Plural Marriage

Ok, so I realize this is a hot issue right now, however, I heard an interview on Nancy Grace tonight that got me wondering. She was interviewing a guy from a sect in Texas, not the FLDS, but another. Apparently he mentioned that they believe that Joseph, the earthy father of Jesus Christ had multiple wives, and then he went on to state also that The Saviour had several wives as well. I know that there is very little discussed about these things. My daughter was watching with me, and asked me what I knew about this. I, unfortunately, had to admit that I know very little. Is there anything written about this, or is it infact not so! I would be happy to read what ever literature I need to find the answers, I just don't know where to look! I have been a member of the Church my entire life, and I have had a few conversations with others about this, but never was it discussed in a class, nor have I heard anything from the pulpit. Thank you.

Rhapsodyblue00, being new, I do welcome you to the forum. Rightly so, you came to the right place.

Though, from what I already read, don't believe any of it in what is given. [Joseph having many wives] No, there is no record that been recorded that I am aware of mentioned this. Being personal here, I do think the Savior personal beliefs are ever mentioned except His displeasure in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon over others who do abuse the Plurality principle. For one, can attest to you, He believes in just one wife. Is there more? I highly doubt it as it was for Michael [Adam] who has only Eve as sealed companion and no more.

Being member in the church, we are held in the dark concerning the Savior and our FATHER in Heaven on their wife’s. This has to come by personal testimony for your own edification. For that case, I am happy that it is not mention since most of the world already use their name in vain and that brings great distress to me. It is always assumed based on the commandment given to Adam and Eve to be sealed and multiply the earth with progeny that the Savior followed His own advise; same with the FATHER.

Ok, so I realize this is a hot issue right now, however, I heard an interview on Nancy Grace tonight that got me wondering. She was interviewing a guy from a sect in Texas, not the FLDS, but another. Apparently he mentioned that they believe that Joseph, the earthy father of Jesus Christ had multiple wives, and then he went on to state also that The Saviour had several wives as well. I know that there is very little discussed about these things. My daughter was watching with me, and asked me what I knew about this. I, unfortunately, had to admit that I know very little. Is there anything written about this, or is it infact not so! I would be happy to read what ever literature I need to find the answers, I just don't know where to look! I have been a member of the Church my entire life, and I have had a few conversations with others about this, but never was it discussed in a class, nor have I heard anything from the pulpit. Thank you.

They believe it because it was taught by several early leaders of the LDS church that Yahushua was married to several women including Mary Magdalene, Mary and Martha, and others. "Was Jesus Married?" by Ogden Kraut is a good resource.

Good afternoon rhapsodyblue00! I hope you are doing well today.

I appreciate your question and the opportunity I have to respond to it. I think you'll find that no one within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will advocate that Jesus had plural wives or even was married, as a matter of doctrine. You will find, however, some who hold this personal belief, either that he was married to one woman or had plural wifes.

I do not know either way. What I do know is that marriage and sealing between a man and a woman is a sacred and righteous act instituted by God. I also know that when authorized and sanctioned by God, polygamy is counted as righteousness to those in such relationships. Both, under these conditions, are good and right. Therefore, I do not have any problem envisioning Jesus having a wife or multiple wives, as both would be good and right.

But, regardless of my thoughts, I do not claim that Jesus was married at all, because it isn't something that is found in scripture or other binding doctrine.

Thank you for the question. I enjoy being able to share my thoughts and opinions, in the hopes that they might be useful and helpful to others. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Kind Regards,

Finrock

Welcome rapsodyblue00 it is an interesting question. I have not made up mymind and IO think it is not that important for me to know the truth about this, but I do find interest in discusition.

What I have "learned" from those wiser is that Jesus was called rabbi or was it rabbuni in English. Someone who can the language and the jewish tradition said in one discusition that that was a name that was USUALLY only used of men with more than 1 wife. In those days there were jewish leaders with morethan one wife. An other thing is what Finrock (hi Finrock I hope you`ll wisit the finnish forum often too) about the sealings and the importance of all MEN to get the sealings to be able to come to HF.

