Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon

Snow

Yes, it is quite the story. In a major scholarly book on chiasmus, which I believe John helped edit, he was tasked with including a chapter on chiasmus in the Book of Mormon. Clearly, some scholars are beginning to see the power in this ancient tome.

Of course, some would call it a coincidence or a natural inclination to create chiasmus in our writings, but I do not think it is true to the depth and complexity of some of the chiasmus in the Book of Mormon.

Guest Xzain

So. Very. Nice.

That was a very nice article. I especially liked how the author put it into a chiasmus structure.

A couple points of interest to me from the article:

The professor acknowledged that the examples [of a chiasmus structure] were "very good!" But when he learned the texts' origins were Mormon, he tossed the missionaries out.

Was anyone else reminded of Prof. Anton?

Welch believes chiasmus in the Book of Mormon helps readers find greater meaning in its pages. It deepens their experience -- illuminating the craft, creativity, poetry, structure, inspiration and technique of its different authors. It leads more people to pray about it.

I have found in my own life that a deeper understanding of the culture, style, etc. behind any writing deepens understanding and appreciation of it. I am now geeking about to look for more chiasmus structure in the Book of Mormon!

This entire article reminds me of a quote from Terry B. Ball, professor of ancient scripture at BYU:

"A faith confirmed by the Spirit is further confirmed and informed by education."

Snow, I heartily thank you for posting this!

It is most important to note that the chiasm is not the only form of Hebrew poetry. The most complex ancient scripture of Hebrew poetry is the book of Isaiah. Interestingly the manner and structure in which Isaiah is quoted within the Book of Mormon preserves all the complexities present in the verses quoted. I am not aware of any other modern writings that even come close to preserving these ancient structures.

It is also important to note that the ancients considered that to be able to write in the poetic Hebrew forms was a sign that a prophet had been sent by G-d (see how Joseph speaks to Pharaoh concerning the dreams for example). Also I would point out that the chiasm was also considered to be the structure of the plan of salvation and a key to understanding of things that were are and will be (prophesy). For example it was believed that the symbols of Eden, the fall, mortal man, covenants of salvation then exaltation as a return form a chiasm.

The Traveler

How funny! I've actually noticed this type of structure within the Scriptures (both BoM and Bible) but had no clue that it was anything "official" (meaning, I thought it was just that person's writing style, or their personal method of making a point), so learning now that it's an ancient Hebrew form of "poetry" doesn't surprise me. And it doesn't surprise me that it appears in the BoM either.

There is a lady from the Restoration Branches (conservatives who left the RLDS (now Community of Christ church)) who has spent several years looking for every Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon, and hopes to have an edition of the Book of Mormon printed in the Chiasmus structure in the future.

Chiamsus is getting less and less attention today, as it seems clear Joseph Smith used the same technique in his other writings. Did you know chiasmus exists in the Doctrine and Covenants?

I don't see how this can be used as evidence for the Book of Mormon.

No problem. You're not required to see.

I recall an individual on the FAIR site tell the story of going in and seeing Sandra Tanner in her bookstore once. He asked her if they were to find a 2000 year old sign in Mesoamerica that said, "25 miles to Zarahemla", if that would be proof for the Book of Mormon. He said she paused for a moment, and then said, "it would be a point of discussion."

IOW, some people would not be impressed or open-minded even if a 1000 pound Looney Tunes' anvil full of evidence dropped on them.

While I agree there is no "proof", since that would basically require the 2nd Coming to occur and Jesus concur to the Book of Mormon's veracity, anhonest person would state that there are some strong evidences pointing toward the Book of Mormon (just as an honest person would state there are some unanswered questions, as well).

Evidence of 40 ancient names that were not previously known, such as "Alma." Other ancient documents found on metal plates, some in stone boxes. Forms of Reformed Egyptian are discovered to actually exist. The locations of the valley of Lemuel, Nahom, and the Arabian Bountiful have all been identified with high probability. Ancient Mesoamerican city names of Lamanai and Qumarkah (Cumorah), among others have been found. Early Aztec and Incan stories of a white, bearded God. An Incan story of when the sun went missing for many days, and when it finally returned, Viracocha, the bearded white God came to visit the people. Several other ancient Native American stories that tie in closely with Book of Mormon events. Chiasmus.

Shall I go on? While one or two may be a coincidence, how many direct hits does it take to make things statistically feasible? Any statisticians out there care to comment?

Our former Stake President taught a Fireside about this to the youth of our ward many years ago. It was the first time I really understood a lot of what this means for many scholars.

I can still remmeber the trivia question he posed to the youth during that Fireside...

"Who were the 3 most valiant spirits during the pre-mortal existence?"

Edited by Justice

Our former Stake President taught a Fireside about this to the youth of our ward many years ago. It was the first time I really understood a lot of what this means for many scholars.

I can still remmeber the trivia question he posed to the youth during that Fireside...

"Who were the 3 most valiant spirits during the pre-mortal existence?"

I thought about answering it, but decided not to boast. :conscience:

I think that most of us/many of us are familiar by now with chiasmus and it's use in the Book of Mormon and that John Welch was the one that discovered it.

I wasn't aware, however, of the specifics of Welch's discovery. Here's an interesting read:

Mormon Times - How missionary found Book of Mormon secret

Sorry, I double post this link. Well worth the time in reading this. ^_^

Well, the Stake President who gave the fireside was President David A. Bednar. He said the 3 most righteous spirits in the pre-mortal existence were...

Jehova (Jesus Christ)

Michael (Adam)

Gabriel (Noah)

It makes sense if you think about it.

I think I would have included the Holy Ghost in the top three, myself. Then again, who is to say that Michael or Gabriel didn't hold that position at one time or another?

Besides the use of chiasms in the Book of Mormon there are some interesting Egyptian literary forms or Colophons. Among the most prominent are Nephi’s opening (1Nephi 1:1-3) and closings to his text.

An opening colophon contains 4 elements:

1. The date

2. The titles of Nasim ( the author)

3. The names of the Nasim’s parents, their virtues and divine purpose or calling.

4. A statement of the value or purpose and truthfulness of the following text.

A closing form with the formula {iw-f-pw} which translates as “thus it is” and “so it is” See 1Nephi 9:6, 14:30 and 22:31)

The Traveler

Colophons are common in the Book of Mormon. About the only book without a colophon is the Book of Mosiah. And it probably had one originally.

When Joseph Smith translated the plates, the small plates of Nephi and Words of Mormon were actually placed after Moroni's book. So the Book of Lehi was Mormon's compilation of Lehi through Omni. The 116 pages that were lost are believed to have included the first couple chapters of Mosiah, and so we no longer have the colophon for that book. What is Mosiah chapter 1, was probably chapter 2 or 3.

This becomes an evidence against the two or three fraudulent "Books of Lehi" that are on the Internet right now. Supposedly God has told two or three people to rewrite it, giving them the plates to do it from. Sadly, the books do not equal 116 pages, nor do they finish with the first couple chapters of Mosiah with a colophon.