The Nation of Deseret

deseretgov

In the thread about the White Horse Prophecy Justamere10 asked me some questions. Instead of going off topic on tha thread I will answer the questions here. I guess if anyone else has questions you can ask them here too.

Your login id and sig line denote that you are affiliated with something called I think "The Nation of Deseret".

I'm curious about your website and entity but am very far from convinced that you are going to go anywhere with it or that has or ever will have any legitimacy.

Well it will only have as much legitimacy as people want. If people want to enjoy the benefits of living as part of this government then they are welcome to join. We hope that this government will become a place of safety and refuge as the rest of the world descends into turmoil.

Your intentions may be honorable but is it your opinion that ordinary people such as yourself with no direct connection to LDS General Authorities (if that is your status) are going to be the ones to set up a Council of Fifty and a government that will endure throughout the Millennium?

To start off I didn't set up the Council of Fifty. But I do understand what you mean. I'm also unsure if this government will last throughout the Millennium. I feel that whatever God wants to happen will happen. If God wants this government to last through the Millenium then that will happen. If God wants this government to be an active force until the Millenium and then it will be turned over to other leaders ten that will happen. If God doesn't want this government to make any progress, then it wont. I'm not in a position to state what God want's for this government.

About the LDS General Authorities, it should be remembered that the political Kingdom of God is not a branch of the LDS church. The political Kingdom of God and the Church do not have authority over each other. The political Kingdom can't tell the Church what to do. For example, the political Kingdom can't tell the Church that it has to use sprinkling instead of immersion for baptism. Some of the early brethren did not understand this and after the death of Joseph Smith they wanted the leaders:

"to call together the Council of Fifty and organize the church. They were told that the Council of Fifty was not a church organization, but was composed of members irrespective of their religious faith, ... and that the organization of the church belonged to the priesthood alone."

(HC 7;213)

But in the same respect the political Kingdom in not under the Church. The Church does not have the responsibility of stopping one person from infringing on the rights of another. That is the responsibility of the the political kingdom. So the political Kingdom of God doesn't need a connection to the LDS General Authorities.

Why would you think that now is the time for such a government to be organized, and that you are the one who should be organizing it?

Personally I think now is a perfect time to organize this government. There is so much turmoil and improper government control that we need a government like this.

As far as why they should be the ones to organize it? You'll have to ask the Council of Fifty about that one.

What or who motivated you to build that website?

I was recruited by the Council of Fifty to build the website. I hope you like it, if not the content then at least the design.

Just curious, I don't mean to be offensive, I just discovered your website today.

No offense taken. I'm always happy to answer questions. I hope I did answer your questions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I have dug up:

Joseph created a governing body which he called "The Council of Fifty" similar to King Arthur's, just before his death, but was killed before he could harmonize it. After his death, the Church could see little use or purpose in this Council and dropped it.

Joseph set up the Church in 1830 and later the Council of Fifty or the actual governing kingdom in 1843? Did the Lord not promise the saints that if they were faithful, "they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world (the beast) are subdued under my feet." (D&C 103:7) When else in history had the beast received such a deadly blow?

Few realize that the Church was merely a forerunner of the Kingdom and not the Kingdom itself. Long after the Church was organized Joseph often spoke of setting up the Kingdom spoken of by Daniel as a thing of the future. Few realize that the Church is merely an auxiliary of the Kingdom and a mere temporary organization as indicated by the scriptures: "For it is because of your dead works that I have caused this last covenant and this Church to be built up unto me, even as in days of old." (D&C 22:3) Has anyone ever stopped to think of what he would have established if our works were not dead??? It would have been the kingdom.

What is the kingdom? Daniel uses the Hebrew word Malkuw which literally means "dominion". In other words, when the Kingdom is set up, the saints will be given an actual dominion on the earth. The dominion will have a very small start, but will eventually fill the earth. Joseph Smith tried to establish this dominion with a faithful few near the end of his life by organizing the Council of Fifty. Many in the Church are not familiar with this organization, yet it did exist and its existence is fully documented by recognized LDS scholars and since there are numerous good books on the subject, I will not belabor the point by trying to substantiate that it existed.

Joseph Smith had to keep the organization of the Council of Fifty secret because he knew that the knowledge of it would excite the worst fears of his persecutors. Everyone attending was to keep the knowledge to himself, and the minutes to the meetings were even burned. At this point darkness raged more than ever and managed to obtain the life of the prophet before he was able to establish an actual dominion. However, Brigham Young tried to continue this organization and attempted to organize the state of "Deseret" as a dominion, but was unsuccessful. Thus the Kingdom yet awaits to be born.

To those who doubt this we need ask: Where do we now have dominion? We do not even have dominion over our own city of Salt Lake, but the day is prophesied, "And judgment was given to the Saints of the most high and the time came that the Saints possessed the kingdom." (Dan 7:22)

Edited by MrNirom

There is something that bothers me about the view that there was some window of opportunity wherein the saints in Joseph Smith's time could have accomplished much more than they did, but they failed and thus this opportunity was lost. The notion is as if we are simply not responsible and we are now just waiting for another such window to open up.

I think we can open these windows up ourselves. We need to be building Zion now, not waiting for some new miracle to drop out of the sky to begin.

There is nothing stopping us from getting together and helping one another, from being of one heart and one mind, from seeing to it that there are no poor among us, from building up a socio-economic entity which frees us from the socio-economic bondage of the world.

We can do all of this right here and right now. We don't need to walk shoelessly behind a handcart to Jackson County Missouri as the moon falls from the sky and the sun turns to blood in order to accomplish it.

-a-train

That's agreat post a-train. I think too often we wait for us to be told what to do. I think this scripture is fitting:

D&C 58:26-29

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

29 But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.

MrNirom what are your references for those quotes?

I have thought about this for the past several days. I have never heard of the council of fifty, nor a separate political group that was attempting to establish a "kingdom of God".

However, I have studied the Old and New Testament. I have studied First Century Christianity and Judaism. I have studied history. And, the one thing I have kept coming back to is the question - What is the Kingdom of God? From what I have read on the website you have up, the Kingdom of God is a governing body of citizens of various religious affiliations and beliefs. A political kingdom to offer refuge from other failed governments. It is from this basis that, from your claims and statements, the kingdom of God is of a political nature that men ought to implement at some point.

I disagree with this. Simply because Scripture has already defined what the Kingdom of God is. And that definition is not a governing body of fifty men in a council. It is not a political form of government.

To understand this, we go to the preaching of John the Baptist.

In those days, came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. {Matthew 3:1-2, KJV LDS Edition}

Jesus Christ himself began his ministry - according to Matthew 4:17 - with the same statement John the Baptist made: From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

In the Lord's Prayer, Matthew 6:10, Christ says this: Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. {see also Luke 11:2} What is even more interesting is what Christ is recorded to have said the following:

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added tunto you. (Matthew 6:33, KJV LDS Edition}

When we read in the New Testament, Christ refers to the Kingdom of Heaven and/or Kingdom of God as being imminent.

Now, if we step back a little bit. The First Century Jews believed that the promised messiah would be a deliverer like that of Moses who came in and delivered the children of Israel from an oppressive nation. Their understanding of redemption would be a man who would come in and throw off the chains of the Roman Empire and bring Israel back into their land and restore the Davidic Kingdom their forefathers had once enjoyed. They were seeking after a political kingdom of God. Yet, Christ was not their messiah because he did not come to overthrow the chains of the Roman Empire, but he came to overthrow the chains of sin and death that hold people in bondage.

Thus, the Kingdom of God, according to Scripture and history, is not a political form of government but the Gospel itself. Those who are citizens are those who have a testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel. The Kingdom of God is already here on earth, just as much as it is in Heaven.

Thus, why I disagree with this, why I find this all so troubling. The Kingdom of God is not political but it is His Gospel truths, His gospel Principles, it is the Plan of Salvation for mankind and those who hold to the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ are already citizens of this great kingdom.

SeattleTruthSeeker it's clear you have a good understanding of the gospel and the scriptures. I understand your statement about the Kingdom of God. What you say it true the Kingdom of God does refer to the church. If we look at the writings of early church leaders(more specifically Joseph Smith) it we can see that the phrase "Kingdom of God" is used to describe the Church, God's Kingdom in the eternities, as well as some other meanings. In some cases it is also used to describe the political Kingdom of God.

The truth is Joseph Smith did indeed establich the Council of Fifty in 1844. The Official name of this government as revealed to Joseph Smith is: "The Kingdom of God and His Laws, with the Keys and power thereof, and judgment in the hands of his servants, Ahman Christ." The more official name of the Council was the Kingdom of God. However it was usually refered to as the Council of Fifty.

But the establishment of this Kingdom of God was in no way intended to replace or take authority in the religious Kingdom of God. There is a distinct seperation between the two Kingdoms. They both fulfill different roles. The religious Kingdom of God(and probably the more important) takes care of the salvation need of the people. The political Kingdom of God takes care of the legal needs of the people.

So I would agree with you that scripturally the phrase "Kingdom of God" refers to the religious organization. That would be the most common usage. However according to Joseph Smith and many other early church leaders the phrase "Kingdom of God" also means a political organization. An organization seperate from the church organization.

I usually make the distinction by saying "political Kingdom of God." But this concept is difficult to understand for most people. I know that when I first heard about it it took alot of study before I finally understood it.

I'm glad you took the time to go out and research it. And I agree with what you've said. I get the feeling, though, from your post that you feel a group claiming there is a political Kingdom of God would undermine the religious Kingdom of God. The political Kingdom of God is not a way into Heaven. The politcial Kingdom of God offers no means of salvation. The political Kingdom of God offers a form of government that is based on and upholds righteous principles. It's laws are based on God's will, not on the will of unrighteous politicians.

Hopefully some of my ramblings have helped out. Here's a good reference that should help you out in your studies: "It Seems Like Heaven Began on Earth"

I have a few questions I have read your website and I am very unnerved - the Council of Fifty held its last recorded meeting in 1884.

1) Does this have the support of our church leaders?

2) Shouldn't the First Presidency be the ones to even start intiating something like this?

3) Are you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? or a splinter group?

I am sorry but this makes me very uneasy it seems to be something that only the President of the Church should spearhead. The only other group to resurrect it in the past is a polygamist state.

-Charley

I have a few questions I have read your website and I am very unnerved - the Council of Fifty held its last recorded meeting in 1884.

1) Does this have the support of our church leaders?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has currently made no comment concerning the Nation of Deseret.

2) Shouldn't the First Presidency be the ones to even start intiating something like this?

The original Council of Fifty was started by Joseph Smith. The restored Gospel was necessary to establish the foundation of the political Kingdom of God. It is also clear from statements made by many Council members, including Joseph Smith, and Brigham Young, that the Council of Fifty(political Kingdom of God) is not a church organization. The Church has no authority over the political Kingdom. On that same not the political Kingdom for God had no authority in the Church. The Council of Fifty was meant to have members not only from the CJCLDS, but from many other religions. If I may reference a quote from earlier(emphasis added):

"They were told that the Council of Fifty was not a church organization, but was composed of members irrespective of their religious faith, ... and that the organization of the church belonged to the priesthood alone."

(HC 7;213)

The consent of the CJCLDS is not required for the functioning of the political Kingdom of God, because they are their own separate organizations. One covers political and legal matters, the other covers matters of salvation. Having said that(and I didn't mean to make it sound like the Church is unimportant), I think that since God is the primary author and leader of both organizations, they would naturally move in the same direction.

3) Are you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? or a splinter group?

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I am sorry but this makes me very uneasy it seems to be something that only the President of the Church should spearhead. The only other group to resurrect it in the past is a polygamist state.

-Charley

I certainly understand your concerns. But bear in mind that the President of the Church is just that, the President of the Church. He has all authority relating to the operation of the Church and the spiritual welfare of the Earth. But he doesn't have the civil(political) authority to do things such as: arrest people, pass civil laws, etc.

Of course if it's God's will that the President of the Church would lead this movement then it will happen. If it's God's will that the leaders we currently have will lead us then that will happen. Whatever is God's will is what will come to pass. Maybe the purpose of our movement is not to be the Millennial government only to prepare the way for the actual Millennial government. I'm not sure what the future will hold, but what I do know is that God's will is what will come to pass.

I've heard of a smiliar group called something like the Nations of Israel or something. I've been unable to find any references on it.

We really need a new Govt!

I came across 19 videos that play one after the other automatically that will open eyes to OUR Govt. Don't make any decision until you have veiwed all 19. Keep an open mind.. look at what you see.. and then decide. Maybe you could even apply Moroni's challange here.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask• God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true•; and if ye shall ask with a sincere• heart, with real• intent, having faith• in Christ, he will manifest• the truth• of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know• the truth• of all things.

Not all things spiritual.. but.. ALL Things!

************************************** YouTube - 9/11 Coincidences (Part One)*******************

Revelation 12:

1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

There is no need for a separate organization for political means. Every one knows the woman spoken of here is the Church of God. It plays off the analogy of Christ being the Bridegroom. Many people think this man child is Christ. But, Christ was not born of the Church, nor can someone give birth to themselves, since Christ is also one of the parents of this man-child. This man child is the Kingdom of God, which is the government that will rule all nations with the Word of God (iron rod).

This change will come instantly when Christ come again. This government body, if you will, is already set up all over the world, right down to the local level. Think of your Bishop as a Mayor and your Stake PResident as a Governor. All Christ has to do is flip the switch when He comes and POW, insta-governement.

Couple of questions, seeing as you're heading up this effort, from what I can tell

Ok, this Nation of Deseret, is it a Sovereign Nation?

On the site, a section found at Nation of Deseret: Online Government Interface makes the suggestion that if you are unhappy with the choicesmade by the majority of Americans, AND the Electoral College, then you should become a citizen of the nation of Deseret. If you are not a Sovereign Nation, how is this possible?

I did a quick lookup, just tools I'm used to using in my work. Your website (Domain Name) was registered on 15 October 2008, throug a cut-rate domain name registrar, (Nothing wrong with that, but you don't actually own your domain name), you take donations via paypal,and are using cafepress to do your screen printing/embroidery work. All these hint at someone with limited financial resources, or not putting in a lot of investment. I do not believe you have the inclination, financial capacity, manpower, or even the support of Heavenly Father required to pull this off. I fear for those who would follow, that they will find themselves in a situation not dissimilar to the Branch Davidians in Texas, rather than those in the Georgian regions of Russia.

Couple of questions, seeing as you're heading up this effort, from what I can tell

Well I'm not the leader of this effort. But I'm the only one involved in this effort on this website.

Ok, this Nation of Deseret, is it a Sovereign Nation?

That is the goal. But due to current levels of recognition any citizen would still have regular interation with the American Government.

On the site, a section found at Nation of Deseret: Online Government Interface makes the suggestion that if you are unhappy with the choicesmade by the majority of Americans, AND the Electoral College, then you should become a citizen of the nation of Deseret. If you are not a Sovereign Nation, how is this possible?

We should be more accuratly looked at as a government in exile. It is our goal that through recognition and citizenship efforts we can become recognized officially by other nations and the local population as the official government of our territory.

Our website suggest that if you are unhappy with the way things are currently going in the government, then the Nation of Deseret may be a good alternative for you.

I did a quick lookup, just tools I'm used to using in my work. Your website (Domain Name) was registered on 15 October 2008, throug a cut-rate domain name registrar, (Nothing wrong with that, but you don't actually own your domain name), you take donations via paypal,and are using cafepress to do your screen printing/embroidery work. All these hint at someone with limited financial resources, or not putting in a lot of investment.

You are correct. As with the beginings of any other movement we have very limited financial resources at this time.

I do not believe you have the inclination, financial capacity, manpower,

That is why we are offering citizenship and accepting donations. The success of this Nation does not depend on how much of an internet presence we have. It depends on the actual people who wish to be involved. It's up to the people to accept us. Without their acceptance this nation will never be successful, unless...

or even the support of Heavenly Father required to pull this off.

...we have the support of Heavenly father. With Heavenly Father all things are possible. But this is something each person must judge for themselves. They must seek out Heavenly Father to know his will.

