Kirby Heyborne Part Deux... Hops?

KosherXMorg

Or the Mormon that has to work on Sunday?

We all draw our own lines in the sand. There are some things I will not do, that others are fine with. I'm sure that some of the choices I have made would appall others. We are all exercising our free agency at varying levels of understanding.

I agree that we should not judge nor look down on another's choice. We are not privy to their motives or circumstances in making the decisions they do.

We will all be held accountable/judged, eventually...

You know, my Bishop owns several popular restaurants here in Spokane, and all of them have bars in them. I guess if it doesn't bother the Stake Authorities, it doesn't bother me. Besides, I don't remember anything about not trading in booze and baccy, just not using it.

Besides, I have some hooch stored away as part of the long-term storage. Medical purposes, trade goods, etc.

So what do you think of say a Mormon family in Eastern Washington State who has a farm and grows hops?

Or a Mormon who works as delivery guy for Budweiser or at a plant loading trucks?

Self-righteous judgment is dangerous territory.

what do you think about it???? I look at it this way.....its their life......leave the judging to the Savior...

So what do you think of say a Mormon family in Eastern Washington State who has a farm and grows hops?

Or a Mormon who works as delivery guy for Budweiser or at a plant loading trucks?

Who cares. It's not a sin to grow things. It's not a sin to sell things. If you aren't LDS, it's not even a sin to drink beer.

Kirby?

He is a Mormon actor who promotes good values, he is a mormon singer who promotes values in singing, he is a speaker to several firesides...

There is a big difference between an ordinary worker who try to live life and balance them to survive than a man who acts, and sings and speaks about values and gospel principles and proudly thrashing them in one single commercial.

Integrity is more important than money. If you sell yourself a dollar, the world will still pay you. If you sell yourself a million, and you're worth at it, the world will still go after you, without going down the path that so many others are parading into.

Thoughtskoto: Kirby Heyborne - STANDING FOR SOMETHING?

I have a brother(not a member of Church) who hangs out in Bars.....whenever I want to see him....I usually go to the Bar he is at....am I wrong????? should I stay away?????

Depends. What are you drinking when you go? ;)

On another note, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Brigham Young had a brewery or winery of some sort, and he would sell the product to those who enjoyed partaking of those spirits. Of course, this may have been before the WOW was made binding on the church, but I don't recall the particulars. Maybe Elphaba knows?

Brigham Young had a brewery or winery of some sort?

His idea of growing grapes for wine in St. George soured when the too dry climate scriveled the crop. Should have tried Park City instead and perhaps we could wear burgundy colored shirts to Sacrament Meeting. ;)

Guest Xzain

I do not know if hops can be used for anything other than beer. If so, I would hope that Mormon family would not sell to the companies making alcohol. If not... well, I'm sure that family is wonderful and they have their reasons for making their livelihood that way. However, I firmly believe they would be blessed if they forsook that line of work and started growing something else.

I think that's potentially a different situation. We are commanded not to touch the unclean things of the world- large, alcohol producing corporations are certainly among those unclean things, according to our doctrine.

I'm sure that person is wonderful and has his/her reasons for making his/her livelihood that way. However, I firmly believe (s)he would be blessed if (s)he forsook that line of work and started working somewhere else.

Yet, is all judgement- of actions, not of souls- bad? We are commanded of God to judge between good and evil. Good and evil are most often given life by the actions of human beings- therefore, we must, if we are to progress in this life, learn to judge between what is good, what is evil, and what might vary from situation to situation.

However, it is our ultimate duty to let God be the ultimate judge of souls. We are to hate sin and love the sinner. We cannot lessen our attention to the first part of that statement because of affection for the latter.

We live in the world. We must be part of it.

As LDS are goal is to be IN the world, but not OF the world.

We live in an imperfect society. The LORD wants us to be humble and meek, but not destitute and suffering. To survive these days, people need to make money.

And while growing hops and selling them may be frowned upon, it's not against the law nor a commandment.

And while there IS the Law of the Sabbath, some people HAVE to work on those days to get their income, or to help others. But as the LORD judges those by their hearts as well as their actions, I don't see anything wrong with it. If they didn't "have" to work Sundays, they wouldn't. It's not their desire to break the Sabbath, and the Lord knows.

The one I would judge is a "Mormon" family with a marijuana farm, or something.

Kirby?

He is a Mormon actor who promotes good values, he is a mormon singer who promotes values in singing, he is a speaker to several firesides...

There is a big difference between an ordinary worker who try to live life and balance them to survive than a man who acts, and sings and speaks about values and gospel principles and proudly thrashing them in one single commercial.

Integrity is more important than money. If you sell yourself a dollar, the world will still pay you. If you sell yourself a million, and you're worth at it, the world will still go after you, without going down the path that so many others are parading into.

Thoughtskoto: Kirby Heyborne - STANDING FOR SOMETHING?

You're accusing someone of lacking integrity -while I assume you want us to assume that you have the integrity the actor does not?

Blaugh.

I know it is hard to make ends meet these days so you kind of have to do what you have to do. I work as a CNA and have to work weekends (because you can't tell a resident to just take care of themselves) I try to go to church on Sundays and I pray often. If you pray about your career choice God will guide you and bless you...

Snow

You're accusing someone of lacking integrity -while I assume you want us to assume that you have the integrity the actor does not?

Blaugh.

-----"Integrity is more important than money. If you sell yourself a dollar, the world will still pay you. If you sell yourself a million, and you're worth at it, the world will still go after you, without going down the path that so many others are parading into."

Read That again. I didn't accused him. I am pointing out the difference. I hope you understand.

Snow

Blaugh.

-----"Integrity is more important than money. If you sell yourself a dollar, the world will still pay you. If you sell yourself a million, and you're worth at it, the world will still go after you, without going down the path that so many others are parading into."

Read That again. I didn't accused him. I am pointing out the difference. I hope you understand.

So you said that the actor talks about good values but then proudly thrashes those values by appearing in a commercial about beer and then said: "integrity is more important than money," but now claim that you did not accuse him of lacking integrity.

I'd buy that explanation... if I were a complete idiot and couldn't read English and you gave my 100 bucks.

Kirby getting paid to do a beer commercial is roughly the same as someone who buys gas on a Sunday. People ought to get off their high horse and work on their own piety.

We all come from different levels and backgrounds, and I can tell by the way your messages imply, yours might be shallow. Stand on a higher ground, man. you can be easily swayed to and pro by the way you make a point and thats dangerous.

Anyways, we have a scripture study to make with my family, so I have to go for now.

what do you think about it???? I look at it this way.....its their life......leave the judging to the Savior...

I most have a real hard time making myself clear. THAT WAS MY POINT!. All those complaining about Kirby taking the beer commercial should mind their own business. Seriously, am I writing in Albanian?????????????????

His idea of growing grapes for wine in St. George soured when the too dry climate scriveled the crop. Should have tried Park City instead and perhaps we could wear burgundy colored shirts to Sacrament Meeting. ;)

But what if they were concord grapes? Perhaps we would have purple shirts.

We all come from different levels and backgrounds, and I can tell by the way your messages imply, yours might be shallow. Stand on a higher ground, man. you can be easily swayed to and pro by the way you make a point and thats dangerous.

Anyways, we have a scripture study to make with my family, so I have to go for now.

So first you claim/imply that the actor in question lacked the integrity that you possess.

Then you denied it.

Now you claim/imply that I am shallow and you are not.

Oh Brother, Okay, go ahead and demonstrate your point. I'd like to know exactly what about your 'level and background' is not shallow and what about my 'level and background' is shallow.

I assume you don't make claims you can't support so fire away.