Does LDS doctrine clash with the Bible?

aj4u

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying that God and Jesus are one and the same?

It seems that Snow is saying that God is flesh and blood because Jesus is God. But if I say it, I may be told I am being slippery. Yes and no to your question Pam. Jesus is God, and He is the Son of God. I don't know how God does that, but I am not going to speculate beyond the Bible of how that is or is not done. No one should do that. Where is it written that we should comprehend God's essence?

Just because we interpret the Bible differently from others does not mean our beliefs are not based in the Bible. We have shown you the Bible references we use to show that God has a body. You choose to interpret those verses differently. That does not mean you are biblical and we are not. Maybe it means your interpretations, the interpretations without the aid of living prophets BTW, are wrong, and ours are right.

If you choose to see it that way. We are all free to choose what we believe, but we are not free from the consequences of those choices.

It seems that Snow is saying that God is flesh and blood because Jesus is God. But if I say it, I may be told I am being slippery. Yes and no to your question Pam. Jesus is God, and He is the Son of God. I don't know how God does that, but I am not going to speculate beyond the Bible of how that is or is not done. No one should do that. Where is it written that we should comprehend God's essence?

I'm curious, aj, do you believe that God wants us to understand Him? Do you think that He wants us to know Him? If so, then how do we do it? The Bible has many contradictions...some have been shown in this thread. How are we to understand the contradictions? How are we to do which is correct, which may be slightly misunderstood, and which are just wrong? Or can anything written in the Bible be wrong?

Then why are we 38 pages into a fight that we agree on? Maybe it's because you don't understand what you really believe and have come to us to help you figure out your own beliefs?

That is a good question. Can you answer it? You just might be right.

We are all free to choose what we believe

Wow for once we agree. How about now going with what you just said and say we agree to disagree. Why keep debating with us on what we believe? I've tried to say that and you continue to want to debate it. Isn't it time for this to just be done?

I'm curious, aj, do you believe that God wants us to understand Him? Do you think that He wants us to know Him? If so, then how do we do it? The Bible has many contradictions...some have been shown in this thread. How are we to understand the contradictions? How are we to do which is correct, which may be slightly misunderstood, and which are just wrong? Or can anything written in the Bible be wrong?

How do you deal with the contradiction in the Mormon writings?

Any number of groups look at the bible and come up with very different beliefs systems. JW's, Christadelphians, World Wide Church of God, Christian Science, The Family (Berg's group), Quakers, Shakers etc etc etc Each of these groups would claim that they have the true understanding of scripture or God's message, just as both LDS and Traditonal Christians do.

LDS beliefs do not contradict the Bible when understood solely in terms of their own framework and interpretation.

The Traditional Christian belief framework, those common set of interpretations and concepts held largely in common by a broad range of churches have several things going for them. Firstly longevity, most of the concepts go back some way in Christian history. Secondly the number of people who even though they disagreed on many issues still manage to share the core aspects. Thirdly, there have been several groups which stood apart from traditional christianity who have largely returned to more traditonal Christianity. Large parts of the SDA movement are more thoroughly traditional then they once were. A sizable porton of the World Wide Chruch of God have moved to adopt more tradtional thinking. And I'm happy to be corrected by any RLDS (Community of Christ) folk but in a number of areas they too appear to have leaned back to more traditional thinking.

Any number of groups look at the bible and come up with very different beliefs systems. JW's, Christadelphians, World Wide Church of God, Christian Science, The Family (Berg's group), Quakers, Shakers etc etc etc Each of these groups would claim that they have the true understanding of scripture or God's message, just as both LDS and Traditonal Christians do.

LDS beliefs do not contradict the Bible when understood solely in terms of their own framework and interpretation.

The Traditional Christian belief framework, those common set of interpretations and concepts held largely in common by a broad range of churches have several things going for them. Firstly longevity, most of the concepts go back some way in Christian history. Secondly the number of people who even though they disagreed on many issues still manage to share the core aspects. Thirdly, there have been several groups which stood apart from traditional christianity who have largely returned to more traditonal Christianity. Large parts of the SDA movement are more thoroughly traditional then they once were. A sizable porton of the World Wide Chruch of God have moved to adopt more tradtional thinking. And I'm happy to be corrected by any RLDS (Community of Christ) folk but in a number of areas they too appear to have leaned back to more traditional thinking.

Do you think this doesn't happen in Mormonism?

I didn't really interpreet it as a fight. I thought it was a discussion

No, a discussion is where the the two sides discuss things, thus the root of discussion is discuss. You have wasted 38 pages of bandwidth telling us we don't base our beliefs in the Bible, and have not bothered to discuss the fallacy of your assertion. Your lack of discussion has frustrated more than a few people who don't know why you can't seem to read and comprehend what you do read.

Wow for once we agree. How about now going with what you just said and say we agree to disagree. Why keep debating with us on what we believe? I've tried to say that and you continue to want to debate it. Isn't it time for this to just be done?

I agree. I am done. Please tell the others to stop responding. I ahavre said all I know about this topic. Lets look at some thing else.:o

I agree. I am done. Please tell the others to stop responding. I ahavre said all I know about this topic. Lets look at some thing else.:o

Let's change that line to 'let's look at something' because I don't see how you've accomplished anything of value here yet.