Help I really want to be baptised. I have taken the discussions and attended services regularly. I pray and read. I spend all day while working listening to GA talks on my IPOD. I feel a true passion for the CHurch and the Gospel. Here is my issue. TITHING! I am a married woman and my husband controls our finances. At this point he has no intrest in the CHurch and is sure not going to allow me tithe 10% of our or just my pay. I do get occasional bonuses, babysitting monies and gifts that I would happily give to God. What happens though when it comes time for temple recomends??? I just want to get batised and be the best LDS i can be but this issue is eating me up. I feel like I will be looked down upon and will not get to exprience what peoples whose whole families are in the Church do. Will I not be a full tithing memeber? Is there others like me? HELP!

I have a few experiences that may help. I have not had a temple recommend for a while due to me letting various minor things get in my way. I have not felt ever that anyone in my ward has looked down on me because of it. Really most of the members have very little way of knowing if I am going to the temple or not because even though they may not see me at the temple on Ward or Stake temple days that does not prove I don't have a temple recommend it could simply mean that when they have those Ward or Stake temple days that my schedule does not allow me to go. Looking at it from that perspective then it will most likely only be a handful of members such as the Bishop and his counselors and the Relief Society President (in your case) or the Elders Quorum President (in my case) that could/would know. I am in no way trying to say it is not important to go to the Temple and I am working towards getting a recommend again but just pointing out that I believe there would be few members that know if you have a temple recommend or not.

As for the tithing I think if you pay as much tithing as your husband allows that should be good enough for God. I suggest you speak to the bishop of the ward you are currently attending.

Again I can give you an example from my life. The woman who was my wife stopped paying tithing on her income many years before our divorce. I simply paid tithing on my income and the years I paid tithing on all my income I declared myself as a full tithe payer because I felt that my income was in my control and it was my responsibility to pay tithing on it and the other income was not in my control and so was not my responsibility to pay.

I am sure you can be baptized and be the best member you can be and you will be able to work out how to pay tithing and know that you are doing the best you can in that area.

I would recommend prayer. The old saying, "God makes a way" seems appropriate. Talk to your bishop about your situation and together figure out the correct solution, whatever that may be. It may mean waiting until your husband has a change of heart. That's where the prayer comes in. But, whatever happens, God will provide a way.

1 Nephi 3:7

I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

No one will even know if you are paying tithing or not, we don't 'pass a plate' like other Churches do, we hand the Bishop or his counselor an envelope or even mail it to him in pre-addressed envelopes. So people can't look down at you cause they will not know unless you tell them.

If you do pay tithing it would only be on your income, not your husbands since he is not a member.

Tithing brings blessings, I can attest to that, but I believe there are times and situations that the Lord will understand -- perhaps your husbands resistance will mellow with time.