to assign either title to Jesus Christ, as He's sort of the focal point, the basis for the faith. He's not an adherent of it.

LM

Guest stephanders57

In another of your posts, you state a member in your ward is Jewish. How is that possible? I thought all members in a ward must be Mormon. And could you kindly explain what a ward is?

Thank you!

Hi stephanders!

Sometimes I think of mormons, as Christians who actually read the Old Testament. We are very much aware of the importance of the Abrahamic covenant, and we consider ourselves adopted into his line. I get there through Ephraim.

LM

Guest stephanders57

That is interesting. How does this person who is Jewish and Mormon handle both faiths? I often wondered how that would be had I married a Mormon.

'Christian' and 'Mormon' (Or member of CoJCoLDS) are people who follow Christ - it's an identification of the faith we belong to - it has nothing to do with who your parents were. It makes little sense to assign either title to Jesus Christ, as He's sort of the focal point, the basis for the faith. He's not an adherent of it.

LM

How can the Head of the Church not be a member of it?

In another of your posts, you state a member in your ward is Jewish. How is that possible? I thought all members in a ward must be Mormon.

As I mentioned before, "Jewish" is both an adherent to the Jewish faith, and also a member of the Jewish culture/descended from Jewish parents. So the person I'm talking about is a Mormon, which means he's accepted Christ and been baptized into my church, but he still considers himself Jewish, as his mother was Jewish, and he's part of that culture.

I would assume "Jews for Jesus" would be another example of Jewish people who no longer follow Jewish practice (although they might describe it differently).

And could you kindly explain what a ward is?

A ward is just an organizational unit in my church. A ward is like a parrish, a stake is like a diocese.

LM

How can the Head of the Church not be a member of it?

It would seem that the nature of what a church actually is, would just by definition not have the object of worship be a member.

Churches are different than corporations or clubs, in that we rarely worship the president of IBM or the chess club. (At least most people don't do that...)

LM

Vision why do you always seem to want to argue....? just curious...

I for one grew up with Jewish neighbors who were treated very badly ( rock through window) etc. We were their neighbors and friends. We learned to love music ( they were both musicians ) We went to concerts they played in and , had barbeque's etc. We also got to experience some great food and learn the meaning behind some wonderful Jewish traditions. We participated in some traditions and all the while were mormons. I was a great experience.

It is interesting but most Jews today are secular or non-observant Jews, even in Israel. Many stores and businesses remain open on the Sabbath and in general if they would live outside of Israel there may be nothing to distinguish them from the rest of us "gentiles". That is not to say that there a also many that are very serious about their religion.

In that context, tt is an element of self-identification like saying "I am Irish or Italian or French-Canadian" when we refer to our ancestry and origins. I think most people are driven to seek self-identification. this is just an example.

It would seem that the nature of what a church actually is, would just by definition not have the object of worship be a member.

Churches are different than corporations or clubs, in that we rarely worship the president of IBM or the chess club. (At least most people don't do that...)

LM

Heavenly Father is who we worship, not Christ. Even Christ worships the Father.

Cryts: I voice my opinions, and it's arguing? I'm not always going to agree with people, and I'd like to find out why we disagree.

Guest stephanders57

Islander,

It is not true that "most Jews today are secular or non-observant Jews". That is like saying most Mormons are part of a sect, live in Utah, and believe in polygamy. There are many Jews who do observe the Sabbath, do follow the laws of the Torah, and do keep Kosher. There are many observant Jews throughout the country and world. And different branches of Judaism.

Islander

Junior Member Join Date: May 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is interesting but most Jews today are secular or non-observant Jews, even in Israel. Many stores and businesses remain open on the Sabbath and in general if they would live outside of Israel there may be nothing to distinguish them from the rest of us "gentiles". That is not to say that there a also many that are very serious about their religion.

In that context, tt is an element of self-identification like saying "I am Irish or Italian or French-Canadian" when we refer to our ancestry and origins. I think most people are driven to seek self-identification. this is just an example.

Cryts: I voice my opinions, and it's arguing? I'm not always going to agree with people, and I'd like to find out why we disagree. ___

Vision- I am glad you have so much knowledge its a good thing but to me it seem you want to make points but not listen to what others say exeppt to show them where their wrong. Pointing out someones errors all the time dosen't promote brotherly love... You can debate points of scripture all day and in the end are you any closer to your bro or sister....Mabey this is due to your age and inexperience but I really do like the info you sometimes share just not always your delivery.... then again its all how you read it huh....... peace to you.........