Is there a Missionary Preparation Instructor Manual?

ZionsRodeVos

I was recently called to teach a missionary preparation class in Sunday School. I was just released as a primary teacher and taught the class of seven year olds that turn eight. So I am used to a manual that tells me what questions to ask and what to prepare. All I was given is a manual called Missionary Preparation Student Manual Religion 130. Is there an instructor manual for the same class? My class starts on the 25th of January. So I have time to get the manual if it is available locally. In the meantime I am reading the first lesson in the manual I have to start preparing for the class. I have looked on line but so far have not been able to find if there is or is not an instructor manual for this class.

There is a manual called "Preach my Gospel" available through the Church distribution center.

Synopsis:

This is the standard curriculum for all mission presidents, full-time missionaries, and ward missionaries. It may also be used by leaders and members in stakes and wards. It describes the principles of effective missionary work and the doctrines that missionaries are to study and teach.

Preach My Gospel

Thank you! That is a manual I was thinking of getting to help me out. Preach My Gospel. Another mentioned in the Missionary Preparation manual I have is True To The Faith. I'll need to get a copy of that one too.

I think I should have clarified more. I will use the Missionary Preparation Student Manual that I was given (if no instructor manual is available) and from that decide what to use in each class since it looks like there is more info in one lesson than can be shared in a 50 minute class. I did find some questions to ask in the Points to Ponder section. So I will use those in each class.

If you are looking for a Manual for church use (like the primary Manual) you won't find one for Missionary Prep.

The Missionary Prep Class is an Institute class that they like to try to teach at least some on Sunday for Missionaries that are going out.

The Preach My Gospel is the manual missionaries use to study while they are on the mission (is the main use) but can also help Missionaries prepare for a mission.

I'm sure you can come up with good enough questions with out a manual.

When I was on the High Council I was over the Missionary Prep class. We did not use the Institute book to teach but used the Preach My Gospel. It is what the missionaries use in the field.

We have had missionaries return who tell us what a blessing it was to study from this manual before going out.

I think that every household should have one.

Ben Raines

There is a manual called "Preach my Gospel" available through the Church distribution center.

Synopsis:

This is the standard curriculum for all mission presidents, full-time missionaries, and ward missionaries. It may also be used by leaders and members in stakes and wards. It describes the principles of effective missionary work and the doctrines that missionaries are to study and teach.

Preach My Gospel

That's what I would use in teaching a LDS Missionary Prep class

Thanks for all your replies, and help! I will discuss with the bishopric about also using the Preach My Gospel manual. It is the first counselor who gave me the student manual for me to teach from and when I was set apart he gave me about five or more in English and two in Spanish to give to the people they are going to invite to the class. So I am thinking they have already decided they want me to use the Missionary Preparation manual.

I finished reading the first chapter and am already formulating some ideas on how to present it. I'll be reading it a second time soon and at that time I will begin to mark what I will use. And yes, I will be doing a lot of praying.

Kind of funny story. Talking to one of my district managers today. He informed me that he has been called by Pres. Eyring to be a mission president. He only knows it will be an English speaking mission and won't get the location until the end of February.

I asked him if he's been reading "Preach my Gospel." He said that and about a dozen other books he was told to read.

He said there are probably a few managers that will be glad he will be gone for 3 years. hahaha

From what I have seen, you may be better off without a manual. Sometimes teachers get too dependent on a manual. Some of the lessons are ok, but sometimes the manual lessons can be a little lacking in good application and good questions. You may check out online resources to see if you can get any ideas, and I am sure you will come up with great ideas as well

Since the class is Missionary Preparation, then one of the most important things to do, is to apply what they learn, like to ask local missionaries to come in and talk to the class, and answer questions. Role-playing is used on the mission field, have your class to break into small groups, if you have enough students, and have them act like missionaries, and investigators.

Like most everyone said, teach out of the Preach My Gospel, and if possible, see if you can get a copy for everyone in the class, so they can follow along, and to study it while at home. Also teach the lessons as if your class knows nothing about the gospel, since this is going to be the way they are going to teach the gospel on the field. I would also talk about non-gospel orientated things that most people don’t think of, such as doing your own laundry, cooking, cleaning, and shopping. In addition, by all means, make sure they realize that, when they are on their mission, they are using, and spending, the Lord’s money, so they should treat it as such.