When does your mission end?

StrawberryFields

If you are called on a mission does the mission end when you get home?

This is a question that has come up from time to time when discussing missionary work. It was President David O. McKay who taught that every member is a missionary. With that thought in mind, we are all missionaries whether we are called to serve a full time mission or not. There is much work to be done in our Father's vineyard and so being a missionary is a full time endeavor. Yes, it is true that once a person has served their mission they are released by the Stake Presidency, but that does not mean (in my humble opinion) that their mission to proclaim the Gospel comes to an end at that time. Please see Doctrine and Covenants section 4. The field is truly white unto harvest.

I am also reminded of these words by the Prophet Joseph Smith:

“The Standard of Truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame. But the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and dependent till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, until the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah will say, ‘The work is done.'”

When your are formally called on a mission you are also formally released upon returning. At that point you are relieved of your rights, privileges and responsibilities. So you no longer function in that role or perform those duties from that point on.

Onyx ;)

A young man I know was called to an area where he and his group had very few baptisms while he was on his mission. I told him not to be so sad and that I felt he still had the ability to convert many people to the gospel through his caring and love towards others. I have now seen his work in action and I am very pleased. :D

I suppose ones mission never ends.....even after death the gospel is being preached. But I do know from experience how it felt to be set apart as a missionary and how it felt when that extra measure of power left me and I couldn't put the badge on anymore.

Our missions change, as do our spheres of influence. There is a time and a season for all things under heaven. And there are many ways in which we can participate in the gathering process of these last days. I suppose it is up to us to search our hearts and pray for guidance as to which parts of the vineyard need our attention.

I have the most respect for true missionaries who would continue to work in converting the saints through their example and testimonies. At the time many young women and young men come home from their missions there is still plenty of missionary work that can be done. I believe that if they can reconnect with their peers both active and inactive much good can happen. The feelings given out to their friends just needs to be genuine.

I am hoping in the near future we stop using that term - Less Active or In-Active within the Church. I don't ever hear that phrase from the Savior.

My wife last Sunday had counted more than severl times on hearing that phrase from the pulpit. For me, members who are active in the church still are considered less-active if they do not process the Spirit of being Born-Again. Sounds strange but there is reason behind in what I said.

I am hoping in the near future we stop using that term - Less Active or In-Active within the Church. I don't ever hear that phrase from the Savior.

My wife last Sunday had counted more than severl times on hearing that phrase from the pulpit. For me, members who are active in the church still are considered less-active if they do not process the Spirit of being Born-Again. Sounds strange but there is reason behind in what I said.

I agree that it should happen less but there is a group of people who fall into that catagory. Maybe it is the time in which we live and I feel that the active are only a day away from becoming less active in many areas, the same I feel the less active are a day away from becoming more active.... Basically, we are all at risk and to think other wise is fooling ourselves.

Our spirits need to be feed daily, and we are our brothers keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

We are always missionaries. We have hats, t-shirts, and bumpers that say IAM2 (stands for I'm A Mormon Too!) It is to create awarness and let people all around us know that we are Mormon and we are proud of our faith. Visit I'm A Mormon Too! to see what we are talking about, and from there, please visit our myspace page and add us to your friends. Thanks so much! IAM2 (Abby)

Scandinavia is a very difficult place for missionaries that is why they send only the best here... why??? Because the missionaries, that come here, have to be able to go through the whole mission without a single babtisement and STILL feel that they have not failed! And they have not failed. The people here are just a bit more hardnaced than elswere. And as I believe we have jewish blood in us, so it would make good sense that the missionary work is not going too fast around here. :D