Also there is the fact Adam was the first man here on the earth so hhe could not have more than 1wife. However in the jewish tradition it tells about how he was given many wemen but only one wanted to "beat the allpe" so we all could get a chanse.

Welcome rapsodyblue00 it is an interesting question. I have not made up mymind and IO think it is not that important for me to know the truth about this, but I do find interest in discusition.

What I have "learned" from those wiser is that Jesus was called rabbi or was it rabbuni in English. Someone who can the language and the jewish tradition said in one discusition that that was a name that was USUALLY only used of men with more than 1 wife. In those days there were jewish leaders with morethan one wife. An other thing is what Finrock (hi Finrock I hope you`ll wisit the finnish forum often too) about the sealings and the importance of all MEN to get the sealings to be able to come to HF.

Also there is the fact Adam was the first man here on the earth so hhe could not have more than 1wife. However in the jewish tradition it tells about how he was given many wemen but only one wanted to "beat the allpe" so we all could get a chanse.

I am not sure how many wives Adam had -- I was watching a Discovery program which said that in Jewish folklore one of his wives, Lillith, refused to submit to Adam's sensual desires so was cursed by God -- some have extended that to Hebrew vampire legends. The point here though is that Hebrews did not see polygamy as bad.

Here's an excellent article from a Jewish journalist on polygamy:

Polygamy? It's positively biblical | Philadelphia Inquirer | 05/18/2008

Interesting:

The very wording of the Ten Commandments, a chief pillar of American public morality then as now, presupposes polygamy. In Deuteronomy, the commandment not to "covet" is divided into two parts. The command not to covet the neighbor's spouse is addressed only to men, and the command not to covet the neighbor's house, field, etc., is addressed to all of the people of Israel. A standard Torah commentary used in my temple puts it this way: "Because men could have more than one wife, an unmarried woman could covet another's husband and even end up married to him."

Guest lauracooke78

All I know is Jesus fullfilled the law. To me that would mean he was married. To whom, I don't know, there is speculation. All we need to know is he fullfilled what the Father sent him to do.

All I know is Jesus fullfilled the law. To me that would mean he was married. To whom, I don't know, there is speculation. All we need to know is he fullfilled what the Father sent him to do.

In the LDS church you are taught the highest ordinance you receive for entry into the CK is being sealed in marriage, also the very first commandment is to multiply and replenish the earth. Yahushua had to fulfill ALL the commandments to qualify as Savior, so according to strict a strict interpretation of LDS theology He had to be married.

I am not sure how many wives Adam had -- I was watching a Discovery program which said that in Jewish folklore one of his wives, Lillith, refused to submit to Adam's sensual desires so was cursed by God --

The story I read from the Gnostic Bible (not recommended readying FYI) was that Lillith would not enter a covenant relationship with God, and Adam was insistent, so Lillith left him. But I gotta admit, the source is pretty flaky.

HiJolly

The story I read from the Gnostic Bible (not recommended readying FYI) was that Lillith would not enter a covenant relationship with God, and Adam was insistent, so Lillith left him. But I gotta admit, the source is pretty flaky.

HiJolly

Could be as well -- I was just viewing a show on the history of the Bible and I believe a Jewish professor brought up the thing about sexuality and Adam's demands. It was pointed out though this was folklore and not scripture but it gives us further evidence that the Hebrews in general, and Jews in particular, saw nothing wrong with polygamy.

Could be as well -- I was just viewing a show on the history of the Bible and I believe a Jewish professor brought up the thing about sexuality and Adam's demands. It was pointed out though this was folklore and not scripture but it gives us further evidence that the Hebrews in general, and Jews in particular, saw nothing wrong with polygamy.

Point taken - - it's culturally acceptable, there in the middle east.

HiJolly

Point taken - - it's culturally acceptable, there in the middle east.

HiJolly

True, but here lies the irony. Pagan Greece, and later Rome, set monogmy into law due to the issue of inheritance. In a polygamist situation it can get complicated if you are married to your first wife but she has no children, then your second wife bears a son, but then your first wife bears a son. Think of the bickering in a Judge Judy's courtroom of two thousand years ago in Rome. So the solution was simple -- a man could only have one wife but could have as many mistresses (women who had lower status than Hebrew concubines) or slave girls that he could afford. Only the children from the leagal wife would stand to inherit property or titles though.

The peoples of northern Europe, northern Africa, and Slavic regions had polygamy -- as did the Jews. However, ususally only rich Pagans or highly religious Jews had multiple wives around the time of Christ. WHen Christianity became a growing force in the Roman Empire there was still polygamy among the Jewish converts and one could suppose "Barbarian" converts as well. However, as Christianity started adopting Hellenistic and Roman customs and attitudes into the official Catholic Church polygamy was frowned upon since the leaders were more often than not Romans. In time, polygamy would be seen as a form of adultery and would receieve even more scorn as philosophical schools grew within the Catholic Church that saw sexuality not as a grand gift of God but merely a necessary evil required to reproduce -- and those who decided to live a life of celebasy would be regarded as more virtuous than the average Christian.

Which brings us to the confrontation taking place in Texas today! Can you imagine what a polygamy flow chart reaching from the days of Moses to present day Texas would look like?

Guest lauracooke78

In the LDS church you are taught the highest ordinance you receive for entry into the CK is being sealed in marriage, also the very first commandment is to multiply and replenish the earth. Yahushua had to fulfill ALL the commandments to qualify as Savior, so according to strict a strict interpretation of LDS theology He had to be married.

Thanks Kosher, I am assuming you understand what you have said is my whole point and agree with you. :)

Guest lauracooke78

Has anyone come across the study or speculation that Christ indeed did have children to his wife? And that the "inquisition" was actually the a crusade to kill off Christ's blood line. I don't know about it, but it is intriguing.

Of course there is the premise that Jesus was married and widowed before he began his ministry. He was 30 years old when he began it after all! And nothing is known about his life after the age of 12 until he came to John the Baptist to be baptised.

Has anyone come across the study or speculation that Christ indeed did have children to his wife? And that the "inquisition" was actually the a crusade to kill off Christ's blood line. I don't know about it, but it is intriguing.

Yes. In the fictional novel The Da Vinci Code.

Elphaba

Guest lauracooke78

Yes. In the fictional novel The Da Vinci Code.

Elphaba

Yep, of course we have heard that one....LOL. I heard this story much earlier than that book though, and was wondering where i heard it from as I cannot remember.

Guest Xzain

Possibly- if you mean 'married while still living on Earth'. I don't believe He couldn't have been, but I could also understand His being married posthumously for whatever reason- that's not against strict LDS theology. One could come to either conclusion in good faith, but putting a doctrinal straitjacket on the issue isn't justified or accurate. There are some things we just don't know as of yet.

Back to the OP- aside from legends and folklore, there's no evidence that I know of for Joseph (husband of Mary) or Adam to be married. The legends of Lilith also concern monsters and other 'creatures of the night' that so fascinate the dark-minded of the world. IMHO, the sect leaders are claiming to believe something with no veritable reason to justify their own actions in a religious light.

The legends of Lilith, at least the ones I have read, often make sexual unsubmisiveness a major factor in the reason Adam and Lilith did not 'stay together'. To me, that is fantasy created by those who cannot get their minds out of the 'things of the flesh' and seek to justify that viewpoint through a 'different' view of the Creation story.

Of course there is the premise that Jesus was married and widowed before he began his ministry. He was 30 years old when he began it after all! And nothing is known about his life after the age of 12 until he came to John the Baptist to be baptised.

If you understand the Jewish custom of that era, the Savior could not start His ministry prior to age 30.