Star Trek, Anyone?

Maureen

Originally posted by Maureen+Apr 27 2005, 08:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Apr 27 2005, 08:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Apr 26 2005, 05:03 PM

A vulcan, being logical instead of emotional, also wouldn't stoop to wearing revealing clothing.  I have never seen a vulcan dressed the way she dresses in any of the other shows.

Are you referring to T'Pol in last Friday's episode (the Mirror Universe T'Pol) or the regular T'Pol in 22nd century regular universe?

MU characters tend to live darker lives, more aggressive, more paranoid, more sexual. Therefore the attire fits the society.

When it comes to 22nd century Vulcans in the regular universe all we can go by is Enterprise canon. If the Vulcans find their attire functional, even T'Pol's attire (which has evolved during these four seasons) who are we to argue about it. ;)

M.

I am reminded of the TOS where Kirk and Spock went back in time to prehistoric Vulcan where the ancestors of today's Vulcans were ruled by their instincts and emotions. Spock elaborated very eloquently how over thousands (if not millions) of years Vulcans have fought against their instinctual side using logic, instead, to prevent the horrible things of their past. If I remember correctly, they had been relying on logic for a very long time by that point, so what I see in T'Pol (and granted I only saw her in the first season (then they stopped showing it here)), was enough to turn me off of the show.

Originally posted by Jenda@Apr 27 2005, 09:26 AM

I am reminded of the TOS where Kirk and Spock went back in time to prehistoric Vulcan where the ancestors of today's Vulcans were ruled by their instincts and emotions.  Spock elaborated very eloquently how over thousands (if not millions) of years Vulcans have fought against their instinctual side using logic, instead, to prevent the horrible things of their past.  If I remember correctly, they had been relying on logic for a very long time by that point, so what I see in T'Pol (and granted I only saw her in the first season (then they stopped showing it here)), was enough to turn me off of the show.

That's interesting you would say that because the startrek message board I post at, has fans that were willing to give Enterprise a good enough try after S1 but started to drift off after half of S2. I, myself prefer S2 than S1. IMO I found T'Pol extremely Vulcanish in S1 and S2 and in S3 the writers decided to experiment with her emotions, which I found kind of interesting (even though the actress herself had trouble with the concept). In S4 T'Pol is indeed Vulcan but as we've gotten to know her she has shown that she definitely has her own unique personality - she is not Spock and no one should expect her to be anyone other than herself.

M.

Originally posted by Jenda@Apr 27 2005, 08:26 AM

I am reminded of the TOS where Kirk and Spock went back in time to prehistoric Vulcan where the ancestors of today's Vulcans were ruled by their instincts and emotions. Spock elaborated very eloquently how over thousands (if not millions) of years Vulcans have fought against their instinctual side using logic, instead, to prevent the horrible things of their past. If I remember correctly, they had been relying on logic for a very long time by that point, so what I see in T'Pol (and granted I only saw her in the first season (then they stopped showing it here)), was enough to turn me off of the show.

And who was the vulcan vixen in that episode?

Mariette Hartley (the Lemon Pledge Lady)

And who was Mariette Hartley's grandfather?

John Watson.

And who was John Watson?

The founder of behaviorism.

Posted Image

... and they said I don't pay attention. Hah!

Originally posted by Maureen+Apr 27 2005, 08:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Apr 27 2005, 08:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Apr 26 2005, 05:03 PM

A vulcan, being logical instead of emotional, also wouldn't stoop to wearing revealing clothing.  I have never seen a vulcan dressed the way she dresses in any of the other shows.

Are you referring to T'Pol in last Friday's episode (the Mirror Universe T'Pol) or the regular T'Pol in 22nd century regular universe?

MU characters tend to live darker lives, more aggressive, more paranoid, more sexual. Therefore the attire fits the society.

When it comes to 22nd century Vulcans in the regular universe all we can go by is Enterprise canon. If the Vulcans find their attire functional, even T'Pol's attire (which has evolved during these four seasons) who are we to argue about it. ;)

M.

So do you guys go right from the tv to the computer or what? In the regular universe people go outside, drive cars, meet real life humanoids and some times even mate with them. ;)

Originally posted by Setheus@Apr 28 2005, 11:32 AM

So do you guys go right from the tv to the computer or what? In the regular universe people go outside, drive cars, meet real life humanoids and some times even mate with them. ;)

I guess it depends if you're a fanatical or easy-going trekkie.

The easy-going trekkie is well grounded in real life. They enjoy the 42 minutes of escapism plus the real world that includes family, friends, work, fun - and of course a little internet.

Now the fanatical trekkie is something else entirely. Star Trek is a religion - they own merchandise, read ST books and memorize every line ever spoken in most series. Their greatest goals are attending conventions, dreaming about their favorite characters and arguing with easy-going trekkies on ST message boards. They are a sad lot, but I know there is always hope for them.

M.

Maureen,

This past fall my cable company had a 30 plus hour marathon of Star Trek movies. I didn't watch them all but IMO ... the original Star Trek with captain Kirk and Spock were the best! :D

The special effects may not have been as good on these earlier shows but the characters seemed more interesting and genuine to me. :D

Originally posted by Maureen+Apr 28 2005, 09:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Apr 28 2005, 09:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Apr 27 2005, 06:32 PM

Mariette Hartley (the Lemon Pledge Lady)...

But MH didn't play a Vulcan she just fooled around with a Vulcan. ;)

M.

I won't be questioned or second guessed. If I say that she was a Vulcan then she was a Vulcan, regardless of the facts.

Originally posted by Snow+Apr 29 2005, 11:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Apr 29 2005, 11:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Maureen@Apr 28 2005, 09:48 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Apr 27 2005, 06:32 PM

M.

I won't be questioned or second guessed. If I say that she was a Vulcan then she was a Vulcan, regardless of the facts.

Who would she be, if not a Vulcan, if she was on pre-historic Vulcan prior to space flight???

Originally posted by Jenda+Apr 29 2005, 12:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jenda @ Apr 29 2005, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Snow@Apr 29 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by -Maureen@Apr 28 2005, 09:48 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Apr 27 2005, 06:32 PM

M.

Who would she be, if not a Vulcan, if she was on pre-historic Vulcan prior to space flight???

The episode is called All Our Yesterdays - a synopsis:

<span style='color:blue'>The crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise investigate the planet Sarpeidon whose sun is soon to go nova. Upon beaming to the surface, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy discover the inhabitants gone and a library containing the planet's accumulated knowledge.

Kirk, Spock and McCoy are surprised to find a lone inhabitant on the surface, Mr. Atoz, the librarian, who mistakes them for citizens of Sarpeidon. Mr. Atoz has been transferring people into the planet's past using a machine called the "atavachron." While investigating this unique technology, Kirk leaps to rescue a woman he hears screaming and ends transported to a period fraught with superstitions and witchcraft. Attempting to follow Kirk, Spock and McCoy enter the atavachron's portal to find themselves in a different time — Sarpeidon's ice age.

McCoy, who is close to freezing to death, and Spock are rescued by a beautiful woman, Zarabeth. While close to the portals they entered from, Kirk, Spock and McCoy can communicate with each other but little more. However, this is enough to get Kirk arrested for practicing witchcraft.

Spock increasingly finds himself attracted to Zarabeth, and disturbingly more emotional and irrational, and even goes against Vulcan custom by eating meat. McCoy convinces Spock that this time in Sarpeidon's past is linked to Vulcan's primitive past and that they must return to their own time. Zarabeth insists they cannot return to the present without dying.

In jail, Kirk is befriended by a lawyer, another traveler of Sarpeidon's present, who helps him escape to find the portal, and return to the library.

Zarabeth helps McCoy and Spock to the place where she found them. By following the sound of Kirk's voice, they find their portal and leap back into the library. Mr. Atoz leaps to his own designated past and the Enterprise, with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy safely aboard, warps from orbit just as the sun explodes.

If I remember correctly Zarabeth was in that place as a punishment for some offense - to be cold and alone forever.

M.

Originally posted by Maureen@Apr 29 2005, 12:55 PM

The crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise investigate the planet Sarpeidon whose sun is soon to go nova. Upon beaming to the surface, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy discover the inhabitants gone and a library containing the planet's accumulated knowledge.

Kirk, Spock and McCoy are surprised to find a lone inhabitant on the surface, Mr. Atoz, the librarian, who mistakes them for citizens of Sarpeidon. Mr. Atoz has been transferring people into the planet's past using a machine called the "atavachron." While investigating this unique technology, Kirk leaps to rescue a woman he hears screaming and ends transported to a period fraught with superstitions and witchcraft. Attempting to follow Kirk, Spock and McCoy enter the atavachron's portal to find themselves in a different time — Sarpeidon's ice age.

McCoy, who is close to freezing to death, and Spock are rescued by a beautiful woman, Zarabeth. While close to the portals they entered from, Kirk, Spock and McCoy can communicate with each other but little more. However, this is enough to get Kirk arrested for practicing witchcraft.

Spock increasingly finds himself attracted to Zarabeth, and disturbingly more emotional and irrational, and even goes against Vulcan custom by eating meat. McCoy convinces Spock that this time in Sarpeidon's past is linked to Vulcan's primitive past and that they must return to their own time. Zarabeth insists they cannot return to the present without dying.

In jail, Kirk is befriended by a lawyer, another traveler of Sarpeidon's present, who helps him escape to find the portal, and return to the library.

Zarabeth helps McCoy and Spock to the place where she found them. By following the sound of Kirk's voice, they find their portal and leap back into the library. Mr. Atoz leaps to his own designated past and the Enterprise, with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy safely aboard, warps from orbit just as the sun explodes.

If I remember correctly Zarabeth was in that place as a punishment for some offense - to be cold and alone forever.

M.

Come back! Move towards the light!! Its not too late. :blink:

Originally posted by Maureen@Apr 29 2005, 12:55 PM

The episode is called All Our Yesterdays - a synopsis:

The crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise investigate the planet Sarpeidon whose sun is soon to go nova. Upon beaming to the surface, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy discover the inhabitants gone and a library containing the planet's accumulated knowledge.

M.

OK, so I was wrong. That's not so unusual. :blink: