D-Day 65 years ago

farmer

To the vets of the greatest generation,

I have not forgotten your sacrifice and I cherish the freedom you and thousands of others purchased with your sweat, blood and sorrow.

My generation and the generation to follow are largely a disgrace to this country however know that there are still some who believe in sacrifice, freedom and the idea that there are no free lunches.

Thank you for the example and the standard which you have set. I will strive to raise the bar.

Farmer

To the vets of the greatest generation,

I have not forgotten your sacrifice and I cherish the freedom you and thousands of others purchased with your sweat, blood and sorrow.

My generation and the generation to follow are largely a disgrace to this country however know that there are still some who believe in sacrifice, freedom and the idea that there are no free lunches.

Thank you for the example and the standard which you have set. I will strive to raise the bar.

Farmer

Were all a disgrace?:huh:

D-Day was a horrible day, those who fought on that day deserve every and all respect. Thank you.

Are the generations that were asked to stand their ground during the Cold War disgraceful? What about those who have gone house to house in Tikrit looking for insurgents? What about those who are trying their best to teach children reading and writing and their own history? What about those who live lives of quiet desperation, working 2 part time jobs in order to feed their families because there are no full time jobs available? There are so many people who try to live up to the sacrifice of those brave souls. They live and vote and remember Pearl Harbor. They put flowers on the graves of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers on Memorial Day. They vote Democrat or Republican or Independent. They love their country. They teach their children to love their country.

I honor those who fought in WWII against ferocious odds, and I think most of us today if asked would be able to match that courage. After all, we are the products of the greatest generation.

Edited by talisyn

I think this pretty much sums up my feelings. I cannot have said it better.

"My personal opinion is that if it can be said that was 'the greatest generation' the baby boomers were the most selfish. Gen X is the by product of that and continuing the slide.

The boomers chafed at direction of their parents whose own lives were shaped by war and the depression. The Boomers cast off social morays in the 60's and 70's. In the '80s as the bulk rose to prominence a schism had emerged which pitted both sides into pitched battles for personal power and wealth via opposite means of approach. The end game was the same. Today the survivors of these approaches are the bulk of our the law makers. We are witness to their life experiences and values - largely a perversion of their respective utopias mouthed when in their 20's.

The changes to society created by this generation have largely removed the concept of personal responsibility, blurred the line between victim and oppressor (criminal), encouraged the break down of the family unit, and cheapened American human life.

The children of the boomers? It's a distillation process...since Mom and Dad thought sex, drugs, and Rock N Roll were cool - the antics of Marilyn Manson, GWAR, Public Enemy, R. Kelly (insert controversial group here) aren't nearly as controversial as Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis in their time. Since there isn't the same emphasis on the family there are more single parent households, children born out of wedlock, and children that don't succeed. Due to successive decades cultural degradation, human life in America has become cheaper than ever before. In short folks coming of age today have many if not most of the same short comings of their own parent's generation coupled with few influences on them to shrug off group think and rise above.

My personal opinion is that it will continue to spiral down until a cathartic event forces a particular generation to rethink the course of events and right the ship."

Are there great people doing good things in every generation? you bet. Just getting fewer and fewer.

My dad was a WWII vet. He tells the story that the US soldiers came home from the end of that war, full of hope that they'd finally stamped out the reasons for man to go to war. He says this sense of positive confidence lasted in him until Korea, then it dawned on him that mankind will always find things to kill each other over.