Preaching in Spirit Prison

bytor2112

Those who are kept in spirit prison are the unrighteous or all that have not received the gospel?:confused: Also, what do those in spirit prison have to accept in order to go to Paradise? Do they have to accept the restoration, JS and the Book of Mormon....as we do here on earth, will it be important there? Or only that Jesus Christ is the savior and repentance and baptism and Temple covenants? Will their be competing theology, making it necessary to explain the apostacy and the First Vision and the restoration of the Priesthood and associated blessings?

This may be the gospel according the MaidservantX, but I do not imagine a bifurcated spirit world (prison/paradise). The spirit world is like it is here -- just a world. There may be certain places where like-believing spirits might gather and defend themselves and create peace. I am sure there is some organized evil as well. But I expect on a walkabout you would come across all kinds of spirits who need all kinds of help and who would carry the same beliefs and character they left the temporal world with except with the added experience of dying as an effect on those beliefs and that character. So, yes, a teaching of the truths of the gospel as we know it, a very similar missionary program as we have here, would be employed by the church organization in the spirit world.

Within this idea, it may be termed that any given spirit that does not have a temporal baptism (and further covenants), which we understand as necessary for progression, as being in spirit prison. They wouldn't have to be a bad person, just someone who doesn't have their covenants and the liberty from those covenants yet. But they aren't thrown in a cell with truly evil spirits, in my opinion. They just are going about their spirit world life same as they would here. (The spirits of evil people are probably free to go about as well unless caught.)

I do not know how much we understand automatically once we die. I have often heard of near death experiences and the experience of going towards light and feeling immense amounts of love and having other experiences such as life review and meeting loved ones -- the experience of death seems to be pretty consistent. So perhaps there is a huge welcome wagon thing going on, where there is some order assigned to where you can live and what you can do, I don't know.

But the plain and simple idea of spirit prison/paradise is just a beginning learning device. The spirit world is as diverse and myriad as our life here. In my opinion.

Those who are kept in spirit prison are the unrighteous or all that have not received the gospel? Also, what do those in spirit prison have to accept in order to go to Paradise?

From the Gospel Principles manual:

Spirit Prison

In the spirit prison are the spirits of those who have not yet received the gospel of Jesus Christ. These spirits have agency and may be enticed by both good and evil. If they accept the gospel and the ordinances performed for them in the temples, they may prepare themselves to leave the spirit prison and dwell in paradise.

Also in the spirit prison are those who rejected the gospel after it was preached to them on earth or in the spirit prison. These spirits suffer in a condition known as hell. They have removed themselves from the mercy of Jesus Christ, who said, “Behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent; but if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit” (D&C 19:16–18). After suffering in full for their sins, they will be allowed to inherit the lowest degree of glory, which is the telestial kingdom.

The hell in the spirit world will not continue forever. Even the spirits who have committed the greatest sins will have suffered sufficiently by the end of the Millennium (see Acts 2:25–27). They will then be resurrected.

Do they have to accept the restoration, JS and the Book of Mormon....as we do here on earth, will it be important there?

Doesn't sound like it, although by that time with the veil lifted and full truth available, it would be difficult to accept Christ and not believe in the restoration.

I do not imagine a bifurcated spirit world (prison/paradise).

But the plain and simple idea of spirit prison/paradise is just a beginning learning device.

I've heard much speculation about the details. Here's what the Gospel Principles book has to say about it:

Divisions in the Spirit World

The prophet Alma in the Book of Mormon taught about two divisions or states in the spirit world:

“The spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

“And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

“Now this is the state of the souls of the wicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, fearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this state, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection” (Alma 40:12–14).

The spirits are classified according to the purity of their lives and their obedience to the will of the Lord while on earth. The righteous and the wicked are separated (see 1 Nephi 15:28–30), but the spirits may progress from one level to another as they learn gospel principles and live in accordance with them (see Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p. 762).

LM

You must be properly baptized to enter Paradise. That leaves out a lot of good, honorable people. So Spirit Prison must be a very individual and varying experience from one occupant to another. I think one's own conscience will determine one's experience in Spirit Prison.

I would think that someone who is in Spirit Prison simply because they'd never heard of Christ, but otherwise lived an honest life, would be farely comfortable there, but would also know there is something better and strive for it.

It's called prison because they can't progress within it. They are held back, so to speak.

You must be properly baptized to enter Paradise.

Could you cite the source for that claim please? The Gospel Principles manual doesn't say anything about it, neither does Alma 40. Both only talk about "The spirits of those who are righteous".

Spirit Prison is a place for those who have not yet received the Gospel. But "The Gospel" is just the knowledge about Christ, His atonement, etc. And you can know all sorts of stuff about that, and not be a baptized LDS member...

I'd like to see a definitive source before I make up my mind about baptism being necessary for existing in Paradise.

LM

True enough, Loudmouth. The Savior, after all, did tell the thief that he would be in paradise with the Savior.

I should mention that I almost never view heaven/hell, paradise/prison, etc, etc as a piece of real estate. I got rid of that paradigm, for better or worse, a long time ago. To me heaven/paradise and hell/prison are conditions of soul. So, again, I don't expect everyone to go with me on that, but I did want to mention it, as it colors all of my understanding on anything I read in the scriptures.

Kinda motivates you towards family history work and proxy temple work, doesn't it?

