Its me again...Baptism news!! And a question

OK, everyone.... if all goes well, my husband asked to be baptized (as well as I did) which is set to occur Sept. 2. Can anyone believe it? I can't! :lol:

Anyone have ideas on how to breach conversion for my 9-year-old? I was told just to talk to him, but I was wondering if anyone had undergone this. My talks with him just seem confusing. Any ideas? I hope he feels the way we do and we can all be baptized.

Hidden

mcdoodle

Anyone have ideas on how to breach conversion for my 9-year-old? I was told just to talk to him, but I was wondering if anyone had undergone this. My talks with him just seem confusing. Any ideas? I hope he feels the way we do and we can all be baptized.

Is he attending Primary? What exactly is he confused about? Has he said he did not wish to be baptized?

anyone have ideas on how to breach conversion for my 9-year-old? I was told just to talk to him, but I was wondering if anyone had undergone this. My talks with him just seem confusing. Any ideas? I hope he feels the way we do and we can all be baptized.

Has he been attending Primary? Being in class with other children his age is a good way for him to get familiar with the basic teachings, and to make him more comfortable with things.

YAY! Congratulations!

Baptism is such a neat experience, I've always felt such a sweet spirit at baptisms.

Kinda tricky to explain this kind of stuff to a little kid. :)

My step brothers were 9 and 13 when their mom got baptized (I was an inactive member). I remember that she just told them that she was going to be baptized and just told them why. She also said that she wanted us all to go to church with her, but she left it up to the boys to decide if they wanted to be baptized.

She took all of us to church every Sunday and about 6 months later my youngest brother decided to get baptized...and today he has gone on to servs an LDS mission.

My other brother got baptized when he was 15 but as soon as he moved out he stopped going to church.

Just so your son understands a little about the kids he will be interacting with in primary...the kids in primary usually have had years to learn the gospel principles and get baptized when they're 8. But it doesn't matter how old he is when he gets baptized; he can be baptized at 8 or 9 or 75, whenever he feels he's ready to accept the gospel.

Hope this helps!

God bless.

OK, everyone.... if all goes well, my husband asked to be baptized (as well as I did) which is set to occur Sept. 2. Can anyone believe it? I can't! :lol:

I'm so excited for you!! FANTASTIC NEWS!!

My granddaughter was 9 when I was baptized. One night I was taking care of her and her sister (6 at the time) and I just started talking about Jesus and what he meant to me. I asked them if they wanted to watch a movie about Jesus, we watched Faith in Christ (the missionaries had given me this DVD). At the point that John the Baptist was baptizing Jesus, Erika (9) said, "I want to be baptized." I was a little stunned, but then quickly realized that children are still so pure and faith comes easy to them. I told her that I would help her. She and her sister attended Church with me. About 8 months after my baptism, my daughter-in-law (my son and she are divorced, and my son lives in another state) and the girls started receiving the lessons with the missionaries. One of the lessons that taught the plan of salvation -- Elder Gad came up with a unique way of teaching it, using jelly beans that were sitting on my table. He got down on the floor with the girls and explained it to them so they could understand. Elder Gad baptized my daughter-in-law and my granddaughter on the same day! And my youngest granddaughter attended and was so excited for them. Needless to say, it was a very special occasion for me also!:D

After Erika was baptized, she pulled me aside and whispered in my ear, "Grammy, I feel different, good different." Kids know way more than we do!:)

So excited for you--brings back memories of my day.... The missionaries also teach children, and with you there, it may be so much easier to go that direction. Also, it would be helpful to ask if another child in Primary could attend and be a buddy, and answer questions on the child's level. My then 9-year old did something like this with a friend. And if you just share your simple faith that you learned you are a child of God and that Jesus put His Church back on the earth and wants you all to be part of it so you can have blessings and live together forever, any child can wrap their minds around that, sometimes, more readily than adults.

Let us know how it goes. Much love, Karen MGF

Get your 9 year old involved in cub scouts, and the fun activities. Begin reading the Book of Mormon and praying daily as a family. It just takes a few verses a day. Occasionally share your testimony and your gratitude to God with him. Explain to him how God has made and provided the things he enjoys, and Church allows us to grow closer to God. Tell him how the Holy Spirit has changed you, and made you happier.

As he makes friends in the Church, his interest in wanting to be baptized will come quickly.

Congratulations...the Lord is blessing your family!

The simplest and easiest way to introduce your children to the Gospel is to live it!

Become spiritually prepared and prepare your children by taking them to church EVERY Sunday and stay the whole 3 hours, I involve them in every church sponsored activity and be there with them. Have scripture study everyday with your husband...it doesn't have to be more than 20 minutes, 10 if your children want to be involved, practice family prayer every night, hold family home evening every Monday night. Hang pictures of the first presidency, the first vision, Jesus Christ etc. on your walls. Live the Gospel, be the example to your children and they will follow you into the kingdom of God and in the not too distant future your family will be sealed together forever in the Lords Holy Temple.

I'm so happy for you.....

Bro. & Sis D.

You have got many good ideas here. I too second it that you tell what is going to happen and why... kids understand enormously more than adults often are willing to believe. It wasgreat to hear that your husband also will be babtized!! :bighug::bighug: