As A new Member, I think the problem is gonna be for me at least tithing...

I realized that I'm gonna be giving the church 20% of my income which for me really hurts....

It is just 10%. I remember the check burning a hole in my pocket the first time. I subsequently read a talk from Pres. Hinckley on the subject of tithing and by gaining a greater understanding of the principle it made it much easier to obey and to live the principle.

It is just 10%. I remember the check burning a hole in my pocket the first time. I subsequently read a talk from Pres. Hinckley on the subject of tithing and by gaining a greater understanding of the principle it made it much easier to obey and to live the principle.

It's one of those things where you just "do it". You won't really understand the blessings of tithing until you've practiced it. Or at least, that's my experience.

Okay, you know when you get your paycheck, it's really not the amount you agreed with your employer you are supposed to earn? Because, they take out Federal Taxes, State Taxes, SS, Medicare, Healthcare, 401K, whatever else comes out of it. You don't "feel" any of those. You just accept it as such. And it's just fine with you. Even if they raise your taxes, it might still be fine with you coz you still don't really "feel" it.

Tithing is the same. You just accept it as such and you get used to it. If it helps you better, ask your HR department to deduct your tithing straight out of your paycheck so you don't "feel" it either. It is a tax-deductible expense, so it will make your Net slightly higher than if you would write the tithing check after you receive your paycheck. Make sense?

Hope this helps.

i can speak for myself.

i have gone inactive twice. I had been living in another country and returned to the US. I returned to weeping people in chapel. a child had gotten molested and it was mishandled. the ward was split in two. people sat in chapel and cried. there was a weird energy. i took one look, said, heck no, and left for two years.

the next time i went inactive, it was my fault. i got lazy and let my social calendar dictate my spiritual calemdar.

I can tell you that when i was most active it was when i had a calling and a temple recommend. i work hard to maintain that recommend. if i have a responsibiltiy, i actually show up and don't get the sunday lazies.

Another factor is that many people have never done anything in their lives with that level of consistency. I was discussing with my wife that the US has, likely, the best education in the world and it is just about free but most people do not go and pursue higher education. It takes time, effort, dedication and consistency. For most it is just too much to ask.

Guest TheLutheran

. . . I was discussing with my wife that the US has, likely, the best education in the world and it is just about free but most people do not go and pursue higher education. . . .

I'll have 3 daughters at state universities (one out-of-state) next year and I can assure you it is NOT "just about free" -- it'll cost approximately $71,000 including housing for the 2009-2010 school year. Our goal is to get them through Bachelor's Degrees debt free so we've planned for this for 20+ years. The girls have done their share from raising hogs starting at age 8, to driving equipment on the farm, working off-farm jobs and applying for every scholarship available to Caucasian kids who don't qualify for financial aid.

I agree ". . . It takes time, effort, dedication and consistency . . ." whether nurturing your relationship with Jesus Christ or managing your finances. :sunny:

I want to discuss a topic, statistically 50% of new LDS members leave the church or become inactive within two years of joining, this is not me saying, it is official statistics,,, why do you think this happen and how can this be treated ??

I remember asking this question to missionaries before joining the church, and they confirmed the fact, saying that the church puts more attention to investigators much more than it does to new members, when I was an investigator almost every member knew me by name and greeted me, when I'm leaving some one always volunteered to give me a lift, I always told the missionaries I cant wait to get out of the spot light, I just want to be confirmed and be just another regular member, because I was sure this luxury won't last, and felt sorry for investigators who got spoiled and used to being in the spot light .

During my investigation period I saw 3 confirmations, two of them already stopped attending now !!! after my confirmation I was giving many books to read through, I don't know which one to start with, missionaries who used to call me every day, don't call any more now, I found out that I only know most members by their last names and faces, same did they, my only real friends were the missionaries who keep on rotating and never last, and being a single adult meant that I will hardly fit with families .

I know myself very well, I will keep on trying again and again until I fit in, and make good friends. because I know that every new convert has a big role, and it is his responsibility to work hard and secure his place in his ward, but don't you agree that the strategy should be changed, and that new converts should be given some assistance for the first year or 6 months, don't you think that being very friendly to an investigator just because he is an investigator and then not being friendly any more after he is a member is offending and annoying ??

Is it really our role as members to make sure that an investigator join or to make sure that converts stay ?? I guess both are at the same level of importance, whats the use of new converts if they wont last ??

Forgive me, but I did not read the entire thread, just the first post.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep

I have said before, and I repeat it, that every new convert needs three things:

1. A friend in the Church to whom he can constantly turn, who will walk beside him, who will answer his questions, who will understand his problems.

2. An assignment. Activity is the genius of this Church. It is the process by which we grow. Faith and love for the Lord are like the muscle of my arm. If I use them, they grow stronger. If I put them in a sling, they become weaker. Every convert deserves a responsibility. The bishop may feel that he is not qualified for responsibility. Take a chance on him. Think of the risk the Lord took when He called you.

Of course the new convert will not know everything. He likely will make some mistakes. So what? We all make mistakes. The important thing is the growth that will come of activity.

As a part of this process of giving responsibility, it is proper and very important that the new convert, if he be a man, is ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood. Then before too many months, he may be ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood. He will have the fellowship of the elders quorum. He will become one of a vast body of priesthood throughout the world, men of integrity and faith who love the Lord and seek to move forward His work.

3. Every convert must be “nourished by the good word of God” (Moro. 6:4). It is imperative that he or she become affiliated with a priesthood quorum or the Relief Society, the Young Women, the Young Men, the Sunday School, or the Primary. He or she must be encouraged to come to sacrament meeting to partake of the sacrament, to renew the covenants made at the time of baptism.

So basically, if you don't have a calling, set an appointment in the Bishop's office and ASK FOR ONE.

Are you a home teacher? That's a wonderful calling.

You see the big picture... how about "new member fellowship"? It's not an official "calling". We should all be called to that capacity. But you can help to strengthen those who are no longer attending. This will strengthen you as well.

Ask the bishop for a calling. You can even print out this article that I linked to and mention that you've been doing some reading and that you need to be called in some way to be in the Lord's service.

One of the best things the bishop can do is extend a calling to those who have gone inactive. You may think "hey, they're inactive. Are you sure they should have a calling?" A calling from the Lord can make miracles happen.

Just my thoughts.

1 we created a Mormon English dictionary to help explain many terms to new converts.

Could you post a copy of this?

You could use box.net, create a public folder and upload the file there. Then post a link to it.

I'd really like to read it. Thanks!

Could you post a copy of this?

You could use box.net, create a public folder and upload the file there. Then post a link to it.

I'd really like to read it. Thanks!

LDS English Dictionary.doc - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Hope it works, both our computers are acting up. I had to format the laptop this pm and looks like the desk comp during the week.

The Dictionary is a work in progress and there are several different ones on the net also a very large Mormon Encyclopedia from BYU? Sorry the bookmark was on the Lap which I haven't gotten to reinstalling bookmarks yet.

The purpose is to help take the mystery out of the church. If you see any additions that would be useful let me know and I'll add them into version 2.

I'll have 3 daughters at state universities (one out-of-state) next year and I can assure you it is NOT "just about free" -- it'll cost approximately $71,000 including housing for the 2009-2010 school year. Our goal is to get them through Bachelor's Degrees debt free so we've planned for this for 20+ years. The girls have done their share from raising hogs starting at age 8, to driving equipment on the farm, working off-farm jobs and applying for every scholarship available to Caucasian kids who don't qualify for financial aid.

I agree ". . . It takes time, effort, dedication and consistency . . ." whether nurturing your relationship with Jesus Christ or managing your finances. :sunny:

About the education; they can go and work for a non-profit, rural areas or even foreign governments that will agree to reimburse for their student loans in exchange for working with them for a number of years. There, you work, get paid and get your student loans paid. The sum? Free college. I did it.

The rest, I agree. Time, effort, energy, dedication, consistency. For some it is "too much." That is why most prefer 1 a week religions with no strings attached.

Guest TheLutheran

. . . That is why most prefer 1 a week religions with no strings attached. . . .

I've frequently encountered the perception that non-LDS Christians are . . . for lack of a better term . . . "slackers" when it comes to their spiritual lives. Does anyone know of a study or data that reflects the commitment of various denominations with respect to worship services, scripture study, Christian education, social concerns, fellowship, etc.? I think it would be fascinating. :sunny:

I've frequently encountered the perception that non-LDS Christians are . . . for lack of a better term . . . "slackers" when it comes to their spiritual lives. Does anyone know of a study or data that reflects the commitment of various denominations with respect to worship services, scripture study, Christian education, social concerns, fellowship, etc.? I think it would be fascinating. :sunny:

I would like to see that myself. So many denominational and non-denominational churches though, it would really be a hard study. From my experience it varies greatly.

• 3 years later...
Hidden

#1 I know the church is true. Each time there is a General Conference; I feel peace and think "That's what I believe."

#2 When I am in church; I get down and out. The Mormon culture is hard to grasp and accept for me. To me there is this LDS face or front for all to see. If you talk any norm; then, it gets very quiet in Relief Society or Sunday School. That's not the real reason why people become inactive, though. In fact, most inactive can't pin point until I am their relief society visiting teacher alone with them and share why it was hard for me to stay active. Their eyes light up and they can't stop talking another hour

Yes, a big majority go back to their oral habits (coffee, tea, tobacco, or alcohol). There is something that happens before they fall short in that area. It wasn't their weakness for the habit or that the religion is just too hard to live. It's eternal families. Here you are in church and you know the scenario. Here comes Dad, Mom and 5 children. All dressed up really nice and all happy. On Fast and Testimony Sunday, they give elaborate gratitude testimonies about their eternal marriages. As long as they live in harmony with the gosple, they will live in harmony with their families forever and forever. The convert was elated when they came across the church. Yet, they feel out of place now. They ask more about these temple marriages (their husband didn't join, or their parents didn't join). If someone had the opportunity to hear the gosple hear on earth and deny it; they've had their opportunity. So, now you are there and you are no longer elated. You've been raised all your life that they "will gather around the river, the beautiful, beautiful river" and now they won't even be sealed with any of their family. Their heaven has now became their hell. The convert is stressed because they were so excited so they sent missionaries to all their relatives house and their families had one issue after another turning the missioaries down. All of a sudden, heaven doesn't look like heaven anymore. It looks as lonely and out of place as church does. Yet, no one will respond if you mention it.

#1 I know the church is true. Each time there is a General Conference; I feel peace and think "That's what I believe."

#2 When I am in church; I get down and out. The Mormon culture is hard to grasp and accept for me. To me there is this LDS face or front for all to see. If you talk any norm; then, it gets very quiet in Relief Society or Sunday School. That's not the real reason why people become inactive, though. In fact, most inactive can't pin point until I am their relief society visiting teacher alone with them and share why it was hard for me to stay active. Their eyes light up and they can't stop talking another hour

Yes, a big majority go back to their oral habits (coffee, tea, tobacco, or alcohol). There is something that happens before they fall short in that area. It wasn't their weakness for the habit or that the religion is just too hard to live. It's eternal families. Here you are in church and you know the scenario. Here comes Dad, Mom and 5 children. All dressed up really nice and all happy. On Fast and Testimony Sunday, they give elaborate gratitude testimonies about their eternal marriages. As long as they live in harmony with the gosple, they will live in harmony with their families forever and forever. The convert was elated when they came across the church. Yet, they feel out of place now. They ask more about these temple marriages (their husband didn't join, or their parents didn't join). If someone had the opportunity to hear the gosple hear on earth and deny it; they've had their opportunity. So, now you are there and you are no longer elated. You've been raised all your life that they "will gather around the river, the beautiful, beautiful river" and now they won't even be sealed with any of their family. Their heaven has now became their hell. The convert is stressed because they were so excited so they sent missionaries to all their relatives house and their families had one issue after another turning the missioaries down. All of a sudden, heaven doesn't look like heaven anymore. It looks as lonely and out of place as church does. Yet, no one will respond if you mention it. Think about it. A person that joins a religion totally out of character for their upbringing and opposed by their closest loved ones and friends do not need members to hold their hand. They are strong independent individiuals.

Edited by whyworrynow
Adding more info

Membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is neither a promise nor a hope that life thereafter shall be free from worry, disappointment, hardship or strife.

Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

While we can hope that our loved ones will follow us into the Church, we are also warned quite explicitly in Matthew 10:34-38:

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

If the new convert is not willing to take up his (or her) cross, and do what they know to be right regardless of all things, then they are unworthy of Christ.

This isn't a Mormon thing.

It's a matter of eternal law.

Edited by selek