Would you find this offensive?

Kyra

I teach a children's choir for our homeschooling group. I adapted my favorite Christmas book, Santa and the Christ Child, into a little program with music and a small line for all the kids. It starts out with "Grandpa" coming in telling the kids it's time for a story. They ask which one and he says that he's going to tell them a story about the time Jesus...then gets interrupted by one of the kids saying "We don't want to hear the same old story again. Read us something more exciting."

In my head he would have finished with "The time Jesus helped Santa with Christmas" and later in the program you understand that more. The whole program really is centered around Christ, and it's basically teaching kids how even Santa knows that He is the real reason for Christmas, etc.

But I had the mom of one of my kids call me the other day and tell me that she was offended by that part of "Same old story" and "read us something more exciting." I explained to her that I didn't hand out the whole script to everyone (too expensive to pay for that many copies) and told her the whole story. She said now that she understands more about it she's okay with it, but she didn't sound convinced.

Our concert is in less than a week, I absolutely do NOT have time to change the script and make those kids learn anything new. I haven't had any complaints from other parents, and I've even asked a few specifically if they found it offensive and they said absolutely not, they thought it was a really cute program.

I really don't want to offend anyone, but I also don't want to cater to 3 kids when I have 35 others who aren't bothered by it. But if enough people feel offended by it I'll make a couple changes.

So do you think it's offensive? Should I make some last minute changes or do you think it's okay?

I teach a children's choir for our homeschooling group. I adapted my favorite Christmas book, Santa and the Christ Child, into a little program with music and a small line for all the kids. It starts out with "Grandpa" coming in telling the kids it's time for a story. They ask which one and he says that he's going to tell them a story about the time Jesus...then gets interrupted by one of the kids saying "We don't want to hear the same old story again. Read us something more exciting."

In my head he would have finished with "The time Jesus helped Santa with Christmas" and later in the program you understand that more. The whole program really is centered around Christ, and it's basically teaching kids how even Santa knows that He is the real reason for Christmas, etc.

But I had the mom of one of my kids call me the other day and tell me that she was offended by that part of "Same old story" and "read us something more exciting." I explained to her that I didn't hand out the whole script to everyone (too expensive to pay for that many copies) and told her the whole story. She said now that she understands more about it she's okay with it, but she didn't sound convinced.

Our concert is in less than a week, I absolutely do NOT have time to change the script and make those kids learn anything new. I haven't had any complaints from other parents, and I've even asked a few specifically if they found it offensive and they said absolutely not, they thought it was a really cute program.

I really don't want to offend anyone, but I also don't want to cater to 3 kids when I have 35 others who aren't bothered by it. But if enough people feel offended by it I'll make a couple changes.

So do you think it's offensive? Should I make some last minute changes or do you think it's okay?

Leave it! It sounds exactly like what a little kid would say. Heck, I'm sure some adults have thought the same thing at church a time or two.

WelcomeHome

I think stick with what you have got, you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

The whole situation reminds me of the first time I showed a friend of mine the movie "The Best Two Years". By 30 minutes in to it he was saying that the movie was terrible and painted missionaries in a poor light, then once we got through the entire movie he realised that the story had a good moral meaning and a purpose and that the "same old stuff" at the beginning was necessary to the story at the end.

3 years ago we did a Christmas pageant on "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and being told it was not appropriate because it did not mention Jesus at all. Everyone enjoyed themselves though and the person who complained said to me last Sunday that they wished we could do it again this year.

Is this the same Kris U that despairs at my refusal to let go of my pagan party favors?

Hey, what's a Christmas celebration without the Nectar of Zaitan or the wearing of goat skin leggings?

Rick J: - 3 years ago we did a Christmas pageant on "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and being told it was not appropriate because it did not mention Jesus at all. Everyone enjoyed themselves though and the person who complained said to me last Sunday that they wished we could do it again this year.

In my Ward, last year, the Christmas program was split: Half for Jesus and half for Joseph Smith's Birthday - right down to the same number of songs each. From a personal point of view, I wish they would dedicate the week before exclusively for Joseph Smith and let Jesus have Christmas.

No, I would not be offended. All they are saying is they know what he's about to say and they've heard it before. I wouldn't view it as 'Jesus is boring.' I could see being offended if you were like, ok, lets not tell the story of the Christ child, and just focus on Santa, the real reason for Christmas! Since it's the opposite of that, I think it sounds lovely.

Allow the telestial mortals have their time here in this world [those who believe in this].

However, I would not use this material at all....