What do I do????

lestertheemt

A bit of background: live in a rural area where the majority of the population is LDS.

Several times now I have been told by individuals that a group (a volunteer organization) that I am involved in hasn’t allowed participation/involvement from individuals that aren’t members of the church. In a nut shell this really bugs me! I don’t claim to be the perfect example of the church. I know my faults and my many issues, but I strongly believe that this blatantly wrong. It does not help the organization and it doesn’t give a great example of the church. I know, it’s the people that are at fault…but so many times people can’t see the difference between the person and the church. What should I do? Do I say something? Do I simply do nothing?

:confused::eek::confused:

Hidden

I think it depends on the situation. If it's a supposedly a non-denominational volunteer organization, and membership refusal is based on grounds of religious affiliation, then it seems to be wrong in principal and practice.

Are you in a position to do anything about it? Maybe you could lodge a complaint to the head honchos.a

I like what Lile had to say. Ask for the name of the interested party and go from there. It actually might just be that there's no interest from anyone who's not a member of the church. And if the person is interested and gets turned away, make sure to find out why and if it's for any reason that sounds shady call the head honcho's out on it.

I live in a rural area also, predominantly LDS. We have had this problem in the past within our Ward Boundaries. It still happens in other parts of the Valley.

The attitudes in our ward changed with time. One of the families who settled this area decided it wasn't right to exclude people because they were new move-ins. Yes, LDS or not, new move-ins were "the Others". :eek:

Then, it took a good Bishop becoming aware of the problem, talks and lessons on Sunday, and a membership that truly wants to be Christ-like. Also, some of the newbies started giving Community Parties which were so very successful. The Activities committee helped organize and some of the activities we've done are through the Ward Missionaries, but still we've gotten attendance at over 150 with many of our non-member neighbors.

Our Cub Scouting program now has 4 non-member boys in it. And they are more active and their parents are no longer afraid of Cub Scout meetings at the church. (That one was a struggle).

Anyway, I would suggest you bring your concerns to your Bishop or Stake leaders. Then model the behavior you want to see. Invite non-members to participate. Go get them. Welcome them when the come on their own. Be everyone's friend. Eventually, it will become "unfashionable" to exclude anyone.

Having bragged about my current ward, let me just say in some areas we still have problems. There is a group of women who meet every week to do handwork. A few others have mentioned they would like to participate and have been turned down (member or not). Also, if we're not in Relief Society on Sunday we don't know what's going on. . . sigh. . .

But. . .we're working on it.

Set the best example you can.

applepansy

I have lived in a few wards that have cliques and/or aren't as friendly as others. However, each of us as members have a responsiblity to welcome one and all into our fold. Therefore, even if we are the only ones doing it, we should always seek out visitors or new ward members, welcome them, assist them, make them feel comfortable. The same is true, for those who only come once in awhile. As leaders, we need to set the example and do everything within our power to make our wards and meetings a welcome place for any and all. Same advise for all Church functions. Many a member has felt rejected or not welcome and it always saddens me when I hear it.

Ive heard that about Utah if your not LDS you dont stand a chance of getting a job. Im LDS and I was told by my Aunt , her brother-in-law went on a interveiws with a hospital in Salt Lake they didnt want to start him out with any real money for his back gound so, he went to colorado and got hired starting out making 93,000.00. So I had to sit and listen to her put the LDS community in a bad light, and i didnt know weather or not it was true or not so, what was i supposed to say, except wow I hope not.

Well this confirms it i guess, Not good not good at all.

Also, to add to the area im in we dont have another LDS member anywhere around us for miles. Even in a city thats larger we share a ward with another community of LDS thats 20 miles away, it used to be that the Jackson ward would start at one time the Albion ward later that day but now they hold it together and it is very clicky but I dont care if I hang with other church members not really.

Edited by jolee65

Ive heard that about Utah if your not LDS you dont stand a chance of getting a job. Im LDS and I was told by my Aunt , her brother-in-law went on a interveiws with a hospital in Salt Lake they didnt want to start him out with any real money for his back gound so, he went to colorado and got hired starting out making 93,000.00. So I had to sit and listen to her put the LDS community in a bad light, and i didnt know weather or not it was true or not so, what was i supposed to say, except wow I hope not.

I don't believe this is true. I know many non members here with jobs, high paying executive jobs. What I found when I was working (at a large medical facility), that many people moving here were looking for Utah's lower cost of living and "great place to raise a family", but were upset at the other side of the coin, lower wages.

IMHO,

applepansy