I'm not Mormon

Dawnforge

I think the subject is, would the couple be able to be sealed to one another after death if the husband never joined the church. I've seem some information posted here that I think says no (I'm not up to par today), but I think I have a different take on it.

Women who had more than one husband in their lifetimes are now allowed to be sealed too all of them once everyone has passed on. The idea being she will then choose the man she wants to spend eternity with.

I've never seen a caveat that this only applied if all spouse were LDS, and I don't think that's the case.

I think the understanding is the person will accept the gospel after death, and then be babitized by proxy. At that point the couple would be able to be selaed together, again my proxy.

Just my take,

Elphaba

Women can be sealed to their deceased spouses ... however since we leave here with what we have learned and our attitudes intact it is just possible that even after seeing the otherside things still won't change. Single women will still have the choice on the other side to make the covenants that will get us where we want to be provided we live worthy.

But my girlfriend is.

Does she not know enough to answer my questions? Does she think if she tells me more that I might get scared and run away?

Yes, the answer is absolutely yes. We, of course, know your girlfriend well and so speak from experience.

Edited by Snow

Oh man, I'm going to have to go see the Bishop tomorrow. Because, this seriously bothers me. SERIOUSLY.

1) In my old ward, the president of the EQ and the president of the RS were sealed with 5 children. They got divorced. They never loved each other. They got married because they were "good members of the church".

2)I just couldn't see how my husband would have been better off with an LDS woman. Just couldn't.

And I'm teaching my kids to find their lifemate... even if the girl happens to be Catholic!

1)I'm not quite sure what that means. However I seriously doubt you comprehend the relationship in its entirety between these two individuals. Unless both of them have spoken to you directly and together I wouldn't trust anything you hear in the "hen house" a.k.a. RS.

2)Spoken like a loving wife. Both the above quotes seem to lead that you think there is only one person for everyone? I believed in Disney movies also when I was a kid.:o

Women who had more than one husband in their lifetimes are now allowed to be sealed too all of them once everyone has passed on. The idea being she will then choose the man she wants to spend eternity with.

I'm left wondering what happens to the dude in this scenario... lonely and hurt for 'time and eternity'?

1)I'm not quite sure what that means. However I seriously doubt you comprehend the relationship in its entirety between these two individuals. Unless both of them have spoken to you directly and together I wouldn't trust anything you hear in the "hen house" a.k.a. RS.

2)Spoken like a loving wife. Both the above quotes seem to lead that you think there is only one person for everyone? I believed in Disney movies also when I was a kid.:o

1.) Yes, I know them personally. Both are now married to other people - she married another LDS divorcee and they're happy, he married a non-member who eventually became a member a few years later and they're happy as well, further attesting to the fact that marrying a non-member does not make you fall off the wayside.

2.) No, I don't believe that there is ONLY one person for everyone. But, I believe that in a sea of choices, I am the BEST one and he is the BEST one for me as well. We edify each other, hence leading to him magnifying his testimony and my becoming LDS. So, if you're saying that you should bypass the person that you truly loved for a 2nd choice just because the 2nd choice happens to be LDS... what does that make Catholic me? Sub-standard? And, were it not for my husband, I wouldn't have, even in a million years, thought of seeking out LDS, then I would have been denied celestial glory.

Sorry, but, I still find this really disturbing.

And yes, I still enjoy Disney princesses. The problem with people who don't believe in THE ONE is that when the going gets rough with the first, they easily give up and start looking for the next guy on the line.

Edited by anatess

1.) Yes, I know them personally. Both are now married to other people - she married another LDS divorcee and they're happy, he married a non-member who eventually became a member a few years later and they're happy as well, further attesting to the fact that marrying a non-member does not make you fall off the wayside.

2.) No, I don't believe that there is ONLY one person for everyone. But, I believe that in a sea of choices, I am the BEST one and he is the BEST one for me as well. We edify each other, hence leading to him magnifying his testimony and my becoming LDS. So, if you're saying that you should bypass the person that you truly loved for a 2nd choice just because the 2nd choice happens to be LDS... what does that make Catholic me? Sub-standard? And, were it not for my husband, I wouldn't have, even in a million years, thought of seeking out LDS, then I would have been denied celestial glory.

Sorry, but, I still find this really disturbing.

And yes, I still enjoy Disney princesses. The problem with people who don't believe in THE ONE is that when the going gets rough with the first, they easily give up and start looking for the next guy on the line.

1. I wasn't leading to this. My mother is a convert after the marriage.

2. I wasn't saying that either regarding bypassing one for another. The way I read your comment was that you two are the only people meant for him. That is fine. The "Best one for me and best one for him" though is a matter of perspective. One could say your courtship/relationship was a bi-product of geographic location, social construction and availability at the time considering there were literally billions of people for him to choose from if he had the time to search them all out.

