Anti-Depressants - do we really need them?

Guest Username-Removed

Guest Username-Removed

I can tell you from personal experience that when I get poor sleep or not enough sleep I'm not as receptive to the spirit (or anything else, for that matter).

True that. There's lots of things I have discovered over the years that hinders the spirit.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Username-Removed

Ya, caffiene is one of those that really take it away. For me, one can of high caffiene energy drink can reduce or take away the spirit for nearly 24 hours

Your posting is revealing your true maturity level...take heed.

I would if someone other than a 49 year old who posts like a teenager was telling me. So I guess you don't care to answer my CFR. That is fine. I just like to be clear about what is doctrine, what is taught by the church, and what sort of folklore is passed off as such.

Antidepressants have their place within the scope of medical practice and psychological intervention. It is a scientifically documented fact that they work and that they help.

We must avoid generalizing and/or demonizing pharmacological interventions for mental illness. It is dangerous and it is certainly not based on science. We are all entitled to our opinion when it comes to mental health issues but it should not be confused with facts.

Some people do need and certainly benefit from taking antidepressants. Being chronic or situational, as in the case above (divorce, grief), Depression is very real and has to be treated accordingly. Let's not go back to the middle ages when they used to treat schizophrenia by drilling the scalp. Sounds bizarre, uh?

Just my thoughts.

I would if someone other than a 49 year old who posts like a teenager was telling me. So I guess you don't care to answer my CFR. That is fine. I just like to be clear about what is doctrine, what is taught by the church, and what sort of folklore is passed off as such.

The only immature posting here is you and right now, my patience on your behavior is just about to run out. Do you understand?

The only immature posting here is you and right now, my patience on your behavior is just about to run out. Do you understand?

I hardly can understand anything you type, due to lack of logic, reason, citations, proper grammar, spelling etc...

But please, do something out of the norm for you, and tell me what exactly is immature about my posting here. My expressed distaste for your invention of church doctrine? Like when you tried to say Jesus can be too busy at times. Or maybe how I keep asking you to support things you say with any sort of evidence? Do you understand how to support a claim with evidence?

Guest Username-Removed

I do apologize Wordflood for any 'mud slinging' in your thread.

Its all good. You have been more patient than I would have been.

Before I leave today, this weekend I will be visiting the Marines. Any advice on the usage of Prozac would be helpful. This is common given medication to those who are returning from Iraq.

Why would you think you could advise anyone about their medications?

You are not a doctor; therefore, you are not qualified to advise anyone about his medicatoins.

These meds are not to be toyed with. If someone asks you about prozac, you should decline to answer as you are not his or her doctor.

Plus it could be very dangerous. If you advised a soldier to stop taking it, the results could be disastrous, and you would be responsible for the disaster.

I don't mean you would be criminally liable. I am saying you would be personally responsible.

Elphaba

Thanks for your viewpoint and I do appreciate your candor remarks but I rather rely on the merits of the Spirit here Elph. Something I had learned to do in these situations.

You are saying you would give medical advice to someone even though you are not a doctor?

Are you seriously saying that?

Do you have any idea how dangerous that could be?

Elphaba

Thanks for your viewpoint and I do appreciate your candor remarks but I rather rely on the merits of the Spirit here Elph. Something I had learned to do in these situations.

You are saying you would give medical advice to someone even though you are not a doctor?

Are you seriously saying that?

Do you have any idea how dangerous that could be?

Elphaba

Yikes !

:sadtombstone:

Edited by GoodK

I was reading some of the medical threads and wanted to comment on my own experience with an Anti-Depressant called Effexor.

About 8 years ago I started taking Effexor after my divorce. I admit, I had a bit of a hard time dealing with my son and my daughter moving far away from me. Yes, I wanted the divorce because of circumstances with my wife. However, I never thought that she would have been that ruthless when it came to working with the kids to help them understand what was going on. She just decided to leave and I had about 10 seconds to say goodbye to them.

After trying to deal with the loss of my kids, I noticed my career was suffering. To make things worse, I became inactive in the church. I just couldnt go because of rumor after rumor that I was the womanizer! LOL which is really silly! But the reputation that I had worked so hard on was gone.

So after about a year trying to deal with the changes, I talked to my doctor about anti-depressants. After trying several types, I ended up on Effexor. I was prescribed 1/2 of the minimum dosage. One thing I noticed about these anti-depressants is that there was very little "good times" and very little "bad times". I was in my dream career, and I could care less. I was a project manager for several major telecom companies working on their DSL projects. The joy of my career simply wasn’t there. And of course, there was no feeling of despair either.

