New Testament

sixpacktr

Our Stake Presidency this year challenged all the members of the stake to read the New Testament and Jesus the Christ cover to cover this year. I can honestly say I haven't read the NT like that since my mission, because I am a Book of Mormon guy. I love that book.

But I have grown to absolutely love the NT this year. I will share just one of the passages that I feel really puts, very concisely, our life here on the earth as Christians. It talks of trials and of the healing power of the Atonement and our Savior's love for us:

5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

(1 Peter 5:5 - 11)

I have found great comfort in that passage. The Lord will allow us to be tried and will allow us to go thru trials, but afterwards he will make us perfect (holy), establish us, strengthen us, settle us.

Grateful for inspired leaders...

Our Stake Presidency this year challenged all the members of the stake to read the New Testament and Jesus the Christ cover to cover this year. I can honestly say I haven't read the NT like that since my mission, because I am a Book of Mormon guy. I love that book.

But I have grown to absolutely love the NT this year. I will share just one of the passages that I feel really puts, very concisely, our life here on the earth as Christians. It talks of trials and of the healing power of the Atonement and our Savior's love for us:

5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

(1 Peter5:5 - 11)

I have found great comfort in that passage. The Lord will allow us to be tried and will allow us to go thru trials, but afterwards he will make us perfect (holy), establish us, strengthen us, settle us.

Grateful for inspired leaders...

You will be very glad yu are taking on this challenge as you will soon discover many wonderfull things in the n.t that will definately strengthen your l.d.s testimony. I have been reading the bible for 6 years now and everytime i pick it up i find something new that reinforces l.d.s doctrine and scripture.:)

It has been years since I've read the NT, but I think I am gearing up for a re-read. I just finished Gerald Lund's "Fisher of Men" series, which was enlightening in several ways, as to the lifestyle and challenges of NT times. I think I'll get a lot more out of the NT now that I have a little more historical background.

Kudos to you!

Hey, gang, the 40-day New Testament reading challenge awaits! It's only about 6.5 chapters/day (on average), which is about half as much as we were reading for the Triple.

I'll e-mail the schedule to anyone who wants it, and Pam's busily setting up forums for discussion as she did for the Triple Combination challenge.

Would be interesting to see input from some of our non-LDS brothers and sisters, too.