Adult Baptism

millers616

Hi! I've been searching all over the web to find information for an adult baptism. I could hardly find anything even for a child! My friend has decided to join the church and will be getting baptised very soon. My husband and I are really the only lds people she knows, so I want to make her day as special as possible.

I was hoping to find some advice on how to make a special program for the baptism that is designed for an adult, maybe some good hymns? She doesn't know any yet. I'm not sure what to do about talks either? Also, I would like to maybe have a little celebration after with maybe some members in her new ward to help her get to know them.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas for gifts for her. Also, any tips you might have in helping her (and us!) prepare for this and things we might need to do? Thanks so much!

Edited by millers616

An adult baptism can be very similar to a child's baptism. Just have adults give the talks instead of children. I think that anyone who enters the waters of baptism has child-like faith, and the service should be simple and childlike (not childish). Let your friend pick her favorite hymns.

I have always found that having a couple of sister missionaries singing a Hymn is really lovely, some do indeed have the voices of Angels, maybe some members can come up with some that can be used and why they like them.

That always bugged me as a missionary. Not all sister missionaries have musical talent. If they do, though, I agree with Jim.

Most of the adult baptisms I have been to are almost identical to the youth. I do think that having some kind of special musical number is a great way to bring in the Spirit. I also think that having talks on Baptism and the Holy Ghost can be very special even if they are simple. The music and hymns usually are personal favorites that bring in the Spirit. "I know that my Redeemer Lives" and "I Believe in Christ" are always good ones.

As far as gifts, I think I would have to know the person before I could comment on that. They best gifts are the ones custom fit. But perhaps a personal hymnbook in addition to the scriptures and a subscription to the Ensign and/or conference on DVD would be nice.

That always bugged me as a missionary. Not all sister missionaries have musical talent. If they do, though, I agree with Jim.

Lol i did say some, i will make them feel even better and say Most lol., I just love the missionaries, truly sent By heavenly father.

i understand that the latest instructions are that we just have the baptism. They are doing away with the talks, since you can't control what someone might say in the talk. No special musical numbers.

The baptism and confirmation are simple yet important ordinances.

I think the scriptures are an excellent gift for someone newly baptized. A small get together with cookies or a cake and invite a few friends after that is awesome too.

Don't let the pomp and ceremony overshadow the simple and beautiful ordinance of baptism.

I feel that way about weddings in the temple and all the worldly stuff that is thrown on top, bridesmaids by the dozen, groomsmen to match and all the expense that goes with it. Thankfully my children remembered the simple small stuff is what is important.

Ben Raines

I have found that a quad set of scriptures with the individuals name embossed on the cover is a great Baptism gift if they do not already have a set.

I haven't heard about the omission of talks, but the baptisms I have attended this year all had someone talk as well as musicial numbers. Any baptism I have ever attended is a wonderful and simple expierence. The missionaries, Bishop, Relief Society Pres. are all good references for help in planning.

i understand that the latest instructions are that we just have the baptism. They are doing away with the talks, since you can't control what someone might say in the talk. No special musical numbers.

I was not aware of that. Our Ward has had 6>8 Baptisms in the last couple of months. We will have a printed program with a Scripture on the front, usually accompanied by a picture of Christ. Someone will have been chosen for the opening and closing prayers. There will be 1 or 2 hymns, and two short "talks". One program will be sent around to all that attended, for them to sign their names and maybe write a short note/congratulations, and given to the person as a keepsake.

We have way more adult baptisms than children.

Usually the person being baptized ask those who were closest to them during their conversion to speak.

THey will know them best and know best what to say. Usually congratulating them, explaining how to recognize the spirit, about being washed clean and then continuing to remain clean by partaking of the sacrament each week.

WE of course have music, usually a hymn that has meaning to the person being baptized. The Holy Ghost is not given until the next Sunday so one person could speak on all of the points.

After the baptism, light refreshments so that new friendships can begin. LAst week after a baptism, all of the people went to the near by ice cream store! Really cool!