I fear for those who would follow, that they will find themselves in a situation not dissimilar to the Branch Davidians in Texas, rather than those in the Georgian regions of Russia.

I am well aware of the history of the Branch Davidians. I'm sure our leaders are aware of it as well. As far as my knowledge is correct they are seeking Heavenly Father's guidance to avoid that path.

I was recruited by the Council of Fifty to build the website. I hope you like it, if not the content then at least the design.

Please tell us more about this "Council of Fifty" and how you were "recruited". Are there actually 50 people on that council right now? If so, how many are active LDS? Why did they pick you to build their public website? Are you too one of the fifty?

deseretgov: I think this thread is a good opportunity for you to promote your group and its mission. Responding to my questions would help you build credibility. If you don't open up, in my opinion you are going to remain in the murky shadows with no hope of ever building your group among people who are accustomed to transparency and working in the light.

Tell us about your "Council of Fifty", or is that just something that is still in the planning stages? If what you are trying to do is still just something in your own mind and you've only begun exploring it by taking it public with your website, tell us. There's nothing wrong with starting something new as long as the founder/s doesn't/don't attempt to deceive others into thinking it's already a viable going concern. Telling us you were "recruited" by fifty mysterious people in my opinion is something that begs an explanation, unless it's the substance of fiction, in which case it should be identified as such.

I look forward to learning more about your venture, my guess is that it's a topic of interest to many members of this board.

deseretgov: I think this thread is a good opportunity for you to promote your group and its mission. Responding to my questions would help you build credibility. If you don't open up, in my opinion you are going to remain in the murky shadows with no hope of ever building your group among people who are accustomed to transparency and working in the light.

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm still here and happy to anser questions.

Tell us about your "Council of Fifty", or is that just something that is still in the planning stages?

It's just a few months out of the planning stages.

If what you are trying to do is still just something in your own mind and you've only begun exploring it by taking it public with your website, tell us. There's nothing wrong with starting something new as long as the founder/s doesn't/don't attempt to deceive others into thinking it's already a viable going concern.

I hope I haven't mislead anyone into thinking that the Nation of Deseret is already a huge movement. It's not. It only exists among a few people at the moment.

Telling us you were "recruited" by fifty mysterious people in my opinion is something that begs an explanation, unless it's the substance of fiction, in which case it should be identified as such.

I look forward to learning more about your venture, my guess is that it's a topic of interest to many members of this board.

Hopefully my answers to the questions below will illuminate the discussion.

Please tell us more about this "Council of Fifty" and how you were "recruited". Are there actually 50 people on that council right now?

No there are not. There are only three. One of the things I am doing referring those I think may be good members of the Council. There are a few members on this board I have identified that may make good members of the Council. I have yet to contact them or refer them to the Council.

If so, how many are active LDS?

Two of the three are active LDS.

Why did they pick you to build their public website?

I am friends with the Standing Chairman. And I know a little about making websites.

Are you too one of the fifty?

No, I am not one of the Council.

Hopefully that helped explain some things. I'm excited with the interest some people have shown in the movement. I think discussion is the most important thing at this stage.

I'm just new to the Church, but I think this is an idea worth looking at. I know I would love to live in the "State of Deseret", as Utah and much of the West used to be called.

Your website is inviting and looks professionally done, but you do need a proof-reader. On this page, "Recognition Movement", I found a couple errors in the text, Nation of Deseret: Online Government Interface

For example, you cannot say "not many people no of it", and be taken seriously.

Probably this is just a typing error, so you really do need a proof-reader. If I become a "citizen", I will volunteer!

Are the current members mostly in Utah? I live in Cottonwood Hgts.

Hope to learn more about this "Nation of Deseret" through this forum!

Edited by Bethie

I'm just new to the Church, but I think this is an idea worth looking at. I know I would love to live in the "State of Deseret", as Utah and much of the West used to be called.

Your website is inviting and looks professionally done, but you do need a proof-reader. On this page, "Recognition Movement", I found a couple errors in the text, Nation of Deseret: Online Government Interface

For example, you cannot say "not many people no of it", and be taken seriously.

Probably this is just a typing error, so you really do need a proof-reader.

Thank you from bringing that to my attention. I will correct them in my next update. There's always a few little spelling buggers the get past.

If I become a "citizen", I will volunteer!

You are more than welcome.

Are the current members mostly in Utah? I live in Cottonwood Hgts.

Most members live in Idaho. Our focus area is Idaho, Utah, Northern Arizona, and Eastern Nevada. But anyone from anywhere is welcome.

Hope to learn more about this "Nation of Deseret" through this forum!

I'll invite our Standing Chairman, hopefully we can have a good productive discussion.

Greetings, Deseretgov. I just have a couple questions dealing with this "Nation" here.

First, the Council of Fifty...is that reference to the council started by Joseph Smith in 1844, the one that is supposed to come in and maintain political stability after the world governments fail? If so, that leads me to the next question...

What exactly does the "founder" whoever he is, have in the way of qualifications? Why does he think he can do this, in other words, why does he think it is his job to act separately from the church to take on this "duty?"

Forgive me if I sound doubtful, but this whole thing seems odd to me.

There is something that bothers me about the view that there was some window of opportunity wherein the saints in Joseph Smith's time could have accomplished much more than they did, but they failed and thus this opportunity was lost. The notion is as if we are simply not responsible and we are now just waiting for another such window to open up.

I think we can open these windows up ourselves. We need to be building Zion now, not waiting for some new miracle to drop out of the sky to begin.

There is nothing stopping us from getting together and helping one another, from being of one heart and one mind, from seeing to it that there are no poor among us, from building up a socio-economic entity which frees us from the socio-economic bondage of the world.

We can do all of this right here and right now. We don't need to walk shoelessly behind a handcart to Jackson County Missouri as the moon falls from the sky and the sun turns to blood in order to accomplish it.

-a-train

Here...here. We lost some much more, to include additional doctrines, principles, mysteries of the kingdom, that was not given or may of slipped at a funeral, where the early saints would of stoned him. :lol: Some of which, we can learn for ourselves via the Holy Ghost or the Savior Himself but not for the church as a whole. :mad:

I'm all for it. Now, where's Enoch when you need him? :lol:

From Encyclopedia of Latter-day Saint History by Donald Q. Cannon, Richard O. Cowan, Arnold K. Garr

COUNCIL OF FIFTY.

On 7 April 1842 Joseph Smith received a revelation titled "The Kingdom of God and His Laws With the Keys and Power Thereof, and Judgement in the Hands of His Servants, Ahman Christ" (Quinn, 166-67), which called for the organization of a special council. This council, popularly known as the Council of Fifty because of its approximate number of members, was formally organized by Joseph Smith on 11 March 1844. Latter-day Saints believed that the gospel was restored, at least in part, to prepare the world for the second coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. The Council of Fifty, according to one historian, was designed "to bring about the political transformation of the world, just as the church was intended to change the world religiously" (Hansen, 11). Another historian wrote that "the primary role of the Council of Fifty was to symbolize the otherworldly world order that would be established during the millennial reign of Christ on earth" (Quinn, 163).

The Council of Fifty played a role in preparing some Latter-day Saint males to function as a sort of legislature in the Kingdom of God (Ehat, 260-61). A few non-Mormons were also invited to participate in the Council, symbolizing the millennial condition of members and nonmembers working together in harmony as Christ ruled as King of Kings.

Following the organization of the council, Joseph Smith told them that he had received its constitution by direct revelation. The Prophet was told, "Ye are my Constitution and I am your God and ye are my spokesmen" (quoted in Ehat, 259). In other words, God, through his prophet, would direct the Council of Fifty by means of revelation.

Several rules of procedure were adopted at a meeting held on 18 April 1844. For example, the president of the Church served as standing chairman of the council, and except for the chair, the members sat according to age. Decisions of the council had to be unanimous, and "no member [was] to be absent . . . unless sick or on Council business" (quoted in Ehat, 261).

Joseph Smith frequently taught council members the meaning of the Constitution of the United States and how it could be applied "to the Latter-day saints in the world and during the millennium" (Quinn, 164). Members of the council were also involved in Joseph Smith's presidential campaign, helped to direct affairs in Nauvoo, and assisted in planning the move west.

Following the murder of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young presided over the Council of Fifty and used it as the Saints moved west and settled in the Great Basin. John Taylor revitalized the Fifty, and they met annually during his administration so members could receive instruction regarding political matters (Quinn, 173). Since that time the Council of Fifty has not played an active role in Latter-day Saint history.

SOURCES

Clark, James R. "The Kingdom of God, the Council of Fifty, and the Star of Deseret." Utah Historical Quarterly 26 (April 1958): 130-48.

Ehat, Andrew F. "'It Seems Like Heaven Began on Earth': Joseph Smith and the Constitution of the Kingdom of God." BYU Studies 20 (Spring 1980): 253-79.

Hansen, Klaus J. Quest for Empire. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1967.

Quinn, D. Michael. "The Council of Fifty and Its Members, 1844 to 1945." BYU Studies 20 (Winter 1980): 163-97.

KENNETH W. GODFREY

Part -1

The Council of Fifty and Its Members,

1844 to 1945

by D. Michael Quinn 1

Since the mid-1950s, several articles, graduate theses, and books have examined the existence and supposed role of the "Council of Fifty" in Mormon history, so that by now the Council of fifty is within the general awareness of a large proportion of Latter-day saints as well as interested non-Mormons. Unfortunately, these writers did not have access to documents presently available; and, in some cases, they did not consult important sources then available. Because casual examination can make anything appear monstrous under the academic microscope, scholarly studies of the Council of Fifty thus far have tended to distort insufficient evidence and sometimes to sensationalize their interpretations. 2 Current research into the documents and historical environment of the Council of Fifty requires a rewriting of these scholarly and highly popular interpretations rather than a rewriting of Mormon history in light of these previous interpretations of the Council of Fifty.

The primary role of the Council of Fifty was to symbolize the otherworldly world order that would be established during the millennial reign of Christ on earth. Aside from its symbolic value, the singular importance of the Council of Fifty is that it reveals Joseph Smith, Jr., as Mormonism's greatest Constitutionalist. The 1844 minutes of the Council contain hundreds of pages of the Prophet's teachings about the meaning of the U.S. Constitution and the application of that document to the Latter-day saints in the world and during the Millennium.

The secondary role of the Council of Fifty involved its literal, practical functions. The Council of Fifty was only infrequently active throughout it history, and LDS Church leadership dominated and directed it when it was active. The Council was not a challenge to the existing system of law and government but functioned in roles familiar to American political science; special interest lobby, caucus, local political machine, and private organization governed by parliamentary procedures. Because LDS leaders did not regard the Council of Fifty as subversive of American institutions, its existence was common knowledge among the Latter-day Saints as long as it functioned, and its deliberations were no more secret than were those of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. As a non-revolutionary political instrument, the Council of Fifty held it final meeting in 1884, but the organization continued to survive technically until the last of its members died in 1945.

Establishment

Among several historical questions about the Council of Fifty is the matter of dating its establishment. A different date for its organization is provided by each of four reputable original sources--7 April 1842; 10, 11, and 13 March 1844--primarily because each source considered a different event as marking the Council's origin. Each of these dates has significance in the establishment of the Council of Fifty.

The minutes of the Council for 10 April 1880 state that "it was organized by the Lord. April 7th 1842." They further indicate that this was the date of the revelation to Joseph Smith which provided the name and mission of the organization. 3 Dating the organization of the Council of Fifty in terms of the revelation and not when Joseph Smith acted upon the revelation thus fulfills the prophecy of Daniel that the Kingdom of God was a rock cut out of the mountain without hands (Dan. 2:44-45). LDS leaders often cited the Daniel passage when they spoke of the organization of the latter-day Kingdom of God. 4 At present, no document has surfaced that explains why Joseph Smith waited two years to give temporal fulfillment to that which "was organized by the Lord. April 7th 1842," but the 1842 date stands as the divine establishment.

When it comes to the temporal establishment, Wilford Woodruff and Franklin D. Richards state that Joseph Smith organized the Council of Fifty on 10 March 1844. 5 On that date, Joseph Smith read two letters from Lyman Wight, George Miller, and their associates, who were on a mission in Wisconsin to obtain lumber to build the Nauvoo House and the Nauvoo Temple in Illinois. Lyman Wight complained that the U.S. Indian agent was using his legal powers to prevent the Latter-day Saints from dealing with the Indians who allowed the Mormons to obtain lumber from Indian lands. Elder Wight asked the First Presidency to let his group go with the Indians to the Republic of Texas where they would be free from U.S. laws and could establish a gathering place. 6

Joseph Smith's handwritten journal for 10 March 1844 indicates how a 4:30 P.M. meeting of a few associates at the Nauvoo Mansion to discuss these letters was the starting point for the organization of the Council of Fifty:

Joseph asked., can this council keep what I say. not make it

Public--all held up their [sic] hands. [one blank line]

Copy the constitution of the U.S.

hands of a select committee [one blank line]

No law can be enacted but what every man can be protected from.

The meeting adjourned and reconvened at 7 P.M. in the assembly room above Joseph Smith's store where he had introduced the endowment ceremonies in May 1842, and where he now met "in council" with these men and "enjoined perfect secrecy of them." 7

Joseph Smith may not have planned to organize a special council on this occasion, but in the process of this day's meetings the Prophet made a provisional organization, as indicated by the facts that one of those in attendance, John Phelps, was not among those formally admitted to the Council of Fifty after 10 March 1844 and that Willard Richards remained provisional chairman only three days. 8

The Manuscript History of the Church, the published History of the Church, and the journals of William Clayton and Joseph Fielding all state that the Council of Fifty was organized on 11 March 1844. 9 Because this is the date when Joseph Smith first formally admitted men to membership in the organization that became the Council of Fifty, scholars have most often used 11 March 1844 as the organization date. This practice is appropriate as long as it is recognized why members of the Council of Fifty sometimes also identified the establishment of the Council with the other dates under discussion here.

Brigham Young's handwritten journal and manuscript history state that the organization occurred on 13 March 1844. 10 On this occasion Joseph Smith was chosen the "standing chairman" of the Council of Fifty, replacing the provisional chairman Willard Richards. 11 From this date onward, the President of the Church was always the standing chairman of the Council of Fifty. In view of Brigham Young's emphasis on the primacy of the LDS President, it is natural that he would stress 13 March 1844 as the date of establishment.

Names

Original documents not only assign various dates of establishment but also designate this special organization by a variety of names. The specific names must be known in order to identify the Council of Fifty and to avoid assuming that every oblique reference to "council" applies to the Council of Fifty. In a revelation presented by John Taylor to the Council of Fifty on 27 June 1882, as well as in the minutes of the 10 April 1880 meeting of the Council of Fifty and in the journals of William Clayton, Franklin D. Richards, and Joseph F. Smith, the official, revealed name of the Council of Fifty is "The Kingdom of God and His Laws with the Keys and[Power thereof, and Judgment in the Hands of His Servants, Ahman Christ." 12

This name was too complex to be easily remembered or written, and so this organization had a wide assortment of shorter designations. Sticking closely to the revealed name, Heber C. Kimball and John Henry Smith called it "The Kingdom of God." 13 In a briefer reference to the full name, Joseph Smith, Willard Richards, and Heber C. Kimball mentioned it as "The Kingdom," 14 and Heber C. Kimball sometimes called it simply "The K." 15 After referring to it three times as "Special Council," the Manuscript History of the Church and the published History of the Church henceforth called it "the General Council." 16 George Miller and Franklin D. Richards designated it "Council of the Kingdom," whereas William Clayton expanded that to "the council of the Kingdom of God." 17 Joseph Fielding in 1844 called it the "Grand Council," whereas Lyman Wight in 1848 described it as the "Grand Council of the Kingdom of God," "Grand Council of God," and "Grand Council of Heaven." 18 John D. Lee exuberantly called it "councils of the Gods," whereas Daniel Spencer and Robert T. Burton obliquely listed it as "Council of --." 19 In 1849 men like Joseph Fielding, Horace S. Eldredge, and John D. Lee called it "Legislative Council" but dropped that name in 1850 when Congress created Utah Territory with a civil legislature in which the upper house was called the Legislative Council. 20 John D. Lee also described it as "Municipal department of the Kingdom of God," which Brigham Young, Jr., echoed later as "Church municipal board." 21

The identity of the Council of Fifty with the church was emphasized when Wilford Woodruff, Hosea Stout, and the Manuscript History of the Church called it "Council of Elders" and when Robert T. Burton called it "Council of the Presiding Authorities of the Church." 22 Orson Hyde more clearly stated this Church identity when he addressed a letter to the Council of Fifty on 25 April 1844 as "the Council of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." 23 Also, the Council of Fifty sometimes carried the name of the Church President: "Joseph Smith's Council," "President Young's Council," or "President Taylor's Council." 24

Because Joseph Smith admitted more than fifty men to his special council in the spring of 1844, most members called it Council of Fifty. Even this name had several variations: Brigham Young referred to it as "the fifty," Shadrach Roundy called it "council of fifties," Charles C. Rich wrote it as "council of ft," Franklin D. Richards sometimes wrote it as "Council of 50--Kingdom," Willard Richards and John D. Lee spelled fifty backwards and rendered it "Council of YTFIF," Joseph F. Smith used the Roman numeral for fifty and wrote "Council of L," George Miller called it "council of fifty princes of the kingdom," whereas Willard Richards, Phinehas Richards, and David Fullmer designated it "The Quorum of 50." 25

One additional name for the Council of Fifty deserves separate consideration. Its members also called the Council of Fifty the "Living Constitution" or "Council of the Living Constitution." 26 Some writers have confused this with the name of the fifteen trustees of the Mercantile and Mechanical association of Nauvoo who were presented in a public meeting on 31 January 1845 as the "Living Constitution" of that association. 27 The two "Living Constitutions" were as distinct as their separate organization dates. Although eight members of this business "Living Constitution," were already members of the Council of Fifty's "Living Constitution," two others were never members of the Council of Fifty, and five other members of this 1845 business "Living Constitution" did not join the Council of Fifty until from one month to (in one case) twenty-two years later. 28

Council members Peter Haws, Erastus Snow, and George Q. Cannon explained why the Council of Fifty had the title "Living Constitution." Joseph Smith asked the Council to write a constitution for the Kingdom of God. After a week of unsuccessful effort, Joseph Smith delivered a revelation to the Council of Fifty that stated: "Ye are my constitution." 29 In this view, the latter-day Kingdom of God transcended the confines of a single, written document, and the Kingdom conducted itself according to the words and acts of inspired men. A revelation to the Council of Fifty on 27 June 1882 reaffirmed that "Ye are my Constitution, and I am your God." 30 The designation of the Council as "Living Constitution" has special significance in a later discussion of the subordination of the Council of Fifty to the Church's First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. 31

Purposes

Authors often cite the History of the Church to describe the purposes of the Council Fifty. 32 But the revelation of 27 June 1882 gives a more comprehensive statement of the Council's purpose:

Thus saith the Lord God who rules in the heavens above and in the earth beneath, I have introduced my Kingdom and my Government, even the Kingdom of God, that my servants have heretofore prophesied of and that I taught my disciples to pray for, saying "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven," for the protection of my Church, and for the maintenance, promulgation and protection of civil and religious liberty in this nation and throughout the world; and all men of every nation, color and creed shall yet be protected and shielded thereby; and every nation and kndred, and people, and tongue shall yet bow the knee to me, and acknowledge me to be Ahman Christ, to the glory of God the Father. 33

This expansive mission of the Council of Fifty was referred to by members Benjamin F. Johnson and John D. Lee, in often-quoted statements. 34

After a virtual silence in traditional LDS histories about the role of the Council of Fifty in Nauvoo and Utah history, the writers of the 1950s and 1960s concluded with increasing enthusiasm that the Council of Fifty was actually the dynamic agent of Mormon history from 1844 to the 1880s. In 1958 James R. Clark stated that "the Council of Fifty or General Council was the policy-making body for the civil government of Utah from 1848 to 1870, if not later." 35 Then Jan Shipps observed in 1965 that "the Council of Fifty was as important, if not more so, in building the temporal Kingdom than the Council of the Twelve Apostels." 36 And in 1967 Klaus J. Hansen concluded that "without the existence and activities of the Council of Fifty, which contributed significantly to the building of the Rocky Mountain kingdom, Mormonism might well have failed to enjoy its present stature and prestige within the framework of accepted American religious values and persuasions." 37 Those conclusions can no longer be supported now that current research demonstrates that the Council of Fifty was most often not functioning and was only a symbolic formality when it was functioning.

Part-2

activity

two parliamentary rules governed the council of fifty: It could convene only when it had a quorum (fifty percent of membership) in attendance, and it existed officially only when it convened to conduct business. Thus, the council of fifty had only a technical, non-functioning existence when its members did not meet with or report to convened sessions of the council.

Although the murder of joseph smith and other mob actions threatened the existence of both the church and civil order at nauvoo, william clayton recorded that the council of fifty met on 4 february 1845 for the first time since the death of the prophet the previous june. 38 during these critical months, the quorum of twelve apostles acted virtually alone in stabilizing nauvoo's religious and civil society. From 1 march through may 1845, the council of fifty convened nearly every week to respond to current crises and to plan for the westward movement. After may 1845 the council met sporadically until its final pre-exodus meetings in the nauvoo temple on 11, 13, and 18 january 1846.

For nearly three years after january 1846, the council of fifty had few meetings because its members were widely scattered during the pioneer exodus, making it difficult to obtain a quorum for meetings. For example, apostle john e. Page, a member of the council, was dropped from church office and disfellowshipped in february 1846 and was excommunicated from the church in june 1846. Even though council of fifty members regarded john e. Page as a traitor to both the church and the kingdom, it was not until 12 november 1846 that a quorum (twenty-six members) of the council of fifty could convene to drop him from the council. 39

the council of fifty did not meet regularly again until december 1848 and therefore exerted minimal direction of the mormon pioneer exodus. An examination of the attendance at the scores of "council" meetings which supervised the pioneer exodus from february 1846 to december 1848 shows a consistent pattern: The apostles summoned these pioneer "council" meetings and invited members as well as non-members of the council of fifty to participate at the direction of the apostles. 40 the inclusion of non-members of the council of fifty actually diminished the status of council members who regarded the exodus as their primary mission. This situation undoubtedly was what prompted george miller's sarcastic comment in 1855 that the council of fifty [in 1846-1847] "swelled to a great crowd under brigham's reign." 41 miller's disgruntled remark certainly did not describe an actual enlargement of the council. Although brigham young's additions to the council of fifty increased its membership to a temporary high of sixty men in 1845, deaths and disaffections soon reduced the membership to the mid-fifties level established by joseph smith. President brigham young convened the council of fifty occasionally during the pioneer exodus of 1846-1848, but the consistent supervision of the exodus was provided by members of the quorum of the twelve apostles, to which other members of the council of fifty were subordinate.

After an initial flurry of activity from 1848 to 1850 in utah, the council of fifty became a virtual relic during the remainder of brigham young's leadership. It met weekly from december 1848 through the end of 1849 to provide the foundation for utah's civil government. The council did not convene again until 21 august 1851. One comment during the 1851 meetings demonstrates that the council of fifty had ceased to function while it was unconvened during this year-and-a-half period: "s. Roundy, was appointed on a mission east two years ago and never made any report, if they want it he is ready to make a report." 42 the council of fifty met periodically until 4 october 1851, when most members seemed to lose interest: "oct. 4. 1851 10 1/2 a.m. Nine persons only having met--on motion adjourned to 1 p.m. 1 p.m. Again met--roll called--not a quorum--on motion adjourned to the call of the president." 43 brigham young showed as little interest in calling another meeting for the council of fifty as its members had shown for attending its last meeting in 1851. He did not bother to reconvene the council for more than fifteen years.

