Lakers

Dr T

We play Dallas tomorrow. This will be our third game in four nights. The Mavs lost Dirk for a little bit and they had a hard time winning, he's now back and they are still having problems winning. We've won 3 of the last 4 times we played there. I look forward to my boys standing up to play tomorrow against them.

In spite of Pau having 23 points, Kobe (21 pts and 10 assists) and LO (20 and 10 rebounds) both had double-doubles tonight we still lost to the Mavs 109-100. We won the first quarter, lost the second and lost badly in the third and were even in the closing quarter.

Lakers to take on Denver tomorrow night. We've put the Nuggets out two years in a row and they give us trouble every time we play in their house. They play well at home and have a 19-4 home record. Carmello has had his team trade issues going on and it has not seemed to slow him down. He is the top scorer and rebounder for his team. The refs often call Ron Artest for fouls when he plays there so I'll not be surprised if the gets lots of calls against him if he's playing tough ball. We'll see how the game goes tomorrow. I bet you'll guess I'll root for the LAKERS! :)

Last nights game was good. We took down the Nuggets 107-97. LO and Pau each had double-doubles and 5 Lakers scored in double figures, all scoring at least 17 points (Artest and Pau 19 points, Kobe and LO 18 points and Bynum 17). Kobe was quiet until going off in the 3rd. He scored 14 of his 18 in the 3rd to blow it open last night. I'm thankful for L.O. off the bench and Artest stepping up.

The Lakers (32-13) beat Denver last Friday and had the weekend off. We return to the floor tonight, team we've become very familiar with throughout the playoffs the past couple seasons, the Utah Jazz (27-17). I hope we play tough against them like we'll need to in order to win. GO LAKERS!

The Lakers led start to finish in tonight's game vs. Utah. It was a 120-91 victory. The Lakers played a great game tonight. We won the 1st, 2nd and 4th while we tied in the 3rd. Kobe sat down in whole 4th and had 21 points and 6 assists as my boys shot 62 percent from the floor. This win marked the 17th consecutive win for the Lakers over the Jazz at STAPLES Center. Pau had 20 points, 7 rebound and 5 assists, Bynum had 19 pionts and 11 rebounds, L.O. had 17, 8 and 4 and both Brown and Luke had 9 points each. Well done boys I kind of loved how we did not ease up and let them back into as we often do. Keep it up boys!

The Lakers' Kobe Bryant earned his 13th straight All-Star selection for the Feb. 20 game at his home arena. He is one shy of the record held by Jerry West, Shaquille O'Neal and Karl Malone.

Bryant, a three-time MVP of the All-Star game, was the overall leading vote-getter with more than 2.3 million.

The above was from here: NBA reveals All-Star Game starters - NBA News | FOX Sports on MSN

Phil Jackson said, “We’re trying to make strides in the direction we’re headed,” after Thursday’s practice. “The players are attentive and we’re working at what we’re trying to do real hard.”

“We’re a mature team that’s used to playing in big games, but we realize that we have a team in front of us in Sacramento that’s going to come in here and play hard on our floor,” Jackson said. “They’re playing better on the road than they are at home, so it will be easy to remain focused.”

The Kings come in having won only twice in their last 10 games, but have been highly competitive in most of those losses, falling by an average of 4.5 points in seven of the defeats, with a 119-95 drubbing in Boston serving as the outlier. Ball-dominating guard Tyreke Evans has picked up his scoring of late, averaging nearly 27 points per game in the last three, while No. 5 overall pick DeMarcus Cousins has scored in double figures in all but three of 14 January games.

The Lakers, meanwhile, have won all but three of 13 January games, most recently defeating Western opponents Oklahoma City, Denver and Utah in succession, with a loss at Dallas mixed in. Key to L.A.’s success on defense has been the return of Andrew Bynum to the starting line up (opponents are shooting the third worst percentage from the field in the NBA), while Kobe Bryant’s offensive efficiency has helped propel the league’s most efficient overall offense (league-leading 109.5 points per 100 possessions*). In the meantime, Bryant — who took the day off from practice for customary rest — is actually playing five minutes fewer per game than he did last season (38 to 33 minutes), which is all part of Jackson’s plan.

*The Lakers rank eighth in defensive efficiency (101.6 ppg allowed per 100 possessions).

“It’s been kind of how we want to play the game right now,” Jackson said. “We may have to change on the road a little bit, because that doesn’t give you as much time with the bench (as) starters are more familiar with the referees and the game, but that’s been kind of the pattern (of minutes) that I want to have.”

Like I said, we play the Kings tonight. Kobe Bryant needs just 13 points to move into 8th on the All-Time scoring list! I lived in the Sacramento area for about 5 years. While there we attended a Sac Kings, Fandemonium, put on for season ticket holders. My eldest son said, "Those aren't the Lakers! Where are the Lakers? No Kings, GO LAKERS!" I thought we were about to be lynched! What can I say? He's a Lakers fan too. :) The people that have season tickets that sit around him told him to never let my family come back.

Hidden

This weeks NBA ranking places my boys in 4th this week.

For all the bumps in the road they've encountered thus far, the Lakers remain a top-10 team in all the major stat categories, remain capable of playing lockdown defense when they need to and still have the championship mentality in the locker room and on the sideline. Staying healthy is key to setting up another title run.

NBA power rankings found here: NBA Power Rankings - Top 30 NBA Basketball Teams - FOX Sports on MSN

For all the bumps in the road they've encountered thus far, the Lakers remain a top-10 team in all the major stat categories, remain capable of playing lockdown defense when they need to and still have the championship mentality in the locker room and on the sideline. Staying healthy is key to setting up another title run.

HORRIBLE 3rd quarter and the Kings are working us over! Come on boys! Kobe, share the ball, get Pau involved already. The less you do the better we are. Snap out of it already. Yes you are now 8th in scoring but a lot of good that does when we lose! Come on now.

Edited by Dr T

The Lakers (33-14) matchup with the Boston Celtics (35-11) for the first time since LA captured it's 16th NBA Championship after a victorious Game 7 over Boston in last year's NBA Finals. The action tips off from STAPLES Center at 12:30pm PT on ABC

Basically we were killed off and on this afternoon. Kobe went off for 41 points but we fell 109-96 to the Celtics at STAPLES Center. LO was great with 15 points and Pau had 12 points but looked weak all game. We play the Rockets on Tues. Maybe today was to plan for the future if we meet in the playoffs or final. :)

Another, all to often poor 3rd period tonight against the Rockets. They scored to tie it up in the 4th to send it to overtime. We were able to hold on and play stong in OT. We had 3 double-doubles tonight. (L.O. 20 points and 20 reboungs, Pau 26 points and 16 rebounds and Kobe 32 points and 11 assists). We ended 106-114 LAKERS. I'm glad we won tonight. Good job boys.

#'s from last game:

5,000 Career assist plateau reached by Kobe Bryant in the first quarter with one of his seven early dimes.

141 Combined minutes played by Bryant (45), Pau Gasol (47) and Lamar Odom (49).

20 Rebounds for Odom, a season high, alongside his 20 points and three assists.

16 Bench points for the Lakers, which doesn’t look great on paper but was more significant since Shannon Brown and Steve Blake were very good early in the fourth quarter, and Blake the entire overtime while matching up with Aaron Brooks. The stat also reflected how few minutes were afforded to Lakers bench players with Odom starting in Andrew Bynum’s absence and playing huge minutes.

11 Free throws attempted by Kevin Martin, who herks and jerks his body in all different ways throughout the game trying to draw fouls. He managed to get both Lamar Odom and Devin Ebanks to foul him on three-point attempts. Martin, however, did not attempt a free throw after the third quarter.

10 First quarter assists for the Lakers, matching their total for the entire game against Boston on Sunday. The Lakers finished with 22 assists on 44 field goal makes.

1 Overtime games played this season by the Lakers, who hadn’t gone to an extra session once in their first 48 contests.

Rumors going around today that Ron Artest wants to be traded. No confirmation of this yet. Kobe didn't want to talk about it. He also didn't want to talk about Magic's comments about their play recently. The Lakers (34-15) look to avenge an early-season loss tonight as the San Antonio Spurs (40-8) visit STAPLES Center for the first time this season. Bynum is out and looks like he will not play tomorrow. He did show up for practice though. Looks like L.O. will start tomorrow. I like how he plays (a lot) but I appreciate what he does for our team off the bench a lot (more). The last time San Antonio lost two in a row was Jan. 4-5. We need to play tough. We can do it. GO LAKERS!

Top two Western Conference teams (Lakers-Spurs) played tonight. We were edged by the Spurs 89-88 at the STAPLES Center on a buzzer-beating tip-in. Although I'm not happy it happens. They got lucky. Kobe almost had a triple-double with 16 points, 10 assists and 9 rebounds. Pau Gasol had 19 points and 7 boards in the defeat.