Calling all Converts!

mandarin

...specifically younger 20-somethings, though older converts may have run into this as well.

I'm currently investigating the Church & have a tentative baptism date of April 5th. I've been interested in the Church for over 5 years, but haven't been looking into converting until recently. My main dilemma is how my parents will react. I grew up in a home that was devoutly Methodist. We went to Church every Sunday regardless of how late we were up the night before with prom/coming back into town/whatever and Church was always highly revered in my family. My father's family is also Southern Baptist, my grandfather and great uncle being ministers and my uncle just being incredibly conservative. If I do decide to get baptized into the church, I'm unsure of how to tell my family. I've shared stories about LDS happenings with my sister who would reply, "That's cool. But don't become Mormon." Before I knew about the Church I once told my mother, "The Mormons kind of scare me." To which she replied, "Good. They should." Ha. Awesome.

SO, if you are a convert who had to tell your parents, how did it go? What did you say? And do you have any advice to make it go more smoothly? I'd really love to hear all about it.

Well, My wife is a convert, and her entire family is "Whip-you" Catholic.

She told her family and her mother flipped out, as was to be expected. however, after she did convert, things went back to normal in thier family.

And recently her dad sent us a text message telling her how proud he is of our family and they notice how much our life has improved since we got married. I know they see the impact the gospel has had on our life and it will serve as an example to them.

I cannot tell you what your family will do, but they are your family, just love them for who they are. It is not your fault because of thier predjudice.

do not deny yourself eternal blessings because those around you are mocking and pointing fingers, it is just as lehi's vision. in 1st Nephi.

As an investegator I had some opposition from my parents, my dad didn't want any mormons in the house so I had to take the talks with the missionaries outside on the steps of the apartments, my mom told me it was a cult. 5 years later and now my parents are taking the disussions. It took me a long time of teaching and then after pushing really hard for about a year I backed off and just started doing my thing, they told me that they saw a huge change in me. Personally I think that ultimately like most decisions in life you have to do it for yourself then good things will happen and you will learn more about yourself and the world around you giving you great perspective on future situations that will arise.

I don't really know what to tell you, except I'm kinda in the same position. The only thing really holding me back from going to church all-out is that I know my family will completely flip. They have stated repeatedly that it would be something they could not tolerate. Its a tough position to be in.

Does your family know Jesus? I do not understand why being closer to Jesus is so wrong. Do not worry about your family. Follow the Spirit. Do what the spirit tells you is right, Jim

No. They do not. Thats basically the issue, at least for me I cant speak for the original poster.

For you this is not an issue about being LDS or any other religion. The most important thing is to see the light. The light is the life of men and it important for your family to believe in the savior, in Jesus. I have issues with members of my own family being agnostic so I know what you are going through. You are lucky that you have Jesus in your heart and with the love that Jesus has shown you, maybe you can extend some love to your family so that they too may see the light. You can throw the seeds but they must see the light. Good luck with your choice of religion and do not let your family keep you from what your heart and spirit guide you to doing. God Bless, Jim

Mandarin, we are having similar issues. Except for me it is my in-laws and my hubby. Good luck. I am thinking I am going to base the discussion about faith and when the fingers get pointed about the so called falicies in the LDS church say that it is faith and you can't really argue with faith. Many people who examine the LDS church harshly would never look at their own church with the same harshness.

So true!! I actually attended Church for the first time this morning and absolutely loved the man who taught the Gospel Principles class, an old Bishop. He began the class acknowledging that people may try to get you to stay away from the "cult church" or tell us that they're not really Christians. He said, "Simply point out that it's the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We follow Jesus Christ, therefore we are Christians. And move on. We don't debate." It was so refreshing. He was a convert over 25 years ago when he was in his thirties and obviously had been in our position before. His dad was Catholic and mother was Lutheran, but he said that we can't even let our families keep us away from the love of Christ. We must have devotion to him above our families because while they are given by God and precious blessings, He created us and gave us life. Sometimes it's hard to choose, but I believe that in choosing to follow Christ, the family will come around once we become better people through the Restored Gospel, as everyone who replied here has said. Keep me updated on your situation! I'd love to have a friend who is going through the same thing right now. :)

I was lucky enough to be raised by parents who greatly respect the fact that I'm an adult human being and can work out my faith and salvation as I choose... They were a little surprised at first since they're both devout (yet inactive, however that works -- ask my mom) Catholics. But they were really okay with it and supported my decision... Though my extended family and my Catholic godparents refused to attend my wedding reception after I was sealed in the temple... But I've never had a very close relationship with them anyway...

Just go for it! A lot of people face being kicked out of the house, disowned, and various horrible things of that nature for the sake of embracing the Gospel of Christ. If you family is really the devout Christians that they sound like, I would expect them to be far from disowning you... Though I would also be expecting and preparing to refute a HUGE amount of anti-Mormon material and efforts even in your own home to save you from Christ LOL.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Before I knew about the Church I once told my mother, "The Mormons kind of scare me." To which she replied, "Good. They should." Ha. Awesome.

Well I can't speak as a convert- but I can speak of having two different Christian denominations in my family, incl. my husband. So- it seems that your mother's response is more toward "not wanting you to break tradition." (and fear that stems from the unknown). However, both are temporal when she sees your happiness. :)