thank you mormons

bodhigirlsmiles

i want to tell all the mormons on this site (i think there are a few of you....;) ) how very grateful i am to you for your chirst-like ways. while i do not believe in christ the same way you do (silly buddhist, i know), i am constantly impressed with your sincerity and compassion. i know that there are many in this world who would acuse you of not being real christians, but in my book, you are some of the more christian people i have ever met. in addition to this site, i participate in another forum on a "christian" site. i have never heard such hatred, malice, and blatant disregard for the well-being of others that i have encountered there. to be fair, there are a few on the site who treat me well, but this is certainly a minority. some of these "followers of christ" on this other site say some very embarassing, rude, and grossly un-christlike things to me with great regularity. thank you for being such a wonderful people. thank you for showing me love, for love indeed i feel whenever i log onto this site. may happiness find you this day and forever.

thanks Bod I was hoping to hear from you are great can I ask you for help? I have been going through a rough time and am very impressed with the way some Buddhists concerntrate and dedicate their actions every moment of their lives. Do I just need to knuckle down and do it or is there a knack to it? I am not sure I am making sense lol

-Charley

thanks Bod I was hoping to hear from you are great can I ask you for help? I have been going through a rough time and am very impressed with the way some Buddhists concerntrate and dedicate their actions every moment of their lives. Do I just need to knuckle down and do it or is there a knack to it? I am not sure I am making sense lol

-Charley

i think, perhaps, i get a little of what you're saying :lol:. if you would be so kind as to go into a little more detail, i would be more than happy to impart what knowledge i possess (althought this is by no means great!) to help you.

i want to tell all the mormons on this site (i think there are a few of you....;) ) how very grateful i am to you for your chirst-like ways. while i do not believe in christ the same way you do (silly buddhist, i know), i am constantly impressed with your sincerity and compassion. i know that there are many in this world who would acuse you of not being real christians, but in my book, you are some of the more christian people i have ever met. in addition to this site, i participate in another forum on a "christian" site. i have never heard such hatred, malice, and blatant disregard for the well-being of others that i have encountered there. to be fair, there are a few on the site who treat me well, but this is certainly a minority. some of these "followers of christ" on this other site say some very embarassing, rude, and grossly un-christlike things to me with great regularity. thank you for being such a wonderful people. thank you for showing me love, for love indeed i feel whenever i log onto this site. may happiness find you this day and forever.

Some of the best “Christians” I know are Buddhist. I have a friend that is a Buddhist monk that is as “Christian” as anyone I know. To me it is not about what you say or what you say you know – it is about what you do and how you treat others. If someone has to tell others that they are a Christian then I do not believe that they are really a Christian.

If you have to explain that you are a follower of righteousness it is because what you do speaks so loudly that no one can hear what you saying.

Thanks for walking with me.

The Traveler

I can somewhat relate. I've been to other religious forums as well and seen incredible hatred from so-called Christians toward me simply because I don't agree. This is the only forum that made me feel welcome and where (most) people were willing to peacefully discuss our disagreements. I don't know if that speaks towards Mormons in general or the moderators for doing such a good job at keeping things peaceful, but I am thankful as well for the community here.

-Charley

One part that has been explained to me is to become "aware" of self (who you are at your core) and how you as yourself relates to what is (espically what is meaningful) around you.

The Traveler

i think, perhaps, i get a little of what you're saying :lol:. if you would be so kind as to go into a little more detail, i would be more than happy to impart what knowledge i possess (althought this is by no means great!) to help you.

thanks oddly I was praying about seeing you on here today - well I know that some Buddhists concerntrate on every step sort of they are walking and that is what they are doing. When cooking to concerntrate on cooking and prepare it with a singleness of mind and heart (appreciate with 2 small kids it won't be perfect lol) I would love to be able to do that?

-Charley

Some of the best “Christians” I know are Buddhist. I have a friend that is a Buddhist monk that is as “Christian” as anyone I know. To me it is not about what you say or what you say you know – it is about what you do and how you treat others. If someone has to tell others that they are a Christian then I do not believe that they are really a Christian.

If you have to explain that you are a follower of righteousness it is because what you do speaks so loudly that no one can hear what you saying.

The Traveler

very well said. thank you.

thanks oddly I was praying about seeing you on here today - well I know that some Buddhists concerntrate on every step sort of they are walking and that is what they are doing. When cooking to concerntrate on cooking and prepare it with a singleness of mind and heart (appreciate with 2 small kids it won't be perfect lol) I would love to be able to do that?

