Steps to become an LDS Member

JPL1234

I need an underststanding of the order in which things are to be done to become a member.

First, obviously educate yourself and accept Christ/The Book of Mormon, etc.....

(do you have to have a "testimony at this time or when?".

Second - the missionaries come to give their talks

Baptism???

WOW - is that mandatory only after Baptism or only if you want a temple recommend?

Tithing - again is this after Baptism or only after being sealed in the temple...

I know garments only come after the temple...but when do you go to the temple after the Baptism????

Is there some sort of list????

First you need to accept that Jesus is the Savior and Joseph Smith is a prophet. That's your first testimony. It might help to talk to the missionaries to get a better understanding of what that means. Then you get baptized. Don't worry about the rest until after you get baptized. That step is big enough as it is. After that, come back and ask more questions... but chances are, you're going to get the answers to these questions after attending Gospel Principles classes every Sunday.

It's not as complex as it might seem, JPL1234. It has been a pretty simple process for me, so I wouldn't worry that it is difficult by any means. I can now participate in sacrament fully and also tithe what I can. My tithing varies as my husband is a member of another church, and I am a stay at home mom. I personally feel that is between you and Heavenly Father and how the Holy Spirit guides you. But that's just my opinion.

I really enjoy the Gospel Principal class, and have made some great friends in there. You'll learn a lot and are welcome to ask as many questions as you want in this class.

I've done some family research at church and it is really interesting and fun. You might really enjoy that, I know I did! I still have some time before attending the temple, but I have some great friends at church who are anticipating helping me when that day comes.

In my experience it has been life changing. :)

I need an underststanding of the order in which things are to be done to become a member.

First, obviously educate yourself and accept Christ/The Book of Mormon, etc.....

(do you have to have a "testimony at this time or when?".

Baptism???

WOW - is that mandatory only after Baptism or only if you want a temple recommend?

Tithing - again is this after Baptism or only after being sealed in the temple...

I know garments only come after the temple...but when do you go to the temple after the Baptism????

Is there some sort of list????

JPL:

There is no list. The most important element of the process is to truly be converted. You must receive thru the Spirit the truth and the reality of the things you are about to learn. Without that certainty there is no conversion. Talk to the missionaries for that is their task. They are there to seek and find those who are looking for the truth and they will teach you the things that you need to know and get you on the road to baptism.

No worries and I hope you find what you are looking for.

I would say you should KNOW about Jesus Christ, I don’t even know if you need to accept him yet. The book of mormon is a good head start, but again not really the first step.

The first step would be to Know there is a God, the he loves us (we have faith in this person) and that you know or have prayed to him. Next would be at least read through the bible, believe that it is scripture, that it teaches us about Jesus Christ.

This is where the testimony part starts. This is where the book of mormon reading would start and learning process of the LDS church keeps growing. This is where you pray for guidance that you can find the truth.

Baptism

During the lessons (pretty early on) you then make the choice if you want to get baptized and keep progressing. This actually usually happens even before all the “lessons” are given. You come to know that Jesus is the Christ, Joseph Smith is a prophet (Restored the church and the priesthood), and that the book of mormon is true!

Once you know this, then you know where God’s true church is. You then desire to join the fold of God.

After you are taught about the Word of Wisdom you are then challenged from that point on to live the word of wisdom. That is just the start, meaning you start the process of quick drinking or smoking or whatever. But it happens from the time you really learn about it, not when you are baptized. You pretty much have to stop smoking and drinking before you are baptized.

Again you are committed to live this, but you only start paying tithing once you are a member. But you have agreed to start it before you are baptized.

Priesthood would come next (if your male). You would get the Aaronic priesthood within a couple of weeks. You would get the Melchizedek priesthood somewhere in the 6 month range. Temple is after a year. There is some temple before.

You really don’t have to worry about much of any of this. The Missionaries (and the ward) keep track of things and make sure you are on course. After you are baptized there is a Progress checklist to make sure the members and missionaries do the right thing for new coverts.

I would also encourage you to study the history and doctrines of the church. Also find out more about the temple through study and prayer. There seem to be many people leaving the church these days based on things in the church's history. I would suggest learning about these things so that you'll know about these things that you'll be asked to commit to as the process rolls out.

It isn't hard to find out the "deeper" topics and they arn't things that you won't understand. They are things that you should know prior to signing on the dotted line. Kinda like understanding the contract of the house purchase, prior to putting your money down.

It is the same way in the church. "Some" members, not all, get involved in the church and then a year or so later run across a policy, doctrine, or historical point and are blown away by the information. My suggestion is that you find out about these before you join to make sure you want to stay involved.