That's exactly what it does. They are taught and can accept while there. But until they are baptized by proxy here on earth..it's all a mute point. That's why doing family history and temple work for those that have passed on is so important. Can you imagine them up there going...Please please please...SOMEONE do my work for me.

I had posted this on another thread some time back. But I found this on lds.org.

Spirit prison is a temporary state in which spirits will be taught the gospel and have the opportunity to repent and accept ordinances of salvation that are performed for them in temples (see D&C 138:30–35). Those who accept the gospel may dwell in paradise until the Resurrection. After they are resurrected and judged, they will receive the degree of glory of which they are worthy. Those who choose not to repent but who are not sons of perdition will remain in spirit prison until the end of the Millennium, when they will be freed from hell and punishment and be resurrected to a telestial glory (see D&C 76:81–85).

Ok I'm a little slow. I have a brother that was murdered at 16. He was not living a righteous life at that time. It is hard to bear the thought of him being in a bad place. He lived according to that which he was taught. Where would that put him? I am not disagreeing, I really am looking for an answer. Thanks

this is what temples are for; and this is also what your purpose is to help your brother; and assuming he has accepted the gospel that has been taught to him beyond the vail; he will be ready and waiting for baptism.iniitories,endowment, and sealings, And the temple gives yu the opportunity to help him with these commanded ordinances. And he is not in a "bad" place; he is just not where we all want to be, Spirit prison is not as hell; it is in heaven just not a high dgree of it; hell will not come till after the judgment for those who refuse the gospel. Which will be after the millenium. which will last for 1000 years after the second coming of Christ.:)

Those who are kept in spirit prison are the unrighteous or all that have not received the gospel?:confused: Also, what do those in spirit prison have to accept in order to go to Paradise?

Those in Spirit Prison are anyone who hasn't recieved the ordinances of baptism, and recieving the gift of the Holy Ghost. They also must have faith in Jesus christ and repent.

Do they have to accept the restoration, JS and the Book of Mormon....as we do here on earth, will it be important there? Or only that Jesus Christ is the savior and repentance and baptism and Temple covenants?

The restoration Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon are specific to our dispensation. They are not universal. Remember is it not required that a person be a Mormon to enter Heaven. Christ was never a Mormon.

But I could understand those born during this dispensationmust learn about Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon.

Will their be competing theology, making it necessary to explain the apostacy and the First Vision and the restoration of the Priesthood and associated blessings?

Actually I can imagine that there would be, since people will retain their same attitudes and beliefs. I can imagine those spirits who believe the Catholic religion would meet together and worship together. Perhaps some of those would even preach their beliefs.

But....if their is competing theology, then the news of the restoration would have to be taught....right? It is interesting that in this dispensation you must accept that JS was a prophet and the BOM and the restoration and Priesthood authority.......that is a very tall order for some....for most. If one has onlyto accept that Jesus is the Christ, repentance and baptism in the Spirit prison.....that is much more a akin to the teachings of orthodox Chritianity. Seems to me that they will have to believe all of that and that it must be done by proper authority and then that leads back to competing theology. Edited by bytor2112

Could you cite the source for that claim please? The Gospel Principles manual doesn't say anything about it, neither does Alma 40. Both only talk about "The spirits of those who are righteous".

Spirit Prison is a place for those who have not yet received the Gospel. But "The Gospel" is just the knowledge about Christ, His atonement, etc. And you can know all sorts of stuff about that, and not be a baptized LDS member...

I'd like to see a definitive source before I make up my mind about baptism being necessary for existing in Paradise.

LM

Happy to help.

Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p. 230

All spirits of men after death return to the spirit world. There, as I understand it, the righteous--meaning those who have been baptized and who have been faithful--are gathererd in one part and all the others in another part of the spirit world.

D&C 138: 30-37

(verse 31-33) And the chosen messengers went forth to declare the acceptable day of the Lord and proclaim liberty to the captives who were bound, even unto all who would repent of their sins and receive the gospel.

Thus was the gospel preached to those who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets.

These were taught faith in God, repentance from sin, vicarious baptism for the the remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands.

Gospel Principles, p. 292

The Apostle Peter referred to the spirit world as a prison, which it is for some (see 1 Pet. 3: 18-20). In the spirit prison are the spirits of those who have not yet received the gospel of Jesus Christ. These spirits have agency and may be enticed by both good and evil. If they accept the gospel and the ordinances performed for them in the temples, they may prepare themselves to leave the spirit prison and dwell in paradise.

Here are my thoughts on this topic:

1) When Christ told the Theif on the Cross, "today, you shall be in paradise" Christ was not telling the Thief that he was saved, nor was he going to be in Heaven as Christians understood, but that because the Thief recognized who Christ was and asked, "Lord, remember me," the response was "you will be in paradise."

2) The Christian concept of Heaven and Hell is in reality the LDS Doctrine of the Spirit world. It is the residing place where those who have passed on, await the resurrection and the coming forth of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is until the resurrection of all souls that we stand before the Lord of Hosts and are judged according to our mortal life. We all will have to give an account of our mortal life. It is here that we will receive our rewards.

Interesting how the Christian doctrines do not expound on the rewards that will be given, but it is clear that they are not spiritual gifts, talents and such, but how and where all will continue after the final judgment. From the most precious rewards given to the elect to the casting out of those who are sons of perdition.

These are my thoughts.