I know it's there somewhere

Hey there.

Again, I'm working on a paper and want some info. This time it's body piercing and instances in the bible. I've come up with some amusing, borderline informative information but wanted another religion/sect's stance.

I know there's an edict on piercings somewhere in the D&C but for the life of me I can't place my finger on it.

Thanks,

-ES

This may be sort of off-topic, but I've always found it strange that women felt the need to poke holes in their ears and stick shiny things there. I find it even more strange that this is encouraged and even forced on children. I would think that if there is a rule against piercing in D&C, I don't see why it would have provisions against the 'standard' piercings that most women in this country have.

I have no idea if there is a rule about it or not, but I'm curious to find out as well.

I don't think it's in D&C but the Prophet did speak about it. There was a long thread on the subject on mormonapologetics.org a few weeks ago.

Because there is an exception to the rule for women based on modern fashion ,imo, it's more like the Jews not wearing 2 types of fabric then thou shalt not kill.

Wonder what type of effect it would have on salvation in both cases?

In all my study, I don't ever remember reading anything in the D&C about piercing specifically.

It is one of those cultural things that has evolved over time. It used to be that if you pierced your ears you were a hussy! Now, the church just recommends that each girl stick to one erring in each ear.

I also know some people who still choose not to pierce their bodies anywhere. A decision I respect but don't follow, as I sit here with two holes in my ears.

I think there is an underlying principle here that transcends culture and time and that sometimes is lost as we become to fixated on the practices of the present. --you know the forrest for the trees idea. And that is that the Lord wants us to be conservative in our appearance. He wants us to be wholesome and to appear as such on the outside too and I think the Lord works within cultural practice to help that principle be understood and exercised.

I know there's an edict on piercings somewhere in the D&C but for the life of me I can't place my finger on it.

Not to worry. I'll help you out.

D&C 1:3: "...THE REBELLIOUS SHALL BE PIERCED..."

But it's not merely in the Doctrine and Covenants; rather, all books of scripture teach the wickedness of piercings. The Pearl of Great Price tells us that the Lord's anointed don't have piercings:

Moses 6:32: "And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and NO MAN SHALL PIERCE THEE."

Note the Book of Mormon's clear, unambiguous description of the wicked Lamanites:

Alma 44:18: "...yea, behold THEY WERE PIERCED..."

In the New Testament, Paul confirms the identity of those who follow this wicked practice:

1 Timothy 6:10: "...they have erred from the faith, AND PIERCED THEMSELVES THROUGH..."

Can you doubt the unwavering testimonies of four strong witnesses?

I'm Vort, and I'm here to help.

Edited by Vort

Not to worry. I'll help you out.

D&C 1:3: "...THE REBELLIOUS SHALL BE PIERCED..."

But it's not merely in the Doctrine and Covenants; rather, all books of scripture teach the wickedness of piercings. The Pearl of Great Price tells us of the Lord's anointed:

Moses 6:32: "And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and NO MAN SHALL PIERCE THEE."

Note the Book of Mormon's description of the wicked Lamanites:

Alma 44:18: "...yea, behold THEY WERE PIERCED..."

The New Testament confirms this in the Pauline epistles:

1 Timothy 6:10: "...they have erred from the faith, AND PIERCED THEMSELVES THROUGH..."

Can you doubt the unwavering testimonies of four strong witnesses?

This sounds like swords.....not earrings.

How about Isaiah 3:16-23?

16 Moreover the Lord saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will discover their secret parts.

18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,

19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,

20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,

21 The rings, and nose jewels,

22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,

23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

Two thoughts on the above:

First, it seems to cover a LOT more than body piercings and reads more like a Macy's catalog;

Second, had it been written today, it probably would have included the sons of Zion as well. (Particularly the more metro-inclined.)

There is nothing in the D&C about piercings in that context because it was not an issue in the 1800s. This is a matter of social or cultural context, much as beards. All the early LDS prophets had beards, except of course Joseph Smith, and then, all the sudden, they stopped wearing beards. Why? Because of the social context. Beards became associated with the hippie culture of the 60s and 70s, and the prophets did not want that image. Multiple piercings have similar negative connotations in today's society, at least for the LDS people, and the apostles would rather we avoided that image.

In addition, Pres. McKay was the first prophet since Joseph Smith not to have a beard, and it was seen as leaving behind the polygamist image for good. I suspect that while the desire to avoid the hippie image was a factor, the need to distance the church from its past may have been as much a factor, if not more. (See David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism by Gregory A. Prince for details on Pres. McKay's dramatic effect on the Church's image.)

