Lineage

aodan

So, I've recently found out that most of the people that join the church are direct descendants of Ephraim (LDS.org - Ensign Article - Of the House of Israel)

Joseph Smith was declared by Brigham Young to be a "pure Ephraimite". Almost everyone that settled the portion of America, that Joseph Smith was from, came from Europe; the Smith family came from England. Keep that in mind, my real question will be revealed later on.

In 721BC, Israel was taken captive and removed from their homeland by the Assyrians. Some of them were allowed to return to Jerusalem, obviously, but the entire nation was taken nonetheless.

In Genisis 48:17-19, we find that Manasseh shall be great and his seed will become a great people but that Ephraim will be greater and his seed shall become a multitude of nations.

Genisis 48:11 (JST) we find that the Israelites will look to the seed of Joseph to "deliver them in the days of their captivity, from bondage; and to bring salvation unto them, when they are altogether bowed down under sin."

The isles of Great Britian are mainly comprised of Celtic people (who are also dispersed throughout Europe). The Celts first came to prominence around the 6th century BC. My question is, could the Celts really be mainly made up of Ephraimites (or the rest of the 9 tribes + the 5/6 of the Levites that followed them)? I kinda doubt it because of their ferocity.. but in some ways it makes sense.

If any of my conclusions are wrong, please feel free to correct me :-)

If you have never read David Stewart's page on the tribes, you might really enjoy it (it's long, but well worth the read, IMO).

The Twelve Tribes of Israel Today

Also (although it doesn't really have much to do with your specific question) you might enjoy the PBS page from an old Nova dilly:

NOVA Online | Lost Tribes of Israel | Where are the Ten Lost Tribes?

Here's a transcript of the show:

NOVA | Transcripts | Lost Tribes of Israel | PBS

Doctor Steuss...awesome to see a post from you. It's been awhile. I've missed you.

Ah, shucks Pam... I've missed you too.

Hopefully this won’t be like my posts of the past (where I post and then disappear for a couple of months). It is splendiferous seeing a post from you as well… even if it’s admitting to missing a smarmy heathen such as myself (you can repent for that later).

Ah, shucks Pam... I've missed you too.

Hopefully this won’t be like my posts of the past (where I post and then disappear for a couple of months). It is splendiferous seeing a post from you as well… even if it’s admitting to missing a smarmy heathen such as myself (you can repent for that later).

Never darlin'. I love that ugly mug of yours. hahaha (remember the mug shot you posted?)