1 Nephi 1:1

Heather

1 Nephi 1:1
I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

Quotes for Discussion

Goodly Parents

Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God.
The Family: A Proclamation to the World, Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102

After all, to do well those things which God ordained to be the common lot of all man-kind, is the truest greatness. To be a successful father or a successful mother is greater than to be a successful general or a successful statesman. One is universal and eternal greatness, the other is ephemeral….Let us not be trying to substitute an artificial life for the true one.
Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, pp 285-286

The newspapers give front page to ever increasing acts of violence, and magazines devote pages to the growing menace….Can it be arrested? ….The answer is yes…The Lord has given us a plan so simple, so costless. It requires a change of attitudes and a transformation of lives. But the answer has always been here though ignored by the masses because it requires that sacrifice and dedication which men are reluctant to give….But the Lord…gives promise to return the world to sane living, to true family life, to family interdependence. It is to return the father to his rightful place at the head of the family, to bring mother home from social life and employment, the children from near total fun and frolic….An early American prophet said: “I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; … yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore, I make a record. …”[1 Nephi 1:1].
Spencer W. Kimball, Conference Report, Apr. 1965, p. 60-61
Spencer W. Kimball, “Home: The Place to Save Society,” Ensign, Jan 1975, 3

But no child in this Church should be left with uncertainty about his or her parents devotion to the Lord Jesus Christ, the Restoration of His Church, and the reality of living prophets and apostles who, now as in earlier days, lead that Church according to the will of the Lord, the mind of the Lord, the word of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation. In such basic matters of faith, prophets do not apologize for requesting unity, indeed conformity, in the eloquent sense that the Prophet Joseph Smith used that latter word. In any case, as Elder Neal Maxwell once said to me in a hallway conversation, “There didn’t seem to be any problem with conformity the day the Red Sea opened.”

Parents simply cannot flirt with skepticism or cynicism, then be surprised when their children expand that flirtation into full-blown romance. If in matters of faith and belief children are at risk of being swept downstream by this intellectual current or that cultural rapid, we as their parents must be more certain than ever to hold to anchored, unmistakable moorings clearly recognizable to those of our own household. It won’t help anyone if we go over the edge with them, explaining through the roar of the falls all the way down that we really did know the Church was true and that the keys of the priesthood really were lodged there but we just didn’t want to stifle anyone’s freedom to think otherwise. No, we can hardly expect the children to get to shore safely if the parents don’t seem to know where to anchor their own boat. Isaiah once used a variation on such imagery when he said of unbelievers, [Their] tacklings are loosed; they could not strengthen their mast, they could not spread the sail.

Live the gospel as conspicuously as you can. Keep the covenants your children know you have made. Give priesthood blessings. And bear your testimony! Don’t just assume your children will somehow get the drift of your beliefs on their own. The prophet Nephi said near the end of his life that they had written their record of Christ and preserved their convictions regarding His gospel in order to persuade our children that our children may know [and believe] the right way.

Nephi-like, might we ask ourselves what our children know? From us? Personally? Do our children know that we love the scriptures? Do they see us reading them and marking them and clinging to them in daily life? Have our children ever unexpectedly opened a closed door and found us on our knees in prayer? Have they heard us not only pray with them but also pray for them out of nothing more than sheer parental love? Do our children know we believe in fasting as something more than an obligatory first-Sunday-of-the-month hardship? Do they know that we have fasted for them and for their future on days about which they knew nothing? Do they know we love being in the temple, not least because it provides a bond to them that neither death nor the legions of hell can break? Do they know we love and sustain local and general leaders, imperfect as they are, for their willingness to accept callings they did not seek in order to preserve a standard of righteousness they did not create? Do those children know that we love God with all our heart and that we long to see the face and fall at the feet of His Only Begotten Son? I pray that they know this.
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, A Prayer for the Children, Ensign (CR), May 2003, p.85

Journal Keeping

President Spencer W. Kimball said, “Your own private journal should record the way you face up to challenges that beset you. Do not suppose life changes so much that your experiences will not be interesting to your posterity….What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?...A journal will last through all time, and maybe the angels may quote from it for eternity….Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events.”
Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, 350-51

I am convinced that journal writing gives each of us the opportunity to speak from the dust and continue to make a difference in the lives of people here in mortality. Our words may be a deciding factor in saving the soul of one of our own relatives who may get to know us only through our journal because they were born after we passed away. Perhaps this is what President Kimball meant when he said “angels may quote from it for eternity” (“The Angels May Quote from It,” New Era, October 1975, 5). Perhaps we will be one of those angels who speak through the veil to our loved ones reading our journals. In a very real sense, when we die, our voice is silenced to those left in mortality—if we do not keep a record of our lives.

