Tonight I Saw Napoleon Dynamite

StrawberryFields

Jenda,

It's in or it was in wide release. It started in just 6 theaters in June and then picked up a following over a couple months and then went into wide release in August in about 706 theaters, then growing to 1027 theaters. It has become the 948 largest grossing movie of all time and th 11th highest grossing high school comedy.

While the film cost 400,000 to make, it has grossed over 40 million.

How do I know all this my little brained friends? Well there's not much in this crazy, dazy world that I don't know.

SF,

A couple of months ago, though I don't do much but annoy Jenda and suffer the slings and arrows of much deserved fortune.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Originally posted by Spencer@Jan 10 2005, 08:22 AM

http://conversationswithmyself.com/content/nd_board

<span style=\'color:blue\'>Okay CUTE!I think. :lol:

My Daughter has a LIGER Sweatshirt, Nick had a t-shirt that has VOTE FOR PEDRO! on it and his Friend has a shirt that has Napoleon and the word SKILLS on it! :lol:

It took my computer a minute to load the site above....YESSSS!! it will be stored as a favorite!!!! :lol::lol:

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Nov 20 2004, 09:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Nov 20 2004, 09:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Franken@Nov 20 2004, 03:26 AM

I believe what iamalighthouse is referring to as inappropriate is how the movie makes fun of the "geek" crowd when in actuality it's an extreme exagerration of the "geek" crowd.  No one is really like that.

I do believe that their are geeks similar to these in the movie…although maybe not as self assured.

Having only seen this movie one time I am a little confused. It may not be as knowledgeable about this as some of you.

This is what I took from this movie:

Yes there are some geeks in this movie and they do group together. I don't think that they believe they are geeks. They are just kids being themselves and they don't see themselves as different at all. The two main geeks ask the most popular girls to the dance and they are sincere in their approach. One of the geeks decides to run for student body office and you know how that turns out. The geeks rejoice and win and the end just for being who they are. In actuality nobody really admires those who need to be fake everyday of their lives just to be popular. Even popular kids have some geeky traits; they are just more concerned about what others think, so they keep themselves in check.

What is being popular after all? Who sets the standards for being popular? In being popular, is it required that you separate yourself socially from some other kids?

It would be such a great thing if all students understood that their life in school is such a small percentage of their lives. Once you are out of high school the things you thought were so important don't matter anymore.

I saw the movie when it first came out, when I was in Virginia (Springington). We had no idea what is was, and came out totally dead of laughter. We bought the video and have seen it numerous times and laugh more everytime.

I have noticed that people either love it or hate it. It might be an interesting study to find out what kind of mind set finds it one or the other, and why.

I find its appeal to be the total non-hollywood theme and production. it is totally honest and refreshiningly naive. Napoleon has a astonishingly complex personality. He is both naive and inept, yet has this deeply caring and loyal side, coupled with the kind of courage that most of us only dream about. How many of us would have the guts to teach ourselves to dance, and then get out in front of a bunch of people that mostly spit on you, and dance?

Originally posted by iamalighthouse@Nov 18 2004, 02:03 PM

I watched that movie about two weeks ago and i thought it was the dumbest movie in the whole world.

It was also very inappropriate. the things that were implied. i didn't think it was good at all. I HATED it!

tell us some of the things YOU think were "implied".