When did Joseph get the HG?

Webster

Where, when, and from whom did Joseph Smith get the Holy Ghost?

I can't think of any place that gives information about Joseph Smith receiving the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost, the ordinance of confirmation, or the baptism of fire.

I was reading in Joseph Smith-History when it hit me. I've heard about him receiving the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods, baptism, ordination to the office of Elder, and receiving various visitations and keys in the priesthood.

Does anyone know something about his receiving the Holy Ghost?

Where, when, and from whom did Joseph Smith get the Holy Ghost?

I can't think of any place that gives information about Joseph Smith receiving the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost, the ordinance of confirmation, or the baptism of fire.

I was reading in Joseph Smith-History when it hit me. I've heard about him receiving the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods, baptism, ordination to the office of Elder, and receiving various visitations and keys in the priesthood.

Does anyone know something about his receiving the Holy Ghost?

This is a function of the Melchizedek priesthood and would not have occured until Peter, James and John visited Joseph and Oliver.

The Traveler

Pure guess would be at the time of baptism. John the Baptist could have done it.

Ben Raines

Patriarchal Blessing Book 1, pp. 8-9. Ms.

"He [Joseph Smith] was ordained by the angel John unto the lesser or Aaronic priesthood, in company with myself, in the town of Harmony, Susquehannah County, Pennsylvania, on Fryday, the 15th day of May, 1829, after which we repaired to the water, even to the Susquehannah River, and were baptised, he first ministering unto me and after - I to him. But before baptism, our souls were drawn out in mighty prayer - to know how we might obtain the blessings of baptism and of the Holy Spirit, according to the order of God, and we diligently saught for the right of the fathers and the authority of the holy priesthood, and the power to administer in the same. . . . Therefore, we repaired to the woods, even as our father Joseph said we should, that is to the bush, and called upon the name of the Lord, and he answered us out of the heavens, and while we were in the heavenly vision the angel came down and bestowed upon us this priesthood; and then, as I have said, we repaired to the water and were baptized. After this we received the high and holy priestood but an account of this will be given elsewhere, or in another place."

John the Baptist explained "that he acted under the direction of Peter, James and John who held the keys of the Priesthood of Melchizedek," and promised that they would in due time receive that priesthood. According to existing evidence the promised ordination occurred shortly thereafter. In April, 1830, a revelation stated that Joseph Smith had been called of God and "ordained an apostle of Jesus Christ," and that Oliver Cowdery was also "called of God an apostle of Jesus Christ." Another revelation spoke of "Peter, and James, and John, whom I have sent unto you, by whom I have ordained you and confirmed you to be apostles." Though the exact date of this ordination is not known, it probably came before July, 1829, for a revelation in June referred to Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer as being called with the same calling as the Apostle Paul. The ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood occurred "in the wilderness between Harmony, Susquehanna County, and Colesville, Broome County, [Pennsylvania], on the Susquehanna river."

Oliver Cowdery gave several testimonies of the above visitations by John the Baptist and by Peter, James, and John. In an address at Council Bluffs, Iowa, October 29, 1848, he testified that he "was present with Joseph Smith when an holy angel from God came down from heaven and conferred on us, or restored, the lesser or Aaronic Priesthood." He also declared that he was "present with Joseph Smith when the higher or Melchizedek Priesthood was conferred." Over two years earlier he wrote in a personal letter:

I have cherished a hope, and that one of my fondest, that I might leave such a character, as those who might believe in my testimony, after I should be called hence, might do so, not only for the sake of truth, but might not blush for the private character of the man who bore that testimony. I have been sensitive on this subject, I admit, but I ought to be so—you would be, under the circumstances, had you stood in the presence of John, with your departed brother Joseph, to receive the lesser Priesthood—and in the presence of Peter to receive the greater, and looked down through time, and witnessed the effects these two must produce, you would feel what you have never felt. [Letter written by Oliver Cowdery. March 23, 1846, Tiffin, Seneca County, Ohio, to Phineas Young. Original in Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City, Utah.]

Evidence supports the conclusion that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery told others of these ordinations at an early date. Pomeroy Tucker, an early resident of Palmyra, expressed his antagonism to their claims when he wrote:

He [Joseph Smith] now arrogated to himself, by authority of "the spirit of revelation," and in accordance with the previous "promises" made to him [by John the Baptist ?], a far higher sphere in the scale of human existence, assuming to possess the gift and power of "prophet, seer, and revelator [the presiding office in the Melchizedek Priesthood]." . . . This was substantially, if not literally, the pretension of Smith, as related by himself, and repeatedly quoted by his credulous friends at the time. [Pomeroy Tucker, Origin, Rise and Progress of Mormonism (New York, 1867), p. 29].

In November, 1830, the Painesville Telegraph, Painesville, Ohio, reported the arrival in that area of Oliver Cowdery and others, as missionaries of the restored gospel. In its report the Telegraph commented that one of the missionaries "pretends to have seen angels." The use of the plural term indicates that Cowdery claimed ministrations from other angels than Moroni—presumably John the Baptist, Peter, James, and John. Continued the

Telegraph

The appearance of Peter, James, and John to restore the Melchizedek Priesthood and the key of the apostleship was not the only time that members of that ancient Presidency made their appearance among men in these last days. On more than one occasion, Heber C. Kimball declared that when the Twelve were anointed in the Kirtland Temple "John stood in their midst," while Peter was "in the stand." Kimball later declared that he could "bring twenty witnesses" who beheld the ancient personages. Later, when the Prophet was in Missouri, he reportedly stated that he had "a conversation a few days ago" with the Apostle Peter. [Palmyra Reflector, February 14, 1831.]

The temple at Kirtland, Ohio, was built primarily that important keys pertaining to the priesthood might be restored to earth through angelic ministrations and that the Saints might receive a pentacostal endowment like that which the New Testament Saints received. The promised endowment was to be an important landmark in developing the spiritual foundations of this dispensation. Before the Prophet moved Church headquarters from New York to Ohio, a revelation, dated January 2, 1831, promised that in their new location they were to "be endowed with power from on high." Three days later another revelation promised that if the Church would assemble in Ohio, the members would receive "a blessing such as is not known among men, and it shall be poured forth upon their heads."

In February, 1831, after the Prophet had arrived in Ohio, a revelation promised, "And ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power. "

Reference: Joseph Smith, the Man and the Seer, by Hyrum L. Andrus

Gift of the Holy Ghost was not given at their baptism. Most LDS scholars believe it occurred when Joseph and Oliver received the Melchizedek Priesthood. Then, it is possible it was conferred a second time (if it wasn't the first) when the Church was organized in 1830, and members were baptized and received laying on of hands at that time.

However, there is no specific mentioning of Joseph receiving it.

Here is a copy transcript of the paper:

THE REFELECTOR

Volume II Series I, No. 13

February 14, 1831

GOLDEN BIBLE, No. 4

Since we have had any knowledge of the habits or propensities of human species, we find that man has been prone to absurdities; and it too often happens that while we carefully attempt to detect them in others, we fondly cherish some gross inconsistencies within our own bosoms. The lust of power, doubtless stimulates the few, while ignorance binds the many, like passive slaves to the car of superstition.

It is passing strange, that in all ages of the world, gross STUPIDITY in an impostor should be considered among the vulgar, irrefragible proof of his divine mission, and the most bungling piece of legerdemain, will receive from them all the credit of a well attested miracle.

Joanna Southcote published a book in the city of London, in 1804, in which her first prophecies were detailed.—She declares that she did not understand the communications given her by the spirit, till they were afterwards explained to her. The spirit informed her how she could foretell the weather and other events. She declares that the death of Bishop Buller, was foretold her in a dream. One night she heard an iron ball roll THREE STEPS downstairs, which the spirit told her was the sign of three great evils, about to fall upan the land—the SWORD, the PLAGUE, and FAMINE. She relates that she foretold the extra ordinary harvest, which happened in 1800. She was often ordered to read the bible, when the spirit would interpret its meanings. She informs her readers, that Jacob's warning to his sons, is applicable to our time—mentions frequent contests with various preachers, and talks much about the marriage of the Lamb.

The following is from one of her communications. "AS wrong they are in saying thou hast CHILDREN BRO'T UP by the parrish, and that thou art Bonaparte's BROTHER, and that thou hast been in prison; so false is their sayings, thy writings come from the devil, or any spirit but the spirit of the LIVING GOD; and that every soul in THIS NATION shall know before the FIVE YEARS I mention to the people in 1800 are expired, and then I will return as a DIADEM of beauty to the residence of my people, and they shall praise the God of THEIR SALVATION."

In 1805, Joanna published a pamphlet, attempting to confute the "five charges," which had been made against her and published in the newspapers. First, SEALING her disciples. Second, on the INVASION. Third, on FAMINE. Fourth, her MISSION and fifth, her death. SEALING is an important point among these people.—Joanna gives those who profess a belief in her mission, and will subscribe to the things revealed in her "Warning," a SEALED PAPER with her signature, by which they are led to think, that they are SEALED AGAINST THE DAY OF REDEMPTION, and that all those who posses these seals, would be signally honored by the Messiah when he should come in the spring (of 1807). Her followers believed her to be the bride, the Lamb's wife, and that as man fell by a woman, he will be restored by a woman. Many of her followers pretended to have visions and revelations. At present it would appear that both warning, and sealing have subsided; and they are waiting in awful suspense for the commencement of the thousand years reign on earth, when peace will universally prevail. They now pretend that Christ will not come in person, but in spirit, and all the dead who have been sealed, will be raised from their graves, to partake of this happy state.

If an imposture, like the one we have so briefly noticed, could spring up in the great metropolis of England, and spread over a considerable portion of that kingdom, it is not surprising that one equally absurd, should have its origin in this neighborhood, where its dupes are not, or ever will be numerous.

In the commencement, the imposture of the "Book of Mormon," had no regular plan or features. At a time when the money digging ardor was somewhat abated, the elder Smith declared that his son Jo had seen the SPIRIT, (which he then described as a little old man with a long beard,) and was informed that he (Jo) under certain circumstances, eventually should obtain great treasures, and that in due time he (the spirit) would furnish him (Jo) with a book, which would give an account of the Ancient inhabitants (antideluvians,) of this country, and where they had deposited their substance, consisting of costly furniture, &c. at the approach to the great deluge, which had ever since that time remained secure in his (the spirits) charge, in large and spacious chambers, in sundry places in this vicinity, and these tidings corresponded precisely with revelations made to, and predictions made by the elder Smith, a number of years before.