3. Disney is a farce and Walt was indeed a Marxist. Watch any old disney movie with the original characters and you can see the innuendos starting with goofy's "The world owes me a living" song.

The main thing about the sealings done in the temple, is that they seal us to the Celestial family of God, and give us the right to receive all the blessings of exaltation.

As for the EQ and RS presidents marrying and then divorcing because they "didn't love each other", I find that a cop-out. While love is often viewed as an emotion that just hits us (or doesn't), Christ-like love is not that way. It is a choice. Alma told Shiblon to guard his passions "that ye may be filled with love." When Jesus said, "love one another", it wasn't a request, but a commandment. This suggests it is something within our ability to choose.

But most of us are stuck on romantic love, and when the physical attraction and romance seem to end, we "fall out of love." That isn't love. That is a chemical reaction going on in the body. True love is a choice.

And if we truly love our God and spouse, we will seek to actively develop a loving relationship with both, changing whatever is righteously needed in our own lives to make those relationships work well.

Temporal marriage, or "till death do you part" is not evil. It is good. But the fact is, there is a point where the good is sometimes the enemy of the best. In this we see that Celestial Marriage is best, as it is what is fully ordained of God and is designed to give the highest form of glory and blessing to those who accept it.

I think that grace is not an all or nothing thing. If one rejects a command here, but then accepts it in the Spirit World, I think they will at least get partial credit/grace for it. Whether they get the full credit is up to God.

As it is, how do we know if a person actually has had a fair opportunity to hear and accept a gospel concept? If a person says, "no" to the missionaries at the door without letting them in or hearing anything, and then die a day later, have they forever lost their chance for exaltation?

How about if they've received the first few discussions and say they aren't interested, and have not yet felt the Spirit? Are they then not eligible for a second chance in the Spirit world?

Or the young member who goes to college and whose professors teach him that there can't be a god of any kind, and so he confusedly goes inactive. Is he responsible for not going to the temple and being sealed there?

I'm glad God gets to decide, and not me.

QUOTE]

Not marrying a member of the church does not mean that one falls by the wayside. Marriage is a good thing and is suffering greatly in our society today. The concern with marrying out side the temple is that when it comes down to the "til death us do part" time it is really over. How awful to love someone so much and then having to hope that maybe they will accept on the otherside. Even if their work is done and the sealing done they still haev to change and accept it. And then there is the question that if they have watched their LDS spouse live the gospel all their married life and seen the good it does a person and still chose not to accept how is their attitude on the other side going to be any different? It's isn't going to be some big epiphany when we cross over. We are who we are. And then there's the fact the Lord will not strive with us forever. He will give us as many chances as He can but it won't go on and on and on until we get it right ... sooner or later it will be too late to accept and make the choice.

Hel. 13: 38

38 But behold, your days of probation are past; ye have procrastinated the day of your salvation until it is everlastingly too late,

I had to make the choice once and I decided that if he didn't love me enough to take me to the temple (he was LDS) ... well for me at least it just wasn't good enough.

Women can be sealed to their deceased spouses ... however since we leave here with what we have learned and our attitudes intact it is just possible that even after seeing the otherside things still won't change.

I see your point. No one ever sees things differently from the outside. :rolleyes:

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

I'm left wondering what happens to the dude in this scenario... lonely and hurt for 'time and eternity'?

I've wondered the same myself.

The answer to these things is ususally "it will all be worked out by God," or something to that effect. I suppose the same holds true for the spurned husbands.

I am an ex-member, so I don't have the answer. I just know the logistics of temple proxy sealings via my LDS mother who is a genius at geneaology.

Elphaba

I think that grace is not an all or nothing thing. If one rejects a command here, but then accepts it in the Spirit World, I think they will at least get partial credit/grace for it. Whether they get the full credit is up to God.

As it is, how do we know if a person actually has had a fair opportunity to hear and accept a gospel concept? If a person says, "no" to the missionaries at the door without letting them in or hearing anything, and then die a day later, have they forever lost their chance for exaltation?

How about if they've received the first few discussions and say they aren't interested, and have not yet felt the Spirit? Are they then not eligible for a second chance in the Spirit world?

Or the young member who goes to college and whose professors teach him that there can't be a god of any kind, and so he confusedly goes inactive. Is he responsible for not going to the temple and being sealed there?

I'm glad God gets to decide, and not me.

Yes but not entering into the same with those who choosed to endure mortality. They shall receive there just reward.