How do I answer some of these anti - questions??

PC, if you don't mind me asking, how would you know if God re-opened the canon?

I thought I answered this: However, minus a personal testimony of your latter revelations, I am forced to compare their content with the Bible and with the teachings that I do have a testimony of. Before I can gain a testimony of the new, I'd have to gain a testimony that much of what I've understood to be true . . . ain't.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having served my mission in the Tennessee Knoxville Mission, I have some ideas for you Michael.

#1 - ALWAYS answer a "biblical" question using the Book of Mormon. Let the spirit of The Book of Mormon help answer the question - and you'll take your "biblical opponent" to an unknown land where they cannot reject what we believe.

(BTW, if they say to only give answers in the Bible - end the conversation.)

And I would say ( having been in a stake mission presidency/ward mission leader for 9 years in Montgomery, AL) to use the Bible, and then give supporting statements from the Book of Mormon. This way they can see how the Bible and Book of Mormon work hand in hand, testifying of one another. To not use the Bible is to suggest we do not believe in it, and will give the investigator the feeling that we don't use it or give it any real credit.

#3 - Bear your testimony. Your testimony is YOUR and yours alone. Manipulated scripture cannot refute your testimony.

You cannot PROVE that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is only in the LDS faith. That's why it's called FAITH.

But if you want to have a meaningful discussion, use the cornerstone of our faith - The Book of Mormon.

Then invite them to read the Book of Mormon and to pray about it, and if Joseph Smith was truly a Prophet of God.

Make it a missionary moment, not a bible bashing session.

The discussion must come off of wandering topics and onto what we consider our core doctrines and principles. It is only with the core doctrines and principles that people are converted and stay firm in the faith.

If the questions are regarding issues of lesser important issues, like whether Mormons once practiced polygamy or denied blacks the priesthood, answer it briefly and then move the discussion onto the core doctrines. Help them to see that our doctrine today that we live is what is important and what God wishes for us to focus on. Help them to see the importance of living prophets and apostles, as well as continuing revelation. Most of all, let them know of your testimony of Christ and how it is enhanced by these additional witnesses.