Children And Accountability

Traveler

Originally posted by Snow+Mar 6 2005, 06:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Mar 6 2005, 06:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Amillia@Mar 4 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by -Snow@Mar 4 2005, 11:12 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Mar 4 2005, 09:38 AM

This discussion reminds me of one of my first trips to Japan.  While traveling in the countryside I noticed vending machine after vending machine that sold beer open to the public.  I ask my host if children were allowed to drink beer.  They informed me that it is forbidden for children to drink beer.  I then asked how they kept children from obtaining beer from the vending machines.  They looked at me as though I was stupid and did not understand anything and said, “It is against the law.”

We train our children differently in the USA.  Not just as parents but as a society.

The Traveler

I wonder why it is that Japan doesn't invent squat while the US is the creative engine that drives world technological and cultural creation.

You are kidding right? :o Cause that just isn't true.

It's absolutely true. There is no doubt that it is true.

Japanese invent nothing and with the exception of cheap animated cartoon, create no world adopted culture.

I agree with Snow - the German scientist and inventers in the USA are better than the German Scientist and inventers in Japan.

However, we cannot say the same for our teachers or educational system or manufacturing

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Mar 10 2005, 07:56 AM

I agree with Snow - the German scientist and inventers in the USA are better than the German Scientist and inventers in Japan.

However, we cannot say the same for our teachers or educational system or manufacturing

The Traveler

The Japanese were notoriously awful at manufacturing. In fact it was American manufacturing that won WW II. While the Japanese were churning out planes and such by the boat load, they were all cheap garbage. The Germans turned out the highest quality hardware but it was such high quality that they couldn't make that much. It was American manufacturing aided by mathmatical statistical analysis and quality control that turned out ample planes, ships and tanks of good quality - the right mix of quantity and quality to win the war.

It wasn't until the post war rebuilding of Japan were American math professors and industry experts went to Japan and taught them American principles that Japan was able to take it and run with it.

And, say what you want about American teachers (and I agree) but it is the American system that continues to crank out the world leaders and beaters of invention and creativity.

Guest TheProudDuck

Snow -- Fascinating subject.

Interestingly, the Germans, though their military equipment in WWII was superior in almost every respect to everyone elses', they lagged horribly in aircraft design, while the Americans excelled. The P-51 Mustang was the best piston-engined fighter of the war by a country mile; the German FW-190 was the only one in the same league, and as you pointed out, the Germans could never produce enough of them to stay competitive. (Same with the Me-262 jet at the end of the war.)

As for ground equipment, though, the inferiority of American equipment to German was nothing short of criminal. You think Donald Rumsfeld is catching heat for the Defense Department's sluggishness in adding armor to Humvees -- consider what flak he'd be catching if he, instead of George Marshall, had sent thin-skinned Sherman tanks up against German Panthers and Tigers, which was like sending me one-on-one with Shaq.

I agree about Japanese equipment -- the Zero had a reputation all out of proportion to its abilities. Sure, it was maneuverable. Build any plane out of tinfoil and soda straws and arm it with a popgun and of course it'll be lightweight and maneuverable. It will also be blown into very tiny pieces the second someone hits it -- which is why American P-38 pilots used to not even bother with dogfights, but just attack Zeros head-on, confident that the enemy planes would be shot to pieces long before their own planes took much damage at all.

Originally posted by pushka+Mar 7 2005, 07:10 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pushka @ Mar 7 2005, 07:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Mar 6 2005, 11:22 PM

Come one Amillia, don't make me wait all day. What did they invent?

Cigarette lighter? (no)

Japanese inventions!!!!

You gotta be kidding, right???? :D

I think Amillia is trying to confess to having a sense of humour after all. ;)

M.