Its fast Sunday should I say More?

Winnie G

Some of the women on here may (or may not) be familiar with the blog Mormon Mommy Wars. One of the authors this week wrote about Pixar's new movie "Up" (rated PG "for some peril and action") and what she thought of it, as far as taking young children to see it. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I can completely understand her point of view. Read here.

Wow. Just wow. I loved UP. So did my 2 kids - ages 5 and 7. They never even asked about the empty crib. My 7 year old understood what it meant and it flew over the head of my 5 year old. My 7-year-old told his dad after the movie that he felt really blessed to have his dad.

Guys, I came from an ultra strict family. My impression of the author of that blog on Up is she's like my mother. I will tell you right now, my teen-age years was the worst to the point of suicidal. I can't go into it here but I tell you, it is just as bad to the kids to shelter them this much. Education is key. The younger the better. Precept upon precept according to their level of understanding. They should know our view of life as a family before they encounter it outside. My kids have a colony of rats. They know exactly what it means to have babies. Doesn't make them twisted children.

I remember when my kids were small and we lived across the street from the Bishop. They would not let their kids watch The Lion King when it came out because of the violence.

That was the first movie I saw after my mission (I was on a date) and I was so embarrassed when Simba and what's her face kissed. I was already uncomfortable being alone with a boy, then kissing! It was too much! :lol:

The big thing when I was in Primary/Young Women's was kids not being allowed to watch the Simpsons. One of my friends was seriously *shocked* that my parents "allowed" that (said in a "What kind of parents do YOU have?" negative way). 20 years later, I still don't get the problem with that show.

But after getting that reaction, I didn't dare tell them that Monty Python and the Holy Grail was one of my favorite movies. :D (sooooooo many of the jokes in that movie flew miles above my head)

I was introduced to the joys of Monty Python and the Holy Grail by my seminary teacher. :D I wasn't raised in an LDS household and my mother was pretty liberal. I didn't really have anything that I wasn't aloud to read or watch, I read and watched a lot of things that were probably too old for me and went over my head but nothing really horrible. My mother says I never really needed watching that way, if she left me alone I'd usually pick appropriate things. Of course my mothers view of appropriate things and a stricter mothers are probably radically different. I think as long as I didn't go into a bookstore and come out with Sex for Dummies or something like that she wouldn't care. As a teenager I was not only allowed to watch The Simpsons but Family Guy, Futurama, Southpark, King of the Hill, and a whole lot of other things that probably weren't the best shows (I confess though, I still watch these shows sometimes :conscience:).

I read and watched a lot of things that were probably too old for me and went over my head but nothing really horrible.

So ploomf, sounds like you got a jumpstart so you would be ready to be an adult at 24. Right?