Organized Inspiration

lusciouschaos

This might seem a little strange to bear testimony about the organizational structure of the church but hear me out...

Yesterday I attended an advisory board meeting for our local foodbank. There were ten or so major church organizations represented by their pastors and charitable leaders. The representative from the local Catholic congregation asked how the pastors are identifying those with needs inside their own church. In this time of economic chaos, many are seriously hurting but perhaps too embarrassed to talk to their ecclesiastical leader.

One indicated that they are listening for clues of need with the children in Sunday School.

It struck me so powerfully. When the system works a visiting or home teacher would be aware of job loss or family tragedy. Not seeking to be intrusive but with real concern the VT or HT could make the member aware of the resources available and how to access them.

Many have a problem with the geographic requirements to attend the ward where you live. I understand this because as wards change and split, it is hard to leave friends and start over.

When my husband and I first married we lived in the ward where President Hinckley raised his family (east millcreek). When we moved it took us a couple of weeks to fully transition as we were sending off a son on a mission and he wanted to leave from the ward he knew. The bishop of the new ward called us in and read to us from the handbook about attending the ward you live in. We were annoyed at the time.

Today, here in Californiz, I see the beauty in the plan. We are able to mobilize in a way that others dream of because we know where our members live and have the structure to support the needs.

This seems sort of long winded but it put me to wondering when the ward concept introduced. So I look to you church scholars: I know Stakes of Zion were implemented quite early on but when was the whole ward structure put into effect?

This is part of the church not necessarily part of the Gospel but I am grateful nonetheless and see the genius in this organized religion.

Also be interested in hearing how you feel the organization of the church impacts the gospel?

Edited by lusciouschaos
added question

Also be interested in hearing how you feel the organization of the church impacts the gospel?

I have found that it has helped me learn who my Mormon neighbors are. Before I started going to Church, I only knew my non-mormon neighbors. Being part of a ward in Utah allows you to bridge that great divide. Getting to know my Mormon neighbors has enriched my life and attending the ward has enriched my understanding of the Gospel.

This seems sort of long winded but it put me to wondering when the ward concept introduced. So I look to you church scholars: I know Stakes of Zion were implemented quite early on but when was the whole ward structure put into effect?

History of Wards

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/basic/organization/ward_eom.htm

Other interesting links:

http://adventures-in-mormonism.com/2009/02/04/lds-history-and-organization-a-cautionary-tale-from-the-catholics/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stake_(Mormonism)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Organizational_subdivisions_of_The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_(LDS_Church)

Sister Elphaba

she is serving in the mission of Liberals and Atheists in Liberal Kansas Mission...

'Tis true. What Pale neglected to disclose is he is my first golden investigator.

So, are we still on for the next discussion? Are you cooking me dinner?

:wub:

Elphaba the Wicked Liberal Atheist of the West, formerly of Kansas, now residing in her air conditioner.

I'd do what she says, because she has the power of the profundus.

(Don't tell her every single thread on here eventually devolves to non-profundity. I know, because I looked it up.)

Shutting up because she scares me.

Elphs

I am trying to imagine a Liberal shutting up......wonder what that would be like....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay, I get it, I give up. It appears that being a junior member, I must pay my dues. You oldtimers must have buttons and emoticons not enjoyed by the newbies. Although, I would say I am somewhat reminded of the organization structure of the church. Think junior and senior companions, etc. Please discuss amongst yourselves (old SNL).