Be Ye Not Deceived...

R. Conrad Schultz, “Waves of Deception,” NewEra, Nov 2007, 40–43

One of the sneaky ploys of the adversary is to have us believe that unquestioning obedience to the principles and commandments of God is blind obedience. His goal is to have us believe that we should be following our own worldly ways and selfish ambitions. This he does by persuading us that “blindly” following the prophets and obeying the commandments is not thinking for ourselves. He teaches that it is not intelligent to do something just because we are told to do so by a living prophet or by prophets who speak to us from the scriptures.

Our unquestioning obedience to the Lord’s commandments is not blind obedience. President Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught us about this in the April 1983 conference: “Latter-day Saints are not obedient because they are compelled to be obedient. They are obedient because they know certain spiritual truths and have decided, as an expression of their own individual agency, to obey the commandments of God. … We are not obedient because we are blind, we are obedient because we can see.”

We might call this “faith obedience.” With faith, Abraham was obedient in preparing Isaac for sacrifice; with faith, Nephi was obedient in obtaining the brass plates; with faith, a little child obediently jumps from a height into the strong arms of his father. “Faith obedience” is a matter of trust. The question is simple: Do we trust our Heavenly Father? Do we trust our prophets?

Why do we sometimes stray? Why do we let ourselves be influenced by the deception of the adversary? The solution to his deception is simple in its answer, but sometimes it is difficult in its application. President Harold B. Lee (1899–1973) spoke of the Lord, the adversary, and the solution to the adversary’s power of deception:

“We have some tight places to go before the Lord is through with this church and the world in this dispensation. … The power of Satan will increase; we see it in evidence on every hand. … We must learn to give heed to the words and commandments that the Lord shall give through his prophet. … There will be some things that take patience and faith.”

Then President Lee added a warning when he went on to say that we may not always like what comes from the authority of the Church because it may conflict with our personal views or interfere with some of our social life. However, if we will listen to and do these things as if from the mouth of the Lord Himself, we will not be deceived and great blessings will be ours.

LDS.org > Gospel Library > Gospel Topics

Prophets

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are blessed to be led by living prophets—inspired men called to speak for the Lord, as did Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Paul, Nephi, Mormon, and other prophets of the scriptures. We sustain the President of the Church as prophet, seer, and revelator—the only person on the earth who receives revelation to guide the entire Church. We also sustain the counselors in the First Presidency and the members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators.

Like the prophets of old, prophets today testify of Jesus Christ and teach His gospel. They make known God's will and true character. They speak boldly and clearly, denouncing sin and warning of its consequences. At times, they may be inspired to prophesy of future events for our benefit.

We can always trust the living prophets. Their teachings reflect the will of the Lord, who declared: "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same" (D&C 1:38).

Our greatest safety lies in strictly following the word of the Lord given through His prophets, particularly the current President of the Church. The Lord warns that those who ignore the words of the living prophets will fall (see D&C 1:14–16). He promises great blessings to those who follow the President of the Church:

"Thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;

"For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.

"For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name's glory" (D&C 21:4–6).

—See True to the Faith (2004), 129–30

Scriptural References:

2 Chronicles 20:20; Amos 3:7; Ephesians 2:19–20; 1 Nephi 22:1–2; Mosiah 13:33–35; D&C 107:91–92; Articles of Faith 1:6

Church Magazine Articles:

• "Living Prophets, Seers, and Revelators" Dennis B. Neuenschwander, Liahona, Jan. 2001, 49–51; or Ensign, Nov. 2000, 40–42

Sustaining support of prophets, seers, and revelators is not in the upraised hand alone, but more so in our courage, testimony, and faith to listen to, heed, and follow them.

• "The Living Prophet: Our Source of Pure Doctrine" Merrill C. Oaks, Liahona, Jan. 1999, 97–98; or Ensign, Nov. 1998, 82–83

The Church is founded on continuing revelation to a current, living prophet.

• "Sustaining the Living Prophets" Janette Hales Beckham, Ensign, May 1996, 84–85

When we sustain, it means we do something about our belief. Our testimony of the prophet turns into action when we sustain him.

• "Hear the Prophet's Voice and Obey" Robert D. Hales, Ensign, May 1995, 15–17

The greatest security of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints comes from learning to listen to and obey the words and commandments that the Lord has given through living prophets.

• "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet" Gordon B. Hinckley, Tambuli, Oct. 1992, 2–7; or Ensign, Sept. 1991, 2–5

How thankful we ought to be, how thankful we are, for a prophet to counsel us in words of divine wisdom as we walk our paths in these complex and difficult times.

• "Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet" Ezra Taft Benson, Tambuli, June 1981, 1–8

Here then is the grand key—Follow the prophet—and here are fourteen fundamentals in following the prophet, the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

• "What Is a Living Prophet?" A. Theodore Tuttle, Ensign, July 1973, 18–20

A prophet . . . is the authorized representative of the Lord. While the world may not recognize him, the important requirement is that God speaks through him.

• "Another Prophet Now Has Come!" Mark E. Petersen, Ensign, Jan. 1973, 116–18

Always when the Lord has had a people on the earth whom He has recognized as His own, He has led them by living prophets to whom He has given guidance from heaven.

Additional Online Materials:

Approaching Mormon Doctrine

Commentary

SALT LAKE CITY

4 May 2007

LDS Newsroom - Approaching Mormon Doctrine

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

“The greatest trick of the devil is that he has convinced one-third of humanity that he doesn’t exist. One-third pretends there is no God so they can indulge themselves, and the other third think they are good enough to do without Him.

“Then there are the few, the quiet, the humble, the unimportant. Those who have sought His truth since eternity and quietly go about moving mountains with faith. Those that invoke the name of God at every turn. Because of those the devil remembers and trembles. Those, my son, are the ones chosen by Him to save the rest.”

Florencia Martinez Hernandez 1898-1995

My grandmother

Now, let the question be asked...what is an official Church publication?

Anything that has:

THE CHURCH OF

JESUS CHRIST

OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

Have you ever noticed that books written by prophets, apostles, and leaders of our Church do not have the above printed anywhere on the outside or inside of the book.

Why is that? Because they are writing it as personal opinion, not as official Church doctrine.

However, any publication that bears the name of the Church, can be used and quoted as official Church doctrine.

What is the difference?

Well, we believe and have faith that the First Presidency has the keys and authority to be as a mouthpiece of the Lord. Therefore, when they come together in supplication and prayer, and receive revelation that a thing is true, then they are approving it as official doctrine.

Church manuals, such as the Gospel Principles, Teaching No Greater Call, etc. are all approved by the First Presidency (therefore by Heavenly Father himself) to be doctrine.

THE ARTICLES OF FAITH

OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

History of the Church, Vol. 4, pp. 535—541

1 We abelieve in bGod, the Eternal Father, and in His cSon, Jesus Christ, and in the dHoly Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be apunished for their bown sins, and not for Adam’s ctransgression.

3 We believe that through the aAtonement of Christ, all bmankind may be csaved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and aordinances of the Gospel are: first, bFaith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, cRepentance; third, dBaptism by eimmersion for the fremission of sins; fourth, Laying on of ghands for the hgift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be acalled of God, by bprophecy, and by the laying on of chands by those who are in dauthority, to epreach the Gospel and administer in the fordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same aorganization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, bprophets, cpastors, dteachers, eevangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the agift of btongues, cprophecy, drevelation, evisions, fhealing, ginterpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the aBible to be the bword of God as far as it is translated ccorrectly; we also believe the dBook of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has arevealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet breveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal agathering of Israel and in the restoration of the bTen Tribes; that cZion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will dreign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be erenewed and receive its fparadisiacal gglory.

11 We claim the aprivilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the bdictates of our own cconscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them dworship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being asubject to bkings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in cobeying, honoring, and sustaining the dlaw.

13 aWe believe in being bhonest, true, cchaste, dbenevolent, virtuous, and in doing egood to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we fhope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to gendure all things. If there is anything hvirtuous, ilovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Although the 8th Article of Faith only lists the Bible (as far as it is translated correctly) and the Book of Mormon to the be the word of God, that does not mean that those are the ONLY words of God.

Otherwise, there would be no need for the 9th Article of Faith.

9 We believe all that God has arevealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet breveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

I personally believe that all that is contained within my quad to be the word of God. That includes, for me, the index, the Bible Dictionary, Joseph Smith Translation, Articles of Faith, etc.

Why do I believe this? Because my quad bears the name of the Church upon it. To me, this means and signifies that the First Presidency, upon approval and direction of the Lord, has approved said scriptures, and all contained within (with observation to "as far as it is translated correctly"), to be official Church doctrine.

These are my beliefs. They are based upon what the Holy Ghost has whispered to me, what I have heard, what I have read, and what I have learned in the last 10 years of my membership in this Church.

I am not forcing anybody to believe as I do.

I do not call condemnation upon those who believe differently.

I just felt prompted to bear my testimony on what I knew to be true.

Now, let the question be asked...what is an official Church publication?

However, any publication that bears the name of the Church, can be used and quoted as official Church doctrine.

I differ in my opinion. I think the "Approaching Doctrine" statement states that doctrine is found in 1 of 3 places:

1: The four standard works;

2: The statements and proclamations of the First Presidency of the Church (signed by all members of that body);

3: The Articles of Faith.

The comment about the publications is indicating that that is where the doctrine is proclaimed, or taught, not where it resides. IMO.

HiJolly

I work in the Ward Library.

If the Gospel Principles manual did not contain doctrine, then it would not be in the ward library.

Only Church approved materials can be in the library. Church approved materials bear the name of our Church. The library is not to contain ANY material not approved by the Church. Not even books written by the apostles or leaders are allowed, unless expressly approved by local leaders.

This does not only apply to written material, but no DVD's, videos, or music that is not approved by the Church is to be stored in the Ward Library.

Basically, anything that can be purchased through LDS Distribution can be in the Ward Library, as the items sold to units (and individuals) from the LDS catalog come from Church distribution.

It is called Church distribution, because the materials come from the Church.

Also, the Relief Society/Priesthood manuals are used to teach lessons in Church. If the material in those manuals did not contain doctrine, then they would not be used in teaching lessons in Relief Society or Priesthood.

If Teaching, No Greater Call did not contain doctrine then it would not be appropriate to use in the Teaching the Gospel course.

I was Teacher Improvement Coordinator for two years. I cannot unlearn what I learned from reading that manual, or unlearn what I learned from the promptings of the Spirit.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. :hippie:

~TG

“Lesson 4: Teach the Doctrine,” Teaching, No Greater Call: A Resource Guide for Gospel Teaching, 203

Purpose

To help class members understand the power that comes from studying and teaching the doctrines of the gospel, which are found in the scriptures and the teachings of latter-day prophets.

Note to the Teacher

As you prepare to teach this lesson, pray for guidance to teach effectively from the scriptures and the teachings of latter-day prophets. As prompted by the Holy Ghost, talk about the effect the doctrines of the gospel have had in your life as you have studied and taught them.

Preparation

• 1. Prayerfully study the scripture passages in this lesson. Seek to apply them to the purpose of the lesson.
  • 2. Study the section in this book titled “Teach the Doctrine” (pages 49–59) and the following in the “Gospel Teaching and Leadership” section of the Church Handbook of Instructions: “Teach the Saving Doctrines and Ordinances of the Gospel” (page 301), “Teach from the Scriptures and the Teachings of Latter-day Prophets” (page 302), and “Use Church-Approved Lesson Materials” (page 304).
  • 3. Invite a class member or another member of the ward to come to class prepared to talk about how learning a specific doctrine of the gospel has influenced his or her life.
  • 4. If current Church-produced lesson manuals are available, bring a few of them to class.

“When I drink from a spring I like to get the water where it comes out of the ground, not down the stream after the cattle have waded in it. … I appreciate other people’s interpretation, but when it comes to the gospel we ought to be acquainted with what the Lord says” (address to religious educators, 13 Apr. 1973; quoted by J. Richard Clarke in Conference Report, Oct. 1982, 19; or Ensign, Nov. 1982, 15).

• • To what sources should we turn to help those we teach “be acquainted with what the Lord says”? (Answers should include the scriptures and the teachings of latter-day prophets.)
  • • How can we ensure that we are teaching correct doctrine?
As part of this discussion, have class members read Doctrine and Covenants 42:12–13 and D&C 52:9. Emphasize that we can ensure that we are teaching correct doctrine by being consistent with the scriptures and the teachings of latter-day prophets. Invite a class member to read the following statement by President Spencer W. Kimball:

“No one has the right to give his own private interpretations when he has been invited to teach in the organizations of the Church; he is a guest, … and those whom he teaches are justified in assuming that, having been chosen and sustained in the proper order, he represents the Church and the things which he teaches are approved by the Church” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball [1982], 532–33).

If you have brought current Church-produced lesson manuals to class, display them now.

Point out that Church-produced manuals contain suggestions for application questions, activities, and audiovisual materials that help us focus our teaching on the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets.

“11: Keeping the Doctrine Pure,” Teaching, No Greater Call: A Resource Guide for Gospel Teaching, 52

It is humbling and inspiring to ponder the price people have paid for the truth. Many have been baptized despite being rejected by their families for their decision. Prophets and many others have died rather than deny their testimonies. Referring to the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, Elder John Taylor declared that the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants “cost the best blood of the nineteenth century to bring them forth” (D&C 135:6).

Each person who teaches the gospel is required to pass on to others, in pure and undistorted form, the truths for which such great sacrifices have been made. President Gordon B. Hinckley stated: “I have spoken before about the importance of keeping the doctrine of the Church pure, and seeing that it is taught in all of our meetings. I worry about this. Small aberrations in doctrinal teaching can lead to large and evil falsehoods” (Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley [1997], 620).

Your Responsibilities as a Teacher

As you prepare and present lessons, you should take the following precautions to ensure that you teach the truth as the Lord has revealed it.

Teach by the Spirit from the Scriptures and the Words of Latter-day Prophets

President Ezra Taft Benson taught: “What should be the source for teaching the great plan of the Eternal God? The scriptures, of course—particularly the Book of Mormon. This should also include the other modern-day revelations. These should be coupled with the words of the Apostles and prophets and the promptings of the Spirit” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1987, 107; or Ensign, May 1987, 85).

