Explain Temples, Please?

I happen to live very close to the Chicago Illinois Temple, so a week ago I went over there and just walked around. It's an absolutely beautiful building, and even more so when night fell and the lights went on. I had never really thought about temples before, but this visit began to spark many questions in my mind. Hopefully you can answer them? ^_^

-Why are temples closed to the outside world?

-In what way are the ordinances that are given inside help me grow spiritually?

--related to both: is it selfish, therefore, to restrict access to Mormons only if everyone ought to be saved?

-I guess it's a sensitive subject, but could you please explain temple garments?

-What is the function of temple presidents and matrons?

-What is this "baptism for the dead" thing all about?

-How often to people usually visit the temple?

-If I were to convert to the LDS Church, how soon could I expect to begin visiting the temple?

I guess those are the ones that strike me right now, but I'm sure that more will come. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I happen to live very close to the Chicago Illinois Temple, so a week ago I went over there and just walked around. It's an absolutely beautiful building, and even more so when night fell and the lights went on. I had never really thought about temples before, but this visit began to spark many questions in my mind. Hopefully you can answer them? ^_^

I can try and answer some of them ;)

They are not open to all mormons either. Only those who are considered worthy to enter the temple - they are interviewed and given a temple recommend if believed to be worthy. This recommend gives them access to all temples worldwide. The reason they are closed to the outside world is because 1. You have to have been baptised into the LDS church before you can do any of the ordinances within the temple, so it'd be pointless allowing just everyone into the temple and 2. What goes on in the temple is considered very sacred, so if anyone could enter, I'm sure you can imagine a lot of it would be mocked by those who don't understand it. This is not acceptable. A quote you'll hear often within the church is "God will not be mocked".

You can probably find more detail and more clear explanations than I can give on the wiki page regarding this subject: Endowment (Latter Day Saints) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The first endowments members go through is their own. After that, they do them on behalf of the dead, in the same way the baptisms are done on behalf of the dead. These endowments done on behalf of the dead also serve as a reminder to us of the convenants we took in our own endowment.

--related to both: is it selfish, therefore, to restrict access to Mormons only if everyone ought to be saved?

Not really. The temple is not restricted to only a few people. Everyone has the opportunity to join the LDS church if they believe it to be true and that is the route they would need to take in order to go to the temple. There is no point in going to the temple if you don't believe what you are doing is right.

-I guess it's a sensitive subject, but could you please explain temple garments?

Every endowed member wears them. They are supposed to serve as a reminder of the convnants (promises between God and yourself) that were made during the endowment. They are also seen as a protection from evil.

They are the spiritual leaders of each respective temple. The matron is always the temple presidents wife. She is considered the spiritual leader of the women (i.e. she helps in matters where it would be inappropriate for a male to be involved) and the temple president is considered to be the spiritual leader of everyone within the temple. The temple president also has two male counsellors (and the matron has two female counsellors). The presidency as a whole has a large number of roles, they interview temple workers, talk to people going through their endowment for the first time, speak at temple worker meetings etc. etc. They are really there to keep the temple as spiritual a place as it should be.

Baptism for the dead is done by proxy. In other words, we (usually the youth do this) are baptised on behalf of those who have already died. The person who has had someone baptised on their behalf is then believed to be given the opportunity to effectively join the church. It is not believed they have to accept this.

It varies from person to person. There is no maximum or minimum limits set, though members who have recommends are encouraged to visit as often as possible.

-If I were to convert to the LDS Church, how soon could I expect to begin visiting the temple?

I have a feeling that it is a year, but don't quote me on this. I'm sure someone will correct me.

Edited by Mahone

I'll just take this one, because there's so much confusion about it (even amongst mormons).

You are saved through Christ alone, not temples. The Bible and LDS scriptural cannon both are very, very clear on this point - salvation comes through faith in Jesus Christ, repentence, baptism, and the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. You'll notice the word "temple" doesn't appear anywhere there.

To understand temples, you need to think about the differences between the words "saved" and "exhalted". We believe that there are levels in heaven (the "many mansions" Christ tells us about in the Bible). Exhaltation is what the Christ is talking about as he's mentioning how people will inherit everything He and the Father hath.

Most non-LDS Christians, from what I can tell, gloss over those verses in the Bible. They figure heaven is a place where folks spend the eternities in fervent worship of God. Mormons, on the other hand, belive the Bible means what it says about inheriting everything the Father hath. That's exhaltation, and that's what we learn about more fully in the temple.

LM

I'd really like to comment on the 'baptism for the dead' inquiry, mhansen. It is a very beautiful and moving ceremony that a member can do for their loved ones who have passed. I felt very bonded to my relatives when I went and performed their baptisms. It was a very moving experience for me. I truly felt the Holy Spirit was there and the peace and comfort I felt was almost overwhelming. I didn't want to leave the temple.

As it was explained to me by my very wonderful bishop, our loved ones have a choice. We do the work, but they do not have to accept it. It's not forced upon them. However, it is a gift that we give to them. At least that is how I believe it to be.

My father and grandmother were never given the opportunity to be baptized. It really wasn't available to them and my grandmother was far to shy and insecure to ever go through a church baptism. Her shyness was crippling. However, she is was baptized through me in the temple and it was truly a beautiful. It's a bit to hard to explain, so I'll just call it the "unexplainable, mysterious, presence of God."

I had never really thought about temples before, but this visit began to spark many questions in my mind. Hopefully you can answer them? ...

Before one can understand the role of temples for Latter-day Saints, one has to understand a little bit about LDS theology.

In Latter-day Saint theology and philosophy, there is no beginning and no end of an individual. We have always existed and always will. We do not believe that individuals will ever come to an absolute end state. Rather, we believe in eternal progression. In other words, an individual can always become more than what he was -- growth potential is infinite.

Obtaining a mortal physical body is part of this growth process. One had to progress to a certain point to be worthy of a body. The mortal experience provides the opportunity for individuals to grow and progress to the next phase in existence.

With all of this in mind, temples are defined in LDS scripture as houses of learning, houses of prayer, houses of faith, houses of order, and houses of God. Temples and the ordinances performed therein are part of the progressive learning and growth process. Nobody is prohibited from participating, but there is a particular order, or a particular series of steps that have to be followed before one is admitted. A first grader may be highly motivated and intelligent, but it would not be beneficial to that individual to put him in college courses until he is ready.

I'm going to make this quick as I can because its late.

Temples have always works this way. In the Bible only those who are spiritually ready are allowed into the Temple. Obviously the point of the temple is bringing a little piece of Heaven down to earth. This is something that isn't just a tour for everybody to come into, its a place where people need to be ready for (and to show it).

They help you understand more fully why you are on this earth, how we need to live while we are here (Being Righteous) and what is expected of us when returning back to be with Heavenly Father.

Not sure what you mean to be saved. The requirements for the Temple are the same for all. The steps and preparation are the same. If I was born LDS (Mormon) I don't get to skip any steps as those that came into the church later in their life. When God sets up the rules, I don't see anything selfish about it. God can do what he wants! Its for us to learn and grow to follow Him.

Sure, we believe the garments kind of serve two main purposes that I can think of (at this time of night).

1. Its a reminder of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

2. Its a reminder of the covenants we make in the temple.

Just as Sacrament is a reminder of Death and Atonement of Jesus Christ, the Garments also reminded us of what we have covenanted to do.

We feel as we obey these covenants then blessings are granted.

To run the temple. To make sure that things are run properly.

Is the main use of the temple. To do work for the Dead. The Atonement is for all people! Living or dead (which is good, because I wasn't around when Christ was). So most people today believe the Atonement's power extends beyond when Christ lived! We also believe the priesthood has a sealing power to bind on earth and in Heaven. So we do work for the dead. Something they didn't get a chance to do here.

We allow an opportunity for those that have passed on to have full access to the blessings of the Atonement (through Baptism, Priesthood, Endowment, and Eternal Marriage).

I'm sure the Missionaries can explain this more.

We try to go as often as we can. It depends on how close a temple is.

I usually try to go once a month, even though I should go more often. I have gone to the Chicago temple, I probably should have spent more time there. A very nice temple! Also the Nauvoo Temple is really nice (at night too) see my pictures in my profile.

As you progress, and follow the correct steps you could do baptism for the dead in as little as 6 months. Not sure if its sooner than that (I want to say 4 months). You can take out your endowments (Garments) and be married in the temple after 1 year.

Have you been talking to the missionaries?

[Have you been talking to the missionaries?

No, I've been researching on my own. My parents are fairly staunch Catholics, and I highly doubt that they'd be okay with me talking to missionaries. That's also why I haven't got a chance to go to a Sacrament Meeting.

No, I've been researching on my own. My parents are fairly staunch Catholics, and I highly doubt that they'd be okay with me talking to missionaries. That's also why I haven't got a chance to go to a Sacrament Meeting.

You never know until you ask. Most people have some idea about the church already.

I do assume you have a copy of the Book of Mormon?

Temples and sacred space has always been restricted by God. In Moses' day, the Tabernacle had different sections, which fewer and fewer people were able to access. The Holy of Holies was accessed only once a year by the chief high priest. It is because it is a sacred place, prepared for those willing to keep God's commandments and ordinances. If everyone was given access, it would no longer by holy and sacred, but be more like a baseball game or NASCAR race.

The ordinances tie us to God and our families (both living and ancestors). As we serve in the temple, we serve God and are able to feel His holy presence in our lives.

Everyone ought to be saved, yes. But God has always given restrictions on salvation. Paul warned about people partaking of the communion unworthily. Moses' Law required people to be clean before entering the camp or Tabernacle (this could require a week of cleansing, or for lepers it could mean being unclean through mortality). Gentiles were not allowed into the Temple in Solomon or Jesus' time, unless they were first circumcised and embraced the Jewish religion.

Today, All people are invited to enter the temple - once they meet the criteria that God has set for entrance.

The garment is an undergarment worn as a reminder of our temple covenants, and to remind us to be in the world, but not of the world. It is similar to a Catholic nun's habit, a minister's robes, or a rabbi's side locks - they are all to set the person apart from the world and remind them to be holy.

The temple president runs the temple and makes sure all things run properly. The matrons, as well as other workers assist him in maintaining the temple, tracking work, and performing ordinances.

We believe baptism of water and Spirit are necessary to enter into God's kingdom (see John 3:5). We believe God allows us to baptize the dead by proxy as was done in Paul's day (see 1 Cor 15:29). In this way, all God's children can have the opportunity to receive this ordinance or reject it.

It depends on the distance one lives from a temple. In the United States, some live just blocks from the temple, while others live 6 hours or more away. Over seas, some people live days by bus from a temple. For those who live within a few hours, we are encouraged to attend as often as we can, and each person is encouraged to set his/her own attendance goals.

People can attend the temple for baptisms for the dead almost immediately. For the other ordinances, as early as one year after baptism.

People can attend the temple for baptisms for the dead almost immediately. For the other ordinances, as early as one year after baptism.

Actually, it's one year after your confirmation, which may or may not be the same day as your baptism.