Can anyone interpret???

bytor2112

This was in the Church Institute manual, "The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles".

"Divorce is not part of the gospel plan no matter what kind of marriage is involved. But because men in practice do not always live in harmony with gospel standards, the Lord permits divorce for one reason or another, depending upon the spiritual stability of the people involved. In ancient Israel men had power to divorce their wives for relatively insignificant reasons. (Duet. 24: 1-4) Under the most perfect conditions there would be no divorce permitted except where sex sin was involved. In this day the divorces are permitted in accordance with civil statutues, and the divorced persons are permitted by the Church to marry again without the stain of immorality which under a higher system would attend such a course."

McConkie, DNTC, 1:546-47

3Ne 12: 31-32

Matteus 5:32, 19:9

Here is more about that: Word Search: put away his wife

A good question Bytor!

To me that particular centance sounds like there is no other reason for a man to devorce than fornication from the wifes side.

If not so the case, so she and the man she marryes will commit adultery.

Interesting is that there is no mentioning about the woman puting away her husband :eek: I suppose it was not done then. People had not understood it to be possible back then.

I suppose you can change the places of the words woman and man there today too.

This subject is interesting for me too, since in fact it was I, who finalized the devorce, not my ex. So did I cause my DH to commit adultery by marrying him? Does the Temple marriage have anything to say about this? My ex was a non member and against the LDSChurch. He would never confess if he had done an adultery.

I just wonder ... to me it really sounds there really is not many reasons that allow devorce. Sometimes I wonder if we loose the higher state because of devorcing.... unless there is furnication from one side or an other!?

Ofcourse we can be forgiven, but it would not be right for those that stay together no mater what, with just one, if everyone who has changed partner a couple of times can get there too... :huh:

III Nephi Chapter 12, verse 32

Verily, verily, I say unto you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery; and whoso shall marry her who is divorced committeth adultery.

Interpertation: One's attitude about marriage and the way they treat their spouse will effect their eterrnal salvation.

The Traveler

In searching.. I found this explanation:

Here we have a scripture that has been greatly misunderstood and has caused much trouble in the world. Many religions have forbidden divorce because of these words of Jesus. Notice that Jesus said that the only justifiable cause of divorce is fornication. The prevalent belief among Christians is that fornication is sex between two unmarried persons or between two married people not married to each other. But here Jesus uses fornication as an act between married couples. Therefore, the meaning intended by Jesus is not the one attributed to the word by people of today.

Actually, fornication may not even involve sex, for in the context it is used throughout the Bible, it means "to be alienated from" or "to remove one's heart from". Thus, if the wife's heart is alienated from her husband, he may justifiably divorce her. God often called Israel his wife and when she committed fornication against Him and removed her heart from the true God and worshiped idols, she committed fornication against Him and He gave Israel, his wife, a bill of divorcement. Thus, it is with people. If their energies are not correctly matched and balanced, they commit fornication and become alienated and should get a divorce.

On the other hand, if the wife's heart is with her husband and the husband divorces a wife who is committed to him, he "causeth her to commit adultery". In other words, he causes her heart to forcibly seek someone else who may be at a wrong point of evolution. "And whosoever shall marry her that is divorced (wrongfully divorced) committeth adultery". If a man marries a woman whose heart is still with her original husband, an imbalance of energy is produced and this is what true adultery and fornication are. The words of Jesus have been used to cause pain in prolonging relationships that should have never been, actually point toward the common sense that humanity has adopted in modern times.

When one divorces frivolously, on a whim, or because of betrayal with another person, definite harm can come. It is generally recognized that a committed couple, especially with children should do everything in their power to rekindle their love and live together in peace.

MR Nitrom that was a very good quote! I really can understand the energy thing, so obvious. When I was newly married to my husband... as I hugged him I felt that I sucked some kind of pover from him. But things turned out on the way... and I have not got that feeling back and I miss it soooo much! The rightly tooned ia a good way of thinking it...

UH the forum changed its appearance just before I started this post.... :eek: Suddenly as i should answer all went black... then came the light reply box... had to go check the riality on fox as I am now on e... actually pretty cool outlook!:)

You have to understand this one in terms of what was going on at the time regarding marriage..."When a man has taken a wife, and married her, and it comes to pass that she finds no favor in his eyes, because he has found some unseemliness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorce, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house" (Deuteronomy 24:1)

So they did...some arguing that it was valid to do so according to the law for *any reason whatsoever*burning the bread etc. Divorce was commonplace at the time.

I think the thread of the conversation goes along the lines of Moses permitted it in Jewish law because of the hardness of hearts of the people.

Women could not initiate a divorce in those days...but they were given a bride price if their husbands divorced them for not being pleasing enough...matter of leaving home, any belongings, children and that was that...could happen to any wife at any time.