Lamanites in the Doctrine and Covenants by FAIR

Hemidakota

Meridian Magazine :: Answers to Critics: Lamanites in the Doctrine and Covenants

Article tidbit: Who are the Lamanites?

The LGT assumes that a small number of Lehites were introduced into a larger "sea" of native peoples, most of whom were of presumably of Asiatic origin. Critics mistake the use of the term "Lamanite" as requiring descent from Lehi through his son, Laman. But, from very early in the Book of Mormon record, it is clear that the term "Lamanite" does not refer to descent, but to political and religious affiliation:

...I shall call them Lamanites that seek to destroy the people of Nephi, and those who are friendly to Nephi I shall call Nephites, or the people of Nephi, according to the reigns of the kings. (Jac. 1:14)

For many years, I have thought that the term "Lamanite" very early was generalized to mean "everyone who isn't Nephite". This is overtly specified as early as Jacob, Nephi's younger brother, as he says in Jacob 1:13-14 -- in fact, the very first words he writes after telling of Nephi's death:

Now the people which were not Lamanites were Nephites; nevertheless, they were called Nephites, Jacobites, Josephites, Zoramites, Lamanites, Lemuelites, and Ishmaelites. But I, Jacob, shall not hereafter distinguish them by these names, but I shall call them Lamanites that seek to destroy the people of Nephi, and those who are friendly to Nephi I shall call Nephites, or the people of Nephi, according to the reigns of the kings.

It seems obvious to me that, throughout the text of the Book of Mormon after 2 Nephi, the term Lamanite is always synonymous with non-Nephite. This is further bolstered when you recognize that when the (larger) body of the people of Zarahelma joined in with the Nephites, they were considered culturally as Nephites, though not ancestrally. Also, when Ammon's converts wish to join the Nephites, they take a separate name to show that they are affiliated with Nephi, even though they are not ancestrally Nephites.

• 1 month later...

To beging with I tought that Lehis family filled the whole America and that the Panama was the narrow stripe of earth.... I believe there are stil many who believe this in Scandinavia. Especially the critics seem to have stuck to that.

Later, as I red the scriptures, I understood that Lamanities were everyone who did not believe in Christ and Nephities those faitful. It was no suprise to me as this began to be a common understanding of this.

When I first time heard about this, by Poulsnell in FAIRS board, I was very excited as it seemed so right to me, that the area was smaller than the whole of America!