Use Church-Produced Lesson Materials

To help us teach from the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets, the Church has produced lesson manuals and other materials. There is little need for commentaries or other reference material. We should study the scriptures, teachings of latter-day prophets, and lesson materials thoroughly to be sure we correctly understand the doctrine before we teach it.

“12: Teaching from the Scriptures,” Teaching, No Greater Call: A Resource Guide for Gospel Teaching, 54

Use the Study Helps in the Scriptures

President Howard W. Hunter said: “We ought to have a Church full of women and men who know the scriptures thoroughly, who cross-reference and mark them, who develop lessons and talks from the Topical Guide, and who have mastered the maps, the Bible Dictionary, and the other helps that are contained in this wonderful set of standard works. There is obviously more there than we can master quickly. Certainly the scriptural field is ‘white already to harvest’ ” (Eternal Investments [address to religious educators, 10 Feb. 1989], 2–3).

Bible Dictionary

The Bible Dictionary is located in the appendix of the Latter-day Saint edition of the King James Bible, immediately following the Topical Guide. It is a teaching and study resource that provides explanations of names and places mentioned in the Bible. It also provides short articles on cultural items and a few key doctrines such as the Atonement, baptism, the Holy Ghost, and resurrection. It includes a chronology of important dates.

You can use the material in the Bible Dictionary to enrich lessons. You might ask learners to prepare reports, give definitions, or even teach a segment of a lesson from the Bible Dictionary.

To appreciate the enrichment that the Bible Dictionary provides, look up the word grace (page 697). Study the definition carefully. Then read the scripture references provided. Note how these verses of scripture have greater significance when you ponder the definition of grace.

Footnotes and Cross-References

Pages of scriptural text usually contain footnotes. In Latter-day Saint editions of the scriptures, the footnotes contain several kinds of information. For example, they contain alternate Greek (gr) or Hebrew (heb) translations for selected words. They contain references to the Topical Guide (tg). They also contain explanations of idioms and difficult constructions (ie). Footnotes with the notation “jst” are excerpts from Joseph Smith’s inspired translation of the Bible. Short Joseph Smith Translation entries appear in the footnotes. Longer entries appear in a special section in the appendix, immediately after the Bible Dictionary.

The most common type of footnote is a cross-reference to other scripture passages in the standard works. These additional passages often clarify or add insight to the passage you are reading. For example, look up Doctrine and Covenants 11:21. Read the verse, and then read the passages listed in footnote b. How do these passages increase your understanding of the verse?

When teaching a passage of scripture, you can use the footnotes and cross-references to help learners better understand the passage.

Headings of Chapters and Sections

A heading provides an overview of the chapter or section that follows. It may include information about doctrine, historical context, or people. The heading to 2 Nephi 27, for example, explains that the chapter is similar to Isaiah 29 and that it contains a prophecy about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.

You may want to invite learners to mark scripture passages according to the highlights contained in the chapter or section heading. For example, the major principles in the Word of Wisdom are described in the heading for Doctrine and Covenants 89. You could have learners read these principles in the heading and then highlight them in the scripture text.

You may want to ask learners to silently read chapter or section headings before they comment on selected scriptures. This can help them properly understand the context of the scriptures.

Introductory Pages

Each one of the standard works has introductory pages, which contain useful background information about the purpose and origin of the book. For example, the introductory pages to the Book of Mormon contain testimonies from Joseph Smith and others and information about the origin of the book. The introductory pages to the Doctrine and Covenants explain how the revelations in the book were received and compiled.

This material can be used to teach the background, history, chronology, and organization of the scriptures. Entire lessons may be organized using material from these pages. For example, the explanatory introduction to the Doctrine and Covenants contains a brief review of the Restoration of the gospel and lists scripture references pertaining to the subject.

Maps

Latter-day Saint editions of the scriptures contain maps of scriptural sites and areas that are important in Church history. By knowing the geography of the lands discussed, learners can better understand events described in the scriptures.

Topical Guide

The introduction to the Topical Guide states that it is “intended to help the reader find scriptures most often used in gospel classes and study. Because of space limitations, the guide is not intended to be comprehensive. It is also recommended that the reader look up each scripture and examine it in its context, in order to gain a better understanding of it.”

Turn to the Topical Guide in your scriptures and look up the word abide. Note that the names of books of scripture appear in bold. Scripture passages from each book follow. Each scripture passage in the list contains the word abide, shown by the abbreviation a. The entry also contains cross-references to other words in the Topical Guide that provide information on the subject.

You may want to study the Topical Guide to learn more about a lesson topic and to find scripture passages to use in a lesson. As part of a lesson, you could ask learners a question and invite them to use the Topical Guide to find answers.

When I first joined the Church in 1998, the very first calling I had was Primary.

It was in Primary where I learned to rely on my scriptures and the lesson manual. There is a Church approved lesson manual for each of the different classes in Primary.

After teaching in Primary for several years, I had the opportunity to be called as Teacher Improvement Coordinator. Not only did I get to teach the Teaching the Gospel Course, but I also conducted quarterly Teacher Improvement Meetings with the Ward Auxiliaries.

I have taught in Youth Sunday School, and I have substituted for Adult Sunday School many times.

I do not list these things to brag. I am absolutely thankful and grateful that Heavenly Father gave me these callings, because as a convert, I needed the teachings and the guidance that these callings provided.

However, I cannot unlearn that in EVERY calling that I have had, there has been a manual for me to follow. There has always been further instruction.

It is a part of every class, every auxiliary, to have manuals.

How would the Sunday School teacher know what lesson to teach, were it not for the Church approved manual and lesson material?

It is my testimony that the doctrines and principles of our Church can be found in more places than just in our scriptures.

^_^

Prophets

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are blessed to be led by living prophets—inspired men called to speak for the Lord, as did Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Paul, Nephi, Mormon, and other prophets of the scriptures. We sustain the President of the Church as prophet, seer, and revelator—the only person on the earth who receives revelation to guide the entire Church. We also sustain the counselors in the First Presidency and the members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators.

Like the prophets of old, prophets today testify of Jesus Christ and teach His gospel. They make known God's will and true character. They speak boldly and clearly, denouncing sin and warning of its consequences. At times, they may be inspired to prophesy of future events for our benefit.

We can always trust the living prophets. Their teachings reflect the will of the Lord, who declared: "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same" (D&C 1:38).

Our greatest safety lies in strictly following the word of the Lord given through His prophets, particularly the current President of the Church. The Lord warns that those who ignore the words of the living prophets will fall (see D&C 1:14–16). He promises great blessings to those who follow the President of the Church:

"Thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;

"For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.

"For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name's glory" (D&C 21:4–6).

—See True to the Faith (2004), 129–30

2 Chronicles 20:20; Amos 3:7; Ephesians 2:19–20; 1 Nephi 22:1–2; Mosiah 13:33–35; D&C 107:91–92; Articles of Faith 1:6

"Living Prophets, Seers, and Revelators" Dennis B. Neuenschwander, Liahona, Jan. 2001, 49–51; or Ensign, Nov. 2000, 40–42

Sustaining support of prophets, seers, and revelators is not in the upraised hand alone, but more so in our courage, testimony, and faith to listen to, heed, and follow them.

"The Living Prophet: Our Source of Pure Doctrine" Merrill C. Oaks, Liahona, Jan. 1999, 97–98; or Ensign, Nov. 1998, 82–83

The Church is founded on continuing revelation to a current, living prophet.

"Sustaining the Living Prophets" Janette Hales Beckham, Ensign, May 1996, 84–85

When we sustain, it means we do something about our belief. Our testimony of the prophet turns into action when we sustain him.

"Hear the Prophet's Voice and Obey" Robert D. Hales, Ensign, May 1995, 15–17

The greatest security of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints comes from learning to listen to and obey the words and commandments that the Lord has given through living prophets.

"We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet" Gordon B. Hinckley, Tambuli, Oct. 1992, 2–7; or Ensign, Sept. 1991, 2–5

How thankful we ought to be, how thankful we are, for a prophet to counsel us in words of divine wisdom as we walk our paths in these complex and difficult times.

"Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet" Ezra Taft Benson, Tambuli, June 1981, 1–8

Here then is the grand key—Follow the prophet—and here are fourteen fundamentals in following the prophet, the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"What Is a Living Prophet?" A. Theodore Tuttle, Ensign, July 1973, 18–20

A prophet . . . is the authorized representative of the Lord. While the world may not recognize him, the important requirement is that God speaks through him.

"Another Prophet Now Has Come!" Mark E. Petersen, Ensign, Jan. 1973, 116–18

Always when the Lord has had a people on the earth whom He has recognized as His own, He has led them by living prophets to whom He has given guidance from heaven.

Without a firm foundation of all the the doctrines and principles of the Church, then we cannot construct a solid testimony that will withstand trials, tribulations, persecution, and the temptations of Satan.

Part of my firm foundation of the gospel, is my testimony and belief that the Prophet is a mouthpiece to the Lord.

LDS.org > Gospel Library > Gospel Topics > Prophets

I know that the above quote is true. Without this truth, then there would be no need for me to go to Church on Sunday, or go to Stake Conference, or watch General Conference.

If I did not believe that my leaders were called by Heavenly Father to lead and guide me, then why bother attending meetings were I am to receive instruction from them?

When I hear my Bishop speak, I know that he holds the authority and the keys to lead and guide our Ward.

When I hear my Stake President speak, I know that he holds the authority and the keys to lead and guide our Stake.

When I hear the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints speak, even the Living Prophet of the Lord, I know that he holds the authority and the keys to lead and guide this Church.

Just as there would be no point in being a member of this Church if one did not believe and know Joseph Smith to have been given a divine mission to restore the Gospel upon the earth once more, then there would also be no point in being a member of this Church if one did know and believe that all our leaders hold the authority and the keys to lead us and guide us.

What would be the point of giving heed to Bishops, Stake Presidents, or the Prophet if we did not believe that they spoke for the Lord in relation to us, our ward, our stake, and the Church as a whole?

I would rather err on the side of caution.

There are some who question us for walking a path that is too straight and too narrow.

We might be found to respond, in turn, that we would rather err on the side of caution and walk a path that is too straight and too narrow, rather than a path that is crooked and broad.

In the same manner, I would rather err on the side of caution, and take all that my local and Church leaders counsel as coming from the Lord, than to suppose that I am above said words and counsel.

No, I am not to be lead in everything. I am to go to Heavenly Father for myself and seek counsel, guidance, and revelation on a personal level.

However, there are some who can be lead away by extremes.

There are some who place their own "revelation" above the counsel or guidance of a leader.

There are some who only wish to be lead, and never ask of themselves if a thing be true or right.

Those are extremes. The quotes below are much more concise and direct in meaning than my own feeble words and thoughts...

James E. Faust, “Continuing Revelation,” Ensign, Aug 1996, 2

I do not believe members of this Church can be in full harmony with the Savior without sustaining His living prophet on the earth, the President of the Church. If we do not sustain the living prophet, whoever he may be, we die spiritually. Ironically, some have died spiritually by exclusively following prophets who have long been dead. Others equivocate in their support of living prophets, trying to lift themselves up by putting down the living prophets, however subtly.

Revelation

Revelation is communication from God to His children. This guidance comes through various channels according to the needs and circumstances of individuals, families, and the Church as a whole. When the Lord reveals His will to the Church, He speaks through His prophet. Prophets are the only people who can receive revelation for the Church, but they are not the only people who can receive revelation. According to our faithfulness, we can receive revelation to help us with our specific personal needs, responsibilities, and questions and to help us strengthen our testimony.

L. Lionel Kendrick, “Personal Revelation,” Ensign, Sep 1999, 7

Leaders’ counsel. The Lord speaks to us through His chosen leaders. The Savior taught this principle when He said, “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, … whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same” (D&C 1:38).

James E. Faust, “Continuing Revelation,” Ensign, Aug 1996, 2

I wish to focus, however, on God’s communications to all of His children through prophets, as distinguished from personal revelation received by individual members of the Church and others. The prophets, seers, and revelators have had and still have the responsibility and privilege of receiving and declaring the word of God for the world.

Individual members, parents, and leaders have the right to receive revelation for their own responsibilities but have no duty nor right to declare the word of God beyond the limits of their own responsibilities.

Be ye not deceived.

This gospel of Jesus Christ is NOT a buffet in which we can pick and choose what we will consume. No, it is for us to know what our Church believes, what the principles and doctrines are, and then follow them. We cannot follow only certain things, and cast off other things. We cannot be lukewarm.

MorningStar posted a wonderful thread based on an address by Dallin H. Oaks given at a Brigham Young University on June 7, 1992 in Provo, Utah.

Most of my thoughts for this thread were inspired by that address that she posted for us to read.

Dallin H. Oaks, “Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfall,” Liahona, May 1995, 10

Thanks again, MorningStar, for the wonderful thread that you posted.

^_^

2 Ne. 9: 41

41 O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.

Why is it that we cannot deviate, even a small step, from the straight and narrow?

Because one step in either direction can lead us away from the path forever.

“Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

“Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matt. 7:13–14.)

“For strait is the gate, and narrow the way that leadeth unto the exaltation and continuation of the lives, and few there be that find it.” (D&C 132:22.)

Satan does not jump out in front of us screaming and yelling at us to follow him instead of the Savior.

No, Satan is much more subtle and crafty. He knows that in order to entice us from the path, he must do it softly with half-truths.

Once we have stepped from the path, he does not immediately throw a net over us. No. He continues to tempt us away, further and further, one step at a time. All the while, we are slowing allowing ourselves to be bound by a thin, silken thread.

At first, we can easily break this thread at any time and run back to the safety and truthfulness of the straight and narrow. But too often we allow ourselves to remain a little longer in the dark...following the lies and illusions of one who hates us.

At some point, that silken thread becomes so entwined around us...that we can no longer break free by our own strength or effort.

This is not what Heavenly Father wants for us!

It is so much better to remain on the straight and narrow, and not even deviate one step to the left or the right, than to risk being bound so think in the devil's silken lies and half-truths that we can no longer break free on our own.

The Lord revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “For God doth not walk in crooked paths, neither doth he turn to the right hand nor to the left, neither doth he vary from that which he hath said, therefore his paths are straight, and his course is one eternal round.” (D&C 3:2.)

Even though these teachings of the Savior are plain and direct, we are still at risk of getting sidetracked. Some people choose to follow the teachings of the Lord and of his living prophet only when convenient, but reject them when sacrifice or deeper commitment is required. Some fail to follow only because his divine teachings do not agree with their own preconceived notions.

Now that we know what the straight and narrow is, and how important it is that we remain on it, we must now know HOW to remain on the straight and narrow.

Joseph B. Wirthlin, “The Straight and Narrow Way,” Ensign, Nov 1990, 64

In the Book of Mormon, the word of God is referred to as an iron rod. In interpreting his father’s dream for his brothers, Nephi wrote:

“And they said unto me: What meaneth the rod of iron which our father saw, that led to the tree?

“And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.” (1 Ne. 15:23–24.)

In other words, Nephi taught that by clinging to the word of God, as though it be a handrail, we would be able to avoid temptations and not lose our way in darkness. Thus, we would remain on the narrow path.

Using another apt symbol, the Psalmist wrote: “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” (Ps. 119:105.)

God’s word, then, is the light for our path, the iron rod or railing to which we can cling. It provides the limiting lines that we must not cross if we are to reach our destination.

Through daily study of the scriptures and the words of the modern-day prophets, we can keep our values in line with the will of our Heavenly Father. The scriptures lead us “to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God.” (1 Ne. 11:25.)

I know that each of us has much to do. Sometimes we feel overwhelmed by the tasks we face. But if we keep our priorities in order, we can accomplish all that we should. We can endure to the end regardless of temptations, problems, and challenges. Those who remain faithful will receive God’s greatest blessing, eternal life, and the privilege of living with our Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son in the celestial kingdom.

Elder Marion G. Romney said, “When earth life is over and things appear in their true perspective, we shall more clearly see … that the fruits of the gospel are the only objectives worthy of life’s full efforts.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1949, p. 39.)

Staying true and valiant to the gospel of Jesus Christ may seem hard, and the path may seem too straight and too narrow, but those are the exact kinds of lies that Satan wants you to believe.

It is FAR easier to follow a straight, narrow path that is illuminated by the gospel of Jesus Christ, than it is to fumble around in the darkness, being scratched by tares and brambles, and all the while being subtly and gently wrapped by the fine, silken thread of the one who hates us.

I don't know about you, but down here in Georgia we have plenty of thorns and vines and all kinds of nasties...I would much rather be on a straight and narrow path lit by the light of Christ, than itching and bleeding from all the stickers and thorns of the dark woods.

Just my perspective! ^_^

Guest lauracooke78

Like they alway say, the two biggest tricks of Satan are:

1. Having us believe he does not exist

2. Making us think God is a Republican

And consistent with Satan's tactics of putting lies with a bit of truth is the above statement. Thanks for the red herring Moksha :jedi:

And consistent with Satan's tactics of putting lies with a bit of truth is the above statement. Thanks for the red herring Moksha :jedi:

I can't see the lie. Can you be specific?

HiJolly

PS. I am rarely disappointed by Moksha's sense of humor.

Guest lauracooke78

I sure don't think God is a "republican" by the current republican standards...

But I sure don't think he's a "democrat" either...

This is exactly my point for Hi Jolly's question as well. A red herring is something that takes your attention from the message. ie: We have heard of Satan's best deceit is to get us to believe that he doesn't exist. But as for the other statement of "God being a republican", well that is a red herring, and has political motivations in the tone. So what Alias has said "But I sure don't think he's a "democrat" either." is my point. In other words it is a none issue in this case. That being said, my comment was in jest as much as Moksha's comment was. It was taken and given in the same manner. :conscience:

Is it possible to suppose that Heavenly Father only speaks to His children on an individual and personal basis, but not as a whole?

This cannot be possible, because if God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, then just as He had prophets and leaders to lead and guide His children in the days of scripture, then so too does He have prophets and leaders to lead and guide His children of the latter-days, even His children of the last dispensation.

Because of the great wickedness that abounds in this last dispensation, our loving Heavenly Father has provided us with technology that can allow the prophet and the leaders of the Church to reach all of His children, as a whole, quickly and directly.

A Church manual, or Church website, or Church publication may not seem as important or as official as a scroll, a gold plate, a brass plate, or a stone tablet, but surely the prophets of old would have used a quicker more accessible manner of keeping record or spreading the gospel if it had been available.

President Monson, the living prophet of the Church today, does not need or require all the members of the Church to travel to Utah and pitch our tents round about the temple as he attempts to speak to us from a tower.

Instead our prophet uses the media, the Church website, Church manuals and pamphlets, and Church publications to do what all prophets of all dispensations have done, which is teach the gospel of Jesus Christ and provide continuing revelation and direction from Heavenly Father Himself.

President Monson merely uses the technology that is available to him in his own time and era, just as the prophets of old used what was available to them in their own time and era.

Not much has changed since the times of scripture. As there are still those who ignore the living prophets, doubt the living prophets, question the living prophets, and try to discredit the living prophet’s authority just as was done to the prophets of old.

No matter how many times we read and learn of the great flood, and how Noah tried to warn the people of his day, there are some who still fail to see where they are committing the same folly as those who ignored Noah.

Be ye not deceived. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

James E. Faust, “Keeping Covenants and Honoring the Priesthood,” Ensign, Nov 1993, 36

Free discussion and expression are encouraged in the Church. Certainly the open expressions in most fast and testimony meetings, or Sunday School, Relief Society, and priesthood meetings attest to that principle. However, the privilege of free expression should operate within limits. In 1869, George Q. Cannon explained the limits of individual expression:

“A friend … wished to know whether we … considered an honest difference of opinion between a member of the Church and the Authorities of the Church was apostasy. … We replied that … we could conceive of a man honestly differing in opinion from the Authorities of the Church and yet not be an apostate; but we could not conceive of a man publishing these differences of opinion and seeking by arguments, sophistry and special pleading to enforce them upon the people to produce division and strife and to place the acts and counsels of the Authorities of the Church, if possible, in a wrong light, and not be an apostate, for such conduct was apostasy as we understood the term” (Gospel Truth, sel. Jerreld L. Newquist, 2 vols., Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1974, 2:276–77).

Among the activities considered apostate to the Church include when members “(1) repeatedly act in clear, open, and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders; (2) persist in teaching as Church doctrine information that is not Church doctrine after being corrected by their bishops or higher authority; or (3) continue to follow the teachings of apostate cults (such as those that advocate plural marriage) after being corrected by their bishops or higher authority” (General Handbook of Instructions, 1989, p. 10-3).

Those men and women who persist in publicly challenging basic doctrines, practices, and establishment of the Church sever themselves from the Spirit of the Lord and forfeit their right to place and influence in the Church. Members are encouraged to study the principles and the doctrines of the Church so that they understand them. Then, if questions arise and there are honest differences of opinion, members are encouraged to discuss these matters privately with priesthood leaders.

There is a certain arrogance in thinking that any of us may be more spiritually intelligent, more learned, or more righteous than the Councils called to preside over us. Those Councils are more in tune with the Lord than any individual persons they preside over, and the individual members of the Councils are generally guided by those Councils. In this church, where we have lay leadership, it is inevitable that some will be placed in authority over us who have a different background from our own. This does not mean that those with other honorable vocational or professional qualifications are any less entitled to the spirit of their office than any other. Some of the great bishops of my lifetime included a brickmason, a grocer, a farmer, a dairyman, and one who ran an ice cream business. What any may have lacked in formal education was insignificant. They were humble men, and because they were humble, they were taught and magnified by the Holy Spirit. Without exception, they were greatly strengthened as they learned to labor diligently to fulfill their callings, and to minister to the Saints they were called to preside over. So it is with all of the callings in the Church. President Monson teaches us, “Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies” (Thomas S. Monson, Ensign, May 1988, p. 43).

• 3 months later...

I was raised agnostic.

I can guarantee that I did not lose any of my IQ, common sense, individuality, or freedom by becoming a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

When I was agnostic, I was turned off by so-called Christians who turned their noses up at me, made fun of me, and even persecuted me for being agnostic.

I am equally turned off by those who ridicule religious people (regardless of denomination) for believing in a higher power(s).

No matter what side of the fence I have been on, I have respected the other side. I have found that those who belittle others for merely having a different opinion are bullies.

I am secure enough in my own beliefs, that I do not need to seek out and persecute others who are different than me. That is NOT a sign of superior intelligence.

I guess I just won't ever understand why people think they have to "prove" others are wrong for their own opinion/belief to be correct.

I feel right about my own choice, and I don't need to go around belittling others to justify that belief.

That door swings both ways. I stand up for my agnostic/atheist friends and believe that they should believe as they desire, and I also stand up and correct my LDS friends when they stray from what is doctrine and say ridiculous, out-in-left-field comments that are NOT true.

Pride likes to bring us all below what we ought to be, and pride can be found in any religion (or lack thereof), any race, any gender, any nationality, and any society.

Pride (which is almost always accompanied by arrogance, selfishness, and intolerance) is the quickest way to build barriers and walls.

Pride is nobody's friend, and it will betray you and leave you stranded and lonely every chance it gets.

~TG