The Eviction of Mr. Clucky

Churchmouse

Mr. Clucky, the rooster, is being evicted from his Florida condo that he shares with his owner. Mr. Clucky is a bit of a celebrity in the area. Tourists have their picture taken with him and he once served as the Grand Marshall in a parade. The claim is that you cannot keep farm animals in the city limits. He has one more chance. The owner, a Mr. Buckley (no kidding) is challenging the decision in court claiming that Mr. Clucky is a pet. Pets are allowed in the condo.

I guess an unusual animal can be considerd a pet. I had an aid that used to be a police officer. He once got a call to a residence for a different reason. When he arrived there was a horse in the living room. That may be stretching it a bit, but a chicken. If Mr. Clucky has to go, so will his girlfriend Wallflower. Where is PETA when you need them? Instead of being concerned obout Obama killing a fly or people boiling lobsters they should protest for Mr. Clucky.

Does anyone have an unusual pet? Something that may not be seen as a pet often. I just have the usual things people in the country have. Dogs, cats and a horse. Of course there is also Harvey, a seven foot long Blacksnake. The plan was the kill him when he showed up this summer, but now that he has a name, I can't do that. It's not his fault he was born a snake.

Mr. Clucky, the rooster, is being evicted from his Florida condo that he shares with his owner. Mr. Clucky is a bit of a celebrity in the area. Tourists have their picture taken with him and he once served as the Grand Marshall in a parade. The claim is that you cannot keep farm animals in the city limits. He has one more chance. The owner, a Mr. Buckley (no kidding) is challenging the decision in court claiming that Mr. Clucky is a pet. Pets are allowed in the condo.

I guess an unusual animal can be considerd a pet. I had an aid that used to be a police officer. He once got a call to a residence for a different reason. When he arrived there was a horse in the living room. That may be stretching it a bit, but a chicken. If Mr. Clucky has to go, so will his girlfriend Wallflower. Where is PETA when you need them? Instead of being concerned obout Obama killing a fly or people boiling lobsters they should protest for Mr. Clucky.

Does anyone have an unusual pet? Something that may not be seen as a pet often. I just have the usual things people in the country have. Dogs, cats and a horse. Of course there is also Harvey, a seven foot long Blacksnake. The plan was the kill him when he showed up this summer, but now that he has a name, I can't do that. It's not his fault he was born a snake.

Actually i read Peta is against animal slavery and want to abolish pet ownership.

Taken from PeTa's own website:

We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"—never existed. The international pastime of domesticating animals has created an overpopulation crisis; as a result, millions of unwanted animals are destroyed every year as "surplus." This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. Their lives are restricted to human homes where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to.

Because domesticated animals retain many of their basic instincts and drives but are not able to survive on their own in the wild, dogs, cats, or birds, whose strongest desire is to be free, must be confined to a house, yard, or cage for their own safety.

Edited by hordak

• 1 year later...

Taken from PeTa's own website:

....This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. Their lives are restricted to human homes where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to.

they obviously have never owned a pet, specifically a cat. lol

as for the rooster i don't see an issue with one as a pet in the city limits, especially if there have been no complaints. though most cities do not allow "farm" animals (goats, horses, chickens, cows, etc). if they had a roost in the back yard with 5 or more chickens or something i could see the complaint. but one that lives inside? i think they should get over it.

Edited by Gwen

Wow, the rules for adopting an animal at the pound sure have changed since I was a kid. My 19 yr old son was thinking about getting a lab so he filled out an application he found online for our local animal shelter. It had all kinds of questions on it but we didn't think much about them. When he turned the form in the person at the animal shelter saw we had other animals, copied the contact info for the vet we use, called our vet asking if they had ever noticed any signs of abuse or neglect of our other animals when we bring them in for grooming or treatment then it snowballed. The lady at the vet of course knows us well so she called my wife at work getting her all upset. The animal shelter person said they even come to the perspective owners house to "inspect" making sure that we have a safe and clean environment, fenced in yard etc. SHEESH!!!! I understand and agree with the laws protecting animals but my goodness! Is it like this everywhere now? Back in the day they'd give you a dog or cat and I don't remember even signing a form. My son says he would rather buy a pup from the newspaper or a friend before going through all those hoops again. I'm afraid in thier attempt to protect animals they may be causing more to be put to sleep because it's so much trouble completing the adoption process that folks go elsewhere. :(

Wow, the rules for adopting an animal at the pound sure have changed since I was a kid. My 19 yr old son was thinking about getting a lab so he filled out an application he found online for our local animal shelter. It had all kinds of questions on it but we didn't think much about them. When he turned the form in the person at the animal shelter saw we had other animals, copied the contact info for the vet we use, called our vet asking if they had ever noticed any signs of abuse or neglect of our other animals when we bring them in for grooming or treatment then it snowballed. The lady at the vet of course knows us well so she called my wife at work getting her all upset. The animal shelter person said they even come to the perspective owners house to "inspect" making sure that we have a safe and clean environment, fenced in yard etc. SHEESH!!!! I understand and agree with the laws protecting animals but my goodness! Is it like this everywhere now? Back in the day they'd give you a dog or cat and I don't remember even signing a form. My son says he would rather buy a pup from the newspaper or a friend before going through all those hoops again. I'm afraid in thier attempt to protect animals they may be causing more to be put to sleep because it's so much trouble completing the adoption process that folks go elsewhere. :(

Yep - it's like that everywhere now (that I know of). I know of a guy who trains dogs for a living got denied adoption of a mixed pit bull (who are difficult to adopt out of shelters) because the cat he owns missed a follow-up vaccination shot. The pit bull ended up put to "sleep".

There is evidence that the national HSPCA and PETA share the same views on pet ownership - that owning pets is like owning slaves and pets deserve to be free. Your local SPCA more than likely, do not share this view, but they have to follow the procedures set forth by the national organization.

PETA does not support pet ownership.

Secondly, if you only knew the efforts put in place from rescuers and fosters, you'd understand how important it is that these procedures are enforced by shelters. They are doing their best to ensure a healthy environment for these neglected animals. If they allowed just anybody to take home a dog or cat, chances are that at some point, that animal will be abandoned or dumped off at the shelter--again. So although things on the questionnaire like: do you have other animals? What kind? How many hours do you work per day? Is your yard fenced? All may seem like an annoyance, there's a reason they're asked. If people can't be bothered to go through this process that's in the best interest for the animal, then they shouldn't be pet owners.

I've had a hard time with the SPCA before. Our neighbor was out of town and had a dog sitter for their pooch. The dog got loose and picked up by the SPCA. It was such a HUGE hassle to get him back. They were threatened with a criminal investigation for buying a dog from an illegal breeder (they got the dog from their sister out of state) and at one point were told to pick up the dog on such and such a date. When they called back to see if they could do it earlier a different person said they better because if they waited for the original date, the dog would probably be adopted out to someone else already. It was all just lame. All those homeless dogs, give the one that has a home back please:)

PETA does not support pet ownership.

Secondly, if you only knew the efforts put in place from rescuers and fosters, you'd understand how important it is that these procedures are enforced by shelters. They are doing their best to ensure a healthy environment for these neglected animals. If they allowed just anybody to take home a dog or cat, chances are that at some point, that animal will be abandoned or dumped off at the shelter--again. So although things on the questionnaire like: do you have other animals? What kind? How many hours do you work per day? Is your yard fenced? All may seem like an annoyance, there's a reason they're asked. If people can't be bothered to go through this process that's in the best interest for the animal, then they shouldn't be pet owners.

Sure, I get that. But a dog trainer not allowed to adopt a dog?

Being a dog trainer doesn't exempt you from the requirements and procedures upheld by the shelter. Generally, everyone who fills out an application to adopt a pet will need to meet certain criteria. With each dog or cat, the criteria may be different. But there may be more leniency with previous approved adopters that are reapplying within a reasonable time frame. Sometimes adoption declination is due to environment or other circumstances that have nothing to do with the individual applying. You can be the most knowledgeable and caring person in the world but if the environment is not suitable for the animal—you may not be the best candidate. But there are rarely major problems that arise that would prevent someone from adopting a pet. It's just a matter of going through the channels.

When I've done volunteer work, I would have to call landlords etc etc to verify that people COULD in fact have a pet at their residence. It isn't uncommon for people to checkoff "YES, I'm allowed to have a pet" and later down the road have to get rid of the pet because the landlord found out about it. So there's a little bit of footwork that goes into this stuff too. But if it helps lower the chances of an animal being dumped off at the shelter again or put up on a "free pet" ad—it's worth it :]

Being a dog trainer doesn't exempt you from the requirements and procedures upheld by the shelter. Generally, everyone who fills out an application to adopt a pet will need to meet certain criteria. With each dog or cat, the criteria may be different. But there may be more leniency with previous approved adopters that are reapplying within a reasonable time frame. Sometimes adoption declination is due to environment or other circumstances that have nothing to do with the individual applying. You can be the most knowledgeable and caring person in the world but if the environment is not suitable for the animal—you may not be the best candidate. But there are rarely major problems that arise that would prevent someone from adopting a pet. It's just a matter of going through the channels.

When I've done volunteer work, I would have to call landlords etc etc to verify that people COULD in fact have a pet at their residence. It isn't uncommon for people to checkoff "YES, I'm allowed to have a pet" and later down the road have to get rid of the pet because the landlord found out about it. So there's a little bit of footwork that goes into this stuff too. But if it helps lower the chances of an animal being dumped off at the shelter again or put up on a "free pet" ad—it's worth it :]

Bini, I think you didn't read my post. This particular dog trainer got denied adoption because his cat has a vaccination shot that was missed. So, let me rephrase this incident: a dog got put to sleep because this dog trainer's cat missed a shot.

Now, I completely understand what you're saying about checking to make sure that the dog/cat is going to a good home... but, time and time again, these guys would rather put a dog/cat to sleep than put a dog/cat in some loving pet owner's hands who deems their environment suitable - because, according to the SPCA, it is not.

So, it's kinda like some government telling me my house is not a suitable environment for a pet, when I know for a fact (because, I'm knowledgeable about the pet I'm trying to adopt) that my environment is sufficient - so that, they would prefer that the dog get killed.

Doesn't make sense to me.

P.S. I'm not talking about Rescues. Those guys are different. They don't run kill shelters. They put the animal in a foster home until it gets adopted. I completely understand their extensive process of finding a suitable environment.

I agree Bini that animals need and deserve better treatment. I just wonder a little if the current cure isn't sometimes the actual instrument of death for animals who are not adopted because of the long process. I'm glad our medical system doesn't use the same rule for us humans. If our house is messy....oh! can't go home, lethal injection is the best for you. Here ya go! ZZZzzzzzz.........______________

rescues may not kill the animals but they often have just as strict guidelines for the adoptions. which can be bad. means they get over crowded as well, are limited to the number of animals they can save, and need increased donations for the care of the animals. the animals have a better life than at a pound and a better life expectancy but... if they aren't getting adopted out then it's really not a rescue adoption group, just someone that has a lot of animals they have adopted.

rescues may not kill the animals but they often have just as strict guidelines for the adoptions. which can be bad. means they get over crowded as well, are limited to the number of animals they can save, and need increased donations for the care of the animals. the animals have a better life than at a pound and a better life expectancy but... if they aren't getting adopted out then it's really not a rescue adoption group, just someone that has a lot of animals they have adopted.

I will have to disagree with this. They have strict - if not more strict - guidelines for adoptions because they use foster homes for the animals. These foster parents give of their time and money to care for the animal until it gets adopted. They pick the homes that these animals go to very carefully because it is a RESCUE not a "placement". The new owners are expected to care for the animals as good as the fosters, if not better.

And I know this because the YW president in our ward is a foster mom to a doberman rescue organization. Not everybody can care for a doberman. You put a doberman in a home that is not ideal for its temperament and you are going to increase the perception of dobermans as killer dogs which is far from the truth. This is the same as pit bulls...

i got my dog from a rescue and my sister runs a rescue. some are more strict than others. some are just looking for loving homes that will keep them safe and healthy. others want you to treat the animals equal to your kids.

i will agree that the great thing about a rescue is they know the dogs. they can help match the dog to your family. that is how i got mine, i had an idea of what i wanted but wanted a good fit. i talked to the head lady and described my family, my philosophy for pets, our yard, etc. she recommended an adult dog they had for nearly a yr, i'd never adopted an adult dog and was very nervous. she has been awesome. i would recommend a rescue but with the caveat that they are all very different.

Bini, I think you didn't read my post. This particular dog trainer got denied adoption because his cat has a vaccination shot that was missed. So, let me rephrase this incident: a dog got put to sleep because this dog trainer's cat missed a shot.

Pardon the confusion. No, I was just referring to this one statement:

The system is not without its flaws. But in the overall scheme of things, the requirements and procedures put forth are better than none. As already mentioned, some shelters are more strict and some shelters are more lenient. I just wanted to make note that "kill shelters" get a bad rap. Yes, it's terrible that animals are put down but kill shelters wouldn't exist without unreputable breeders, uneducated and negligent pet owners, and overpopulation in general. Animals that people have shown zero interest in for X amount of time and or have some kind of illness are typically the first to be euthanised. It's always heartbreaking sending animals OTRB but the truth is that this allows room and the chance for new homeless pets to be adopted. I agree, there certainly are some shelters/rescues/fosters that have ridiculous requirements and make it virtually impossible for people wanting to adopt. It's unfortunate. But I was talking about the "in general" scenario. Should have clarified better.

they obviously have never owned a pet, specifically a cat. lol

as for the rooster i don't see an issue with one as a pet in the city limits, especially if there have been no complaints. though most cities do not allow "farm" animals (goats, horses, chickens, cows, etc). if they had a roost in the back yard with 5 or more chickens or something i could see the complaint. but one that lives inside? i think they should get over it.

.... If it's an inside rooster i hope it's caged most of the time, otherwise, ick.

I have a bird. He wears a diaper when he's out. For real! Avian Fashions - Home of the Revolutionary Bird Diaper, the FlightSuit!

Lol cool. diapering a bird never even occurred to me. that would work.

I've seen people potty train parrots.. dunno how well you could do that with a chicken tho.

Edited by Blackmarch