What Next? The Niv Bom?

Snow

So I was just at Barnes and Noble weighing out my next purchase. (I buy books by the pound now - topics are only of secondary import). The Barnes and Nobles here usually have a shelf or two of LDS books. The selection today had two anti-books, a couple critical, non-polemical books and half a dozen regular LDS selctions but interestingly there was the Revised Authorized Version of the BoM, by the Community of Christ Church. One of our RLDS friend can better address what it is but apparently it is a revision to the BoM based upon the original printer's manuscript and the 1838 Kirtland edition. It was a cheap production, $4.95, but it is wierd to see a BoM in a regular bookstore much less a Revised Authorized BoM. Rock on!

The Revised Authorized Version (the one I refer to as the Unauthorized Version) was first published in 1966, and is affectionately called the "1966 Version" or the "readers version". It actually had nothing to do with the manuscripts. The committee that did it went through and removed all of the "and it came to pass(es)" unless a significant period of time had come to pass, and a few of the other redundancies. It also ambiguized some of the passages, I know of one (because I had read a discussion on it) but cannot provide the reference at this point in time.

Once my husband and I were at a Christian bookstore and we said "Do you have any books about Mormons?" and he said "Oh yeah, plenty" and he took us to the Anti-Mormon shelf. Was quite the fun time :) It is good to see something like that. At least the entire selection wasn't Anti.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Tr2@Feb 10 2004, 08:49 AM

At least the entire selection wasn't Anti.

The most anit-mormon literature I've ever read was nothing more than the complete history of the LDS church. History is not the friend of the mormon.
Truth is always the friend of the true church.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Tr2@Feb 10 2004, 09:30 AM

Truth is always the friend of the true church.

Can you show me some examples?
Truth validates truth...if the church is true, it is validated.

Ne. 14: 10

10 And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth.

The pure in heart are members of the true church. The pure in heart have nothing to hide and have enough compassion to understand and accept the weaknesses of men.

Originally posted by Jenda@Feb 9 2004, 10:54 PM

The Revised Authorized Version (the one I refer to as the Unauthorized Version) was first published in 1966, and is affectionately called the "1966 Version" or the "readers version". It actually had nothing to do with the manuscripts......

Jenda - That is very interesting. What do you mean by the manuscripts?

M.

Truth validate truth...if the church is true, it is validated.

10 And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth.

The pure in heart are members of the true church. The pure in heart have nothing to hide and have enough compassion to understand and accept the weaknesses of men.

I asked for examples, not Joseph Smith's writings about who the whore of the earth is.

Originally posted by Maureen+Feb 10 2004, 10:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Feb 10 2004, 10:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Feb 9 2004, 10:54 PM

The Revised Authorized Version (the one I refer to as the Unauthorized Version) was first published in 1966, and is affectionately called the "1966 Version" or the "readers version".  It actually had nothing to do with the manuscripts......

Jenda - That is very interesting. What do you mean by the manuscripts?

M.

I mean that when they put together that version, they did not consult the original manuscript or the printers manuscript.

There is another edition that has been developed and printed by an outside individual (not related to either church (the individual is a member of the RLDS church, but the church was not involved in the publishing)) where both the original manuscript and the printers manuscript were consulted and changes made to harmonize with those manuscripts. It is called the Restored Covenant Edition. It keeps the RLDS versification because the LDS changed the versification from the original printing.

IMO, the Revised Authorized Version is unauthorized in the most important way. It is definitely not Spirit-produced.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Tr2@Feb 10 2004, 10:41 AM

Truth validate truth...if the church is true, it is validated.

I asked for examples, not Joseph Smith's writings about who the whore of the earth is.
I don't know what you mean by examples....could you give me an example of what exactly you mean, to get me started?