Prayers For Nick

Lindy

SF's son Nick is going in for extensive surgery tomorrow for additional repair work for damage done from that horrible accident last July. He's had a blessing, but extra prayers and positive thoughts for him would not hurt either. ;)

For those who have been so kind to my family, here is an update.

Today has been a very long but productive day… We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. and they began prepping Nick for surgery. He entered the operating room about 7:30 and he were able to meet with the doctor about 2:00 p.m. The surgery was a success! Nick is now resting in his room for the night. He currently has a rapid heartbeat and a slight fever. They tell me that it is no surprise with all that he has been through. Thank you for all of your prayers and support.

Thanks for caring. :)

The thing that hurts him the most right now is his hip where they did the bone graph.

It is at these times that the strong emotions I have about the employers negligence in training come to surface. :angry: Seeing my child in pain because of this really stinks.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Feb 3 2005, 10:04 AM

It is at these times that the strong emotions I have about the employers negligence in training come to surface. :angry: Seeing my child in pain because of this really stinks.

I'm just pondering what I would do in your situation (this is not advice--just my thoughts.) I hate what some greedy people (and their lawyers) have done to our insurance rates, and medical costs, BUT--if there ever was a case to sue big, I'd say it was this one. A business putting a child in this kind of danger because of their failure to properly train their employees to use dangerous equipment is BIGTIME wrong. I'm sure they are sorry and feel terrible, but I'd be getting a good attorney. (and I've never sued anyone in my life.)

Originally posted by curvette+Feb 3 2005, 11:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Feb 3 2005, 11:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Strawberry Fields@Feb 3 2005, 10:04 AM

I'm just pondering what I would do in your situation (this is not advice--just my thoughts.) I hate what some greedy people (and their lawyers) have done to our insurance rates, and medical costs, BUT--if there ever was a case to sue big, I'd say it was this one. A business putting a child in this kind of danger because of their failure to properly train their employees to use dangerous equipment is BIGTIME wrong. I'm sure they are sorry and feel terrible, but I'd be getting a good attorney. (and I've never sued anyone in my life.)

Thanks and I agree. We are looking into the possibilities with product liability, but the employer is VERY protected by workers comp.

I have never sued anyone either. The employer is a great man as a human being, but he seriously failed Nick and our family as an employer.

Originally posted by Amillia@Feb 4 2005, 12:34 PM

I don't let the anger engulf you. If you do seek a lawyer, out of necessity (understandably so) don't let the anger engulf you or you will lose more than you already have.

I am still praying for all of you. God bless.

I am not sure what you mean about the anger.

What I feel bad about is the lack of justice here. Because they were lax in their training methods Nick will live with a traumatic brain injury for the rest of his life. He will have to endure more surgeries and worry about infections. An infection to the plate in his head could go directly to his brain. Although Nick is very blessed to be alive, he is a changed young man in many aspects of his life.

I am working at making the lack of training to be something that is against the law. Currently no formal training is required to work at that machine. Most tire shops, which I checked with, require training and or certification before a new employee is allowed to work on this machine. The company that employed my son gave very casual training. I personally believe that I have done a very good job at keeping anger in check. To me anger is a non productive emotion and that is the reason why I am looking to make a change for other tire shop workers.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Feb 4 2005, 08:28 PM

What I feel bad about is the lack of justice here. Because they were lax in their training methods Nick will live with a traumatic brain injury for the rest of his life. He will have to endure more surgeries and worry about infections. An infection to the plate in his head could go directly to his brain. Although Nick is very blessed to be alive, he is a changed young man in many aspects of his life.

I am working at making the lack of training to be something that is against the law. Currently no formal training is required to work at that machine. Most tire shops, which I checked with, require training and or certification before a new employee is allowed to work on this machine. The company that employed my son gave very casual training. I personally believe that I have done a very good job at keeping anger in check. To me anger is a non productive emotion and that is the reason why I am looking to make a change for other tire shop workers.

Any mother with a heart would be angry about what happened. It sounds like you are working through it in a very constructive, healthy way.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Feb 4 2005, 09:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Feb 4 2005, 09:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Feb 4 2005, 12:34 PM

I don't let the anger engulf you. If you do seek a lawyer, out of necessity (understandably so) don't let the anger engulf you or you will lose more than you already have.

I am still praying for all of you. God bless.

I am glad to hear you are doing something constructive. I didn't mean to offend or insinuate that you shouldn't be angry. I just would hope it didn't take you over. ~ it seems that you have it well in hand. :)