-Charley

that, my friend, is not an easy task. it is something for which i have striven the whole of my life. what you mention above is something that a great buddhist scholar has spoken of at some length. i offer a few of his quotes to you:

By living deeply in the present moment we can understand the past better and we can prepare for a better future. - Thich Nhat Hanh

We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize.

Life can be found only in the present moment. The past is gone, the future is not yet here, and if we do not go back to ourselves in the present moment, we cannot be in touch with life.

it isn't always easy to stay positive all the time. i can imagine that having children presents quite a challenge to your patience on occasion! children are wonderful, and their smiles make the world a better place. the most important thing to do is to do only one thing at a time. buddhism definately does not promote multi-tasking! when you eat, eat and do nothing else. think about the fact that you are eating and think about how the food tastes. when you walk, concentrate on walking. think about each step. when you brush your teeth, avoid thinking about what you have to do the following day. simply brush your teeth. all of this is not easy, but it does become a lot easier as you practice.

-pema

Is Pema your name its pretty how is it pronounced?

you are so kind! pema is my name. it is roughly pronounced "pay-ma" and means "a lotus". my middle name is tashi, which means "prosperity".

i have one sister and her name is nima ("sun") sonam ("the fortunate one")

Thank you for your time you have reminded me I have a book Buddhism for Mothers I think I need to dig it out reread it.

you are certainly welcome. please do not hesitate to ask me anything. you have a beautiful "spirit" about you.

you are so kind! pema is my name. it is roughly pronounced "pay-ma" and means "a lotus". my middle name is tashi, which means "prosperity".

i have one sister and her name is nima ("sun") sonam ("the fortunate one")

I really love both, names are important to me my daughter is Elana Hebrew for Tree, my son is Gabriel God is my Strength/Strong Man of God, and my next child will be Iris play of colours, rainbow or a flower, I felt her name needed to be a bright colour. I used family names for middle names

With each of my children we have had strong indication as to meaning and then found names we liked. Pema and Nima are beautiful your parents have great taste:)

-Charley

I really love both, names are important to me my daughter is Elana Hebrew for Tree, my son is Gabriel God is my Strength/Strong Man of God, and my next child will be Iris play of colours, rainbow or a flower, I felt her name needed to be a bright colour. I used family names for middle names

With each of my children we have had strong indication as to meaning and then found names we liked. Pema and Nima are beautiful your parents have great taste:)

-Charley

those are wonderful names. my parents are good people and are certainly deserving of such praise. i only hope that i can embody some of their wisdom.

The Traveler

That's an interesting statement. I'm wondering if what u mean is "moral" or "good" or "exemplar in actions" rather than "Christian" Traveler. Just good behavior in my opinion is not Christianity. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

That's an interesting statement. I'm wondering if what u mean is "moral" or "good" or "exemplar in actions" rather than "Christian" Traveler. Just good behavior in my opinion is not Christianity. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Matt 7:17-20

17: Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18: A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19: Every tree that bringeth not froth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20: Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

There is nothing here about what a person says they believe - in fact there is nothing about believing in G-d or saying your are a Christian. Now consider the following.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

I do not believe Jesus meant that we "tell" everyone that we love them. I understand this to mean that those that act out of love for others are Christian. I accept anyone as a disciple of Christ (Christian) if they in fact love others. If they do not love others - regardless of what they may say - they are not Christian.

The Traveler

Thank you Traveler. I'm familiar with all of those. I don't know if that makes them Christian but can better be seen as an outflowing of Christianity. What I mean is not a defining feature necessarily but an consequence. It's late so maybe I'll come back to this idea some other time. Thanks for your thoughts :)

There is nothing here about what a person says they believe - in fact there is nothing about believing in G-d or saying your are a Christian. Now consider the following.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

I do not believe Jesus meant that we "tell" everyone that we love them. I understand this to mean that those that act out of love for others are Christian. I accept anyone as a disciple of Christ (Christian) if they in fact love others. If they do not love others - regardless of what they may say - they are not Christian.

Christianity's and Buddhism's philosophies differ in many ways, but yet share strong themes of morality, justice and love, just as you say in your example that "those that act out of love for others are Christian."

However, if you're going to call both philosphies by the same name, then it would be more appropriate to say "those that act out of love for others are Buddhist." This is because Buddhism predates Christianity about 500 years.

I think it's a bit presumptuous to call Buddhists Christians, because they're not. But, in spite of their differences regarding philosophy and doctrine, they do both stress love for our fellow human beings.

Thus, given your comparison, it should read:

“I accept anyone as the disciple of the Buddha (Buddhism) if they in fact love others. If they do not love others--regardless of what they say--they are not Buddhists.

Elphaba