The time at length arrived, when young Jo was to receive the book from the hand of the spirit, and he repaired accordingly, alone, and in the night time, to the woods in the rear of his father's house (in the town of Manchester about two miles south of this village) and met the spirit as had been appointed. This rouge of a spirit who had baffled all the united efforts of the money diggers, (although they had tried many devices to gain his favor, and at one time sacrificed a barn yard fowl,) intended it would seem to play our prophet a similar trick on this occasion; for no sooner had he delivered the book according to promise, then he made a most desperate attempt, to regain its possession. Our prophet however, like a lad of true metal, stuck to his prize, and attempted to gain his father's dwelling, which it appears, was near at hand. The father being alarmed at the long absence of his son, and probably fearing some trick of the spirit, having known him for many years; sallied forth in quest of the youthful adventurer. He had not however, proceeded far before he fell in with the object of his kind solicitude who appeared to be in the greatest peril. The spirit had become exasperated at the stubborn conduct of the young prophet, in wishing to keep possession of the book, and out of SHEER spite, raised a whirlwind, which was at that particular juncture, throwing trunks and limbs of trees, about their ears, besides the "elfish sprite" had belabored Jo soundly with blows,—had felled him once to the ground, and bruised him severely in the side. The rescue however, was timely, Jo retained his treasure, and returned to the house with his father, much fatigued and injured. This tale in substance, was told at the time the event was SAID to have happened by both father and son, and is well recalled by many of our citizens. It will be borne in mind that no DIVINE interposition had been DREAMED of at the period.

Hemidakota,

I learned some interesting things from what you included above, but I think I may have missed what you were getting at. Was there something in there that pointed out when Joseph Smith received the Holy Ghost, or were you including the information in response to other comments that were made? Was it to answer the idea that John the Baptist may have performed the ordinance, or that the ordinance would have been done after Peter, James, and John restored the Melchizedek priesthood? What am I missing?

I had researched through remaining transcript and could not find the quote to associate it with the reference. Interesting, I wonder Hyrum knew this issue or possible rewrite of the newsprint later to add more to the column. It was on pg 102.

Notable is the BYU Volume 35 Studies that was done on this subject quite extensively in 1995:

The Events of the Restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood

The written record regarding the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood is less complete. Although repeatedly testifying that Peter, James, and John had appeared to them and restored this high priesthood authority (documents 4, 12, 15-16, 30) or referring alternatively to "apostles" (document 6), "Peter" (document 27), "angels" (documents 5, 28), or "those held in reserve" (document 7), neither Joseph Smith nor Oliver Cowdery specified the date of that restoration or reported the words used by Peter in ordaining them to this priesthood beyond["declar[ing] themselves as possessing the keys" (document 16; see also 40). Oliver Cowdery'’s accounts concerning the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood corroborate the accounts of Joseph; whereas Oliver Cowdery provided the earliest detailed report of the visit of John the Baptist, his accounts of the visit of Peter, James, and John seldom add new information.

Significant evidence suggests that the Melchizedek Priesthood may have been restored in connection with the translation of the Book of Mormon. A revelation dated June 1829 (documents 1, 3) referred to the apostolic calling of David Whitmer and Oliver Cowdery, likening their calling to that of Paul, although the revelation did not detail the restoration of priesthood authority or any ordination in connection with that calling. Additionally, David Whitmer recalled in 1887 that he was "baptized, confirmed, and ordained an Elder" in June 1829 and that "previous to this, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery had baptized, confirmed and ordained each other to the office of an Elder." 6 The Book of Mormon, which was being translated at that time, described the ancient ordination of disciples, known as elders, who had power to confer the gift of the Holy Ghost (3 Ne. 18; Moro. 2-3). Inasmuch as the translation of 3 Ne. 11 had made Joseph and Oliver sensitive to their lack of power to baptize and impelled them to seek that power, it is possible that the translation of 3 Ne. 18 and Moro. 2-3 had a similar effect upon them, motivating them to pray to receive by the laying on of hands the additional power to bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The first printed reference to Joseph’s and Oliver’s ordination as apostles appeared in 1831. It indicated that Joseph and Oliver were "called of God and ordained an apostle of Jesus Christ" (document 2). In 1833, Joseph Smith discussed the restoration of apostolic authority in greater detail. Thereafter, most of his and Oliver’s written accounts expressly mentioned that angels played a role in the restoration of apostolic authority and of the power to bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost. In 1833 (document 6), Joseph Smith testified that he had seen "the Apostles" and could perform miracles. The following year, Joseph met with the Kirtland Stake High Council. On February 12, 1834, he discussed "the dignity of the office which has been conferred upon me by the ministring of the Angel of God" (document 8). While this might have been a reference to John the Baptist, it is also possible that Joseph was referring to PeterÂ’s role in conferring the Melchizedek Priesthood upon him. Five days later he instructed the same group that anciently "the apostle Peter was the president of the Council and held the keys of the Kingdom of God." 7 In a blessing which Oliver Cowdery dated 1833 and recorded in 1835, Joseph Smith referred to the reception of "the holy priesthood under the hands of those who...received it under the hand of the Messiah" (document 7).

In 1835 the original edition of the Doctrine and Covenants gave the first precise published account of the appearance of Peter, James, and John to Joseph and Oliver. 8 This edition indicates that the three ancient apostles had "ordained" and "confirmed" Joseph and Oliver as "apostles" and granted them "the keys of your ministry" (document 4). In subsequent statements, Joseph reiterated the role of Peter, James, and John in the restoration of "the priesthood" and "the keys of the kingdom" (documents 15, 16) and indicated that the angelic ministrants’ voices had come to them "in the wilderness" between Harmony, Pennsylvania, and Colesville, New York (document 16). 9 Following the Prophet’s death, Oliver Cowdery testified repeatedly and fervently that he had received the higher priesthood under the hands of angelic ministrants (documents 27-30). 10In 1846, he mentioned only Peter’s role in the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood (document 27), but in 1849 he confirmed that James and John had also been present (document 30).

Supplementing Joseph’s and Oliver’s own accounts in several respects are Addison Everett’s recollections, written in 1881, 1882, and 1883, of statements he had heard Joseph Smith make in a conversation in 1844. According to Everett’s longest account, Joseph Smith indicated that while translating the Book of Mormon in Harmony, Pennsylvania, he and Oliver had been arrested; after escaping from a courtroom, they spent the night in the woods eluding their enemies. At daybreak, Peter, James, and John appeared to them and "ordained us to the Holy Apostelship and gave unto us the Keys of the Dispensation of the fullness of times." 11

The foregoing accounts all seem to describe a single event: a restoration between Harmony and Colesville of what came to be known as the Melchizedek Priesthood under the Savior’s direction by Peter with the assistance of James and John. However, the draft and final version of an 1839 account by Joseph Smith may describe a separate set of events connected with the restoration of "the Melchesidec Priesthood, which holds the authority of the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost" (documents 13, 14). Those documents indicate that, after Joseph and Oliver had prayed for this authority, "the word of the Lord" came to them in a second location, the Whitmer home in Fayette, commanding them to ordain one another to the office of Elder once they had "called together our brethren and had their sanction" and then to "attend to the laying on of hands for the Gift of the Holy Ghost." 12

No single document written by the principals discusses both the appearance of Peter, James, and John and the revelation received in the Whitmer home, specifying the chronological order of these revelations, but the revelation described in documents 13 and 14 was definitely received prior to the organization of the Church, since Joseph Smith carried out its instructions on April 6, 1830. Joseph Smith’s history indicates that he and Oliver ordained each other on April 6 "according to previous commandment." 13

In their written accounts, most of which were produced for didactic purposes, many early members compressed all the events of priesthood restoration into a general reference to a visitation by a holy messenger or angel (documents 33-35, 39, 43-49, 51-52, 54-55, 59-62). Although a published revelation (document 4) referring to separate ministrations by John the Baptist and by Peter, James, and John was widely disseminated and readily available beginning in 1835, more details were circulated about the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood, probably because that authority was more immediately relevant to the issue of conversion and baptism. Under these circumstances, it is possible that some members regarded the restoration of the authority to baptize as the primary facet of priesthood restoration and therefore focused on that restoration in their teachings.

It is also likely that some writers focused on a single messenger’s role in the restoration of the priesthood in order to simplify the Restoration for hymns or missionary work, particularly when they desired to draw a parallel between the other angel mentioned in Rev. 14:6 and the Restoration of the gospel. Charles Thompson, for instance, borrowed heavily from John’s prophecy in Revelation when he wrote, "God sent an holy angel from the midst of heaven, with the Priesthood and authority of Jesus Christ, to preach the everlasting Gospel unto them who dwell on the earth, and to every nation, kindred, tongue and people" (document 52).

Statements by William McLellin (document 67) and David Patten (document 41) demonstrate that some members who had studied D&C 27 understood clearly that the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods were restored on separate occasions. Similarly, other missionaries and leaders including Brigham Young (document 69) and Reuben Miller (documents 65, 66) referred to two separate appearances in their sermons and writings.

The accounts by Joseph's and Oliver’s contemporaries show that early members arrived at different conclusions regarding the timing of the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood. In the 1880s, Everett calculated that it probably occurred in August 1829. Although William McLellin recognized the importance of Peter, James, and John’s visitation (document 67), he seems to trace the reception of the Melchizedek Priesthood to the ordination of Joseph and Oliver as elders on April 6, 1830 (document 68). Hiram Page, one of the Eight Book of Mormon Witnesses was convinced that Joseph and Oliver received the Melchizedek Priesthood from Peter, James, and John "before the 6th of april 1830" (document 70). Agreeing with Hiram Page, in 1853 and again in 1874, Brigham Young emphasized that Joseph Smith received apostolic power from Peter, James, and John prior to the organization of the Church. D. Michael Quinn’s reading of Brigham Young to the effect that "Peter, James, and John came to him [Joseph Smith] in Kirtland" omits key words and contextual information found in that discussion by President Young concerning several revelations regarding the priesthood. 14

Modern readers have also arrived at divergent conclusions regarding the timing of the Melchizedek Priesthood restoration and Joseph Smith’s early understanding of the distinction between the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods. Two recent interpretations are illustrative. Larry C. Porter, a professor of Church History and Doctrine at Brigham Young University, maintains that "the evidence suggests a date near the end of May 1829" and "certainly before the organization of the Church on 6 April 1830." 15 In support of this conclusion, Porter highlights the revelation received prior to June 14, 1829, and first printed in the "Articles of the Church of Christ" (documents 1, 3) that identifies Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer as apostles who are "called even with that same calling" as "Paul mine apostle." As evidence that this call to the apostleship included priesthood authority, Porter highlights the Prophet’s preface to a later publication of this revelation: "The following commandment will further illustrate the nature of our calling to this Priesthood, as well as that of others who were yet to be sought after" (document 14). Porter also notes that Joseph and Oliver conferred the gift of the Holy Ghost upon members of the Church on April 6, 1830, and assumes that they used the priesthood that they had received from Peter, James, and John to do so. Based on Joseph SmithÂ’s later recollections of instructions he had received in 1829 from John the Baptist, Porter infers that by April 1830 "Joseph Smith recognized the limitations of John’s power" 16 and thus would not have conferred the Holy Ghost on members unless he had already received the power to do so from Peter, James, and John. To support this view, Porter cites Joseph SmithÂ’s 1844 statement:

John’s mission was limited to preaching and baptizing; but what he did was legal; and when Jesus Christ came to any of John’s disciples, He baptized them with fire and the Holy Ghost.

We find the Apostles endowed with greater power than John.... John did not transcend his bounds, but faithfully performed that part belonging to his office. 17

Whereas Porter identifies the spring of 1829 as the time for the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood, free-lance historian D. Michael Quinn concludes that Joseph Smith did not receive the higher priesthood from Peter, James, and John until July 1830. 18 He acknowledges the 1829 reference to the calling of apostles (documents 1, 3), but he argues that the revelation merely likens Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer to Paul. Then, overlooking Pauls assertion in 1 Tim. 2:7, "I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not)," Quinn suggests that Paul may have been an unordained "charismatic apostle and special witness" 19 rather than an ordained apostle, citing the LDS Bible Dictionary for general support. Quinn argues that Cowdery and Whitmer as witnesses of the Book of Mormon were called apostles in that sense prior to 1830. 20 Quinn admits that elders were ordained as early as mid-1829, but he suggests that those ordinations and all confirmations prior to that time might have been performed solely on the basis of the revelation received in June 1829 instructing Joseph and Oliver to ordain each other (documents 13, 14). He suggests further that the ordinations carried out on April 6, 1830, were reordinations. 21

Quinn looks mainly to documents 9 and 16, and to the 1881 and 1882 Addison Everett accounts to support his conclusion that the Melchizedek Priesthood was formally restored by Peter, James, and John in July 1830. In document 9, Joseph Smith mentions the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood and the pouring out of the gift of the Holy Spirit upon the Church after referring to the Church's organization. Quinn infers that this document as well as document 16 (also found in D&C 128:20) are a chronological listing of events. But document 16 helps Quinn's case only if one assumes that one can date to June 1830 the event referred to in document 16 as "the voice of Michael on the banks of the Susquehanna, detecting the devil when he appeared as an angel of light." 22 While he acknowledges that the date specified by Everett for the restoration of the higher priesthood is 1829, Quinn notes that this date does not match the events that Everett described surrounding Joseph's arrest and court trial, which occurred in June and July 1830. Thus, for Quinn, Everett's account "seems to confirm the July 1830 date." 23

While Porter acknowledges the statements by Everett and believes that "Addison Everett was a man of veracity," he is more skeptical of Everett's statements because thirty-seven years had passed between the time that Everett heard the Prophet’s statements and the time that he recorded them, and because Everett admitted his limitations and "lack of technical skills" as a historian. Porter concludes that "portions of his [Everett’s] remembrance are inconsistent enough to warrant some obvious cautions when attempting to reconstruct the sequence of events surrounding the restoration process from his citations." 24

Conclusion

The fact that the historical record can be used to support different interpretations demonstrates how puzzling any fragmentary record of the past can be. Because Joseph and Oliver never identified a date for the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood, they left room for speculation about the date of that priesthoodÂ’s restoration. Further complicating the task is our inability using extant documents to determine with certainty Joseph Smith’s full understanding of the nature of the priesthood at the time of the Church's organization.

While the documentary record is fragmentary regarding the date for the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood, the record is extensive and rich in many other respects. It strongly shows that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery repeatedly testified that they received power from on high to perform ordinances, first from John the Baptist and then from Peter, James, and John. Their testimonies began early in Church documents and intensified as these first and second elders drew closer to their own impending deaths. The powerful thrust of these accounts, corroborated by numerous statements from other early members of the Church, is intellectually challenging and spiritually invigorating.

1. Articles of the Church of Christ (1829)

A commandment from God unto Oliver how he should build up his church & the manner thereof.... I command all men every where to repent & I speak unto you even as unto Paul mine apostle for ye are called even with that same calling with which he was called Now therefore whosoever repenteth & humbleth himself before me & desireth to be baptized in my name shall ye baptize them And after this manner did he command me that I should baptize them Behold ye shall go down & stand in the water & in my name shall ye baptize them And now behold these are the words which ye shall say calling them by name saying Having authority given me of Jesus Christ I baptize you. 25

2. D&C 20 ([1830]/April 1831)

The rise of the Church of Christ in these last days, being 1830 years since the coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in the flesh, it being regularly organized and established agreeable to the laws of our country, by the will and commandments of God, in the 4th month, and on the 6th day of the same, which commandments were given to Joseph Smith, jun. who was called of God and ordained an apostle of Jesus Christ, an elder of the church, and also to Oliver Cowdery, who was also called of God an apostle of Jesus Christ, an elder of the church, and ordained under his hand, and this according to the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, to whom be all glory both now and ever—amen. 26

3. D&C 18 ([June 1829]/1833)

And now Oliver, I speak unto you, and also unto David, by way of commandment: For behold I command all men every where to repent, and I speak unto you, even as unto Paul mine apostle, for you are called even with that same calling with which he was called. 27

4. D&C 27 ([september 1830]/1835)

...which John I have sent unto you, my servants, Joseph Smith, jr. and Oliver Cowdery, to ordain you unto this first priesthood which you have received, that you might be called and ordained even as Aaron.... And also with Peter, and James, and John, whom I have sent unto you, by whom I have ordained you and confirmed you to be apostles and especial witnesses of my name, and bear the keys of your ministry: and of the same things which I revealed unto them: unto whom I have committed the keys of my kingdom, and a dispensation of the gospel for the last times; and for the fulness of times. 28

5. Joseph Smith (1832)

A History of the life of Joseph Smith Jr. an account of his marvilous experience and of all the mighty acts which he doeth in the name of Jesus Chist the son of the living God of whom he beareth record and also an account of the rise of the church of Christ in the eve of time according as the Lord brought forth and established by his hand firstly he receiving the testamony from on high seccondly the ministering of Angels thirdly the reception of the holy Priesthood by the ministring of Aangels to adminster the letter of the Gospel—the Law and commandments as they were given unto him—and the ordinencs, forthly a confirmation and reception of the high Priesthood after the holy order of the son of the living God power and ordinence from on high to preach the Gospel in the administration and demonstration of the spirit the Kees of the Kingdom of God confered upon him and the continuation of the blessings of God to him &c. 29

6. Joseph Smith (March 2, 1833)

The following Curious occurrence occurred last week in Newburg about 6 miles from this Place [Cleveland, Ohio]. Joe Smith the great Mormonosity was there and held forth, and among other things he told them he had seen Jesus Christ and the Apostles and conversed with them, and that he could perform Miracles. 30

7. Joseph Smith ([December 18, 1833]/1835)

These blessings shall come upon him according to the blessings of the prophecy of Joseph, in ancient days, which he said should come upon the Seer of the last days and the Scribe that should sit with him, and that should be ordained with him, by the hand of the angel in the bush, unto the lesser priesthood, and after receive the holy priesthood under the hands of those who had been held in reserve for a long season, even those who received it under the hand of the Messiah while he should dwell in the flesh, upon the earth, and should receive the blessings with him, even the Seer of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saith he, even Joseph of old, by his hand, even God. And he shall inherit a crown of eternal life, at the end; and while in the flesh shall stand up in Zion and assist to crown the tribes of Jacob; even so. Amen. 31

8. Joseph Smith (February 12, 1834)

Thursday evening, February 12, 1834. This evening the high Priests and Elders of the Church in Kirtland at the house of bro. Joseph Smith Jun. in Council for Church business. The council was organized, and opened by bro. Joseph Smith Jun in prayer. Bro. Joseph then rose and said: I shall now endeavor to set forth before this council, the dignity of the office which has been conferred upon me by the ministring of the Angel of God, by his own will and by the voice of this Church. 32

9. Joseph Smith (April 21, 1834)

Norton Medina Co. Ohio April 21, 1834.... Bro. Joseph Smith Jun....then gave a relation of obtaining and translating the Book of Mormon, the revelation of the priesthood of Aaron, the organization of the Church in the year 1830, the revelation of the high priesthood, and the gift of the Holy Spirit poured out upon the Church, &c. Take away the book of Mormon, and the revelations, and where is our religion? We have none. 33

10. Joseph Smith (December 5, 1834)

The reader may further understand, that the reason why High Counsellor Cowdery was not previously ordained to the Presidency, was, in consequence of his necessary attendance in Zion, to assist Wm. W. Phelps in conducting the printing business; but that this promise was made by the angel while in company with President Smith, at the time they received the office of the lesser priesthood. 34

11. Joseph Smith (March 27, 1836)

Joseph Smith Jun. testified of the Angel of the LordÂ’s appearing unto him to call him to the work of the Lord, & also of being ordained under the hands of the Angel of of [sic] the covenant. 35

12. Joseph Smith (1839)

While we were thus employed, praying, and calling upon the Lord, a Messenger from heaven, descended in a cloud of light, and having laid his hands upon us, he ordained us, saying unto us; "Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministring of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, untill the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness." He said this Aaronic priesthood had not the power of laying on of hands, for the gift of the Holy Ghost, but that this should be conferred on us hereafter and he commanded us to go and be baptized, and gave us directions that I should baptize Oliver Cowdery, and afterward that he should baptize me.

Accordingly we went and were baptized, I baptized him first, and afterwards he baptized me, after which I laid my hands upon his head and ordained him to the Aaronick priesthood, and afterward he laid his hands on me and ordained me to the same priesthood, for so we were commanded. The messenger who visited us on this occasion and conferred this priesthood upon us said that his name was John, the same that is called John the Baptist, in the new Testament, and that he acted under the direction of Peter, James, and John, who held the keys of the priesthood of Melchisedeck,[whi[c]h priesthood he said should in due time be conferred on us. ...we were forced to keep secret the circumstances of our having been baptized, and having received the priesthood; owing to a spirit of persecution which had already manifested itself in the neighborhood. 36

13. Joseph Smith (1839—Draft)

We now became anxious to have that promise realized to us, which the angel that conferred upon us the Aaronick Priesthood had given us, viz, that provided we continued faithful, we should also have the Melchesidec Priesthood, which holds the authority of the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. We had for some time made this matter a subject of humble prayer, and at length we got together in the Chamber of Mr WhitmerÂ’s house in order more particularly to seek of the Lord information, and if possible obtain what we now so earnestly desired. After some time spent in solemn and fervent prayer, the word of the Lord came unto us, in the Chamber, commanding us, that I should ordain Oliver Cowdery to be an Elder in the Church of Jesus Christ, and that he also should ordain me to the same office, and that after having been thus ordained, we should proceed to ordain others to the same office, according as it should be made known unto us, from time to time, also commanding us, that as soon as practicable we should call together all those who had already been baptized by us, to bless bread, and break it with them, also to take wine, bless it, and drink it with them doing all these things in the name of the Lord, but to defer our own ordination untill we had called together our brethren and had their sanction, and been accepted by them as their teachers, after which we were commanded to proceed to ordain each other and call out such men as the spirit should dictate unto us, and ordain them, and then attend to the laying on of hands for the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

The following commandment [D&C 18] will further illustrate the nature of our calling to this Priesthood as well as others who were yet to be sought after. 37

14. Joseph Smith (1839)

We now became anxious to have that promise realized to us, which the Angel that conferred upon us the Aaronick Priesthood had given us, viz: that provided we continued faithful; we should also have the Melchesidec Priesthood, which holds the authority of the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. We had for some time made this matter a subject of humble prayer, and at length we got together in the Chamber of Mr WhitmerÂ’s house in order more particularly to seek of the Lord what we now so earnestly desired: and here to our unspeakable satisfaction did we realize the truth of the SaviourÂ’s promise; "Ask, and you shall recieve, seek, and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you;" for we had not long been engaged in solemn and fervent prayer, when the word of the Lord, came unto us in the Chamber, commanding us; that I should ordain Oliver Cowdery to be an Elder in the Church of Jesus Christ, And that he also should ordain me to the same office, accordin and then < ordain others as it should be made known unto us, from time to time: we were however commanded to defer this our ordination untill, such times, as it should be practicable to have our brethren, who had been and who should be baptized, assembled together, when we must have their sanction to our thus proceeding to ordain each other, and have them decide by vote whether they were willing to accept us as spiritual teachers, or not, when also we were commanded to bless bread and break it with them, and to take wine, bless it, and drink it with them, afterward proceed to ordain each other according to commandment, then call out such men as the Spirit should dictate, and ordain them, and then attend to the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost, upon all those whom we had previously baptized; doing all things in the name of the Lord.

The following commandment [D&C 18] will further illustrate the nature of our calling to this Priesthood as well as that of others who were yet to be sought after. 38

15. Joseph Smith (1839)

The Priesthood is everlasting. The Savior, Moses, & Elias—gave the Keys to Peter, James & John on the Mount when they were transfigured before him. The Priesthood is everlasting, without beginning of days or end of years, without Father, Mother &c,—

If there is no change of ordinances there is no change of Priesthood. Wherever the ordinances of the Gospel are administered there is the priesthood. How have we come at the priesthood in the last days? They it [sic] came down, down in regular succession. Peter James & John had it given to them & they gave it up. 39

16. Joseph Smith (September 6, 1842)

And again, what do we hear? Glad tidings from Cumorah! Moroni, an Angel from heaven, declaring the fulfilment of the prophets—the book to be revealed. A voice of the Lord in the wilderness of Fayette, Seneca county, declaring the three witnesses to bear record of the book. The voice of Michael on the banks of the Susquehanna, detecting the devil when he appeared as an angel of light. The voice of Peter, James, and John, in the wilderness between Harmony, Susquehanna county, and Colesville, Broom county, on the Susquehanna River, declaring themselves as possessing the keys of the kingdom, and of the dispensation of the fulness of times. And again, the voice of God in the chamber of old Father Whitmer, in Fayette, Seneca county, and at sundry times, and in divers places through all the travels and tribulation of this Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! And the voice of Michael, the archangel; the voice of Gabriel, and of Raphael, and of divers angels, from Michael or Adam down to the present time, all declaring their dispensation, their rights, their keys, their honors, their majesty and glory, and the power of their priesthood. 40

17. Joseph Smith (March 10, 1844)

Showing the difference between the Spirit of Elias, Elijah and the messiah. J Smith[P[rophet]. of the spirit of Elias I must go back to the time at Susquehannah river when I retired in the woods pouring out my soul in prayer to Almighty God. An Angel came down from heaven and laid his hands upon me and ordained me to the power of Elias and that authorised me to babtise with water unto repentance. It is a power or a preparatory work for something greater. you have not power to lay on hands for the gift of the holy ghost but you shall have power given you hereafter, that is the power of the Aronick preisthood. 41

18. Joseph Smith (March 10, 1844)

On Sunday March 10 Joseph the Priest delivered the following concernin the Spirits & Powers of Elias Elijah & of Messiah The power of Elias is not the power of Elijah related the vision of his ordination to the priesthood of Aaron on the Susquehannah river to preach the preparatory gospel. This said the Angel is the Spirit of Elias. 42

19. Joseph Smith (March 10, 1844)

I went into the woods to inquire of the Lord by prayer his will concerning me— & I saw an angel & he laid his hands upon my head & ordained me to be a priest after the order of Aaron & to hold the keys of this priesthood which office was to preach repentance & Baptism for the remission of sins & also to baptise but was informed that this office did not extend to the laying on of hands for the giving of the Holy Ghost that that office was a greater work & was to be given afterwards but that my ordination was a preparetory work or a going before which was the spirit of Elias for the spirit of Elias was a going before to prepare the way for the greater, which was the Case with John the Baptist. 43

20. Oliver Cowdery (November 16, 1830)

About two weeks since some persons came along here with the book, one of whom pretends to have seen Angels, and assisted in translating the plates. He proclaims destruction upon the world within a few years,—holds forth that the ordinances of the gospel, have not been regularly administered since the days of the Apostles, till the said Smith and himself commenced the work.... The name of the person here, who pretends to have a divine mission, and to have seen and conversed with Angels, is Cowdray. 44

21. Oliver Cowdery (December 7, 1830)

Mr. Oliver Cowdry has his commission directly from the God of Heaven, and that he has credentials, written and signed by the hand of Jesus Christ, with whom he has personally conversed, and as such, said Cowdry claims that he and his associates are the only persons on earth who are qualified to administer in his name. By this authority, they proclaim to the world, that all who do not believe their testimony, and be baptised by them for the remission of sins...must be forever miserable. 45

22. Oliver Cowdery (1834)

From his [Joseph SmithÂ’s] hand I received baptism, by the direction of the angel of God—the first received into this church, in this day.... On a sudden, as from the midst of eternity, the voice of the Redeemer spake peace to us, while the vail was parted and the angel of God came down clothed with glory, and delivered the anxiously looked for message, and the keys of the gospel of[repentance!...[O]ur eyes beheld—our ears heard.... We listened—we gazed—we admired! Â’Twas the voice of the angel from glory...we were rapt in the vision of the[Almighty!...[W]e received under [the angelÂ’s] hand the holy priesthood, as he said, "upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer this priesthood and this authority, which shall remain upon earth, that the sons of Levi may yet offer an offering unto the Lord in righteousness!"...The assurance that we were in the presence of an angel; the certainty that we heard the voice of Jesus, and the truth unsullied as it flowed from a pure personage, dictated by the will of God, is to me, past description. 46

23. Oliver Cowdery (February 21, 1835)

Brethren you have your duty presented in this revelation. You have been ordained to the Holy Priesthood. You have received it from those who had their power and authority from an angel. You are to preach the gospel to every nation. 47

I'm still wondering if we have an official (or even less than official) account of the circumstances surrounding Joseph Smith's receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost ordinance.

Rameumptom says something that was my best guess. I seem to recall that at the organization of the church, it mentions that the Holy Ghost was given to some in attendance, but it doesn't mention specifically who. Does anyone have any additional knowledge?

[p.s. I meant to post this under the Gospel Discussion forum rather than the General Discussion. If someone with authority feels that this would be more appropriate to have over there, go ahead and move it. Either way is fine with me.]

Hemidakota included some more information. I scanned through it, and there are some additonal hints/clues. I'll look at in more in depth later. There may not be a clear description of how, when, and by whom it happened (like we have with Joseph's and Oliver's baptism), and I'm okay with that. I still invite anyone who has additional info/insights to contribute.

Any additional clues, ideas, or references out there?

I've now read through all of the above comments. There was one which said, "previous to this, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery had baptized, confirmed and ordained each other to the office of an Elder." This was about the best evidence I could find, but then I noticed several places which referred to the idea of confirming to the priesthood, so I'm not so sure the above quote is referring to confirmation (i.e., receiving the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost) as we think of it. It may be referring to what we would now call "conferring" the priesthood.

Although I'm fishing for what information might be out there, I would also assume that the Gift of the Holy Ghost was given at the time that Peter, James, and John restored the Melchizedek priesthood, but with the following modification (remember, this is only my view):

Since Joseph and Oliver baptized each other after receiving the Aaronic priesthood authority, I wonder if they would have given the Gift of the Holy Ghost to each other after receiving the Melchizedek priesthood?

It seems to me that angels only perform ordinances or restore keys when there was no other authorized person available. But in the case of baptism, Joseph and Oliver were authorized and instructed on how to do it, which they did. I wonder if a similar thing happened with the baptism of fire?

They were authorized, probably received instructed, and after their baptism they said that they prophesied many things by the power of the Holy Ghost (therefore they already had experience with uttering inspired words via the Spirit).

I believe the Holy Ghost is a position, not a specific personage. Like 2nd Counselor in a Bishopric, the individual can be traded out as necessary. So, Joseph Smith COULD have been the Holy Ghost for a period of time, preparing himself in that position to be the head of our dispensation.

IMNSHO, Adam, Enoch, Noah, Abraham and others may also have had the experience for a time of performing as Holy Ghost, preparatory to their mortal experience as prophet.

This allows the Holy Ghost as a personage to remain a Spirit. If the day comes that the Holy Ghost gains a body, can he no longer perform His work (see D&C 130)? But if He doesn't gain a body, how does he ever receive a fullness of joy, given that it only comes from having a resurrected body?