13th Article of Faith

pam

There have been many investigators using this website to get some basic doctrinal information about the Church. Each week I will post an Article of Faith so that the discussion of each can be done. Keep in mind..this is based on LDS doctrine and debating of that will not be tolerated. Let's try and make this more personal. Copy and paste is wonderful but reading personal testimony and understanding of this doctrinal subject is far more meaningful.

This is the last of my weekly threads on the Articles of Faith. I would normally post on Sunday, however since I will be unavailable I am posting early.

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

I wonder about that phrase "we believe all things." Anyone have some clarity for me?

And how does one "hope all things?"

I believe that what is meant is that we are willing to believe in anything that is true and hope in anything that is good. In addition this article of faith indicates that we are willing to go through whatever obstacles there be along the way of seeking truth.

Obviously there are many members, like myself that have not reached this ideal. Usually when someone says something really foolish in a religious, political or scientific arena I tend to reject a lot of other things they may add to in a beneficial manner. It often seems that we do not have time for those with whom we disagree – and yet how can we learn something new if we avoid those that have a different opinion or think different of something from us?

I believe that the answer lies somewhere in the concept that as long as a discussion remains civil and we avoid personal attracts we should be able to discuss any subject. Someday I would like to have a civil and open discussion about a certain topic without being accused of hatred or prejudice for just asking the question - of what possible benefit is there in certain beliefs that make such notions virtuous, lovely, of good report and praise worthy - what is to be accomplished?

The Traveler