Gay Marriage?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

DS, indeed we are in the minority and we are all too aware of it. The problem lies in the fact that there is no longer a land of inheritance for us to flee to. We have to take a stand here and now or we will surely be run over and driven out just as the early Mormon saints were. Where else on earth can we go to declare our independence and practice freedom of worship? Christianity, even Mormon Christianity is being attacked on a much grander battlefront.

Edited by skalenfehl
grammar

DS, indeed we are in the minority and we are all to aware of it. The problem lies in the fact that there is no longer a land of inheritance for us to flee to. We have to take a stand here and now or we will surely be run over and driven out just as the early Mormon saints were. Where else on earth can we go to declare our independence and practice freedom of worship? Christianity, even Mormon Christianity is being attacked on a much grander battlefront.

I appreciate your stance and how much faithful Mormons have endured over time, but the non-believers have an even longer history of persecution and also have no promised land. I realize that you are looking for freedom of worship, and I respect that as long as it does not interfere with my freedom from worship and the people who would persecute me for my lack of beliefs. You see legalizing gay marriage as a slippery slope to forcing your church to performing cerimonies that go against your beliefs. I see making gay marriage explicitly illegal as a slippery slope toward a theocracy where "morality" is dictated by doctrine that not everyone believes.

I know I got a bit carried away, but my original intent was simply to make the other side known since this seems to be very one-sided. Take it for what its worth, that is my opinion which I am entitled to, just as you are entitled to yours.

We know what the other side is though.

The lord is coming soon i guarentee it, if the laws start to force us to behave a certainw ay against the Laws of God there will be either a way opened up to us to practice religious beliefs, or, the lord will come.

Guest User-Removed

Must be something in the water in California.......er and Massachusetts and Vermont...... We should have voted for a constitutional amendment, instead we are going to get hijacked by a few judges in some lefty states. But I am just a right wing religious whacko and obviously full of hate and very mean.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....They don't call the Golden State the "Land of Fruits and Nuts" for nothing...bwahahahaha

Guest User-Removed

"The problem is that calling homosexuality immoral is an opinion and a religious one at that. Enforcing a religious opinion on the rest of the public is where I have a problem."

Perhaps those that are both heterosexual and homosexual are in fact in favor of same-sex marriage because of THEIR religious beliefs...what now?

Let's keep focused here...The issue isn't Hetero or Homo...the issue is the Court redefining the concept of marriage...

Guest User-Removed

I just have one clarification: Fourteen percent of the country, labeled atheists, do not have a religion, nor do they believe in any god.

Elphaba

Any stats on how many of those Athiests spend time on a religious website?

Guest User-Removed

Would this result in the closure of LDS temples if forced to conduct marriage ceremonies and temple recommends in order to enable them...I'm just wondering how far the legislation goes in terms of determining what is discrimination and where state and church decisions end or begin?

There is a very real concern out there, that by changing the definition of marriage, the day could come when Adam and Steve would ask for a living Endowment to be "Legally and Lawfully" married.

LDS history is repleat with instances where the Gov't and the Courts have abused and curtailed our Constitutional Rights.

Now...as I post this, I can't wait to see the Athiest, Anti and Apostate posse around here start screaming on the tops of their lungs....

Guest User-Removed

I'm leaving this discussion. I don't have time to respond to everyone and my view is in the severe minority here, so I'll leave it to everyone else to have fun in their pious gay bashing.

Edit: See apology a few posts later

Oh Please...CRY ME A RIVER...

No where in the Bible does it say that Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed because of "gays." In fact, it says that they people "threw their daughters at the masses." Why would they do that if these people were gay?

Also, murder is illegal, yet it still happens. Pre-marital sex isn't illegal. It still happens. Either way, people are going to do what they want to do, whether it's legal or not.

Before blacks were allowed to hold the priesthood, the prophets of the church guided us in the same way. To NOT allow blacks in the church, to have rights, etc...

THEN look what happened! Maybe president Monson is doing the same thing....maybe he's hearing what he, and the rest of the church, WANTS to hear. Maybe as a people we aren't ready to handle gay marriage because it "offends" us.

NormalMormon, if God tells us to marry gays in our church, who am I to argue? But right now He isn't. This thread is about legislation and right now God is saying no.

Edit:

Maybe president Monson is doing the same thing....maybe he's hearing what he, and the rest of the church, WANTS to hear. Maybe as a people we aren't ready to handle gay marriage because it "offends" us.

Or maybe President Monson, our prophet and voice of the Lord, has received revelation directly from God to stand against civil marriage between homosexual people in California.

Edited by skalenfehl

Arguing this subject is like debating with a brick wall. Nobody is going to change their opinion on this on either side by discussing it on an online forum. And NOBODY is going to get anything out of a debate that stoops to insults and belittlement, however subtle they may be. After countless threads on the subject, i've seen come from both sides.

One of the things that I like about this forum is that threads typically have a positive resolution. Threads like this never will. I seriously wish we could just drop it. There are by far enough topics covering this.

I'm leaving this discussion. I don't have time to respond to everyone and my view is in the severe minority here, so I'll leave it to everyone else to have fun in their pious gay bashing.

Edit: See apology a few posts later

Please, do not leave. This is not a gay bash. This is exactly the point I am trying to make.

People need to hear the pain and frustration. Not that they are going to change their minds. But because we need to understand that real people--friends, family, and loved ones--are gay. And are tortured by this whole situation.

I am not sure how this make the situation any better. But I do believe that we have to bear some of the pain we are causing.

We cannot become so calous that we simply say it is what it is and that's that. We need to be able to sincerely say I am sorry that it is what it is.

IMHO

Guest User-Removed

Thanks for that deeply inciteful comment. You contribute so much to this conversation.

Actually...Considering, your position is opposite to that of our Prophet, Seer and Revelator...who's contributing what?

It frankly never ceases to amaze me at how when someone who is LDS stands up for what he or she believes in...they're called bigots and bashers by your ilk...Yet...if I call a spade a spade about you....or anyother Athiest, Anti, or Apostate...I'm told to curb my "kneejerk" reactions...or to be "nice"....

Sadly...most of the time, the only haters I encounter on these kinds of threads...are LDS Doctrine Haters....

Guest User-Removed

Please, do not leave. This is not a gay bash. This is exactly the point I am trying to make.

People need to hear the pain and frustration. Not that they are going to change their minds. But because we need to understand that real people--friends, family, and loved ones--are gay. And are tortured by this whole situation.

I am not sure how this make the situation any better. But I do believe that we have to bear some of the pain we are causing.

We cannot become so calous that we simply say it is what it is and that's that. We need to be able to sincerely say I am sorry that it is what it is.

IMHO

Captain...Not too worry...I'm sure that Alma and Amulek were called "Bashers and Bigots" and prolly worse...

Moderator!!! Moderatorrrrrrr!!!! Hehehe....it would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

Here we go again. The thread is going on page 9 already!!!! I suggested on page 2 to drop it. I mean, other than as a flaming platform, it stopped being truly useful about 2 hours ago. The argument has been exhausted at nauseaum!!!

I am sure we can come up with a more constructive and edifying subject to discuss.

Arguing this subject is like debating with a brick wall. Nobody is going to change their opinion on this on either side by discussing it on an online forum. And NOBODY is going to get anything out of a debate that stoops to insults and belittlement, however subtle they may be. After countless threads on the subject, i've seen come from both sides.

One of the things that I like about this forum is that threads typically have a positive resolution. Threads like this never will. I seriously wish we could just drop it. There are by far enough topics covering this.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this as it has run its course, both sides presenting their case.