So, This is it, isn't it?

Elrond

I've been doing some research on LDS and found Joseph Smith originally settled in Missouri, later went to Illinois. He was shot in a jail by some irate people. The Mormons eventually migrated west and settled mainly in Utah.

I am in Missouri. What brought me here, I don't know (Yes, I do think I know: God)

I live where it all started: the restoration......

The closest LDS church is at least 65 miles away. I would like to go but my work precludes me....

This is a small town of rednecks, fundamentalist Christians and Meth dealers.

Where do I go from here. ??????

God has always brought me to places I am supposed to be, and I've lived in at least 12 states from new england to alaska, san diego Cal to Florida.......

What I read about the persecution of JS and the early Mormons convinced me it's all of God. It was like Pharisees persecuting th early Christians......

I will never wear a suit and tie but I have felt very comfortable spiritualy around you all for quite a few years.

What do I do?

Please don't say pray and ask for guidance... been there done that.....

God called me to be a prophet in 1987. It was from the Book of Ezekiel and personal revelations. There were signs that came to pass. Ever since then I have opertated in this capacity. In fact I even dropped out of a pentecostal Bible college because of what God had shown me. I knew Native Ameriacan were of the tribe of Joseph 3 years before I ever read of the Book of Mormon.

I feel lost but I also feel found.

What do I do?

And since I am very independant and shun the words of man I will take any answer under consideration, prayerfully.....

Only God can reveal the truth and reality.

Edited by Elrond

Well, it sounds like you are being drawn to the LDS church. You are learning a little of how the restoration happened and the historical events surrounding it. Missouri is a special place in our history.....one that is a mix of pain and great blessings.

I don't know exactly what you are to do in your life. Perhaps God is waiting for you to choose. I think it is important to rely on God for answers and direction. But I do also think it is important to understand that we have responsibility in the search. Often it is the desires we have and the questions in our hearts that open the door to prayer. It was so with Joseph Smith. The First Vision only happened after much searching and questioning on his part. It has been the same with many many other aspects to the Restoration of the gospel.

I can think of a few directions you could take. Missionary discussions, or read the BofM, or start attending church, or all of the above. :)

I think if you feel led to learn about the Church, then maybe it is time for you to immerse yourself in the pursuit and see what Spirit feelings you have as you go.

Perhaps the time has come for you to put yourself in a position where you will be able to attend the LDS Church on a regular basis.

No. I own 8 acres of land and have spent the part 3 years building a custom house....

I don't think I need to put myself in any position. I think I'm where I need to be.

However, my former church.... a christian church, just moved and the church building is abandoned. I think it must be leased or rented. It's a nice little country church (and that is actually its name)...

Could the LDS lease it? Does anyone know.

It's been sitting abandoned for 2 months now......

See, this is what I do...... I find openings and help out, kinda undercover......

I've done it for over 20 years.

PM/IM me with any real advice.....

And, I do not own the church or the land there. It is 7 miles away in the town. The last pastor abandoned it and moved to anotrher church called red hill...

If LDS takes it over I will go there.......

Well, it sounds like you are being drawn to the LDS church. You are learning a little of how the restoration happened and the historical events surrounding it. Missouri is a special place in our history.....one that is a mix of pain and great blessings.

I don't know exactly what you are to do in your life. Perhaps God is waiting for you to choose. I think it is important to rely on God for answers and direction. But I do also think it is important to understand that we have responsibility in the search. Often it is the desires we have and the questions in our hearts that open the door to prayer. It was so with Joseph Smith. The First Vision only happened after much searching and questioning on his part. It has been the same with many many other aspects to the Restoration of the gospel.

I can think of a few directions you could take. Missionary discussions, or read the BofM, or start attending church, or all of the above. :)

I think if you feel led to learn about the Church, then maybe it is time for you to immerse yourself in the pursuit and see what Spirit feelings you have as you go.

Thank you. I have been drawn for many years to you people, and I have defended you on christian forums for several years when the fundamentalists have attacked you as being a cult. I did this because I was inspired by God... I was not LDS, and I was nothing but a castaway from several Christian churches.

Just for the record.....the Restoration started in upstate New York. The prophet was living in Palmyra when he prayed for the first vision. Church history involves many sites in New York, Ohio, and Illinois.

I know the history. I was just researching Missouri....

He also passed through Pennsylvanaia, did he not?

So, what happened there? :)

and sometimes ppl just travel an hour to church. i traveled 30min my entire life growing up, we have members of our branch that travel 45min to an hour. no they can't make every activity but they make what they can. something to pray about?

Since we live in very rural woods, we have dirt roads and small, hilly secondary highways to travel 2/3 of the way before we hit the interstate, then another 20 or 25 miles, then the city traffic. Time to get to city: 1 1/2 hours or more. And the trip back. Equals over 3 hours on the road with 2 kids..... Our 3 year old doesn't like the car seat for over a half hour. That means stops. The real trip is over 2 hours. One way. And dealing with the high pitched screaming in your ear.....

LDS needs to lease the church here.

I'm not being snide.

Come here and convert these rednecks! :)

and sometimes ppl just travel an hour to church. i traveled 30min my entire life growing up, we have members of our branch that travel 45min to an hour. no they can't make every activity but they make what they can. something to pray about?

That'll be the same for me -- I'll have to take an hour train every Sunday next year if I start attending church, because I'll be moving to an lds church-free town.

Elrond: We too live in Missouri. I think I know a little about traveling distance to attend church. We live 1 hour driving time (one way) from the closest LDS church, we too live in a very rural area and I own 11 acres albeit most of our travel is on paved road. In addition I teach Mutual so I also drive 1 hour into church on Wed. nites. Have been doing this for 9 years.

I would suggest you consider attending the closest LDS church to you and go with an open mind as a child would be. These words from Elder Robert R. Steuer of the Seventy seem to apply.

President Brigham Young taught our “first and foremost duty [is] to seek the Lord until we open the path of communication from God to our own soul.” Shortly after his death, the Prophet Joseph Smith appeared in a dream to Brigham Young and instructed him: “Tell the people to be humble and faithful, and be sure to keep the spirit of the Lord and it will lead them right. Be careful and not turn away the small still voice; it will teach them what to do and where to go; it will yield the fruits of the Kingdom.”

How do we ignite this power of divine instruction in our lives? First, we need to start with a willingness to be instructed. While many naturally hunger and thirst after righteousness, others may be compelled to be humble. Some of us, rather than follow instructions or change ourselves, would simply like to change the rules. Naaman certainly wanted to be rid of his leprous flesh but went away in a rage when told by the prophet’s messenger to simply wash seven times in the River Jordan. It was inconvenient, a little thing, and he felt that the rivers in his land were better than the Jordan. But his leprosy was cured as he listened to his servants, changed his mind, and did “according to the saying of the man of God.” He was dramatically shown that there was a prophet and a God in Israel. We too must realize that God has governing laws and that His wisdom is greater than our own. Even Moses observed, after seeing God’s majesty and workmanship, “Man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed.”

Second, we need to put ourselves into a proper frame of mind and heart. This comes by prayerful pondering and laboring in the Spirit. This labor is real labor. It includes the very active steps of seeking, hearkening, and studying the scriptures. When humbled and stripped of pride, our heart is softened and now we can focus on heavenly counsel and instruction. Lamoni’s father, the powerful Lamanite king, made just that change in focus, even prostrating himself to the earth, demonstrating his great commitment to know God. He declared, “I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day.”

Good luck on your journey.

I'm pretty sure you can get a day off work for a religious reason?

I don't work for some employer. I am self employed. I have work to do and it needs done. Much of it involves building our house, cutting wood for heat, care of animals.

I the past 3 years I'd be exaggerating if I said I had 15 days of rest. You're supposed to get 1 day a week. I get about 5 or 6 a year.

Also, Sunday is my big work day. In fact I am online so much today because I did 12 hours work yesterday.

That's just the way it is.

The book of Revelation tells us there will be many legit Prophets in the last days. We are all to be guided by personal Revelation, but at the same time accept the guidance of leaders. 66 miles isn't very far to attend Church.

If you want more immediate access to the missionaries, I would go to Mormon.org - Home and chat on-line with missionaries at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah. Ask them to send someone to you to talk about where to attend Church. They may have a Branch closer that is not listed.

I hear what you are saying.

66 miles? I never said that but it may very well be accurate... HMMM.

It is not a day of rest when you have to get kids up, prepare them to go out, drive 2 hours, attend services, and drive 2 hours back., It's a burdensome hectic 6 to 8 hours. Tiring. Very tiring.

Even when we attended church 7 miles away it was burden.

My wife worked all week and I did my work at home. It was grueling. Terribly gruelling.

We all felt slammed to thge pavement and run over.

Well, there is that notion of "taking up ones cross" and following the Lord.

We all have sacrifices to make to obey the will of the Lord. It is part of the deal....part of what tests us and what proves our devotion. There are a million reasons not to go to church for a lot of us. But....when we obey we are blessed. Father in Heaven makes a way for us to obey his will and he blesses us will a variety of abundance when we do. Perhaps a little hastle coupled with a little tired might be a fair exchange for blessings from on high and the people you may need to touch by attending.

In the Mormon Church, it is the group effort that makes the whole thing work. Everyone's participation is important and valueable and needed.

There is more to keeping the Sabbath day holy than just attending services. People all over the world can't make it to services every Sunday but do what they can in other ways, which means as a father, administering the sacrament if you have the priesthood (with permission from the Bishop). This is not to make excuses, it means that everyone's situation is different.

Find the nearest ward, double-check with the Bishop or Stake president to make sure it is the nearest ward/branch to where you live. Go to church as often as you can and consult the Bishop of your area to get his opinion on your situation and how often you should be attending, most Bishops are understandable about these things, but they will certainly give you "fatherly" advice if they feel you aren't really making your best efforts.

Quit making excuses. Either you are "drawn" to the church, as you say, or you weren't.

Quit waffling. We all have whining kids, our own set of troubles and so forth, just like you. But we made our decision. You make yours. (written in the tone of fatherly love, hope you take it that way :) )

Edited by richlittell

Just for the record.....the Restoration started in upstate New York. The prophet was living in Palmyra when he prayed for the first vision. Church history involves many sites in New York, Ohio, and Illinois.

I suppose you already know this, but just to be a pain in the neck I'll offer my opinion that Joseph never did pray for the first vision. Maybe it's just me.

It came as a result of prayer, but that isn't what he was praying for.

HiJolly

I hear what you are saying.

66 miles? I never said that but it may very well be accurate... HMMM.

It is not a day of rest when you have to get kids up, prepare them to go out, drive 2 hours, attend services, and drive 2 hours back., It's a burdensome hectic 6 to 8 hours. Tiring. Very tiring.

Even when we attended church 7 miles away it was burden.

My wife worked all week and I did my work at home. It was grueling. Terribly gruelling.

We all felt slammed to thge pavement and run over.

Elrond,

I don't think you'd enjoy being a Mormon. You've moved a lot, but when the idea is presented that you should move again (in context of getting closer to Church) you state unequivically 'no.'. Then you tell us of your feelings regarding attending church. Not just the LDS, but other churches as well.

It is a commandment to "keep the Sabbath Day holy", yet you don't feel you can obey it. I see a independent streak in you that would not allow you to remain in the Church, even if you did join and receive baptism.

So I think you should focus at this time on deciding what commandments you can obey, and pondering why you feel you do not need to heed the ones you will not obey.

If I were you, I would hope I could do the following every Sunday:

(1) Feed the animals, milk the cow & etc., minimally as essentially needed. No shoing horses or mowing the hay.

(2) Eat breakfast, the whole family all together.

(3) Sing some hymns together

(4) Pray to God as a family, that He will give His spirit to your whole family through out this holy day.

(5) Read some Bible or Book of Mormon stories out loud (family members could take turns reading) and then discuss together the concepts that teach Gospel concepts. Hear what your children think and feel. Guide them as needed.

(6) Discuss with the family who you know that you can give service to. Perhaps a clerk at the store in town that is feeling unloved, and you might brighten their day somehow. A smile, even, or a pointed comment on how nice the have been to you? Something like that. Plan it out, and then during the week, deliver on it.

(7) Go with your family to the hospital or Old folks' home, and visit with the bed-ridden or home-bound. Let them know by your visit that someone cares about their suffering.

(8) Call, or write a letter to relatives (any relatives) and just let them know that you want to keep in touch, share success and trials with them.

(9) Listen to Music & the Spoken Word by going here to look up the station and time in your area: Music and the Spoken Word

(10) Tell your kids some stories from your life, and what you learned through your experience, if appropriate.

(11) Memorize a scripture or two.

(12) Go on a peaceful walk (riverside, mountain trail, etc) with your family.

(13) Meditate on a Gospel principle and how it can affect your life.

(14) Look on the internet for other ideas for joyfully keeping the Sabbath Day holy.

This is not as good, IMO, as associating with a large body of believers, but it is a lot better than working. To me, it doesn't matter if you work for yourself or WalMart, I woudn't do more than barebones maintenance on Sunday.

HiJolly

Edited by HiJolly

Elrond,

I don't think you'd enjoy being a Mormon. You've moved a lot, but when the idea is presented that you should move again (in context of getting closer to Church) you state unequivically 'no.'. Then you tell us of your feelings regarding attending church. Not just the LDS, but other churches as well.

It is a commandment to "keep the Sabbath Day holy", yet you don't feel you can obey it. I see a independent streak in you that would not allow you to remain in the Church, even if you did join and receive baptism.

So I think you should focus at this time on deciding what commandments you can obey, and pondering why you feel you do not need to heed the ones you will not obey.

(1) Feed the animals, milk the cow & etc., minimally as essentially needed. No shoing horses or mowing the hay.

(4) Pray to God as a family, that He will give His spirit to your whole family through out this holy day.

(5) Read some Bible or Book of Mormon stories out loud (family members could take turns reading) and then discuss together the concepts that teach Gospel concepts. Hear what your children think and feel. Guide them as needed.

(6) Discuss with the family who you know that you can give service to. Perhaps a clerk at the store in town that is feeling unloved, and you might brighten their day somehow. A smile, even, or a pointed comment on how nice the have been to you? Something like that. Plan it out, and then during the week, deliver on it.

(7) Go with your family to the hospital or Old folks' home, and visit with the bed-ridden or home-bound. Let them know by your visit that someone cares about their suffering.

(8) Call, or write a letter to relatives (any relatives) and just let them know that you want to keep in touch, share success and trials with them.

(9) Listen to Music & the Spoken Word by going here to look up the station and time in your area: Music and the Spoken Word

(10) Tell your kids some stories from your life, and what you learned through your experience, if appropriate.

(14) Look on the internet for other ideas for joyfully keeping the Sabbath Day holy.

This is not as good, IMO, as associating with a large body of believers, but it is a lot better than working. To me, it doesn't matter if you work for yourself or WalMart, I woudn't do more than barebones maintenance on Sunday.

HiJolly

These are all great suggestions. We recently had an elder serving in our ward who only went to Church about three or four times a year. He and his family had their own "meetings" at home most of the time. They lived eight hours from the nearest chapel, however. I think they'd probably be grateful to live only 66 miles away.

I would suggest you request to have full time missionaries meet with you. While the Church building may be 65 miles away, chances are there are members that live nearby. Check into it by going to the LDS locater at lds.org or mormon.org. Once you are in contact with the missionaries and members, they can work with you, perhaps help you get to church at least on occasion, etc.

