Fundimentalism is a "Contradiction"

Brenton

I remember watching a video in which Gordon B. Hinckley was talking about other Mormon sects who are described as a Fundimentalist Mormon, and he was saying that "it is a contradiction" -- originally I thought he was saying there is no such thing as a Fundimental Latter-day Saint, but I was thinking about it last night, and I thought, was he actually saying that it is a contradiction to call something fundimental above a fundimental church?

By that I mean, people saying that there are more "fundimental" Mormon churches ... does that make sense?

I've always had a difficutly with the comparing fundamentalist members to Apostate polygamists.

Fundamentaly the church didn't have an official doctrine of polygamy. Fundamentaly the church was built around the truthfullness of the Atonement, belief in Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ, the restoration of the church, and the translation of the Book of Mormon. Things I believe in.

The Definition of fundamental... (as stated by Dictionary.com)

serving as, or being an essential part of, a foundation or basis; basic; underlying: fundamental principles; the fundamental structure.

Polygamy or Plural marriage is not an essential part for being saved, Exaltation or Salvation. Polygamy was not found in every dispensation. However, it is necessary for the Restoration of the Fullness of times. Every aspect of the gospel in every disputation was Restored to the Prophet Joseph Smith. In order to be a true Restoration in had to include everything before it, even Polygamy. That did not mean that it had to remain an implemented part of the Restoration, jut that it was an part of the puzzle so to speak and if it was missing the Restoration would have been incomplete and thus invalid.

Remember that the Fundamental Principles are...

God is our Father and loves each of us.

Jesus Christ is our older brother and Savior.

Jesus Died for all men and returned again on the third day... he concord Death so that all may live again after physical death.

The Atonement of our savior makes it possible for us to repent and be clean... conquer spiritual death and making it possible for us to return to our Father in Heaven.

Prophets have serve as a mouth peace on earth. A means for the will of God to be communicated to us on Earth.

Joseph smith is a prophet in our day and was called my God the Father and Jesus Christ to be the Prophet of the Restoration. That all keys, rights and responsibilities of all previous dispensations were confirmed upon him.

The Book of Mormon was Translated by Joseph Smith and is the Word of God. It is a companion to the Holy Bible and when studied together will help us to understand God and his laws and will for us better they any other books on Earth. The D&C and PoGP are also of GREAT worth.

Those same keys, rights and Responsibilities have been passed down from Prophet to Prophet, and we are blessed with a living Prophet in our day.

President Thomas S. Monson is a living Prophet in our day. He is called of God the same as Moses, Noah, Elijah, and all the others.

These are just a few, but certainly the top of the list. A short summery can me found in the Articles of Faith.

I leave you with my witness and testimony that these things are true. I have spent much of my life studying and learning these things for my self. I have felt the comforting and confirming witness of the Holly Spirit on a number of occasions confirming these truths. I am grateful to God that we can truly know for our selves if we are willing to pay the price of studying and applying his gospel truths in our lives.

May God bless us all in these Latter days with the strength and courage to adhere to and share his gospel truths.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

As FYI, from outside the Christian world, the word "fundamentalist" has taken on purely negative nuance. It used to mean someone that was unbending about core beliefs. It now means someone that will bomb buildings, crash airplanes, engage in suicide bombings, and kill abortion doctors, etc. I actually heard a school superintendent once say, "I see no difference between Al Qaida and the Christian Coalition." What he meant was, "They're both fundamentalist." It also implies someone who would impose his religion on others.

So, in that sense (one that no dictionary will define), perhaps none of us are fundamentalists--not even God.

Again I refer to Dictionary.com

fundamentalism

strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles: the fundamentalism of the extreme conservatives

and a fundamentalist would be a person who is doing as listed above.

So In that sense I think God and his true followers should fit nicley into that definition.

However, as you suggest in the world today the therm has come to mean more...

Radical

Extremist

and often Terrorist come to mind.

and yes in that sense I agree with your comment. However, I think it is a sad cometary on our world and its continual slide into black is white and white is black. Even our words don't mean what they are intended to.

Unfortunately, these people fall into the same definition of fundamentalist, just on the far side of what we understand to be Morally correct. However, I don't think that the majority of Faith based people of the world... what ever faith that may be... vary few fall into the Radical or Extremist category and even fewer fall into the Terrorist category. It just so happens they tend to get the most media... News, Television movies, and Books. It makes for a great "Story" but, in reality Extremist in any area is never healthy for anyone (or the person how happens to be staninding near him/her).

God Bless!

As FYI, from outside the Christian world, the word "fundamentalist" has taken on purely negative nuance. It used to mean someone that was unbending about core beliefs. It now means someone that will bomb buildings, crash airplanes, engage in suicide bombings, and kill abortion doctors, etc. I actually heard a school superintendent once say, "I see no difference between Al Qaida and the Christian Coalition." What he meant was, "They're both fundamentalist." It also implies someone who would impose his religion on others.

So, in that sense (one that no dictionary will define), perhaps none of us are fundamentalists--not even God.

Interesting points, and I know this is off-topic to some extent, but the Muslims who attack people and bomb buildings, aren't fundimental, they're semantic and interpreting the Qur'an to support their own conclusions.

I remember watching a video in which Gordon B. Hinckley was talking about other Mormon sects who are described as a Fundimentalist Mormon, and he was saying that "it is a contradiction" -- originally I thought he was saying there is no such thing as a Fundimental Latter-day Saint, but I was thinking about it last night, and I thought, was he actually saying that it is a contradiction to call something fundimental above a fundimental church?

Did you watch the video via internet. If so, are you able to provide a link? I am interested in viewing.

I've tried to find the CNN Larry King interview with the late Pres Hinckley but can only find snippets on youtube. Some of them had been altered, with weird voice overs, to convey different messages.