In addition, Pres. McKay was the first prophet since Joseph Smith not to have a beard, and it was seen as leaving behind the polygamist image for good. I suspect that while the desire to avoid the hippie image was a factor, the need to distance the church from its past may have been as much a factor, if not more. (See David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism by Gregory A. Prince for details on Pres. McKay's dramatic effect on the Church's image.)

Does that mean I have to leave my bell-bottoms for good?:o

Edited by Misshalfway

Someone cued me into what i was thinking.

It was a speech Hinkley gave in the early 2000's that revamped the modesty code.

There's several instances in the bible about piercing, some good, some odd, most cultural.

Just remember, ear rings of that day would be about a 00g or 7/16 of an inch!

-ES

p.s. the first book of john, chapter one ends at 10, thus there's not 13, but who was talking about tattoos in the first place?

p.s. the first book of john, chapter one ends at 10, thus there's not 13, but who was talking about tattoos in the first place?

Sorry, typo. The ref was 3 John, not 1 John. But I figured since I had given such valuable and insightful scripture regarding piercings, I would go the extra mile and provide some helpful scriptures about tattoos, too. Because that's just the kind of helpful guy I am.

Seems more like stereotyping...

As many people before me said, it seem to be more about cultural shift than rules. Long hair, beards, and piercings (especially ears nose and lip) were common in olden times but were associated in recent times with "negative things."

"I had many things to write, but I will not with ink and pen write unto thee,"

yeah... that has absolutely nothing to do with tattooing, but hey, who was talking about tattoos in the first place?

Eurditio Valeo

Look, I only point out the important and relevant scriptures. I can't do all the interpretation, too. You think I have nothing better to do than promulgate scriptural exegesis as some random avatar on an anonymous discussion list?

Just goes to show, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him eat the sugar cubes.

Body Piercing

LDS.org > Gospel Library > Gospel Topics > Body Piercing

Latter-day prophets strongly discourage the piercing of the body except for medical purposes. If girls or women desire to have their ears pierced, they are encouraged to wear only one pair of modest earrings.

The Apostle Paul taught of the significance of the body and the danger of purposefully defiling it: "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1 Corinthians 3:16–17).

Those who choose to disregard this counsel show a lack of respect for themselves and for God. They will someday regret their decision.

See also Modesty; Tattooing

—See True to the Faith (2004), 27

Modesty

LDS.org > Gospel Library > Gospel Topics > Modesty

Modesty is an attitude of propriety and decency in dress, grooming, language, and behavior. If we are modest, we do not draw undue attention to ourselves. Instead, we seek to "glorify God in [our] body, and in [our] spirit" (1 Corinthians 6:20; see also 1 Corinthians 6:19).

Dress and Grooming

If we are unsure about whether our dress or grooming is modest, we should ask ourselves, "Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord's presence?" We might ask ourselves a similar question about our language and behavior: "Would I say these words or participate in these activities if the Lord were present?" Our honest answers to these questions may lead us to make important changes in our lives. Prophets have always counseled us to dress modestly. This counsel is founded on the truth that the human body is God's sacred creation. We must respect our bodies as a gift from God. Through our dress and appearance, we can show the Lord that we know how precious our bodies are.

Our clothing expresses who we are. It sends messages about us, and it influences the way we and others act. When we are well groomed and modestly dressed, we can invite the companionship of the Spirit and exercise a good influence on those around us.

Central to the command to be modest is an understanding of the sacred power of procreation, the ability to bring children into the world. This power is to be used only between husband and wife. Revealing and sexually suggestive clothing, which includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, and shirts that do not cover the stomach, can stimulate desires and actions that violate the Lord's law of chastity.

In addition to avoiding clothing that is revealing, we should avoid extremes in clothing, appearance, and hairstyle. In dress, grooming, and manners, we should always be neat and clean, never sloppy or inappropriately casual. We should not disfigure ourselves with tattoos or body piercings. Women who desire to have their ears pierced should wear only one pair of modest earrings.

Language and Behavior

Like our dress and grooming, our language and behavior are expressions of our character. Our words and actions can have a profound influence on us and on others. We should express ourselves through clean, positive, uplifting language and in actions that bring happiness to those around us. Our efforts to be modest in word and deed lead to increased guidance and comfort from the Holy Ghost.

We should avoid the filthy language and the casual, irreverent use of the Lord's name that are so common in the world, and we should withstand any temptation to participate in extreme or inappropriate behavior. The irreverent nature of such language and behavior impairs our ability to receive the quiet promptings of the Holy Ghost.

See also Body Piercing; Chastity; Profanity; Tattooing

—See True to the Faith (2004), 106–8