A consecrated life

MaidservantX

I just attended our stake conference which was a broadcast for 88 or so stakes in Arizona. The speakers were Elder Bruce C. Hafen, Elder Jay Jenson, Sister Lifferth (Primary presidency), and Elder Boyd K. Packer. I loved every speaker, and really loved Elder Packer getting all reminisce-y.

In any case, I believe it was Elder Hafen (?) that brought up that we talk a lot about being "inactive" and "active" but he said that being "active" was just the beginning not the end. He talked then about being consecrated.

I loved this and it inspired my heart and imagination and my desire to take my obedience and love of God and life to the next level that I can personally be at. I hope for myself and my family to become more consecrated than we already are.

I thought I would begin by studying the concept of consecration more in the scriptures and other gospel materials so that I make sure I understand it as it should be lived in my body and my daily actions. As I do, I will post here as I learn. I thought many of you would also have a lot of insight. Also people could ask and answer questions about the subject.

:)

Edited by MaidservantX

I, too, just returned from Stake Conference in Az. Your right all the speakers were inspiring. I do need to know more about what he was talking about. The one that touched my heart the most was when Elder Packer said "use up, clean up, make do, or do without. Our nation has gotten to the point that they waste so much. If they had to do without for one day maybe they would appreciate what they had more. Just a thought.

I think what he said was "use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without". :)

I'm glad he mentioned the election day and that the marriage prop is not just political but it's a moral issue, that we just can't make room for transgression, and how we have the right to speak with our votes as to what values we believe should govern society.

Well, georgia, it was blessed and lucky. However, the Brethren and Sister were in Salt Lake and it was a broadcast. It is my understanding that all parts of the world are to receive these broadcasts yearly. I could be wrong. So I hope you can look forward to it in your area soon.

Right now I am just going to start going through the topical guide, with the words Consecrate and Consecration.

This starts me out in Exodus 28:41.

" . . . thou . . . shalt anoint them, and consecrate them, and sanctify them, that they may minister unto me . . ."

This scripture is also in the context of Aaron and his sons receiving and wearly actual (priestly) clothing. The purpose of the clothing seems to be to protect them from iniquity, almost even to catch, bar, even hold the iniquity as it touches upon them (see v 38). In this case they are taking the iniquity of the whole people.

In chapter 29 it explains how to make them holy so that they can minister, and it is in connection with several sacrifices. They are washed (29:4). They are anointed with oil (v 7). Although I'm going to stop there, because chapter 29 uses the word consecration several times, and so I think I'd like to do that another time.

Back in 28:41, there is a footnote to consecration and it says Priesthood, Authority (Topical Guide). So it seems I could spend a lot of time studying under that subject as well.

So my initial impression of all this, what I take away from this for my own life is that consecration is a result of priesthood ordinances, particularly temple ordinances. Also consecration and holiness and sanctification and anointedness are conditions to try to create and obtain so that iniquity in the world has no power over me. As well, consecration leads directly into ministry. It's never something I just do for myself or has effect only on myself, but I am prepared and called upon to serve outward to others of God's children as part of my consecration. I am part of God's priesthood order whereby he gathers and atones for his children on earth.

So I love this. It's very hopeful. It makes me feel like I can breathe instead of feeling overwhelmed by what's in the world. But how will I translate this into concrete action?

For me, I think I will 1. attend the temple more regularly; 2. renew my commitment to visiting teaching including going the second mile.

Any thoughts or insights you have about this passage?

I love the law of concecration. I always wonder how well I would be able to truely live it. I ask myself at times if the lord asked me to give up all I have tomorrow would I do it gladly. (not sure) I think of job a lot. When I get something new (which is seldom/we single handedly support the used business ha ha) I ask myself what if I lost this tomorrow. Can I appreciate it today but be fine without it tomorrow. My h has pioneer relatives that lived he law of concecration in what was called (the muddy) sucessfully. From what I have read, it worked because there was no selfishness. I have wondered how unselfish I could be. I have wondered if I would be able to be nonjudgemental if someone got more than me. Right now it seems that the only thing I can do is raise my kids. They have issues that take up most of my time. I think along with concecration we need to remember there is a place and time for everything. I like your topic and am looking forward to learning with you.

Riffing off of what countrygirl66 said, I think I should disclose that I personally do not equate the law of consecration with the United Order practices that occured in the early church. The United Order was a method or policy that allowed the principle of consecration to enter the lives of the people -- but it wasn't and isn't the principle itself.

If a person has been to the temple, they have already made a covenant of consecration, and we are beholden to obey that law and principle and covenant in the present, not wait for any future, is my understanding. But the question is -- as we are asking -- how best to do it? We are to give our all to the Lord now. So what does that mean in my personal life, I ask?

Thanks for the insights, countrygirl66.

Thanks for serving at the polls, blessedinarizona, good luck.

Hey, ztodd, always glad to hear you chime in.

I was noticing. You know how in the Topical Guide by many of the entries there is listed a set of similar words and concepts that a person might also want to study? Well here are the similar words pointed to for the entries Consecrate and Consecration: Dedication, Hallow, Present, Purify, Sanctify, Anointing, Priesthood Authority, Setting Apart, and Zion.

Very cool. Assuming I continue with this type of study, I expect I'll eventually get to all those.

I'm going to try to tackle Exodus chapter 29 even though it involves Mosaic ceremonies of which I am not versed in their meaning, and I will probably not make the effort at the moment to do so. So I realize that my understanding will be dimmer.

I'll start with verse 9: " . . . a priest's office shall be theirs for a perpetual statute: and thou shalt consecrate Aaron and his sons."

In chapter 29, as nearly as I can tell, here is the process whereby Aaron and his sons are consecrated.

1. They are brought to the door of the Tabernacle.

2. They are washed.

3. They are clothed with priestly garments.

4. Aaron is anointed with oil.

5. A sacrifice of a bullock is performed. First Aaron and his sons lay their hands on the bullock, the bullock is slain by the door of the Tabernacle, blood is drained and put upon and around the altar, the inner fat is burned upon the altar, the rest of the bullock is burned in a fire outside the Israelites' camp. This is the sin offering.

6. A sacrifice of a ram is performed. Aaron and son lay hands on the ram. It is slain and its blood sprinkled upon the altar. The ram is cut into pieces and its insides are washed. The whole ram is burned upon the altar. This is the burnt offering ("a sweet savor").

7. Another sacrifice with a ram is performed. Hands are laid on it. It is slain. Blood from it is put upon the tip of the right ear, upon the thumb of the right hand, and upon the great toe of the right foot of Aaron and his sons. The rest of the blood is sprinkled upon the altar. Then the blood of the altar along with anointing oil and this is sprinkled upon the garments of Aaron and his sons, resulting in them and their garments being "hallowed". Then the fat of this ram and other designated parts, along with three loaves of bread (a regular bread, an oiled bread, and an unleavened bread), and Aaron and his sons hold these things and wave them. Moses gives them these items and then receives them back from the priests. And then these particular items are burned on the altar. The breast of the ram is left and Moses is to wave it, "and it shall be thy part". I'm not sure what all happens here, but I think some of the meat is given to Moses and the priests, I could be wrong. This is the heave offering, "of the sacrifice of their peace offering". This ram is called "the ram of the consecration" several times.

8. From the same ram, the meat that is left and not burnt is to be boiled "in the holy place". And Aaron and his sons are to eat the meat and bread that is in the basket by the door of the Tabernacle. If they can't eat it all by morning, what is left should be burned. "They shall eat those things wherewith the atonement was made, to consecrate and to sanctify them, but a stranger shall not eat thereof, because they are holy."

I'll stop there as further sacrifices and ceremonies are performed. The holiness of the altar is discussed, and to clean it each day. The sanctification process was to last for seven days.

