An Admission Requiring Courage.

Listener

I wholeheartedly agree that mistakes are educational! I taught myself sewing, with advice from books and people online. I try to learn a new technique with each big project, so "educational opportunities" abound. ;)

Way to go! The baptism dress sounds wonderful...any chance of a photo when you're done?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP-

My father was also an avid crafter. He knew how to knit, crotchet, cross-stitch, how to work a sewing machine and even cook! Did I mention he also worked on the railroad? He learned all of these things from his mother and his aunt. He taught my brother how to do these things. In turn, my brother taught me how to crochet. You are in very good company and should in no way feel "less manly!"

I'm a lady and I'm petty hopeless with all fabric related crafts aside from crochet. I keep hurting myself unintentionally with knitting needles, sewing machines, emboidary needles, etc. Anything beyond replacing a button or putting on an iron patch, and I'm hopeless in the sewing arena! In short, I'm a KLUTZ! This perplexes my family, seeing as both my parents are/were very craft gifted. My mother whips out a quilt a week unless she's feeling ill!

Thank you, SMG. I'm way too ornery to worry about what anyone thinks about my hobby...but your dad sounds like the kind of person I would have liked.

Isn't that the beauty of gifts? All of us get a different bundle, just for us.

Regarding favourites made by others...

I have a tablecloth that has embroidery stitches by my grandmother...many fond memories of her and her stitching.

My children love a quilt made by an elderly woman for a sale to support a local charity. It's just a heap of old denim jeans cut up into squares, sewn together, and then quilted using hand ties. It's warm, and soft, and beaten up...and still takes pride of place.

My beloved wife made the one that takes the cake for me. She used random scraps of red material, stitched together into a large heart, with blanket stitch so that the joins are obvious. This is on a cream background, with a patterned red border. She then stitched a phrase from "How to Make an American Quilt" in a circle around the heart--

"Young lovers seek perfection. Old lovers learn the art of sewing shreds together and of seeing beauty

in a multiplicity of patches."

Gets me every time I see it.

My beloved wife made the one that takes the cake for me. She used random scraps of red material, stitched together into a large heart, with blanket stitch so that the joins are obvious. This is on a cream background, with a patterned red border. She then stitched a phrase from "How to Make an American Quilt" in a circle around the heart--

"Young lovers seek perfection. Old lovers learn the art of sewing shreds together and of seeing beauty

in a multiplicity of patches."

Gets me every time I see it.

I am soooo e-mailing this to my Mom, she loves things like that! :wub:

Listener, that heart sounds beautiful.

My daughter has two embroideries worked by her great grandmother (for whom DD is named), and they are treasures to her.

She also has a quilt made up of embroidered blocks...it's probably from the 60's and I got it at D.I. for a dollar.

My mother made me a felt heart with embroidery and charms sewn on...it's framed and is one of my favorite things! She also made me a stuffed cat that watches over my sewing room. It's hot pink and has wheels. ;)

As mentioned before, I have a beautiful cross stitch that my sister worked as a gift for my wedding - it hangs in my living room and I admire it every day!

I can't pick a favorite craft I received from someone else...they're all treasures!

I'm a crafter too. I used to needlepoint, cross-stitch, and latch hook. Haven't done those in a long time. Now I spin, knit, weave, bead, ... Not too good at crochet, and I don't like sewing, although I have often wished that I could quilt.

I'm too much of a workaholic to keep up with updating my blogs, but you can see some of my work at Double Diamond Fiber Farm I used to raise more of my own fiber too. Now I'm down to one alpaca (he's an orphan - we lost his mom just a couple of weeks ago and he's only a little more that two months old) and a few goats. I might get some angora rabbits again though.

I think that crafting should be for anyone who wants to do it. Men who knit, etc., are cool. Historically women did most of the spinning and preparation work, while at some times and places men were the weavers. Women weren't supposed to get involved in tapestry weaving, especially. I'm glad that we don't have the same limits now. In my experience it seems like most of the time when a man does something that usually only women do, he's really good at it. And often the other way around too.

Listener, that heart sounds beautiful.

My daughter has two embroideries worked by her great grandmother (for whom DD is named), and they are treasures to her.

She also has a quilt made up of embroidered blocks...it's probably from the 60's and I got it at D.I. for a dollar.

My mother made me a felt heart with embroidery and charms sewn on...it's framed and is one of my favorite things! She also made me a stuffed cat that watches over my sewing room. It's hot pink and has wheels. ;)

As mentioned before, I have a beautiful cross stitch that my sister worked as a gift for my wedding - it hangs in my living room and I admire it every day!

I can't pick a favorite craft I received from someone else...they're all treasures!

I totally agree. Every piece of craft received...or woodwork...or hand-made card...etc. bears the time and effort that someone gave with love.

I'm a crafter too. I used to needlepoint, cross-stitch, and latch hook. Haven't done those in a long time. Now I spin, knit, weave, bead, ... Not too good at crochet, and I don't like sewing, although I have often wished that I could quilt.

I'm too much of a workaholic to keep up with updating my blogs, but you can see some of my work at Double Diamond Fiber Farm I used to raise more of my own fiber too. Now I'm down to one alpaca (he's an orphan - we lost his mom just a couple of weeks ago and he's only a little more that two months old) and a few goats. I might get some angora rabbits again though.

I think that crafting should be for anyone who wants to do it. Men who knit, etc., are cool. Historically women did most of the spinning and preparation work, while at some times and places men were the weavers. Women weren't supposed to get involved in tapestry weaving, especially. I'm glad that we don't have the same limits now. In my experience it seems like most of the time when a man does something that usually only women do, he's really good at it. And often the other way around too.

Thank you for including the url.

I think I might be an iconoclast at heart. Craft is for everyone who is interested, and is willing to have a go...all ages, both genders, all nationalities.