Let me illustrate how just a little effort can make a tremendous difference in the lives of those we love. In chapter 4 I mentioned that my father passed away around the time Preston was born. Dad had known for quite some time that his days were numbered. On one evening, while my mother was at work and with the house all to himself, he did something that illustrated his great love for my mom.

He brought out the tape recorder and recorded his most tender feelings for my mother. In a sense, he recorded a love letter to his wife—sharing his emotion and devotion for her at the conclusion of his life. He then hid the tape behind some books on the bookshelf, expecting that this small treasure would be discovered following his death.

My mom is a cleanaholic. My dad knew that she would eventually dust the bookshelves and discover the tape. In this way, he could literally speak from the dust to his wife—offering her words of love, comfort, and encouragement to carry on without him.

Shortly after his funeral, Mom was busily cleaning the house and happened to come across this tape. Imagine her feelings upon placing it in the tape player and hearing her recently departed companion expressing his love and appreciation to her for the life they had spent together. That tape has become an important part of our family history.

What little effort it took on my father’s part to record his feelings on that tape—maybe five minutes out of his life—yet its value cannot be measured in terms of money; it is truly priceless to our family. Each of us has the opportunity to keep a record of our feelings and testimonies, which could be a lifeline that may touch, inspire, or direct a loved one after we have passed through the veil. This becomes one of the ways we participate in the mission of Elijah, which is to bind the hearts of the fathers to the children.
K. Douglas Bassett, The Barber’s Song, p. 121-122

President Spencer W. Kimball said, “Your own private journal should record the way you face up to challenges that beset you. Do not suppose life changes so much that your experiences will not be interesting to your posterity….What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?...A journal will last through all time, and maybe the angels may quote from it for eternity….Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events.”

Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, 350-51

I for one do believe in journal keeping. Taking up the same principle as my old mentor, Michael or known as Adam in mortality, Adam was commanded to record events in his day. Later, it was passed down to Enoch, which we know by reading the Book of Enoch.

I even expressed this desire to my children in keeping such, when being inspired, filled with a spiritual thought, or receiving personal revelation, later, when retrieving those precious moments, the words can be read with pristine accuracy.

To aid others, the Church News, published an article in 1996 had a helpful aid for those who have that same desire as Enoch.

HOW TO FIND TIME IN A BUSY SCHEDULE TO KEEP A JOURNAL

Date: 08/17/96

Because of the large response to the topic of finding time in a busy schedule to keep a journal, this is the second week the "Mormon Forum" is dealing with this topic.

• Realize that a few minutes a day may be all that you require. You don't have to put a lot of time into a journal to make it an effective record of your life. Don't think that you have to have a large block of time. Just start wherever you are in your life, and catch up, if you want to, as things come to your memory.

• Write at a regular time, maybe right before bedtime or right after breakfast. Find a good time for your individual schedule, and stick to it. It's much easier to spend a few minutes every day than to try to write a long time less frequently.

• Know you don't have to be a great writer. You're recording information, facts, feelings and thoughts. You're not writing a novel, and everything doesn't have to be written in perfect form, spelling, grammar, etc. The content of what you are writing in a journal is far more important than the form.

• Take your journal and pen with you on trips or during times you will have to spend time waiting.

• Write about experiences and events at the time that they occur. Your memory of detail fades fast. If you want an accurate record of things, write right away. Record inspiration and spiritual experiences while they are fresh on your mind.

• Write about your feelings. Your feelings about the things you're recording are an important part of a journal. Don't leave them out.

• Use a word processor if that is more convenient for you. You can produce nice looking work, edit with ease and have spell checkers and other tools at your disposal.—Karen D. Garrett, West Valley City, Utah

What we did: Thankful for computers

Thank goodness for computers. I now put my journal on a computer disc, and I find that by spending five or ten minutes before bed each night, I can keep up journal writing daily. When I have a few extra minutes, I print out a copy and file it in a binder. Having journal entries on computer takes up less space and can be filed under various topics. Spending a few minutes each day at the computer for me works better than sitting down to hand write each entry.—Susan Bull, Orillia, Ontario

Uses wall calendar

When my daughter was old enough to have her own schedule, we bought a very large wall calendar to record all our appointments along with various notes for the day. When she became a foreign exchange student, I used the information on the calendar to write letters to her once a week. I then realized I could keep a journal the same way.

Now, if I am "too busy" during the week, each Sabbath I write in my journal. There's never a chance to forget what happened when I look at the calendar for the past week.

I have since bought wall calendars for various friends so they may do the same. Who says the Lord doesn't provide ways to do what He asks?—Toni Marino, Minneapolis, Minn.

Set aside time

I am 13 years old, and I admit that finding time to keep a journal can be difficult. We have been told by the prophets to keep a journal. In Young Women, we had a lesson on keeping a journal. Try every day to set aside 10 to 15 minutes to write in your journal. Keeping a journal will bring you happiness.—Shannon Fitzgerald, Shelton, Wash.

Inspired by prophet

I truly have been inspired by the many things President Spencer W. Kimball said about journals. This quote from him has made me climb out of bed many nights when I thought I was too tired to write earlier that day: "By now, in my own personal history, I have managed to fill 78 large volumes, which are my personal journal. There have been times when I have been so tired at the end of the day that the effort could hardly be managed, but I am so grateful that I have not let slip away from me and my posterity those things which needed to be recorded." (Ensign, October 1980, p. 72.)—Ann Chadwick Burton, Magna, Utah

Well-formed habit

Finding time in my busy life to write in my journal was often difficult. I was never consistent in my writing, and I developed all kinds of excuses for not writing. After reflecting upon the problem, I knew I had to predetermine a regular time to record in my journal. It had to become a well-formed habit. Just as we know Mondays are set aside for family home evening, so too can we determine a particular time to write in our journals.

First, I chose a monthly basis to record special events and spiritual thoughts in my daily planner. Then I decided to write in my journal on every fast Sunday. Writing in my journal became associated with my fasting. I would collect all my notes from my planner and enter them in my journal. Once the habit of writing became set in my mind it soon became easier to write in my journal.—Connie Jameson, Anderson, S.C.

Set a goal

In 1990, I became an early morning seminary teacher and was supposed to teach my students to keep a journal regularly. I set a goal to write in my journal at least once a week—and that's just what I did. Notes of my activities are kept in a small pocket diary, and then—usually early Sunday morning—I review those notes and write about my experiences of the past days.—Peter Janssen, Braunschweig, Germany

Uses a clipboard

I have album-type journals boxed up in my attic and some in a bookcase. The past four years I have found an easier way:

• Use three-hole binder paper.

• Keep a clipboard always loaded with the paper where I can see it. This simplifies jotting down a date and a thought or event as it happens.

Years ago, when my three sons were small, I kept a sketch-type journal for each child. The quick-action sketches drawn in pencil or watercolors each tell a story, bringing back happy memories—40 years later!—Marie W. Stealey, Tigard, Ore.

Personal, spiritual solace

Thanks to a seminary class in Pocatello, Idaho, in 1988 taught by Lindsay McMurtrey, journal writing has become my personal and spiritual solace. Brother McMurtrey's principles were simple:

• Write something every day, even if it is brief.

• Write about a topic once a week, such as a picture, a scripture, a person or an experience.

• Live your life on the pages of your journal.

By following these principles, I've filled up 10 large journals in the past eight years.—Jana L. Roberts, Portland, Maine

How to checklist:

1. Set a goal, make it simple; set a regular time, stick to it.

2. Use a computer; print out copies to place in a binder.

3. Don't worry about writing ability; content is priority.

4. Jot reminders of experiences in planners, calendars, etc.

The first verse in the Book of Mormon has got to be one of my favorites. It changed my thinking completely one day when I finally realized what it said.

I used to think that life was EITHER good or bad -- that if I was good I would always have lots of fun and get good things; and that if bad things were happening to me I was bad.

I found out that human beings actually have a life much like Nephi's. He says: "having seen many afflictions in the course of my day, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and mysteries of God".

I realized that having afflictions AND having favor from God can happen in the same life -- life is always like this! In fact, quite often our afflictions can turn out to be our blessings. So I feel a lot better about how life goes for me -- if I am having a particularly challenging time, I recall VERSE 1, ha ha, and just say to myself, I'm having a Nephi affliction! :)

We have to be able to see the favor God has bestowed on us, the goodness and the mystery of God -- it is a choice to be able to acknowledge this.

Guest tomk

A few comments.

What are the scriptures? Are they not the journals of righteous men and women?

So if we keep a journal -- is that not "scripture" (of sorts) unto ourselves and our posterity?

----------

I love what was shared in some recent Conference talks:

by Elder Eyring:

He smiled, spoke softly, and then rushed past me into the darkness to go on with his work. I took a few steps toward the house, thinking of what he was doing for us, and just as I got to the door, I heard in my mind—not in my own voice—these words: “I’m not giving you these experiences for yourself. Write them down.”

I went inside. I didn’t go to bed. Although I was tired, I took out some paper and began to write. And as I did, I understood the message I had heard in my mind. I was supposed to record for my children to read, someday in the future, how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family. Grandpa didn’t have to do what he was doing for us. He could have had someone else do it or not have done it at all. But he was serving us, his family, in the way covenant disciples of Jesus Christ always do. I knew that was true. And so I wrote it down, so that my children could have the memory someday when they would need it.

taken from:

LDS.org - Liahona Article - O Remember, Remember

by Elder Richard G. Scott:

I will consistently strive to learn by what I hear, see, and feel.

I will write down the important things I learn, and I will do them.

You can learn vitally important things by what you hear and see and especially by what you feel, as prompted by the Holy Ghost. Most individuals limit their learning primarily to what they hear or what they read. Be wise. Develop the skill of learning by what you see and particularly by what the Holy Ghost prompts you to feel. Consciously seek to learn by what you see and feel, and your capacity to do so will expand through consistent practice. Ask in faith for such help. Live to be worthy of it. Seek to recognize it. Write down in a secure place the important things you learn from the Spirit. You will find that as you write down precious impressions, often more will come. Also, the knowledge you gain will be available throughout your life. Always, day or night, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, seek to recognize and respond to the direction of the Spirit. Express gratitude for the help received and obey it. This practice will reinforce your capacity to learn by the Spirit. It will permit the Lord to guide your life and to enrich the use of every other capacity latent in your being.

taken from:

LDS.org - Ensign Article - To Acquire Knowledge and the Strength to Use It Wisely

Guest tomk

The first verse in the Book of Mormon has got to be one of my favorites. It changed my thinking completely one day when I finally realized what it said.

I used to think that life was EITHER good or bad -- that if I was good I would always have lots of fun and get good things; and that if bad things were happening to me I was bad.

I found out that human beings actually have a life much like Nephi's. He says: "having seen many afflictions in the course of my day, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and mysteries of God".

I realized that having afflictions AND having favor from God can happen in the same life -- life is always like this! In fact, quite often our afflictions can turn out to be our blessings. So I feel a lot better about how life goes for me -- if I am having a particularly challenging time, I recall VERSE 1, ha ha, and just say to myself, I'm having a Nephi affliction! :)

We have to be able to see the favor God has bestowed on us, the goodness and the mystery of God -- it is a choice to be able to acknowledge this.

This is what is meant by having "eyes to see"

We move beyond doubt and skepticism -- into a new world. A world where we don't wait for proof -- but actively seek it and accept it and cherish it -- no matter how small or insignificant. We become grateful for reminders that enter our minds. They really are from God. Pride keeps us from acknowledging Him as the source of it all.

This may interest you:

Not Left Comfortless: Power of Gratitude

The Power of Gratitude is amazing.

Guest tomk

We should explore the other meanings of "Goodly Parents".

This book talks about it:

Amazon.com: The Holy Secret: James L. Ferrell: Books

"Goodly" means RICH. Nephi's mom and dad were loaded.

It was part of the reason Nephi received such a good education....in the "learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians" as he described it in the next verse.

This played a HUGE part in why Laman and Lemuel were so rebellious and angry. They enjoyed their lives of comfort!!

How would you feel if Dad arrived home one day and said, "Pack up your stuff. Leave the TV and microwave and iPods and Playstations behind. We're going camping for an indeterminant amount of time. We probably won't be back."

Check out verse 8.

8 And being thus overcome with the Spirit, he was carried away in a vision, even that he saw the heavens open, and he thought he saw God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels in the attitude of singing and praising their God.

Well, I don't know about "thought" he saw. I'm pretty sure that's written to mean "He says he saw, but not everyone believed him."

ANYWAY, the point in quoting it was, that VERY FEW prophets actually get to see God on His Throne(from where He rules the universe). But Lehi saw Him at the start of his journey, as such.

I'm not sure who else has seen the Throne Room. Isaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Nephi, Joseph Smith, John the Revelator.

If there's more than that, it's not a whole lot. And when you consider the entire cast of the Scriptures, how much of a privilege is that? Lehi's prayers must've been something amazing. (Verse 5.)

Live the gospel as conspicuously as you can. Keep the covenants your children know you have made. Give priesthood blessings. And bear your testimony! Don’t just assume your children will somehow get the drift of your beliefs on their own. The prophet Nephi said near the end of his life that they had written their record of Christ and preserved their convictions regarding His gospel in order to persuade our children that our children may know [and believe] the right way.

I like this part. Not only living the gospel, but conspicuously. My family, especially my boys and also those who have worked for me (construction) have observed the way I live (don't smoke, drink, swear, etc.)

I've helped people reform and rehabilitate their lives and it's very rewarding. I've hired ex cons from prison and have been able to have meaningful discussions at times. One of my former employees has completely left drugs and that lifestyle and has been a good example to me also of loving your neighbor (another story). Another of my former employees considers himself "Arian", though has looked up to me (even though I'm not white) as I've shown him complete respect and an example of what life can be like when one makes good choices. Unfortunately I've had to fire him for being dirty (drugs), I told him I'd hire him back in a heartbeat once he cleaned up. I've never been afraid to give my guys handshakes and hugs. We all need compassion, understanding and love. We are all God's children and deserve respect. So far one of my boys has stayed clean and he still lives at home but makes good choices. I hope that my other son sees this too. He won't stay clean. I'm very optimistic though.

Actually the term 'goodly' parents from Nephi writings means, his parent are wonderful parents but did not always teach the children gospel principles. I noted this in my own journal, early on using the same term. My parents are great parents but did not teach me the gospel principles.

Why am I saying this? Look at each child during that timeframe. While in the Land of Jerusalem, the children did not exhibit any true testimony of what was being manifested to Lehi, when he was called as a prophet by the Savior.

It is true Lehi was wealthy based on his inheritance from his father and metal smithing trade.

Check out verse 8.

8 And being thus overcome with the Spirit, he was carried away in a vision, even that he saw the heavens open, and he thought he saw God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels in the attitude of singing and praising their God.

Well, I don't know about "thought" he saw. I'm pretty sure that's written to mean "He says he saw, but not everyone believed him."

ANYWAY, the point in quoting it was, that VERY FEW prophets actually get to see God on His Throne(from where He rules the universe). But Lehi saw Him at the start of his journey, as such.

I'm not sure who else has seen the Throne Room. Isaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Nephi, Joseph Smith, John the Revelator.

If there's more than that, it's not a whole lot. And when you consider the entire cast of the Scriptures, how much of a privilege is that? Lehi's prayers must've been something amazing. (Verse 5.)

I have to disagree with that statement. All prophets when called will need to have this witness and know how to properly communicate with the Godhead. Not only that Lehi, there are non-authoritian members throughout time, had that same special witness of seeing God the FATHER and His Son on their thrones. Even you can have that same privilege. ;)

I was reminded, the reasoning behind on what I wrote earlier, the answer is within the first verse, that the children did not receive all of the gospel from their parents. Note here, the phrase "I WAS TAUGHT SOMEWHAT.." For me, it just says, I receive a portion of the truth, but not all the truth from my parents. Does that make sense?

1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father;

Though, the term GOODLY is only crossed reference once to a Proverbs verse [22:1] - GOOD - but I don't think Nephi was referring to worldly riches.

I have to disagree with that statement. All prophets when called will need to have this witness and know how to properly communicate with the Godhead. Not only that Lehi, there are non-authoritian members throughout time, had that same special witness of seeing God the FATHER and His Son on their thrones. Even you can have that same privilege. ;)

Throne Room Theophanies have not occurred often in Scriptures. It is not often that a LIVING Man gets to see the Throne of God-- The Center of the Celestial Kingdom, where no unclean thing can dwell.

If it happened to a lot of others, it speculation. I'm just going be the scriptural witnesses.

And, being such a powerful experience, you'd think all who had the privilege would write about it.

Heather, in your first post you talked about journals. I have a series of journals and histories from many of my relatives....most of whom joined the early church and helped to settle parts of Utah. I love these stories. I have learned so much of their lives and yearned to know them better. They were good. One was an Indian fighter from Canada. One wrote books and cute little children's stories from his home in Hawaii. And while reading her journal, I learned that my maternal grandmother used to sing on the radio.

My paternal Great Grandmother joined the church in Norway when she was 18. Her family disowned her and so the missionaries helped her make her way to Utah. She became a nanny to a widower with a few children. They eventually married. She then had five more children, one of whom was my grandmother. I remember sitting around the table in my grandmothers farmhouse listening to the old stories. She said her mothers accent was so very strong! And that she could still hear her voice talking this way and that as she puttered around her kitchen making pastries.

I was born of goodly parents. And so many of their parents we so very good too.

You have to remember, whether the Prophets seen the Godhead as Joseph Smith did, as to the first vision or upon thrones, we may never know it in this morality. It is a personal privilege to see it and may not record it due to the sacredness. Being prophet, the Savior will appear unto them in person. Being prophet, head of a dispensation, the Godhead will appear unto them. The model or pattern is Joseph Smith first vision.

Lehi, even Joseph Smith and several of those in attendance, witnessed both GOD and the Son on their thrones in our day.

If the scriptures were complete and full, I highly doubt any of us in our life time could read and digest everything written.

*shrug*

The Lord only takes living men there or shows it to them when He REALLY has something to tell them. One day we can "all" go there, yes, but it's not that day. Few are called to visit there in mortality, and when they are, it's pretty much saying "Now, listen carefully, because this is REALLY important."

Heather, in your first post you talked about journals. I have a series of journals and histories from many of my relatives....most of whom joined the early church and helped to settle parts of Utah.

I love hearing stories about my ancestors too. I really enjoyed President Monson talking about stories from his family history this last conference. I need to be better myself about keeping a journal. I am so grateful for digital media, that it's so easy to make our memories last forever.

If you follow the footnote to Proverbs 22:1, and then look up the "GOOD name" in Strong's Concordance, you get this:

b) reputation, fame, glory

I think the many multiple meanings of the word in English most likely ALL apply. Scriptures tend to work like that.

As you study it, alone or with each other, new meanings begin to unfold.

I'm sure, "having been born of goodly parents" means "having been born of wealthy, reputable, and righteous parents"

Guest tomk

Forgive me, but I don't put forth "goodly" meaning wealthy as a speculation.

This IS what Nephi meant.

They had great possessions, and a comfortable life, and it was VERY DIFFICULT for them to leave this behind!!!

So much in the story that follows depends upon an understanding of this concept, particularly the great wealth they enjoyed. Remember, it was written for our day. We, too, have things that are "hard to leave behind." We can take a lesson from how Nephi and Sam ultimately responded vs Laman and Lemuel. But the murmuring or lack thereof is not understandable without understanding what goodly means.

I'm sorry, but although I believe they were wealthy, which is obvious from later chapters, I don't think that's exclusively what Nephi meant.

1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

Follow up with the footnotes under "goodly" and "taught"

Prov. 22: 1. 1 A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.

Enos 1: 1. 1 Behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man—for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord—and blessed be the name of my God for it—

That should illustrate my point. I think it's quite obvious that Nephi was saying his parents were GOOD PEOPLE, and thus he was taught by them.

*shrug*

The Lord only takes living men there or shows it to them when He REALLY has something to tell them. One day we can "all" go there, yes, but it's not that day. Few are called to visit there in mortality, and when they are, it's pretty much saying "Now, listen carefully, because this is REALLY important."

What I am saying a few living Saints had seen it beside those who are notable GAs. The veil is rent and being overcome by the Spirit, will see both of Them on thrones of glory.

Then we are in agreement...:D

• 5 months later...
Guest DeborahC

Sorry, I'm behind on this study. I just started last night to re-read the BOM, so I was thankful to find these threads.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the lines about "goodly parents" is that parents can be whomever happens to be the primary caretakers. I was reared by my grandparents, and they were indeed "goodly parents." After all these years, I'm often touched by the good examples of my grandmother, who was faithful in her Methodist Church duties and her duties as a mother and grandmother.

I've traveled with her as she took bags of groceries to hungry grandchildren when her own son was failing to care for his family.

I've seen her feed transients who knocked at the door as she explained to me that Jesus said to "feed my sheep" and that when you fed a man literally, you also were feeding him spiritually by being kind. She lived by the railroad tracks, so this was not an uncommon occurrence. Despite people telling her it was dangerous, she continued to do it her entire life. When someone hungry knocked at the door, she didn't just shove a bowl of cheerios out here either. She would fry bacon and eggs, make biscuits and gravy, hot coffee (she wasn't LDS) and serve it on a good plate while calling him "sir." It was a beautiful lesson.

She had too many wonderful qualities to mention here without writing a book, but the last thing she did was while lying in a hospital bed. We were crying because we knew she was dying and she laughed and said, "Why, I'm not afraid to die!" She knew exactly where she was going and it gave us great peace.

Yes, goodly parents are so important.

I thank God every day for mine!