After a few years, I felt I was ready to stop my medication. After consulting with my doctor, He advised me not to stop. About that time there were news articles about people killing themselves after suffering severe depression as a result of discontinuing their medication.

I prayed a lot about it. Then, finally 6 months later, I stopped. I was ready for the worse. The next day, I had those same symptoms that the news articles published. Luckily, my logical mind knew where this was coming from, and, after a week I was fine. In two weeks, I was feeling the normal ups and downs that I love so much about living in the world.

Now, 10 years after my divorce, I am in a great career, well respected by my work peers and fellow church members. My life has great purpose and I look back at the learning experiences of my life and cherish them with no regrets.

I often wonder if my use of anti-depressants simply delayed me dealing with the loss of my kids. I also wonder if the anti-depressants may have blocked some of the revelation that I would normally have received to help me deal with the loss.

Regardless, I wanted to post this personal thread to anybody that might be considering taking anti-depressants. Also please read some of the most recent articles on anti-depressants such as what the FDA is now saying that even the effectiveness of popular antidepressants have been exaggerated. These include: Wyeth's Effexor and Pfizer Inc.'s Zoloft.

The purpose of this post is not a political statement from me that I am anti-medication. I am not. I simply wanted to share my experience with the forum that it, in some way, may help someone else.

Thank you for your sincere post. :)

I have had experience with Effexor as well.

It saved my life. BUT...

Things got A LOT worse that first week or two of taking the medicine before they got better. But that is stated in the directions.

Still, although I knew what was happening...my battle was very serious and very real. I hung on only by the barest of threads.

After being on it for a year...my new doc wanted me off of it. But he knew it would be a gradual process. For most, Effexor IS NOT a drug to go cold turkey with. I have since read some truly horrible stories of people not being able to get off of it.

I was scared that I would be one of those. Not only did my doc want me off of it, but the Spirit prompted me to begin coming off of it. I would have never done so other wise.

If I even took my meds (at first 150 mg) even an few hours late...I would experience EXTREME vertigo. It was AWFUL.

At any rate, it took another year before I was off of it completely.

I am now on Prozac.

We are all different. I am a woman. I experience PMS. I get VERY low and moody. Also, I suffered PostPartum Depression with two of my three pregnancies. Each one successively worse than the one before.

Mental illness runs in my family on my father's side...as well as suicide.

Some people never need medicine, only the occasional "talk" session. Some people need medicine to help them through a situation. Some need medicine indefinitely.

All medical issues should be a matter of pondering, prayer, research, consultation with a doctor(s), and finally, a decision should be reached by the Spirit.

It is not a matter of being for or against depression medication...it is a matter of doing what is right for US, individually, by following the Spirit.

Guest Username-Removed

When I had my depression, I talked to friends about it. Then I went to my doctor. I did quite a bit of talking to friends that were on Paxil & Welbutrin. When I went to the doc, we tried several and the Effexor worked the best for me. Webutrin took all emotions away and that wasnt what I was looking for. But I suppose it could be different for everyone.

I never felt like anybody was acting like a doctor, just giving me thier opinion on how the meds worked for them.

Does anybody think that some medication can take away from receiving the spirit or gaining revelation?

I say this because we some that things like too much caffiene and alcohol can impair our spiritual reception. Are there some other meds that can do the same thing?

I guess that could depend. When I had dental surgery to remove 7 teeth...I was on some powerful stuff. Not only did it take awhile for the anesthesia to wear off, but the pain meds were powerful. Basically I was a zombie for a day and a half.

But, I don't think I missed any major revelations during that time!!!! :lol:

I see your point, though. Still, as long as we follow the spirit...we will be fine.

Also, I have learned that if you want medicine, go to a psychiatrist. That is all they deal in. Other docs in sociology, psychology, etc. deal with things specific to their knowledge/degree, and counselors and such cannot prescribe meds. I think that is right. All the stuff I learned about who can/cannot prescribe meds from last semester has left my brain to make room for new information during summer semester!!!!! LOL LOL

There are some who can do meds and personality/behavior/family counseling...but I can't remember if it is psychologist? There might be a difference between a psychologist who can prescribe meds and one who can't. ????

It can be VERY hard to find what is right. Thankfully we have the spirit and we have open dialogue in these times about mental illness. ^_^