Latest terror from Global Warming

Vort

So are the glaciers still melting?

According to some of the latest data, the estimates of the size of artic melt was grossly overstated. Revised data indicated that artic ice has grown over the last year or two.

Last night I caught a part of a local radio talk show that interviewed John Coleman, founder of the Weather Channel regarding global warming. He calls it a hoax. I didn’t catch but the first few minutes of the program, but was able to find an archive of it on the net. He points out some interesting stuff. If you are interested in listening to the hour long program, and your computer has speakers, click on the link below. Note, the talk show actually starts in the 8th minute (before that is news, weather, etc).

http://pandora.bonnint.net/audio/2009_04_21_nightside2.mp3

Then, this morning, in honor of earth day, a different talk show, the morning show on the same station, also addressed some of this. Doug has always interested me when he touches upon global warming as he has often recalled an interview he did with Dr. Patrick Moore, one of the founding members of, and past president of Greenpeace. He refers to it again at the beginning of this show. Dr Moore disagrees with the political hoopla of “catastrophic global warming” even though he is a huge advocate of taking better care of the earth. Again, the show actually starts in 8th minute.

http://pandora.bonnint.net/audio/2009_04_22_doug3.mp3

Having heard some of these comments, I poked my nose around and found some other very interesting information.

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

We overlooked 193,000 square miles of ice

Don’t know if you had looked at the global warming debate much lately. The evidence indicating that Gore and the like are just sensationalists (and quite frankly, down-right liars) seems to be mounting as fast as the mainstream popularity of being “green” is increasing as a fad. I’ve always been skeptical, but never as much as I am lately. I’ve long contended that the cry of catastrophic global warming is as much of a red herring as some of the other flagship species that have been used over the years – semi-real issues used to force changes that conform more with personal desires than solving real problems.

Edited by ryanh

I remember around the time I was in high school, the big scare was that we were descending into an ice age, with human-caused pollution as one of the primary culprits in the cooling.

Same song, second verse.

Hidden

The weather is a chaotic system; it's easy to look at local temperatures that are cooler than normal and chortle over supposed global warming, but what matters is the overall global trends. With that said, I haven't really looked at the overall data and it is such a politically charged issue that it's hard to find data that aren't presented in a severely biased way on either side.

In short, I think it is definitely something to keep an eye on, but it also does not warrant the increasing hysteria it has gotten lately. I shudder every time I hear global warming mentioned whether it is the dismissive conservative "it is not even possible so don't worry about it" or the reactionary liberal "you should breathe less to lower your carbon footprint or we'll all die!"