When the council of fifty met on 23 january 1867 for the first time "since the last meeting of the council on the 4th. October 1851," brigham young gave council members no encouragement about the importance of their role.["[h]e was not aware of any particular business to be brought before the council, further than to meet and renew our acquaintance with each other in this capacity. Had no doubt but brethren had often inquired in their own minds when the council would again be called together." 44 the council of fifty met only eight times from this date until 9 october 1868, when it met and voted to establish zion's co-operative mercantile institution (zcmi). The council of fifty apparently conducted no other substantive business during the 1867-1868 period but occupied itself primarily with the admission of new members to fill vacancies. 45 interest in these perfunctory meetings of the council was so low that on 4 april 1868 the "council of fifty met this p.m., but few attended consequently it was turned into a testimony meeting for a short season." 46 brigham young tired of the council of fifty and ignored it after october 1868.

His successor, john taylor, revitalized the council of fifty by reconvening it on 10 april 1880 for the first time "since last met, in oct. 68." 47 under president taylor's direction, the council assembled for five consecutive years, a record of activity for the council unequalled since 1849.

Nevertheless, the council of fifty met only infrequently in the 1880s: Five days in 1880, four days in 1881, ten days in 1882, ten days in 1883, and four days in 1884. 48 it was indeed functioning in "regular" meetings during the 1880s, but the council of fifty convened less than any other civil or religious body in utah during the period.

Those who have regarded the council of fifty as the central policy-making body for mormon theocracy from 1844 to the 1880s must reckon with the periods in which the council never convened or conducted business. Amid the tumult at nauvoo, the council of fifty did not meet from june 1844 to february 1845, even though most of its members had returned to the city by august 1844. During the pioneer exodus, it rarely met and its members simply joined with other trusted mormons in ad hoc meetings convened and directed by the apostles. From 1850 to 1880, the council of fifty met on fewer than twenty days, despite the fact that utah and the church had a very active political and economic life during those thirty years. Finally, in the early 1880s when the u.s. Government was beginning its campaign against mormon theocracy, john taylor resurrected the council of fifty to meet on only thirty-three days during a four-year period. The evidence of official meeting dates alone argues for the insignificance of the council of fifty in practical terms, rather than for its awesome influence as suggested by earlier writers. Instead of the council of fifty, it was the council of the first presidency and the quorum of the twelve apostles that provided continuous leadership for the mormons in religious, economic, political, and social matters.

supervision

without question, at certain times the council of fifty was centrally involved in extremely important activities of mormonism. It convened to discuss, approve, and carry out the 1844 campaign for joseph smith's presidential candidacy, the 1845 preparations at nauvoo for the westward exodus, the formation of civil government in utah in 1849, and the selection of candidates for public office in utah and the surrounding territories in the 1880s. Nevertheless, even when it was so actively involved, the council of fifty was actually under the supervision of the lds church leadership. At times, the council of fifty was even a rubber stamp for prior decisions of the first presidency and the quorum of the twelve apostles.

From the beginning, the lds presidency and apostles directed the council of fifty to predetermined ends. On 29 january 1844, the quorum of the twelve apostles nominated joseph smith for the u.s. Presidency and on 4 march nominated his vice-presidential running mate. After the council of fifty was formed in march 1844, that body simply repeated what had already been decided and continued the political campaign begun by the first presidency and the quorum of the twelve. 49 on 21 february 1844, joseph smith gave to the apostles the responsibility to plan an exodus into the american west, and they initially chose eight men to act as scouts. After the turmoil of the ill-fated presidential campaign and the succession crisis, the council of fifty decided on 1 march 1845 to select nine men to act as scouts for a new location in the far west, and the council of fifty "selected" nearly all of the eligible men originally chosen by the quorum of the twelve. 50 moreover, when twenty members of the council of fifty met for prayer with their wives in the nauvoo temple on 11 december 1845, brigham young asked only ten members of the group (seven apostles, two general bishops, and a clerk) to join him for a council about an urgent letter which warned then that the u.s. Government opposed the westward exodus of the mormons. Because the exodus from nauvoo was the primary concern of the council of fifty meetings in 1845, this exclusion of nine of its members from this crucial meeting is an important evidence of the subordination of the council of fifty to church authority at nauvoo. 51

the diminished role of the council of fifty from 1846 to 1848 angered council members who did not have the powerful status of the apostles during the mormon exodus. George miller complained: "when we arrived at winter quarters the council convened, but their deliberations amounted to nothing. But however, i was not wholly overlooked in their deliberations." 52

george miller's apostasy from the church in 1847 resulted from his dissatisfaction with the exclusion of the council of fifty from governing the pioneer exodus, and other subordinate members of the council of fifty soon followed that disaffection. When the high council in iowa tried peter haws and lucien woodworth in february 1849, haws "persisted that the fifty should be called together. He said had never been legally adjourned [sic] he said that brigham had pledged himself to carry out the measures of joseph and intimated that it had not been done and that twelve men had swallowed up thirty eight." and then, "elder g. A. Smith interrupted him by telling him that the fifty was nothing bu [sic] a debating school." 53 these crucial comments indicate how frustrated some council of fifty members felt toward the supremacy of the quorum of the twelve apostles, as well as underscore the attitude of the apostles toward the subordinate role of the council of fifty.

Even when president john taylor revitalized the council of fifty in the 1880s, he continued to maintain actual power in the first presidency and the quorum of the twelve apostles, and he allowed only symbolic power to the council. On 1 april 1880, the quorum of the twelve considered who should fill vacancies in the council of fifty. When the council reconvened on 10 april for the first time in nearly twelve years, the non-apostles members of the council of fifty had only a perfunctory role in selecting new members of the council: The day before the council met, the apostles notified the initiates to attend the meeting. 54 the most striking example of this rubber-stamp quality of the council of fifty occurred in october 1882.

The first presidency and quorum of the twelve discussed on 4 october who should be the candidate for utah's delegate to congress, and in the morning of 11 october 1882, the presidency and apostles voted that john t. Caine be the delegate. Three hours later, at the direction of the lds hierarchy, the council of fifty convened, discussed who should be the delegate to congress, "nominated" john t. Caine, and appointed a committee to inform the nominating committee of the church's political party, the people's party. 55

members of the council of fifty who were not in the first presidency or the quorum of the twelve were probably unaware of the extent to which those authorities manipulated meetings of the council of fifty so as to arrive at predetermined decisions. Therefore, the unsophisticated council members developed unrealistic views. It is no coincidence that the most effusive descriptions of the council of fifty's allegedly supreme role in the latter-day kingdom of god were written by john d. Lee, benjamin f. Johnson, george miller, and others who were not privy to orchestration of council of fifty meetings by the lds presidency and apostles. Even apostles lyman wight exaggerated the council of fifty's importance because his long absences from nauvoo during 1844 and 1845 prevented his seeing the extent to which the presidency and apostles constituted a shadow government behind the council of fifty's shadow government. These overly enthusiastic council of fifty members simply did not understand that the mormon hierarchy was supreme in both church and kingdom, and that it allowed no rival.

The council of fifty was prosaic rather than awesome. At the most practical level, the council of fifty was the "debating school" apostle george a. Smith called it in 1849. Buttressed by oaths of secrecy, the council of fifty provided a forum to give the church hierarchy different views on pressing questions of political, economic, and social significance for the latter-day saints. Undoubtedly, the presidency and apostles of the church did not prearrange all the deliberations and decisions of the council of fifty, but the opinions and recommendations of the presidency and apostles carried conclusive weight in the discussions of the council of fifty.

The council of fifty also provided three dozen reliable men to carry out the political and economic programs of the first presidency and the quorum of the twelve apostles, who simply "honored" individual council of fifty members with positions of public prominence but did not allow the council itself to rival the mormon hierarchy's exercise of power.

The council of fifty had a minimal role in the actual exercise of political power but served as an important symbol of the unattained ideal of a democratically functioning kingdom of god. Like its economic counterpart, the united order of enoch and law of consecration, the council of fifty required greater perfection in the saints than existed during the years of mormon isolation in the great basin of the american west. Created according to the uncompromising millennial context of divine revelation, the council had only a sporadic existence which was compromised by the imperfections of its members for whom power and prestige became ends in themselves. Those who most successfully fulfilled their role in the council of fifty recognized it as a symbol of what could and would transpire when the hearts of a sinful world and imperfect church members turned sufficiently to christ the king. 56 those who were least successful in that trust were the men who accepted that symbol in literal terms and thereby became discouraged and bitter at the disparity. In like manner, the greatest weakness of the "kingdom school" among recent interpreters of mormon history lies in the confusion of symbol and substance, in the failure to separate the temporal realities of the mormon kingdom of god from its unachieved millennial anticipations.

membership

admission to the council of fifty came in three stages, which could occur on one day or on three separate days--a man's name was proposed (most often by the lds president as standing chairman of the council), and then voted on, and then the man was formally initiated into the council. On the day of their admission, new members affirmed that they were in fellowship with all other council members, and then an officer or the council of fifty proceeded in "giving them the 'charge,' 'the name,' & 'key word,' and the 'constitution,' and 'penalty.'" 57 once admitted, men remained members of the council of fifty for life, unless they were dropped by the council for disaffection. Not until 1882 did the council add the option of release due to old age and disability. 58

the specific membership of the council of fifty has been another area in which there has been inaccuracy. Part of the problem arose when historians identified men as members on the basis of attendance at "council" meeting that were not meetings of the council of fifty. Even some members of the council made misstatements about its membership when they sought to remember back thirty to sixty years: John d. Lee erroneously indicated that joseph h. Jackson was admitted to the council of fifty, and benjamin f. Johnson mistakenly claimed that sidney rigdon, william marks, and members of the nauvoo high council were not members of the council of fifty. 59

moreover, the general silence about membership of the council of fifty in utah has allowed rampant speculation and rumor. However, it is now possible to compare abundant diaries and other sources on the council of fifty in order to establish the exact dates of admission or at least the periods of service for all members of the council throughout its history.

The first evident characteristic of the council of fifty's membership is the extent to which church office was important. From 1844 to 1884 the council of fifty included every contemporary member of the first presidency except the disaffected william law, every member of the quorum of the twelve apostles, every presiding patriarch except john smith (b. 1832, son of hyrum smith), every member of the presiding bishopric except jesse c.

Little, and more than forty-four percent of the first council of the seventy. 60 of local officers during the period, forty-eight percent of the stake presidents and a much smaller percentage of the ward bishops were members of the council of fifty during their ecclesiastical service in these positions. This church identity of members of the council of fifty was mentioned in an 1882 revelation:

Behold you are my kingdom and rulers in my kingdom and then you are also, many of you, rulers in my church according to your ordinations therein. For are you not of the first presidency, and of the twelve apostles and some presidents of stakes, and some bishops, and some high priests and some seventies and elders therein? And are ye not all of my church and belong to my holy priesthood? 61

Part-3

after the exodus from nauvoo, recently appointed general authorities filled vacancies in the council of fifty. 62 president john taylor also admitted francis m. Lyman, john henry smith, george teasdale, and heber j. Grant to the council of fifty in apparent anticipation of his calling these men to the quorum of the twelve apostles within a few months. This is all consistent with the previous discussion of the subordination of the kingdom to the church and with brigham young's comment in 1855 that it was the lds church that produced the government of the kingdom of god. 63

the published "history of brigham young" stated that several members of the original 1844 council of fifty "were not members of the church." 64 this led historian klaus j. Hansen to suggest plausibly (but inaccurately) that daniel h. Wells was a member of the council while he was a non-mormon at nauvoo and that thomas l. Kane later became a friendly non-mormon member of the council during or after the exodus to utah. 65 moreover, mormon schismatic lorin c. Woolley circulated the wild claim that u.s.

Presidents theodore roosevelt and calvin coolidge were members of the council of fifty. 66 in reality, joseph smith admitted to the council only three non-mormons, all of whom were dropped from the council on 4 february 1845, after which date the lds leadership excluded non-mormons from the council of fifty. 67

the least is known about the youngest of the three non-mormons, marenus g. Eaton. He was thirty-two years old when he entered the council of fifty, an honor that the prophet may have conferred on him when he disclosed on 27 march 1844 the conspiracy against joseph smith by dissenters at nauvoo. Although marenus g. Eaton was among the proposed defense witnesses for joseph smith in june 1844, after the martyrdom he was no longer of service to the mormons. The state of new york on 5 september 1844 filed a requisition with the state of illinois to arrest him for counterfeiting, and it may have been for this personal disability that the council of fifty dropped marenus g. Eaton on 4 february 1845. 68

edward bonney's brother was a mormon, but edward at age thirty-six apparently was still a non-mormon when joseph smith admitted him to the council of fifty. Edward bonney is referred to several times in the history of the church as a supporter of joseph smith during the difficulties of may-june 1844, but he broke with the mormons over the destruction of the nauvoo expositor. When the city of nauvoo tried and discharged joseph smith on 17 june 1844 for the destruction of the press, edward bonney acted as prosecutor and seems to have been in earnest because he later referred to the dismissal of joseph smith by the nauvoo court as a "mock administration of law." at any rate, in 1845 he moved to montrose, iowa, became a bounty-hunter of criminals, and in 1850 published the banditti of the prairies with its unfavorable view of the nauvoo mormons. 69 since the council of fifty dropped him before he left nauvoo, disaffection was undoubtedly the reason for the council's action in bonney's case.

The third non-mormon in the council of fifty, uriah brown, had the longest association with the mormons. He had been a friend and confidant of joseph smith since 1842. Soon after entering the council of fifty at the age of fifty-nine, uriah brown served as chairman of the political convention at nauvoo that nominated joseph smith as candidate for the u.s. Presidency. Like eaton and bonney, he was dropped from the council of fifty on 4 february 1845, but the action in brown's case may have been taken only because he had moved away from nauvoo and was therefore of less value to the mormons. A letter from uriah brown to brigham young on 3 november 1845 indicates that joseph smith's interest in brown centered in his invention of destructive weapons that could be used to defend nauvoo. In this letter uriah brown expressed continued interest in the mormon situation and offered to give brigham young the secret of the weapon "for such just & equitable sum, as it may, perhaps, be in your power to dispose." whether brigham young answered the 1845 letter is not clear, but uriah brown was in salt lake city in 1851. The council of fifty on 25 august 1851 considered readmitting him to the council and investigating the purchase of his "invention of liquid fire to destroy an army or navy," but when uriah brown became too insistent and impatient, the council tabled the matter on 13 september 1851. 70 there had been no non-mormons in the council of fifty since 1845, and this brief reconsideration in 1851 was the only other instance in which non-mormon participation became an issue for the infrequently meeting council of fifty.

Earlier investigators have emphasized the active role of council members in political office, but these researchers have not commented on significant disparities in that public service. 71 first of all, more than seventeen percent of the total membership of the council of fifty have no discoverable record of public office. In part this can be accounted for by men who left the church (and thereby the council of fifty) prior to the settlement of utah. Yet even in utah, where political office was abundant for mormons, the following council members apparently held no civil office: Abraham h. Cannon, amos fielding, george f. Gibbs, george d. Grant, charles s. Kimball, david p. Kimball, and seymour b. Young. In addition, levi richards held no civil office in utah even though he had in nauvoo, and joseph fielding, philip b. Lewis, and john young held civil office only in the legislature of the provisional state of deseret (1849-1851) after which the three council members spent the last decades of their lives without civil office.

The claim that the council of fifty was a channel to political power becomes even less convincing when one examines the lives of council members who held public office. Nearly sixty-three percent of the politically active members of the council of fifty at nauvoo and in utah began civil service before they entered the council, and some men served more than a decade in public office before entering. These men had loyally served the interests of the church in public office for years, and the council of fifty gave them no added political power nor did it alter their previous pattern of political devotion to the interests of mormonism as directed by the first presidency and the quorum of the twelve. Although the council of fifty introduced a minority of its members to political life, it seems obvious that for a much larger number of men their membership in the council came as an honorary reward for long service on behalf of the church and the kingdom in public office. For these reasons, tabulating the number of council of fifty members in governmental office gives a misleading impression of the council's political impact.

Although the religious history of some members of the council of fifty is sketchy, it appears that twenty-two percent of the lds members of the council had a serious (and usually permanent) break with the church. The rupture manifested itself through either excommunication, disfellowshipping, being dropped from church office, or going permanently inactive. After the church authorities disciplined a council of fifty member, the council usually dropped him at its next meeting. 72 for most of these men the problem seemed to be centered in the church itself--i.e., their loss of faith, violations of church rules of conduct, religious schism, or their unwillingness to follow the religious leadership of a new church president.