The LDS Church is truly a wonderful place to be. It has so many of the answers that other faiths are lacking. It is wonderful place to be a youth and to raise children. The sense of community and belonging is wonderful. You are in front of a wonderful journey. However, I do encourage you to go in with your eyes wide open so that later you don't question the decision you made.

Good luck in your journey.

It is the same way in the church. "Some" members, not all, get involved in the church and then a year or so later run across a policy, doctrine, or historical point and are blown away by the information. My suggestion is that you find out about these before you join to make sure you want to stay involved.

Wow, that is a long pre-baptism interview. I wonder how many questions there are now? I also wonder if those "deeper" points of doctrine are covered in Preach My Gospel?

JPL1234 was asking for things that we thought would be important steps for working up to baptism. I get the feeling you are mocking my advice to her when it is simply that, advice to a potential new member. Is this an indication of the church she is joining, mocking others for giving advice to an investigator? She didn't indicate a question about the pre-baptism interview, but simply some of the steps that a person would follow. I was simply adding one more suggested step.

There is much to learn of the deeper doctrines, but don't worry about trying to learn all of it- you really don't need to go that deep into it before you're ready to hear God's voice speaking to you, confirming to you the truth of the gospel.

There will be plenty of time later on to get into the deeper mysteries, but take it slowly. Proceed only as quickly as you are ready, and as quickly as the Spirit is willing to teach you.

Regarding learning more of the church history, no problem with doing that if you're interested in it. Just don't get too caught up in all the little details that some folks like to quibble about. Many of the things you learn from the history just don't really matter as far as whether the church is true or not. But I admit that some things you may learn could make a difference, and so you should study it out, pray over it, discuss it with folks in the church, one point at a time, until you reach a satisfactory conclusion on each point.

Please don't jump into looking at anti-LDS literature where they often exaggerate things (to put it nicely) and try to throw a lot of weird things at you at once. There is a lot out there from church history, both favorable and not as favorable, so I hope you would definitely search out the history from the favorable point of view (from church friendly sources).

If you insist of giving equal time to the unfavorable points of view, just keep in mind that those sources are often just not accurate. Do not trust them at face value - Keep going all the way back to the original sources and study each point in the original context, and ponder and pray over it, about whether these points would really be evidence about the truthfulness of the church, one way or the other.

Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over staying away from the anti-LDS literature altogether. I feel that most of it is just designed mostly to destroy a person's faith in the church, for no other reason than to try to see the church fail in it's mission.

I guess I tend to disagree with the previous poster. It feels that there are only 2 types of information about the church in his opinion. That which is true, and favorable to the church and that which is false and unfavorable to the church. In other words, if it is not favorable, it must be put in terms of "Anti"

I would pose that there is a 3rd and possibly a 4th type of information. This would include things that are accurate, true, and provable, but are tend to cause feeling in the learning of confusion and doubt. I would propose that these feelings in this case are not "evil" but simple ones of confusion.

There are many aspects of church history, past and present which are troubling. There are aspects of church doctrine, past and present which are troubling. I only suggest that someone who is getting into the church should understand some of the big historical and doctrinal confusing topics. I'm not talking about deep mysteries here such as "Did Adam have a bellybutton", or something like "Were the Abrahamic covenants a prototype of the current Priesthood". I'm simply saying that people should study and be aware of things that are true, known, accurate--but cause one to be confused, have doubts and question. Many of our church leaders over the last century have admonished us to question, research, and understand.

This information is readily available on the web, and in my research I've found very little that is truly "anti". You can quickly tell if it is in my opinion. If you start reading and realize the author, or the site has very little good to say about the church, they are probably much to one-sided. If the information tends be sound "angry" or tries to make the point that the church is evil and everyone one associated with it, then it is probably "anti".

However, the converse is also true. If you are being encouraged to "just get baptized, quickly" or "Anything against the church is anti", or "Only read positive things about the church", I tend not to trust those sites either.

If you are shopping for a car, read reviews from people who have loved the car, as well as those who got rid of it after many repairs. You want a varied viewpoint.

Just my advice, Free.. so take it as you like. Have a great adventure!

A good guide is Doctrine and Covenants 20.

37 And again, by way of commandment to the church concerning the manner of baptism—All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church.