But I think it is interesting that the purpose of all this sanctification is to meet God. Starting in verse 42 " . . . at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the Lord: where I will meet you, to speak there unto thee. And there I will meet with the children of Israel, and the tabernacle shall be sanctified by my glory. And I will sanctify the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar: I will sanctify also both Aaron and his sons, to minister to me in the priest's office. And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will be their God. And they shall know that I am the Lord their God, that brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, that I may dwell among them: I am the Lord their God." (verse 46)

I'll stop here, this thread is already too long. Next time I'll right, I'll probably ponder further about consecration leading to meeting God and having him live with us. Or you can start doing that, I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Personal Consecration

Personal Consecration

in Stephen B. Oveson, Ensign, 2005, Sept.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Personal Consecration Skip to Content Skip to Navigation Search All Church Content Gospel Library ...

Obedience, Consecration, and Sacrifice

in Bruce R. McConkie, Ensign, 1975, May

... - Ensign Article - Obedience, Consecration, and Sacrifice Skip to Content Skip ... called upon to live the whole law of consecration and give all of our time, ...

First Presidency Message Living the Principles of the Law of Consecration

in Marion G. Romney, Ensign, 1979, Feb.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Living the Principles of the Law of Consecration Skip to Content Skip to Navigation Search All Church ...

Consecrate Thy Performance

in Neal A. Maxwell, Ensign, 2002, May

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Consecrate Thy Performance Skip to Content Skip to Navigation Search All Church Content Gospel Library...

To Prepare a People

in William O. Nelson, Ensign, 1979, Jan.

... D&C 65:5 ) Significant Revelations about the Law of Consecration and the United Order Date ... 83 Widows, orphans to be provided for by consecration to storehouses. document.write(' '); 22–23 ...

Becoming a Zion Society: Six Principles

in R. Quinn Gardner, Ensign, 1979, Feb.

... of the formal law of consecration. (Since the law of consecration is founded on the truth that all things belong to the ..., Welfare Services activities are a vital prelude to the law of consecration which must be lived by a portion of the Saints before the ...

"Settle This in Your Hearts"

in Neal A. Maxwell, Ensign, 1992, Nov.

... needed in building the kingdom! Any call for greater consecration is, of course, really a call to all of us. But these ... As already noted, the tutoring challenges arising from increased consecration may be severe but reflect the divine mercy necessary ...

“Swallowed Up in the Will of the Father”

in Neal A. Maxwell, Ensign, 1995, Nov.

..., 22 Whenever Church members speak of consecration, it should be done reverently while acknowledging that... instead, shoulder-squaring to better bear the yoke. Consecration involves pressing forward “with a steadfastness in Christ”...

The Purpose of Church Welfare Services

in Marion G. Romney, Ensign, 1977, May

... communistic. It was completely and intensely individualistic, with a consecration of unneeded surpluses for the support of the Church and ...us a great opportunity to implement the principle of consecration and stewardship. When it was instituted, four years...

The Atonement of Jesus Christ, Part 4

in Hugh W. Nibley, Ensign, 1990, Oct.

... possession. Joined with the requirement of sacrifice is the requirement of consecration, which has no limiting “if ...:16–17 ). That was a true at-one-ment. The law of consecration is expressly designed for the establishment of Zion, where “they were... Come to Zion! Come to Zion!

in Bishop Keith B. McMullin, Ensign, 2002, Nov.

...of priesthood society are love, service, work, self-reliance, consecration, and stewardship. 12 To better understand how we...we are self-reliant. 19 Lastly, consecration. The covenant of consecration encompasses sacrifice; circumscribes love, work, and...

Ask in Faith

in David A. Bednar Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Ensign, 2008, May

...Meaningful prayer requires both holy communication and consecrated work. I invite the Holy Ghost to assist us as ...would be closed in the name of the Savior. And then the consecrated work of that prayer would continue and increase. ...

Chapter 18 Mosiah 1-3 Chapter 19 Mosiah 4–8 Chapter 20 Mosiah 9–17 Chapter 21 Mosiah 18–24 Chapter 22 Mosiah 25–29

in ... Alma taught his people some of the basic principles of the law of consecration (see vv. 27–28 ). While there is no evidence that the law of consecration was formally established among them, it is evident that this small group...

Edited by Hemidakota

As I've read a few passages in the Old Testament in connection with policy and practices that are no longer administered to the Saints in the latter-days (at least in the same form as is found in the Old Testament), I have gotten clearer on at least one angle of consecration. To some of you, this may be "of course", but I feel it is a new insight to me.

Consecration is essential to our atonement. As Jesus Christ offers the atonement to the children of God (me and you), as the work he has done to reconcile us once again to the Father -- consecration is one of the earthly pinnacles of that reconciliation. Consecration is not extra; it represents the atonement and reconciliation that is offered and has been done in our behalf. Until and unless we are experiencing a consecrated life (NOT perfection per se, let's not conflate the two ideas), then we haven't received all of the atonement that we could. We are still separate from our God and separate from our fellow beings. Whereas the great commandment is to love God, ourselves, and our fellow beings. Consecration binds us together, knits our hearts, creates a unity. It is exactly the heaven, the reconciliation we say that Jesus does for us, and yet we refrain from partaking of it.

1 John ch 3, v 2

"Beloved, now we are the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is."

Alma 41:12

"And now behold, is the meaning of the word restoration to take a thing of a natural state and place it in an unnatural state, or to place it in a state opposite to its nature? . . . this is not the case; but the meaning of the word restoration is to bring back again . . . good for that which is good; righteous for that which is righteous; just for that which is just; merciful for that which is merciful."

Mosiah 18:21-22

"And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another. . . And thus they became the children of God."

Remember, though, that not one of us can do good on our own. Not one of us can effect consecration in our lives on our own. If we do good, it is because the Savior gives us this heart, this ability through his own merits and grace, if we humble ourselves, ask for the gift, and pass through the trials that lead to a consecrated life. We do get to choose to be obedient; that is our part. But consecration isn't held out to us as more to DO so much as the JOY that we have the right to as those who have been redeemed. It IS the reconciliation, the atonement, the being brought back into the presence of God (or nearly so, but recall in Exodus that the Savior said that he was coming to dwell with his people when they sanctified themselves).

I found a cool passage in 1 Chronicles 29.

In verse 5 it says, "And who then is willing to consecrate his service this day unto the Lord?"

Now in this chapter, the question or service that was actually desired was material wealth -- a monetary offering was needed so that things the beautify the temple could be purchased. However, further verses on this are still very cool.

v6 " . . . offered willingly . . ."

v9 "Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the Lord"

I love this. It shows to me that it doesn't matter what we give -- the thing or the work we are giving is the easy part. The condition of our heart when we give is the harder part, or can be. The condition of our heart is the place where the consecration occurs. A willing, "perfect", rejoicing heart. That perfect heart to me is not that the person is perfect, but that our hearts aren't divided in our feelings of our willingness to give -- it's a free giving.

David the king was the one receiving these consecrated gifts, and he sang a psalm for the occasion, or sort of a speech, and here is some of what he said, which I think is very teaching as well:

v 14 "But who am I . . that should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee. v15 For we are strangers before thee, and sojourners, as were all our fathers: our days on the earth are as a shadow . . . v 16 O Lord our God, all this store that we have prepared . . . is all thine own. v 17 I know also, my God, that thou triest the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of mine heart I have willingly offered all these things: and now have I seen with joy thy people . . . offer willingly unto thee . . . v18 keep this forever in the imagination of the thoughts of the heart of thy people, and prepare their heart unto thee."

Wow. All of that right there is all about consecration, to me. (Incidentally, verse 15 is also a reference to a pre-mortal life.) I think what I will take from this is to, again, think of consecration in terms of joy; in terms of the willingness of my heart (rather than specific external things); I will remember that every thing that I give to the Lord is something that He first gave to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making notes for myself on what I think I've learned from the scriptures I've been reading from the Topical Guide entry "Conscrate". Here is the summary:

*Minister, ministry

*Protection from the world's iniquity

*God will come to meet me. He will live with me and be my God.

*Sanctification is before consecration. Sacrifice is how to be sanctified. (Clean)

*Gold and idols must be forsaken. Dedicate myself to the Lord.

*Everything I have given to the Lord, he has given to me first. And life is short.

*The heart is where consecration occurs -- willingness, joy, uprightness, offering, "imagination, thoughts of the heart".

*God will try my heart, and prepare my heart.

*For consecration there is ceremonial/ordinance -- cleansing, anointing, clothing, sacrifice; but also there must be a reality of these things as well -- and then (as above) a person is ready to minister; King Benjamin said he minister with all his might, mind and strength (that the Lord had granted unto him -- granted through the ceremonial and actual consecration?)

Okay, I have to go do my visiting teaching. When I return, I will post a few more comments on some new scriptures.

I find it slightly interesting in studying the scriptures under the Topical Guide entry "Consecrate" that most of them are about becoming a priest ceremonially or otherwise something that is dedicated to the Lord (a lot in the Old Testament). But now that I am studying the scriptures under the Topical Guide entry "Consecration", now I am getting into the ideas of having material things in common (and now in the New Testament).

However, I realize something very important. I'll give the scriptures first, then I'll say what my realization is.

Acts 4:32 "And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common."

The footnote at "one heart" sends me to the following places:

1 Corinthians 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, . . . that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

3 Nephi 11:29-30 "For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of cntention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another. Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away." (By the way, this applies to everyone in the human family, in my opinion, not just the church.)

Moses 7:18 "And the Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them."

My realization is this. What I want to concern myself about as I am trying to change and live a consecrated life is my heart. I want my heart, and therefore my actions, to reach out to others.

I just re-read this from President Monson's closing remarks in the latest conference (Ensign November 2008 pp106-7). "There are those throughout the world who are hungry; there are those who are destitute. Working together, we can alleviate suffering and provide for those in need. In addition to the service you give as you care for one another, your contributions to the funds of the Church enable us to respond almost immediately when disasters occur anywhere in the world . . . We thank you for your generosity. There are other difficulties in the lives of some. Particularly among the young, there are those who are tragically involved in such things as drugs, immorality, gangs, and all the serious problems that go with them. In addition, there are those who are lonely, including widows and widowers, who long for the company and the concern of others. May we ever be mindful of the needs of those around us and be ready to extend a helping hand and a loving heart."

Consecration is nothing more, and nothing less, than the perfection of this feeling of the heart and the service of the hands in our lives. We don't have to worry about deeding over our possessions, because a person whose HEART isn't consecrated (and I'm talking about myself) canNOT live consecration no matter how much material things they give. On the other hand, if we consecrate our hearts, and become one in our hearts with all those around us -- whether in our church or not -- then the most natural thing in the world is to say, "What's mine is yours. If you need it, and I have it, you can have it." And I know we've all felt that way about people we love. So the challenge, and the joy -- it truly excites me -- is to expand that circle of who we consider family and friends, and then the sharing is not only not hard, but it would be hard to stop ourselves from sharing; it would be the only thing we'd want to do.

Today I started reading D&C 78. I read enough that I realize I want to read it more slowly and think about the pieces.

v2 "And listen to the counsel of him who has ordained you from on high, who shall speak in your ears the words of wisdom, that salvation may be unto you in that thing which you have presented before me, saith the Lord God."

I don't know about you, but I love verses where the Lord asks us to listen. To me he seems so near, and not far away.

I don't know what the 'thing ' is that is being presented, but I do know that the whole section 78 is in regards to the establishment of a storehouse, so maybe that is what the verse is talking about.

Listening, hearing the word of God is a huge step in our salvation. It seems obvious, so we sometimes don't realize what a miracle, what a commitment it really is, and what great good can come from such a simple act, a simple willingness.

It is our Father in heaven's responsibility to explain his plan to us. In this section, he is ready to explain some things. As individuals, it is our responsibility (if we choose it) to Hear. The word of God has to enter our hearts. We hear with our hearts as well as our ears. Our ears hear sounds, but our hearts hear meaning.