Elrond,

HiJolly

1,2 3 and 4 no problem. (We don't have a cow... so don't have a cow! haha :P )

5 I do. We don't have a BoM, but do have several Bibles and Book of Enoch. But I can access BoM online if I have to.

6. I did that last night. I went to subway and ordered 2 subs. The girl serving looked like an 18 year old goth girl on her first job. She did really good... but she kept asking "do you want chips and a drink with that?" like 4 times! Anyways I paid with my card but I gave her a cash tip and said "bet you don't get too many of these here?" She said "Thanks, no we don't ...Thank You."

As I left I thought I should have given her a $50 or $100 tip to really make her day. But I only gave her $2. A buck tip for each grinder she made. Was I cheap? Normally people don't even tip the subway workers at all. I just thought I should have given more after I left. Next time I go in and she's there I should probably tip her at least $20.

7. No time. And we are suffering and visit each other. My back and arm pain is terrible sometimes. And even though I took yesterday off I ended up engaging my 3 year old in a wrestling match and martial arts.... He started it! He was learning how to use the broomstick and so I taught him blocks and how to strike with it. At one point he got around my block and nailed me in the back of the neck just below the skull. It quite upset my equalibrium for hours and I had to close my right eye to have balance. I still feel some of these effects 18 hours later. He then pretended cave man kill the Mammoth. He speared me with the broomstick and clubbed me in the head several times. He then got on my back and rode me, holding my hair like reins and slapping me in the head to turn me. After a half hour of this I bucked him off and sent him to bed.... I told my wife our son would have made a master hunter in cave man days.

8. They are dying off. My Mom passed away at 79 in July. My dads first wife (my sisters Mom) also died this year. I am still in touch with my 90 year old aunt and 75 year old dad... so I do this.

9: I'll check it out.

10: I do. But my life has been heavy.

11: It's all there. I might not know chapter and verse all the time but God reveals scripture as neccessary. One former pastor of mine called me a walking concordanance!

I could not quote you the entire Bible but in varied conversations the Spirit quickens me to verses needed at the time.

12: I do this but not enough. Many times I walk alone because we have a 4 month old well I guess he's 5 month now... on the 18th.

13: I do.

14. I do and will.

I also beleive the Sabbath is saturday and Jesus never changed it. I am not a seventh day adventist... I just believe the real Sab is saturday as God originally made it. No big deal.

When we lived in Missouri I had to travel quite a distance for church. I was 12 at the time, so it was all fine and dandy. The same way snow is lot of fun when you're younger, not so much when you're the one driving... Anyways, I suppose first thing would be to find out what time they meet. Anyone know of how to find meeting times for buildings online? I suppose there's always the phone book, look up the church and give it a ring and see who answers. Once you're there see if you can snag the bishop and introduce yourself.

Also, have you met with missionaries? They will come to you. You probably know a lot of the basic stuff but they are good at answer questions, and generally are helpful.

Best of luck!

When we lived in Missouri I had to travel quite a distance for church. I was 12 at the time, so it was all fine and dandy. The same way snow is lot of fun when you're younger, not so much when you're the one driving... Anyways, I suppose first thing would be to find out what time they meet. Anyone know of how to find meeting times for buildings online? I suppose there's always the phone book, look up the church and give it a ring and see who answers. Once you're there see if you can snag the bishop and introduce yourself.

Also, have you met with missionaries? They will come to you. You probably know a lot of the basic stuff but they are good at answer questions, and generally are helpful.

Best of luck!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I loved snow as a kid. I used to build snow caves when I was 10. The plow would make this huge pile at the end of our parking lot. It must have been 15' high. I would go behind it and make a cave. My Mom had me in this one piece snowsuit so I was warm.

Now I hate winter. I despise it with a passion. But I can drive in almost any snow. Prettend the car is a boat because actually you are on water. It works.

I also used to like long drives, even if I was driving. My biggest strait drive was from Vermont to Nebraska. 30 hours without sleep. Now I can't stand it. My Mom passed away this summer and I had to drive 1,000 miles to Florida and back - 4 TIMES in 2 months.....

I met missionaries in college but they just said hello and kept walking on by. It seemed they knew I beleived what they did anyways.....

Perhaps I will call...