In several cases, however, the problem was centered in the council of fifty itself. Alpheus cutler, james emmett, peter haws, george miller, lyman wight, and lucien woodworth all felt that brigham young blocked their personal missions in the council of fifty, missions they claimed came from joseph smith. They did not agree that the council of fifty derived its authority from the church and was subject to church leadership and, therefore, dissented from the church in order to preserve what they felt were their missions in the kingdom of god. 73 by contrast, a couple of members of the council of fifty felt devotion to the church but found themselves in opposition to the kingdom of god to which they had been privately admitted. William marks as president of the nauvoo stake and moses thatcher of the quorum of the twelve apostles both manifested dissent against the same element of the latter-day kingdom of god: The anointing and ordination of the lds president as king, priest, and ruler on earth. 74 although these two disaffected groups within the council of fifty were divided into dissenters for the kingdom and dissenters against the kingdom, both had one thing in common: They accepted the role and rites of the kingdom of god in literal terms and did not perceive or accept the essentially symbolic nature of everything connected with the council of fifty. In view of what is now know about the council of fifty, the experiences of these men have a special pathos.

officers

within the organization of the council of fifty, there were committees, but most were temporary in nature and did not comprise any set number of committeemen. 75 there was, however, an executive committee within the council of fifty that consisted of seven members whenever it was formed. Alpheus cutler, who claimed to be a member of such a committee during the lifetime of joseph smith, called it the "quorum of seven." 76 although the functions of this committee are presently unclear, the published history of the church referred to its meeting of 14 april 1844: "committee of the council met in the afternoon at my office." 77 in 1882-1884, franklin d. Richards also reported the actions of a "committee of 7." 78 although the purposes of the 1844 executive committee are still uncertain, franklin d. Richards clearly described the committee of seven when it was established on 23 june 1882:

1842 sessions in council of the kingdom. Committees were appointed to see after election affairs in idaho territory in nevada state--and seven john sharp, wm. Jennings, w. Hooper, r.t. Burton, j.r. Winder, a.m. Cannon & moses thatcher--for an executive committee to meet the commissioners with lists of names from each county for registration of officers, judges of elections & any & all other duties. 79

since john taylor had reestablished the council of fifty more than two years prior to the date of the organization of this committee, it is obvious that the "quorum of seven" or "committee of seven" was not a permanent, self-perpetuating body in the kingdom of god. Moreover, in 1882 the committee of seven was a lobbying body for the church of a routine political nature and did not have any extraordinary religious or theocratic powers. 80

among the officers of the council of fifty were the recorder, historian, clerk, and reporters. Despite the name, the historian was actually the recorder of the council of fifty, and the terms were used interchangeably to describe the men who were responsible for the records of the council but who did not actually take the minutes of meetings. Willard richards was appointed historian--recorder of the council on 13 march 1844 and served until his death in 1854. 81 when the council of fifty next met on 23 january 1867, it admitted george q. Cannon and appointed him recorder. 82 the council did not convene after 1884 and therefore did not choose a recorder as successor to george q. Cannon after his death in 1901. William clayton, who was appointed clerk at the provisional meeting of 10 march 1884, was officially appointed "clerk of the kingdom" on 13 march 1844 and served to his death in 1879. 83 when the council of fifty reconvened on 10 april 1880, it elected l. John nuttall to be william clayton's successor as clerk of the kingdom. Nuttall also died without a successor. 84 whether or not there was a formal office of assistant clerk in the council of fifty prior to 1880 is unclear, but on 10 april 1880, president taylor's son william w. Taylor was elected assistant clerk and served until his death in 1884. 85 although the clerk of the kingdom was officially responsible for taking minutes of the council of fifty meetings, the council appointed "reporters" to keep minutes: At least as early as december 1848, thomas bullock and albert carrington took minutes in addition to william clayton who was the clerk of the kingdom. 86 due to thomas bullock's infirmities of age, john taylor appointed george f. Gibbs a reporter on 5 april 1882, even though the council did not admit elder gibbs as a member until 24 june 1882 when it released thomas bullock due to old age. 87 although the records of the council of fifty had been in the personal custody of william clayton as clerk of the kingdom in the 1840s, in utah the custody passed among various officers: In 1857 president brigham young had them in his personal custody and gave them to the church historian's office, by 1880 the recorder george q. Cannon had them locked in a box in utah and took the key with him wherever he went, and in 1884 the records were in the possession of reporter george f. Gibbs. 88

the senior administrative officer of the council of fifty was the standing chairman. Although willard richards served as temporary chairman at the provisional meeting on 10 march 1844, from 13 march 1844 onward the lds president was always standing chairman of the council of fifty. Joseph smith served as standing chairman in 1844, brigham young from 1845 to 1877 (although the council did not meet after 1868), and john taylor from 1880 to 1887 (although the council did not meet after 1884). 89 the president of the church as standing chairman of the council of fifty was not simply senior member of the council (where seniority was determined by age) but was its chief executive. Similar to a curia regis (king's council) in a monarchy, the council of fifty convened only at the request of its earthly sovereign, the president of the church, who was the standing chairman of the council. 90

this leads to the final office in the symbolic kingdom of god on earth as embodied in the council of fifty. William clayton recorded in his journal that in the 11 april 1844 meeting of the council of fifty, "was prest. Joseph chosen as our prophet priest, & king by hosannas." 91 william marks, who participated in this action, later stated that the council of fifty conducted this as an ordinance "in which joseph suffered himself to be ordained a king, to reign over the house of israel forever." 92 although it has been suggested that william mark's statements referred to conventional lds temple rites rather than to a theocratic ceremony, 93 the evidence does not support this objection. Aside from the contemporary account of william clayton and some reminiscent descriptions by william marks, the revelation to the council of fifty on 27 june 1882 also stated that god called joseph smith, jr., "to be a prophet, seer and revelator to my church and kingdom; and kingdom; and to be a king and ruler over israel." 94

when the council of fifty was reestablished in 1880, one of the items brought up was filling the theocratic office to which joseph smith had been anointed and ordained in nauvoo. That not all council members favored such an appointment is evidenced in george q. Cannon's note that the disaffection of apostle moses thatcher from the church began "when the council of fifty met in the old city hall [1880-1882], and moses opposed the proposition to anoint john taylor as prophet, priest and king, and moses's opposition prevailed at that time." 95 not until 1885, just days after the federal crusade against polygamy forced president john taylor into exile, was this ceremony performed for him. Franklin d. Richards, among others, described the event:

Wednesday feb 4 th 1885--

prests. John taylor & geo. Q. Cannon having been secluded since sunday evening word had been given to l. Snow, e. Snow f. D. Richards, a. Carrington, f. M. Lyman, h. J. Grant, john w. Taylor, to meet in council this evening--prests. W. Woodruff--george teasdale moses thatcher were oblivious to prevent arrest--b.y. [jr.] & j.h. Smith in n. York & europe--

soon after 8. P.m. Prests taylor & cannon met the seven of the 12 first named at[end[owment] house secretaries geo. Reynolds and l. John nuttall were present. After listening to some current items of news, president taylor stated the object of the council. Directed br nuttall to read a revelation which he said he received more than a year ago requiring him to be anointed & set apart as a king priest and ruler over israel on the earth--over zion & the kingdom of christ our king of kings. He also read some extracts from minutes of the council of the kingdom after which the president called for any remarks when several spoke their mind and f.m.l. Motioned that we proceed to obey the requirement of the revelation. When we clothed in our priestly attire. E snow offered prayer, when after the usual ceremony f.m. Lyman prayed in the circle. L. Snow consecrated a bottle of oil. Counselor cannon anointed president john taylor and we all laid hands on the prest. & geo. Q. Sealed the anointing according to a written form which had been prepared. 96

although only the first presidency, seven apostles, and two secretaries to the first presidency attended the meeting, they told enough people about this ceremony that the salt lake tribune soon reported that george q. Cannon had "assisted at the coronation of john taylor as king" of the mormon commonwealth. 97