Visiting Community of Christ

falisrm

I read a ton about the Community of Christ through their website. I found out they have a building in my town and i'll be moving close to it soon. I wanted to visit it because i'm curious to see how they are doing? I know their style of worship is way different. What are your thoughts. Would they be intimidated if a mormon visits their congregation?

Guest jeswitts

I read a ton about the Community of Christ through their website. I found out they have a building in my town and i'll be moving close to it soon. I wanted to visit it because i'm curious to see how they are doing? I know their style of worship is way different. What are your thoughts. Would they be intimidated if a mormon visits their congregation?

Hi, I am Community of Christ and you would indeed be welcomed with a sense of kinship. If you asked questions the people would be eager to answer them from our perspective. My congregation has Mormon visitors a couple of times a year. Sometimes the local guys on their mission stop by for Church School.

We have about 250,000 members, most of them outside North America. Our 2 denominations had only 14 years in common, so there are substantial differences in our church cultures and beliefs. In any congregation there are diverse understandings about even core beliefs, and most of the time we live with that tension with love, like we do in families. Hope this helps, Stacie

Stacie, I have so many questions. So the RLDS really have nothing in common with the LDS church. The doctrinces are hugely different like the nature of god. How has the church handled all of your controversies you had in the past? Is the church growing or shrinking because of this? Like having women in the priesthood. Ordaining active homosexuals in the priesthood and having your leader not be a relative of the Smith family. The only rumer i ever heard was that RLDS was in financial trouble, that's part of the reason they changed their name. Is that even true?

Edited by falisrm

Guest jeswitts

I can answer some of your questions. I think most of our members hold a protestant-like trinitarian view of God. A smaller number see God not so much like that, but as the animating force in the universe. Women in the priesthood initially caused a significant conflict and I believe 15 - 20% of the membership left. I'm not sure of the numbers. We have recovered from that and now it's just normal to have women serving equally in priesthood with men. The non-smith prophet has not been a conflicted issue at all, except with those who left already about women in the priesthood. We have had some financial problems and had to release some of our paid ministry a few years ago. We are still financially stable but made the changes so that we operated without shortfalls.

The homosexual issue is pressing. There is a growing acceptance in North America, Australia and Europe but most of our membership is in countries where the very subject is taboo. We are struggling with this together, with a lot of pain and heartache on all sides. Currently we ordain gays who are celibate, in areas where they will be accepted. There have been a few ordained who are in unions, but we have returned to the policy where only celibate gays can be ordained. I don't know how or when things might change.

We changed our name because the focus of our denomination has evolved over the generations. It was felt that Community of Christ was more reflective of the direction we are heading. I have to go, but I'm enjoying the conversation. Stacie

I find that amazing. I thought the name change was to differenciate you from the LDS church and not about finances. It's just a rumor.

I'm amazed how liberal your church is. Accept everything and everyone. Don't you know those kind of churches are all losing members like the ELCA and the Episcopal church? Religious people are pretty aware all you have to do is move to San Francisco to accept liberal viewpoints. It has nothing to do with religion.

Another point i would like to make is the RLDS is not a breakaway like other religions were in the past. RLDS doesn't consider itself once a part of the LDS and they do everything to reject that concept, which is fine.

Its not like when the Lutherans broke away from the Catholic church. Lutherans have a huge history and aspect with the Catholic church, including the source of the priesthood.

It seems the other groups in the LDS family never turned out well. Most of them are extinct or crazy polygomous sects and the only other church that survived (RLDS) has no ties with the LDS church.

I would say the LDS church is extremely independant in it's history.

Guest jeswitts

Hi again, In the past a lot of our energy was spent differentiating ourselves from our LDS cousins. That isn't the case much anymore. The name change probably aided in that, but our focus has been changing for the past 25 years or so, and we now define ourselves by who we are, not who we aren't. And, we are still learning who we are. Kind of a midlife crisis, or exploration anyway.

I think the impression that we are liberal is not quite the case either. It's hard to quantify because in most congregations there will be people all along the spectrum. In my congregation there are 5 liberal leaning people and the vast majority are conservative. However, we are committed to not letting this be a dividing influence among us. This diversity brings challenges and also joys and spiritual awarenesses and loving skills that might not be found any other way. It isn't easy, not at all, but this is where we find God leading us as a denomination. I know that this seems very confusing to those outside our movement and history. We are still discerning it all, figuring things out. Probably always will be. Thanks for your hospitality and fellowship on this forum, Stacie

your comments amaze me so much. Don't you think there is a reason why your church is all confused and trying to figure things out? i thought religion was supposed to fix that for you and the doctrines and principles were all ready in existance, including the kingdom of god. Your church is what it is. A fallen gospel, without principle and subject to change with the wims of the people. Are you going to look into global warming in religion next? its a great policy maker. Your congregation can hand out gas raffles at church. That way they'll have insentives to attend church. It works wonders.

I'm more curious with statistics though. You say most of the members are outside of the country. I noticed they have a congregation in one of the cities in my mission in the Philippines. I wish i knew about it so i could have checked it out. Do you have a large missionary force like the LDS church does. It'll be interesting to see how the church does in the next 20 years.

Edited by falisrm

Guest jeswitts

Hi, It may seem confusing when measured in my inadequate words. We are seeking to be faithful to God's call and movement in our world today. In this process we have seen where some of our understandings were not as complete and faithful as we believed, especially when held to the light of Jesus' teachings, life and ministry, and God's all-encompassing love. In this humility of knowing we don't know all, we seek to be more open to what God is calling us still to be. If that is fallen, so be it. There are things of God and love to be learned in this process of unflinching denominational and personal self-examination. It can be an unsettling time, but it's the path forward for us. imo, thanks again, Stacie

Guest jeswitts

How we do worship is not hard to explain. :) There may be regional and congregational differences but usually we begin at 9:30am with Church School for children and adults. These classes include scripture lessons from the Bible, Doctrine and Covenants and Book of Mormon. At 11 we have a worship service that includes all ages. It is typically 1 hour with announcements, prayers, a sermon-usually Bible based, maybe some readings and always hymns. It is much like a methodist or other protestant service. There will be men, women, children and non-ordained and not baptized participants in any of the worship roles. There is an Elder presiding over the service.

Some congregations also have a Wednesday night Prayer and Testimony service. That is also 1 hour, with hymns, short sermon, and testimonies and prayers and fellowship.

Times vary slightly from congregation to congregation. It would probably be best to check ahead of time. Hope this helps. Stacie

In my congregation there are 5 liberal leaning people and the vast majority are conservative. However, we are committed to not letting this be a dividing influence among us. This diversity brings challenges and also joys and spiritual awarenesses and loving skills that might not be found any other way. It isn't easy, not at all, but this is where we find God leading us as a denomination. I know that this seems very confusing to those outside our movement and history. We are still discerning it all, figuring things out. Probably always will be. Thanks for your hospitality and fellowship on this forum, Stacie

So....in other words......your just like us!

This is totally a weird post, like 2 people talking and ignoring everyone else. Jeswitts doesn't seem to be bothered by falisrm but others are taking offense? For me this has been really insightful, thanks for the open conversations and insight into what we as Latter Day Saints seem to only gossip about.