What is the difference

Excommunication involves a removal of your name from the records of the Church, as well as the dissolution of your covenants, and rescinding of your priesthood (if you have it) and all your promised blessings (including your Patriarchal Blessing.)

I think it also has all the elements of disfellowship that I'll list now:

You can not take the Sacrament, I believe. You can not give the public prayers (before/after meetings), and you're not authorized to use the priesthood (if you have it.) You're also not allowed to hold a calling.

I do not know about probation.

In a nutshell, these are different levels of church discipline based on different levels of seriouisness.

I wouldn't say excommunication is rarer now than in the past. Generally speaking, what got you exed in 1920 will get you exed in 2008. For excommunicatable stuff, the church leader takes the sinner, the injured party/ies, and the good name of the church all into account. For example, if you assaulted a child, it doesn't matter how sorry or repentant you are, you'll most likely be excommunicated for a period of a year or more.

Disfellowshipped is less severe than excommunication, more severe than formal probation. It's sort of a mandatory cooling off period, or like an athlete being temporarily banned from competing for a certain time but still a member of the team.

Formal probation usually is the result of a disciplinary council, and involves certain formal steps like "don't take the sacrament for 6 months, meet /w the Bishop monthly, and other formal goals. It's between you and the council and the Lord.

Informal probabion often is, well, informal. It's between you and your Bishop/SP/BP and the Lord. Doesn't require a disciplinary council. Your spouse may not even be informed unless you tell him/her. The timeframe is usually shorter.

There's a difference between murdering someone and getting in a fight for unrighteous reasons. There's a difference between sexually assaulting someone, and looking at a playboy. There's a difference between an unrepentant rebellious soul and a broken heart and contrite spirit. The church leader basically will pick whatever level helps the person the most.

LM

Probation is a legal sanction and usually follows jail at the county level. Probation is similiar but done following prison. :lol: just thought I'd lay that out for you.

Really? In my experience probation also tends to PROCEED prison time:

IE, first and lesser offenses earn you probation. If you do not follow the stipulations you go to jail/prison.

20 years ago I left the church. Since I am going thru this now to be a member again.. I was told that all blessings would be restored to me.. when I got re-baptized. So my priesthood and patriarchal blessing will be restored as if I never left the church. So I told the Bishop I would need a new copy of my Patriarchal Blessing as I have lost it.. and he told me no problem.

Really? In my experience probation also tends to PROCEED prison time:

IE, first and lesser offenses earn you probation. If you do not follow the stipulations you go to jail/prison.

That can be the case too. It was a joke so I didn't really want to get into the extent of each.

One of the cases I am familiar with, a H.P was excommunciated. All blessings & priesthood were restored finally after all requirements were satisfactorily met, time had passed, and an Ass't To the Twelve interviewed the excommunicated individual and his spouse (both interviews were seperate) by an ass't to the twelve, who also restored everything.