So the steps are:

1. Humble yourself before God

2. Have a desire to be baptized

3. Come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits

4. Witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins

5. Be willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ

6. have a determination to serve him to the end

7. Truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins

That which is true, and favorable to the church and that which is false and unfavorable to the church. In other words, if it is not favorable, it must be put in terms of "Anti"

I would pose that there is a 3rd and possibly a 4th type of information. This would include things that are accurate, true, and provable, but are tend to cause feeling in the learning of confusion and doubt. I would propose that these feelings in this case are not "evil" but simple ones of confusion.

Moroni 7: 12-17

12 Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually. 13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.

14 Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil.

15 For behold, my brethren, it is given unto you to judge, that ye may know good from evil; and the way to judge is as plain, that ye may know with a perfect knowledge, as the daylight is from the dark night.

16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

17 But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.

We do not have to be "confused" we can judge for ourselves and "know with a perfect knowledge".

Just my thoughts,

Mags

Edited by MsMagnolia
had to take out the pesky footnote letters

I've skimmed this thread and there are some great posts.

There is a "list" - at least from my missionary experience. Things have changed, but I doubt that the standards have changed.

1. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ

2. Testimony that the Book of Mormon is scripture from God

3. Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God called to restore the Lord's Church

4. Commitment to attend worship services (you must have attended at least one meeting prior to baptism)

5. Commitment to live by the WOW (primarily no smoking, drinking, coffee or tea)

6. Commitment to follow the Law of Tithing (10% of your increase)

7. Commitment to support the mission of the church: Proclaim the Gospel, Perfect the Saints, Redeem the Dead

With those commitments, there is an interview with the mission district leader to ask those questions. There is also a final question regarding serious sins. If the answer is "yes" to any of those serious sins (which include abortion, same-sex relations and others [i can't remember]), then there is an interview by someone in the mission presidency.

Remember that those commitments are based on the testimony that Jesus is the Christ, Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God and the Book of Mormon is scripture for us today.

Granted, I served my mission 10 years ago, so things may have changed, but I don't think the Lord's church is about to lower its standards.

First and foremost, seek guidance from the Holy Ghost. Read. Ponder. Pray. All else will fall into place.

Just to comment on the anti-mormon lit on the last 2 posts, I have found that a great number of "anti's" simply have a misunderstanding of our beliefs but at the same time don't really care to understand. Others just have a lot of hate and could care less if the truth was staring them in the face. Pretty sad really, that some people have nothing better to do than criticize others.

Just a quick note- the tactics of the adversary can be very cunning- the phrase "philosophies of men mingled with scripture" comes to mind. Take heed to do all things prayerfully and humbly, seeking only the will of Heavenly Father to be done.

I've skimmed this thread and there are some great posts.

There is a "list" - at least from my missionary experience. Things have changed, but I doubt that the standards have changed.

1. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ

2. Testimony that the Book of Mormon is scripture from God

3. Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God called to restore the Lord's Church

4. Commitment to attend worship services (you must have attended at least one meeting prior to baptism)

5. Commitment to live by the WOW (primarily no smoking, drinking, coffee or tea)

6. Commitment to follow the Law of Tithing (10% of your increase)

7. Commitment to support the mission of the church: Proclaim the Gospel, Perfect the Saints, Redeem the Dead

With those commitments, there is an interview with the mission district leader to ask those questions. There is also a final question regarding serious sins. If the answer is "yes" to any of those serious sins (which include abortion, same-sex relations and others [i can't remember]), then there is an interview by someone in the mission presidency.

Remember that those commitments are based on the testimony that Jesus is the Christ, Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God and the Book of Mormon is scripture for us today.

Granted, I served my mission 10 years ago, so things may have changed, but I don't think the Lord's church is about to lower its standards.

"2. Testimony that the Book of Mormon is scripture from God"

Why the book of mormon only. Lets add the bible too!!!

"2. Testimony that the Book of Mormon is scripture from God"

Why the book of mormon only. Lets add the bible too!!!

I agree with that. My ex followed Confucius and as such did not believe in the bible either before she joined.

Just a quick note- the tactics of the adversary can be very cunning- the phrase "philosophies of men mingled with scripture" comes to mind. Take heed to do all things prayerfully and humbly, seeking only the will of Heavenly Father to be done.

I think my point is this.

There is much literature that has been published by the church, that can be deemed as accurate.

There is much literature not published by the church that can be deemed just as accurate.

As an example, much of the book of "Mormon Doctrine" has been dissolved and not kept as doctrine as the church anymore.

Another example: The book Rough Stone Rolling was not published by the church but is accurate history of the church that contains things that no one really knows anymore. It is, in my opinion, that people know some of the important history and early church doctrines that still affect us today.