I Hate (Everything About) You

Vort

In 1984, the "Star Trek -- Save the Whales!" movie came out, featuring an obnoxious punk on a SF bus loudly playing a punk rock song called

(naughty word advisory). (As you recall, Spock Spocked him into unconsciousness.) The point is, the obnoxious punk rock song was actually quite enjoyable, if silly.

Then in 1992, Ugly Kid Joe sang (I Hate) Everything About You. (Unfortunately, this isn't the version with Julia Sweeney whining, "Are you the guys on the beach that hate everything? ehhhhhh...Is this some sort of hip music that I don't understand?") Anyone who heard that song and didn't laugh was (and is) humor-deficient.

That same year saw the formation of a Canadian band called Groundswell, which later became Three Days Grace. In about 2003, they put out a weirdly great song called -- you guessed it -- I Hate Everything About You (strangely censored version).

So what is it about songs called "I Hate You" or "I Hate Everything About You"? Does the title endow the song with some magical goodness? Or do only people with real talent have the chuzpah to name their song such a thing?

If I ever try writing a song for popular consumption, I know what I'm going to call it. Since I don't have any real talent, let's hope it's the former reason.

I'm just going out on a limb here and taking a wild guess as for the consumption of such songs.

Perhap's it's kind of like the 'Misery loves company' syndrome. Maybe most people really do hate someone or something and sort of relate to it in some fashion.

Perhaps it's the consumers way of venting in a round about way. I would like to be able to hear the song, but I'm at work and it's filtered--when I get home I'll check it out and hoprfully won't get hooked on it.

I do remember hearing a song or two by 'Ugly Kid Joe' back then.

It could just be because of the younger age group and rebelious stage of some as to why it did and now does have some appeal.

Because ambivalence is a natural part of many (most according to David Schnarch) relationships. I felt strong ambivalence towards quite a few missionary companions, and again towards my wife.

A song like Three Days Grace's can be cathartic to those who experience these conflicting feelings and don't understand them, or are pained by them. The stronger the ambivalence, the more a person can identify with the song.

The lyrics beyond just the title line are: "I hate everything about you. Why do I love you?"

Maybe it is just that a lot of music is slouching towards Gomorrah, and people are seeking ways to stir up the negative emotions in the mindless masses.

That would explain why artists and/or record labels are motivated to put out such songs, but doesn't not explain why the songs become popular.

Or do only people with real talent have the chuzpah to name their song such a thing?

I don't think that is it. There are plenty of grunge message/title songs that are put out by not-so-famous talent. Edited by ryanh
Left out quote bracket

"There's nothing in this world so sweet as love. And next to love the sweetest thing is hate." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot." Rev. 3:15-16

Proverbs 6:12-19 "If the slothful are to be condemned, who do nothing, much more those that do all the ill they can. Observe how such a man is described. He says and does every thing artfully, and with design. His ruin shall come without warning, and without relief. Here is a list of things hateful to God. Those sins are in a special manner provoking to God, which are hurtful to the comfort of human life. These things which God hates, we must hate in ourselves; it is nothing to hate them in others. Let us shun all such practices, and watch and pray against them; and avoid, with marked disapproval, all who are guilty of them, whatever may be their rank." Matthew Henry's Whole Bible Commentary

Edited by valjohnjennings

That would explain why artists and/or record labels are motivated to put out such songs, but doesn't not explain why the songs become popular.

It takes people to buy and to listen to the songs and artists to become popular. Couldn't that be the masses who are as the people of Gomorrah?

I don't think that is it. There are plenty of grunge message/title songs that are put out by not-so-famous talent.

In the 1960s, an experiment was done to see just what the American people would accept as "popular." They took 4 studio musicians, gave them cool outfits, a fun personality, and their own television show. The Monkees became a huge hit for the 3 or so years of their show (until Mike NeSmith quit). Even today, many people love seeing them. I know I went to a reunion show in 1987, and loved it.

However, when I think about it, I wouldn't compare their music to Mozart, or even to the Beatles.

IOW, we often just accept what is handed to us. We are mindless masses. You will find an accepting crowd for just about any kind of noise. And if it is played long and loud enough, the crowd will grow bigger as they first tolerate, then later embrace it. Rap music is a perfect example of this. Few people listened to any of it in the 1980s. But now Rap music suddenly is the biggest thing out there, as it finally crossed racial lines and the early listeners are now feeding it to their children.

Guest Godless

Of those three songs, the only one that I like is the Star Trek one (performed by a band called Edge of Etiquette). If you know where I can find a downloadable version of that song, please let me know.

As for why songs like that are popular, I think it has to do with bands marketing to the angst and rebellious nature of the younger generation. That's why bands like Staind, Slipknot, and Korn were so popular when I was in high school, and why bands like Three Days Grace and (insert angsty rock band here) are so popular among today's teens. Personally, I can no longer stomach music like that, with the exception of a few underground punk bands. All of these alternative rock bands sound the same to me, and many of them write music with wholly depressing themes like hate and depression. Marketing to the angst and emotional frailty of our nation's youth is a pathetic way to make a living. David Cross put it best when he said that "it's all angsty suburban teenage white girl music that shouldn't be coming from 30 year-old men."

But seriously though, if you know where I can find the full version of the Edge of Etiquette song, please let me know.

Hidden

Of those three songs, the only one that I like is the Star Trek one (performed by a band called Edge of Etiquette). If you know where I can find a downloadable version of that song, please let me know...But seriously though, if you know where I can find the full version of the Edge of Etiquette song, please let me know.

It was never released as an actual song, but the full version was found and passed around a few years ago. Write to my hotmail account (vortexman) and I'll send it to you.