When God is saying "salvation may be unto you", I think he may very well be offering another step to those who are listening. They, and we, have lived one way before and experienced the limitations and any privileges of one sort of life. Now God is saying, I'm going to tell you some more stuff, and you will have the opportunity (and responsibility) to live a new way, with its new fruits. And the listeners (who obey) are about to be rescued, saved, from mortality in a certain way -- explained in the rest of section 78. Verse 3 says "the time has come, and is now at hand . . . it must needs be". And then he introduces the concept of the storehouse "an organization of my people, in regulating and establishing the affairs of the storehouse for the poor of my people".

I think this is exciting, and I will continue to examine the gems of D&C78 with you. I certainly am not going to say that my comments are doctrine, but I do love trying to learn.

Reading Doctrine and Covenants section 78, reminds me of this quote:

I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.

Some background: After giving the law of consecration and stewardship, in 1831, and starting communities and corporations based upon its principles, Joseph Smith was instructed by revelation to unite these units into one great economic program. The consolidated system was called the United Order. In a revelation, the Lord declared that it was given "to advance the cause, which ye have espoused, to the salvation of man, and to the glory of your Father who is in heaven." The united order was designed to promote economic union among the Saints and to establish them upon an equal economic standard, while preserving individual, community, and corporate rights. Within the system the great Christian ideals of social justice, union, and equality were to be achieved.

There are a number of terms in scripture that relate and have the same root. As you study consecration you may want to keep this in mind. The terms are as follows:

1. Sacred

2. Sanctified

3. Saint

4. Consecrated

To fully understand these concepts one must begin by understanding covenant. One of the most misquoted and misunderstood scripture is Matt 5:48 which brings all the concepts together by becoming complete or whole that has two parts:

First: That a consecrated person accepts all covenants and commandments given of G-d. Even those that appear to be contrary to scripture: See the Abraham sacrifice of his son Isaac.

Second: That nothing is done or sought that is not by covenant with G-d.

Note how the temple endowment qualifies a person as a consecrated Saint.

The Traveler

Okay, I'm still studying D&C 78 in pieces. Here are some verses that I think are lovely, but that I think I must lack some understanding of.

Verses 5 & 6

"That you may be equal in the bonds of heavenly things, yea, and earthly things also, for the obtaining of heavenly things. For if ye are not equal in earthly things ye cannot be equal in obtaining heavenly things;"

First of all, 'earthly things' and especially 'heavenly things' could bear defining.

But I find it interesting that the obtaining of earthly things (in God's way) is not incidental to heavenly things, but that they are inseparably interconnected.

I did notice a long time ago that God's covenants always include a covenant of land, especially anything related to Abrahamic covenant (which covers a lot). A 'land of promise', in fact.

But I think this will all need some more pondering on my part. I'd love to hear from any of you if you have insights.

Okay, I'm still studying D&C 78 in pieces. Here are some verses that I think are lovely, but that I think I must lack some understanding of.

Verses 5 & 6

"That you may be equal in the bonds of heavenly things, yea, and earthly things also, for the obtaining of heavenly things. For if ye are not equal in earthly things ye cannot be equal in obtaining heavenly things;"

Here is what President George Q. Cannon had to say:

The Lord has said that "if ye are not equal in earthly things, ye cannot be in obtaining heavenly things." He has revealed a plan by which this equality can be brought about. Yet, He does not design to make us of equal height; He does not design that we should all have the same colored hair or eyes, or that we should dress exactly alike. This is not the meaning of the word "equality," as it is used in the revelation; but it means to have an equal claim on the blessings of our Heavenly Father—on the properties of the Lord's treasury, and the influences and gifts of His Holy Spirit. This is the equality meant in the revelations, and until we attain to this equality we cannot be equal in spiritual things, and the blessings of God cannot be bestowed upon us until we attain to this as they otherwise would. As a people we are expecting the day to come when Jesus will descend in the clouds of Heaven [sec. 101:23-24; 133:40-51]; but before this day comes we must be prepared to receive him. [sec. 1:11-14; 45:39-44.] The organization of society that exists in the heavens must exist on the earth; the same condition of society, so far as it is applicable to mortal beings, must exist here. (JD, April 6, 1869, 13:99.)

Elder Marion G. Romney explained the spiritual and temporal significance of the principles of the law of consecration as implemented in the welfare programs of the Church in bringing equality and unity among the Saints: "Church welfare is more than just a plan to provide for the physical needs of the Saints. I am convinced that in addition to being a way of economic salvation in the days of necessity, it has deep spiritual significance; and that should other means always be available with which to supply the physical needs of the people, still the welfare plan, or some similar plan sponsored by the Church under the inspiration of the Lord, requiring us to serve and minister to one another in temporal affairs, would be necessary in order to bring us to that oneness, equality, and 'union required by the law of the celestial kingdom.' (D&C 105:4.)

Some background in receiving Section 78, from the book called "Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith: A Historical and Biographical Commentary of the Doctrine and Covenants" by Lyndon W. Cook:

Date. March 1832 (1 March).

Place. Hiram, Portage County, Ohio (Kirtland).

Historical Note. Section 78 was received by Joseph Smith while he was visiting the Saints in Kirtland, Ohio. The revelation calls for an "order" to be established according to a "bond" or "covenant" that cannot be broken. This order, variously known as the "United Order," the "Order of Enoch," and the "United Firm," was created at this time.

The United Firm was a business partnership consisting of about a dozen Church leaders. Members of the firm were either landowners or merchants whose purpose was to work in concert, using the financial means at their disposal, to generate profits. Inasmuch as the members of the partnership were also presiding Church leaders, it is difficult to determine which of their financial transactions were purely personal and which were Church-related.

This dual relationship has led some writers to erroneously conclude that the United Firm administered the law of consecration. Specifically, the Church bishop administered the program of consecration. The United Order was essentially a private business concern.

The nucleus from which the United Firm grew was the Gilbert-Whitney mercantile establishment in Kirtland, Ohio. The Gilbert-Whitney store, as it was called, expanded to two branches (one in Kirtland and one in Independence) after Newel K. Whitney and Sidney Gilbert joined the Church and Gilbert was called by revelation to reside in Missouri. 36 Other Church brethren who had financial means, namely Martin Harris, Frederick G. Williams, and John Johnson, were called by revelation to be part of this order.

Section 78 directed that the order be formed and commanded that Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, and Newel K. Whitney "sit in council with the Saints. . .in Zion," to regulate the affairs of the poor. Obeying the command, Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Jesse Gause, and Newel K. Whitney left Ohio on 1 April 1832 and traveled to Independence, Missouri, arriving 24 April. During their visit in Missouri, a meeting of the United Firm essentially incorporated the Missouri branch of the Gilbert-Whitney Store into the firm.

William E. McLellan stated on more than one occasion that there were nine members of the United Firm, but there may have been more. 39 The following are known to have been members in 1832: Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Jesse Gause, Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, A. Sidney Gilbert, Newel K. Whitney; undoubtedly Edward Partridge, William W. Phelps, and John Whitmer were also members in that year. 40 Frederick G. Williams and John Johnson became members of the order in 1833.

The members of the United Firm were consecrated in their respective responsibilities, and although they were to benefit personally from the profits of the firm, the surplus profits were to be used for the operation and blessing of the whole Church.

The United Firm was short-lived. On 10 April 1834 members of the firm met and decided that the order should be dissolved, and on 23 April 1834 a revelation (section 104), commanded that the two branches of the firm become separate entities and that the members discontinue operating jointly.

The coded names in section 78 and subsequent revelations dealing with the United Firm (i.e., sections 82, 92, 96, and 104) were used to prevent enemies of the Church from taking advantage of the brethren after the revelations were published. It was decided that the financial affairs of the Church, administered by the firm, should be kept confidential.

Publication Note. Section 78 was first published as section 75 in the 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants.